• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
In an article from Gamesindustry.biz about Piracy , they mentioned an interesting piece of info regarding Capcom and PC

As an example of how cautiously the industry approached digital distribution, Capcom initially refused to digitally distribute the PC version of Devil May Cry 4 or some of its other titles apparently due to piracy concerns. In a rare bit of candor about internal disagreements, the company's North and South American vice president of strategic planning Christian Svensson explained it was explicitly an issue of Capcom Japan not allowing the game to be sold digitally despite his own advice. Capcom Japan eventually came around and Devil May Cry 4 for PC would be released digitally in late 2009.

Before the HD Generation , A lot of Capcom output in the PS2/Xbox/GC/DC generation didn't get ported to PC at all and when it did it brought disastrous results like original RE4 port and OG DMC3 port , but starting from the HD Era Capcom started to port and disitribute digitally the vast majority of its games to PC in an incredible quality and became to some the benchmark of PC ports quality at that time , Most of the ports were ported by QLOC IIRC , It was said that Christian Svensson efforts were one of the big reasons that made Capcom Japan port their games to PC and distribute it digitally

Here is a link to the full article

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-01-making-the-piracy-problem-worse

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Times are finally changing, but it's amazing how long so many Japanese developers/publishers were/are stuck in that mindset for so long. Here's hoping moving forward more release their games on the PC, be it new or legacy.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Fearing for piracy just ended up with them releasing games 5 years later flr 20€ when they could have released it on the same day for 60. In that srnse they lost a whole lot of money

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom came around on it quite quickly, at least in comparison to other companies. Good on them.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A lot of Capcom output in the PS2/Xbox/GC/DC generation didn't get ported to PC at all and when it did it brought disastrous results like original RE4 port and OG DMC3 port ,

Yeah those are legit some of the worst ports in history i was really pissed back then, especially about RE4 it was really horrendous how badly they botched up those games.
Piracy was definitely not the issue back then but their unwillingness to even put a tiny bit of effort in porting these games so no sane pc gamer wanted to touch the crap they where trying to sell.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just what kind of piracy rate do these publishers think there's going to be? Even it it was something crazy like 20%. It still means increased sales, revenue and profits.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Makes a lot of sense seeing how Denuvo is getting some use from Capcom now a days. I'm glad that's over though. PC basically one of the best platforms to game on now. I remember in the past a lot of games would miss PC and you'd be forced to buy a console for several games. Now though, you find PC has games that are exclusive on consoles but not on PC such as Cuphead, Ori, SFV, and several other third party exclusives that don't cross over between consoles but are available on PC. I still have all the consoles anyway, but it's nice to play 60-144 fps at high res / settings when I can.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with Japan and being completely clueless about PC gaming?

These are huge mega corporations, do they not do research?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those are legit some of the worst ports in history i was really pissed back then, especially about RE4 it was really horrendous how badly they botched up those games.
Piracy was definitely not the issue back then but their unwillingness to even put a tiny bit of effort in porting these games so no sane pc gamer wanted to touch the crap they where trying to sell.
I distinctly recall RE4 launching on PC without any proper lighting lol.

Feb 24, 2018
What is it with Japan and being completely clueless about PC gaming?

These are huge mega corporations, do they not do research?
Probably didn't help that during the time period Capcom is talking about, devs in the west were pulling crap like Games for Windows, really bad DRM from Ubisoft (that they admitted didn't work but still use it anyway) and stuff like the infamous Online Pass, all while justifying this with trying to stop piracy which... I didn't, it actually encouraged it because of the piss poor service and quality.

No wonder the Japanese side was getting these ideas.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sven did a lot of good shit at capcom. He even fought for Dino Crisis, but alas. Probably one of the coolest people capcom ever had who interacted with the community.

This is funny to look back at now. Since PC is one of capcoms backbones now and is used to make other ports easier for future use.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Sven did a lot of good shit at capcom. He even fought for Dino Crisis, but alas. Probably one of the coolest people capcom ever had who interacted with the community.

This is funny to look back at now. Since PC is one of capcoms backbones now and is used to make other ports easier for future use.
Yeah, they became one of the best publishers in the PC port quality. Their engine was a beast compared to other ones of the time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I dont know why people are acting surprised.
At that time before Steam boom Capcom was not the only with this concern.
And I would dare say they were right.
Some time after Steam changed the game completely.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason Inticreates won't release Curse of the Moon on GOG.

Lot of Japanese publishers who don't really seem to understand the PC market at all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No joke, their PC output was one of the reasons I went console after 15 years or so of PC. RE was a joke. DMC3 was practically unplayable. Onimusha was a slideshow. Good thing things changed by now, but those were horrible days for PC gamers tbh, most of the interesting games either skipped PC or came with trash ports. To think that most Microsoft games are Play Anywhere games giving you console-quality experience on PC without even having to rebuy games... the days of shitty or non-existent ports seems so far away.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Dark souls was the tipping point for a lot of JP devs. When they saw the smashing success of that rush job a lot jumped in.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Sensible thinking.

I guess Denovo is helping them. Look at Sega and Yakuza 0. Even if they get 1 month piracy free, it's probably worth to port the game.

Zero piracy would be fantastic. Unfortunately even the consoles aren't free from it. It's just that pirating on the PC is piss easy.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It's like they just completely ignored that console piracy has been a thing pretty much since consoles started.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Sensible thinking.

I guess Denovo is helping them. Look at Sega and Yakuza 0. Even if they get 1 month piracy free, it's probably worth to port the game.

Zero piracy would be fantastic. Unfortunately even the consoles aren't free from it. It's just that pirating on the PC is piss easy.

Denovo has been a necessary evil. no matter how much people express their disgust for it (some with actual reason). preventing Day 1 piracy even on a week-month gap really has helped some bolster their confidence in the PC market.

Maybe there is some correlation, but Japanese publishers were already bringing stuff over way before Denuvo was a thing. This very thread is about DMC4, which doesn't have Denuvo. Besides, smaller publishers (NISA, Idea Factory, Spike Chunsoft, Koei Tecmo) still don't put Denuvo on their releases. It was already an ongoing process.

Onimusha was a slideshow.
I had the displeasure of playing the first and third games on PC.

They sucked. The first one had graphical problems such as Samanosuke constantly losing his head. The third had fake options. I constantly tried to change some graphical options, but they wouldn't change. And the controller mapping sucked too.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how you can be a high level executive without even understanding how piracy works.
People would have just downloded cracked isos, something way more convenient for them than getting out and buy the game.

Shantom

Oct 25, 2017
Sensible thinking.

You think it was sensible thinking to ignore the digital market just as it was taking off?
As for Denuvo, Capcom and Sega both had hugely successful PC games before it ever existed.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Chris Svensson did so much great work for Capcom, we as enthusiasts and gaming culture in general have been incredibly fortunate and privileged for the stuff he achieved despite the bureaucracy of Capcom

Capcoms PC business wouldn't be where it is at today without Svenssons hard work

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
That's why capcom never released PS1/PS2 games, right?

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
No... they're not? Phsyical PC releases don't even come with the full game nowdays or even with the disk in most of the cases.
Was that the case in 08? Seems like a moot point anyway if you don't want to digitally distribute your game, in that case you're gonna have to put it on the disc.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
That's why capcom never released PS1/PS2 games, right?

Capcom ported a lot of their PS1 games , most notable are RE1/RE2/RE3 and Dino Crisis 1 and 2 , and they were OK ports for their time , even Eidos version for RE2 and RE3 works on modern system without Critical problems

It is the PS2 era where they heavily decreased their PC ports

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Oh so this is the reason their PC games have shit support like the recent Mega Man X Collection. And the funniest thing ever is that DMC4 SE on PC is broken for a lot of users just like the X Collection because both use DirectX10 only which is kinda broken on Windows 10. They never fixed DMC4 and they'll never fix the X Collection too.

If they can't even support paying customers they shouldn't bother porting to PC anyway

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
No the pc versions were done internally that's why they weren't shit.

Capcom games ported by QlOC

Dead Rising HD Remaster Playstation 4 , Xbox One , PC
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition PC
Street Fighter X Tekken PC
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City PC
DmC: Devil may Cry PC
Resident Evil 6 PC
Remember Me PC
Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD Edition PC

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/QLOC

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese devs releasing on pc makes it easy to give up consoles. Now if only Atlus would see the light. But I don't see that happening.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sensible thinking.

What is the "worth"? No, seriously, what is the magical profits you say they are earning with using Denovo? You wouldn't have said it unless you actually have a number in mind, so say it.

Oct 31, 2017
No... they're not? Phsyical PC releases don't even come with the full game nowdays or even with the disk in most of the cases.
I think he worded it poorly by ssaying "physical is easier to pirate than digital", but almost nailed a main issue, which is another one: physical-only releases were easier to pirate than they were to purchase. Which is obviously a problem.
With digital growing year after year since 2004 and with stores having less and less shelf space for PC games, you needed to live in a very well served area to get your physical copy of a specific title, while I can wake up at any point in the middle of the night and purchase a digital game at whim.

Also, your rebuttal (bolded part) clearly doesn't apply for physical copies that weren't tied to online services, anyway. So it's misguided.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah it was early last gen, SE thought the same too when they were asked about FF13, there was even DRM with FF7 as far I remember correctly (that they later removed), I'm thinking its why a lot of japanese publishers don't/didn't want their games on pc.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Glad things have changed now - hopefully the rest who wont budge will soon follow (Atlus, Vanillaware).