• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-downloads-but-five-times-the-revenue-of-pubg

Epic Games' Fortnite is pulling in nearly five times the revenue on mobile than PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, despite garnering half as many weekly downloads.

According to figures released to Bloomberg by market intelligence firm Sensor Tower, Fortnite has generated $92 million revenue in 11 weeks ending on June 18, compared to roughly $19 million grossed by PUBG during the same period.

During the game's first weeks on mobile, PUBG peaked at 23.3 million downloads compared to the 3.4 million of Fortnite.

Although the figures don't include China, the notable absence of Fortnite on Android is reflected by its weaker showing in Asia; nearly two thirds of its gross revenue to date comes from the US alone.

In comparison, roughly one-third of gross lifetime revenue for PUBG has come from Asian territories, and one-third form the US.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Fortnite is built from the ground up as a F2P game full of microtransactions and (actually good) things to spend your v-bucks on. PUBG is a $30 game that has been transformed into a F2P mobile game and the cosmetics and additional purchase stuff is nowhere near as compelling.

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
How is Pubg mobile doing? They never seem to mention it but the game seems hella popular in South East Asia.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty impressive for them, though not too surprising. They do a good job on cosmetics and the battlepass is one of the best things I've seen in a F2P game.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
You cover up your cosmetics within the first minute of a PUBG match. I could care less about them. I usually just pick the most camoflague looking ones to blend in to the environment.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising. Fortnite is built from the ground up as a F2P game full of microtransactions and (actually good) things to spend your v-bucks on. PUBG is a $30 game that has been transformed into a F2P mobile game and the cosmetics and additional purchase stuff is nowhere near as compelling.
And that's essentially all there is to it. PUBG is really dying, I guess.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Main thing I'm taking away here is to stay the hell away from mobile gaming. It represents almost everything I dislike in gaming in general. See the new command and conquer.

On topic - Fortnite is doing phenomenally well. I wonder if Epic will ever undertake new projects again for console?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It has an estimated 350 million players. Fortnite has 125 million players across every platform. PUBG Mobile is damn big.

Did you see Android vs iOS market share worldwide?

It's like 80% Android and 17% iOS so why would someone even be surprised? Fortnite isn't available yet on Android.

China is the reign of Android (not Google tho), and considering consoles aren't popular there (banned until few years ago), they are all playing these mobile games.

In fact none of PUBG or Fortnite are even close to Arena of Valor / Honour of Kings.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Main thing I'm taking away here is to stay the hell away from mobile gaming. It represents almost everything I dislike in gaming in general. See the new command and conquer.

On topic - Fortnite is doing phenomenally well. I wonder if Epic will ever undertake new projects again for console?

What's that main thing? Fortnite has the same monetization on all platforms.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did you see Android vs iOS market share worldwide?

It's like 80% Android and 17% iOS so why would someone even be surprised? Fortnite isn't available yet on Android.

China is the reign of Android (not Google tho), and considering consoles aren't popular there (banned until few years ago), they are all playing these mobile games.

In fact none of PUBG or Fortnite are even close to Arena of Valor / Honour of Kings.

There is no Fortnite on Android tho.

Yes I am aware that Fortnite isn't on Android yet. I'm sure a lot of Android users will play it once it launches. The guy asked how PUBG on mobile was doing. I feel like I answered correctly? It was a shit ton of players. I think 'nearly three times as many people as play Fortnite on every platform' is a good comparison to show how big it is?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yes I am aware that Fortnite isn't on Android yet. I'm sure a lot of Android users will play it once it launches. The guy asked how PUBG on mobile was doing. I feel like I answered correctly? It was a shit ton of players. I think 'nearly three times as many people as play Fortnite on every platform' is a good comparison to show how big it is?

Still, There are way more Android phones out there than PS4+XB1+NSW and maybe even PC combined.

There are big countries like China and India where the only device you have in your house it's an Android phone.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will probs play fortnite from time to time when on commute just waitin for the android version to show up.

Sounds neat play on mbile while traveling and at home on switch, glad i got a good powerbank recently.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Still, There are way more Android phones out there than PS4+XB1+NSW and maybe even PC combined.

There are big countries like China and India where the only device you have in your house it's an Android phone.

I am aware. At the moment, PUBG has 350 million mobile players and Fortnite has 125 million players across all their platforms. Yes, when Fortnite eventually launches on Android it will pick up many more.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
GaaS doing work. Whoever taps into the next big thing and loads it with content to buy, will be laughing all the way to multiple banks.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How is PUBG on mobile monetized? Lootboxes or similar to Fortnite BR? Skins and Battlepass.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so we'll probably be seeing Fortnite's model in everything soon then, now that lootboxes have a nasty smell to them and you can make a lot more from it, if done well.

I'd presume so yeah. People love the Battle Pass. Although I still maintain it's not one to one with the quality of microtransaction purchases in Fortnite and in PUBG. The cosmetics in PUBG are essentially meaningless. You completely cover them with body armour and helmets after about 3 minutes in every game. They're virtually never seen beyond the loading in area. Fortnite doesn't have any of that so you're always showing off your wacky costume. Plus Fortnite's design encourages silly outfits (super hero stuff/sports tie-ins, comedy dances etc). PUBG is just modern military outfits and t-shirts. Haven't felt much desire to spend in PUBG at all despite playing it for about 100 hours. I've already spent as much on Fortnite DLC as I spent buying PUBG and i've only been playing BR for about five weeks. They've nailed the F2P model. It's got a strong carrot-on-a-stick model that keeps you wanting to put money in.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
In Lebanon, Fortnite is a phenomenon, especially with kids aged 8 years old and above, everyone is playing it or watching others play it.
I honestly do not understand the appeal of these Gaas games (Fortnite, PUG,.....)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It has a really good F2P model in terms of its micro-transactions, so not too surprising.

Hopefully the Android version isn't too long in coming.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
And that's essentially all there is to it. PUBG is really dying, I guess.
Chinese numbers. Still impressive that they managed to get that much there, but in the end PUBG relevancy in other part of the world is pretty much dying. The Chinese can have PUBG if they wanted it.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3.4 million downloads seems hella low for a Mobile game but the fact that those 3.4m made 5x as much as Pubg 23m is kinda of insane.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Fortnite hits android their numbers are going to double and damn those 300 million monthly revenue numbers are going to keep going up.

Well deserved imo, Fortnite is my addiction right now and my favorite BR game.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chinese numbers. Still impressive that they managed to get that much there, but in the end PUBG relevancy in other part of the world is pretty much dying. The Chinese can have PUBG if they wanted it.
Is this real life? I mean, "The Chinese can have PUBG" is that a generous statement from your side because Chinese gamers don't count? And we saw just yesterday that 8 million people played PUBG on Xbox One family consoles with an impressive growth over the last three months. How can one consider it dying when it currently pulls numbers that many games cannot even dream to reach ever? There is really something wrong with Era and this game.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am aware. At the moment, PUBG has 350 million mobile players and Fortnite has 125 million players across all their platforms. Yes, when Fortnite eventually launches on Android it will pick up many more.
It really shows that Android is the least profitable platform, and it has been since 2012-2013 or something

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew has spent $200 on the game over the past month and I think it's a huge waste of money. For that price he only has like 16 skins and a bunch of items. Maybe Splatoon 2 has spoiled me, but spending that much on virtual clothes seems insane to me.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
It's still bizarre to me that people seem to adore Fortnites microtransactions (BattlePass) but hate almost every other monetization model in triple A gaming. Same with Overwatch.

I know implementation is a huge part of the appeal, but they're still locking content away.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Pubg mobile should get adapted for switch, money on the table. Should be interesting to see if Arena of Valor takes off, mobas have done so well on consoles.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Pubg mobile should get adapted for switch, money on the table. Should be interesting to see if Arena of Valor takes off, mobas have done so well on consoles.

No, please. No more. They've barely got PC in a playable state (and if you listen to most people, it still isn't). They dump pathetic patch notes with 3 or 4 ridiculously useless fixes and they've continued to ignore long-term issues that have persisted since EA. Please, no more platforms until they figure out the game on one of the ones they've already got.