• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Someone suggested the writer must be only paying attention to MS to think they're talking more than Sony, but that makes me wonder if people here are just too busy reading about Sony to know what's been up at XBOX.

I haven't been following either company closely enough to know, and I have to take whatever Resetera says about Microsoft vs Sony with a huge grain of salt.

An objective list of all that the two companies have discussed (both at events and with the press) is the only way I can feel informed.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone suggested the writer must be only paying attention to MS to think they're talking more than Sony, but that makes me wonder if people here are just too busy reading about Sony to know what's been up at XBOX.

I haven't been following either company closely enough to know, and I have to take whatever Resetera says about Microsoft vs Sony with a huge grain of salt.

An objective list of all that the two companies have discussed (both at events and with the press) is the only way I can feel informed.
We're on an enthusiast board that isn't branded one side or another. We get posts about anything that's important in the greening sphere. If Xbox was saying things, it would be here.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sony has adopted brevity... write less, say more... something that is proven to work well to engage with readers. MS have gone with big presentations again, that might work well for their intended audience but atm PS5 is the one that's trending more after every wired article.

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They are not gonna make a new page on ninth generation systems when only one system that could qualify exists. Heck, the page you linked alone has been flagged for deletion since 2011 because people didnt think the Wii U counted as 8th generation back then. Sound familiar?

Just because some trolls were going crazy around then, that's no reason to start altering video game history.

For now we still don't have a lot of concrete info on the 9th generation. Only one system has even had its name confirmed, the PS5. The overall count of major systems will most likely be down too with the assumption that there will be no PS Vita successor, and no dedicated Nintendo console/handheld. So we're probably looking at three major systems in 9th gen versus six major systems in 8th gen. The 9th gen should start solidifying in 2020 when we get more actual concrete data, but it could easily take until late 2025 or something until we see how the 9th gen actually shapes up and which systems it will eventually entail.

Sep 25, 2018
That's not the point. It didn't bring new technology into play, it's pretty much a powered Wii U. A gen only starts when the baseline development platform changes and as for now, the baseline is the PS4/xone.
You won't see official media claiming switch is 9th gen, not even Wikipedia considers it, less do ERA and other gaming forums.

wikipedia is not official people change stuff on it every day

and a generation is not determine by power it's determine by the next system to replace the last system that the company is discontinuing

and yes there are people on era who already said switch is 9th gen and yes you can find links from other places beside Wikipedia that have switch as 9th gen

think what you want the switch is 9th gen Nintendo discontinue their 8th gen system Wii U it's really not hard to understand

9th gen switch, stadia, ps5 xbox teo

8th gen Wii U ps4 Xbox one

7th gen Wii ps3 360

6th gen GameCube ps2 Xbox

new gen starts for a company when the new system is Made to replace the old system

not graphics smh 🤦‍♂️

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I find it hysterical how articles like these can rattle so many cages. If there weren't at least S O M E truth to it, this thread wouldn't be as big as it is

Sep 25, 2018
Just because some trolls were going crazy around then, that's no reason to start altering video game history.

For now we still don't have a lot of concrete info on the 9th generation. Only one system has even had its name confirmed, the PS5. The overall count of major systems will most likely be down too with the assumption that there will be no PS Vita successor, and no dedicated Nintendo console/handheld. So we're probably looking at three major systems in 9th gen versus six major systems in 8th gen. The 9th gen should start solidifying in 2020 when we get more actual concrete data, but it could easily take until late 2025 or something until we see how the 9th gen actually shapes up and which systems it will eventually entail.

what concrete info you need? A system get discontinue and a new system come to replace it that's when a new generation start that's how it always been and like dude said since switch the only 9th gen system some websites don't open a 9th gen page until others are added no One need all the way to 2025 to know when a new system replace an old system

a mid gen refresh is a system that allow you to continue playing your same games on a new system for example ps4 games on ps4 pro and Xbox one on the Xbox one X

wii U games can't be played on switch it's not a mid gen system it's a whole new system ending Nintendo 8th gen Wii U

switch just like ps4 play ports from their older system PS3 and Wii U but it's still do not make switch a mid gen

next gen do not mean next level of graphics it means next generation of systems for the mass to play and the switch is the next gen for Nintendo this is their next system for the mass to play

I still don't understand how the few have so trouble understanding what's a next gen or not

i know why some try to ignore the switch as next gen when Wii U started 8Th gen first it had a 5 million head start so right now anyone Who wants to keep sony ahead is doing anything possible to discredit Nintendo 9th gen Switch because by time the new systems come out it will have a 50 million head start, so these are the things they say, it's a handheld, the graphics don't make it next gen and etc

problem with number 1 its a console a hybrid console that you can take on the go Nintendo call it their console so do every sales reporting place they do not compare its sales against handheld sales only us on era do that. all the sales places compare it with past home consoles.

problem with number 2 graphics never determine a system being next gen or not.....the Wii was Weaker than 360 and PS3 but it was still part of generation 7 with 360 and PS3

say what you want switch is 9th gen and it will have a 50 mill head start on every other 9th gen system

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
A 50 million head start, Nintendo are really ahead of the game gosh. Why didn't Sony and Microsoft think to release a 9th gen console in the 8th gen? They'd be similarly ahead.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
wikipedia is not official people change stuff on it every day

and a generation is not determine by power it's determine by the next system to replace the last system that the company is discontinuing

and yes there are people on era who already said switch is 9th gen and yes you can find links from other places beside Wikipedia that have switch as 9th gen

think what you want the switch is 9th gen Nintendo discontinue their 8th gen system Wii U it's really not hard to understand

9th gen switch, stadia, ps5 xbox teo

8th gen Wii U ps4 Xbox one

7th gen Wii ps3 360

6th gen GameCube ps2 Xbox

new gen starts for a company when the new system is Made to replace the old system

not graphics smh 🤦‍♂️
By that logic the Slims / Pros / Revisions are new gens as well...

In my mind it's the games that always defined new Gens. The Switch is getting current gen games, not next gen games.

Sep 25, 2018
Will the Switch play the same games as the PS5? What's even the point you're making here

your point make no sense I can reverse the question will the ps5 play switch games ?

when Ps5 come out the ps5 games won't work on ps4 cause it's a new generation that's my point

ps5 games on switch or switch games on ps5 do not mean anything for next generation both will have games they can't play on either system because switch is not discontinue for ps5 two different companies

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You say Nintendo will be 50 million units ahead at the start of gen 9, which is a completely nonsensical stance considering the Switch will not share a library (and by extension, target audience) with the consoles that will release in that timeframe.

Explain the relevance of the "gen 9" distinction you were trying to make, I guess.

Oct 31, 2017
I find it hysterical how articles like these can rattle so many cages. If there weren't at least S O M E truth to it, this thread wouldn't be as big as it is
There isn't any truth to the article. The author is totally delusional and out of touch with reality. The only reason the thread is long is that some people feel a need to defend the author's baseless stance and they are clashing with the ones that find it ridiculous. I find the whole thread hilarious to be honest. I thought it would be dead by now but days later it's still going on.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
You say Nintendo will be 50 million units ahead at the start of gen 9, which is a completely nonsensical stance considering the Switch will not share a library (and by extension, target audience) with the consoles that will release in that timeframe.

Explain the relevance of the "gen 9" distinction you were trying to make, I guess.

the switch already doesn't share a target audience with ps4/xb1. people aren't buying switches to play live services and cinematic western games. they're playing value games (collections), retro and retro-style games, family games, and japanese games, with some western pc game crossover (doom, skyrim, diablo, fortnite, overwatch, etc).

people usually use generation as way to identify eras - not power, library, etc. the eighth generation was the generation where online multiplayer paywalls became standard, more integration with social media (share button on ps4, miiverse on wii u), the establishment of the mobile industry as its own mainstay (to the detriment of the traditional handheld market), and an overall and massive decline in hardware sales.

the ninth generation, so far, appears to be a bigger push towards streaming services and the idea of expanding the kinds of devices games can be played on. to that extent, microsoft got a start with gamepass, and sony introduced pc gaming into ps now, but this should be more integrated into future consoles from the start, especially as we see google making their move with stadia. the switch definitely fits into that as a piece of hardware, merging gaps that had previously been there a generation prior with the wii u - a system with a tablet controller that couldn't be played far from the system, and the vita, a handheld that was supposed to provide console gaming on the go.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It being a controversial and rather eyebrow-raising article is why the thread is as big as it is.

The talking points have already been debunked by several posters, but clearly not everyone ITT is as convinced, because you know, some people enjoy (for obvious reasons) when certain narratives are adopted regardless of how truthful they are, so are siding with the author. Why don't you let us know which parts are truthful and we'll see how many more pages this thread goes on for?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It being a controversial and rather eyebrow-raising article is why the thread is as big as it is.

The talking points have already been debunked by several posters, but clearly not everyone ITT is as convinced, because you know, some people enjoy (for obvious reasons) when certain narratives are adopted regardless of how truthful they are, so are siding with the author. Why don't you let us know which parts are truthful and we'll see how many more pages this thread goes on for?

To be fair, the only thing keeping the thread going now are the folks arguing over whether the Switch is 9th gen or not.

Lol

Not only is that completely irrelevant to the thread topic and the article that spawned it, it shows how little interest Era has in discussing the actual topic here that most are choosing to instead focus on that wildly pointless tangential argument.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Good sites report the news, bad sites try and force the agenda to get clicks. I guess this is going to be a long 6 months or so until both consoles are officially revealed.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
yea but if you don't speak on MAU and the other do you dominate the MAU talk ^_^
giphy.gif