• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Go on youtube and see the reaction to tlou2 and the social media reaction to ps5, sony our outgunning their competitors by a few social media posts. The day of sony relying on events like e3 are over, they are bigger than that.
Yet they still used the E3 timeframe to drum up news and hype for death stranding.
TLOU2 is releasing before next E3, hence the reason they are giving more information in different forms. E32019 was one of the least important E3s (or years period). Sony is already doing amazing this generation and they're clearly holding back many of their cards to announce for PS5. I expect whatever events Sony participates in next year will be massive.

If they go back to E3 in 2020, are you still going to say "they're too big for e3"?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yet they still used the E3 timeframe to drum up news and hype for death stranding.
TLOU2 is releasing before next E3, hence the reason they are giving more information in different forms. E32019 was one of the least important E3s (or years period). Sony is already doing amazing this generation and they're clearly holding back many of their cards to announce for PS5. I expect whatever events Sony participates in next year will be massive.

If they go back to E3 in 2020, are you still going to say "they're too big for e3"?

Whatever Sony does is what is the correct answer

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I agree with much of the article, in a way.

This is not a gaming website. it is a gaming industry website. They speculate about the businesses and whereas MS is giving the public lots of answers about next gen, Sony are not. As such, MS are indeed driving the "business" narrative. MS have been doing so for a while now. Forcing Sony to change it's corporate stance re: cross-play, against it's will, forcing Sony to adapt PS Now to respond to Gamepass which (despite any assertions to the contrary) is on a different astral plane as a service. I even get the impression that the Sony partnership with MS on Azure is a responsive move, rather than a pro-active one.

From Sony perspective, all they need to do to totally change the narrative in the short-term is release an amazing console with fantastic games and they get a lot of that back, but MS do give the impression of "Well, if we can't win at the game. Change the game". With Amazon and Google also entering the fray, the long-term strategy of just releasing a box and great games isn't one that will keep them as market leader.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have to shit on one platform to say something nice about another. That goes for fans too. If you want to write an article about having a good outlook on MS just do it. But I get it, there's a lot more PS fans to rile up and you can easily get your clicks, shares and threads.

Edit: Lol at the idea of this being a conspiracy

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The least successful Playstation console outsold every non-Sony console in existence, outside of the Wii, and had an outstanding library. Pretty sure the PS5 will be fine.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this article focused on the broader vision and how its being communicated. MS despite not being the market leader are dictating industry directions

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
lol

Microsoft is 100% the reason the disparity between the two is as large as it is.

Sony launched with mediocre games and started charging for multiplayer and both those factors were overlooked because Microsoft fell over themselves to slit their own throat.

All Sony did otherwise was...not fuck up.

Pretty sure that means MS wasn't 100% the reason.

Sony had to say least try to compete, not mess up, get things right for this gen to go the way it did.

And as much as some tried/try to say Sony was gonna do the DRM, always online too, that was wrong. Just the way the consoles behaved, act now says it all.

Imagine if Sony would have tried the exact same thing MS was trying to do. At that same price as the launch XBO.

Different goals, philosophies is the reason why this gen went the way it did.

It's also not just MS fault the reason the Switch is about to pass the XBO in sales. And that the Switch is just killing it right now.

Sometimes, we have to give the other companies credit for their success. I know, it's a wild concept.

The article gives some decent points about how Sony has had to respond to a lot of what Xbox is doing rather than lead the conversation, but I guess.
Isn't this article focused on the broader vision and how its being communicated. MS despite not being the market leader are dictating industry directions
Then this article writer hasn't been paying attention, or is purposefully overlooking Sony last gen and this gen. And EA. As far as cross play, Game Pass and streaming games.

Last edited:

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They may go back to e3 2020 but they certainly don't need it as proven by their current approach of releasing information. I am willing to bet we will have all we need to know about the ps5 directly from sony before e3.

Man a couple of articles giving an opinion on Sony's current plans and people are ready to draw a conspiracy that the media is working to destroy Sony.

Not a conspiracy it is pretty obvious what they are doing, like before the start of last gen. I expect more articles like this to the run up to next gen.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They may go back to e3 2020 but they certainly don't need it as proven by their current approach of releasing information. I am willing to bet we will have all we need to know about the ps5 directly from sony before e3.

Not a conspiracy it is pretty obvious what they are doing, like before the start of last gen. I expect more articles like this to the run up to next gen.

Maybe they're just giving an opinion on a few observations they've had. Idk though.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This article seems to be the polar opposite of reality. We know more about PlayStation's next-gen plans at this point and since spring.

"Is VR still a thing for it?"
It's the only one of the two delivering VR for consoles currently. Two months back they also revealed that their next VR platform will be purely for the next PlayStation and that they won't be going down the route of a dual/standalone-HMD.

"Is PlayStation Now as significant to them as Game Pass is for Xbox?"
I guess this article was written a week+ ago before slashing the price, including some major games like God of War & GTA5 and the release of a live-action ad...

"I confess I was a bit reluctant to write this piece initially."
Should have stuck to that thought and done a minimum amount of research.

Haha yeah this. Can someone put an official letter together with the ERA logo on the top header and then just copy and paste it and mail it on over.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I agree with much of the article, in a way.

This is not a gaming website. it is a gaming industry website. They speculate about the businesses and whereas MS is giving the public lots of answers about next gen, Sony are not. As such, MS are indeed driving the "business" narrative. MS have been doing so for a while now. Forcing Sony to change it's corporate stance re: cross-play, against it's will, forcing Sony to adapt PS Now to respond to Gamepass which (despite any assertions to the contrary) is on a different astral plane as a service. I even get the impression that the Sony partnership with MS on Azure is a responsive move, rather than a pro-active one.

From Sony perspective, all they need to do to totally change the narrative in the short-term is release an amazing console with fantastic games and they get a lot of that back, but MS do give the impression of "Well, if we can't win at the game. Change the game". With Amazon and Google also entering the fray, the long-term strategy of just releasing a box and great games isn't one that will keep them as market leader.
this is a smart take about the article point

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sony sells 100M consoles and has multiple first party games selling over 10 million copies... and yet they are still the underdog for next gen

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
"The industry is looking at games journalism to see what's the next hot topic. At the moment, negative sony news and positive xbox news is providing all the answers."

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

like how Xbox has been leading the conversation on cross play, backwards compatibility, services etc and Sony has been forced to respond. PlayStation didn't really give a shit about cross play or BC until the competition did it, and I'm pretty sure god of war wouldn't be on PSNOW if gamepass wasn't putting first party games on the service.

The article has literally nothing to do with Sony gloom and doom but people literally cannot handle anything that suggest Sony isn't the leader in something I suppose.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading the article...and then it just ends. I feel like it should have been longer to go more in depth into what exactly the writer was trying to say. Really didn't expand on a lot of his ideas/thoughts. So it just comes off as an attention seeking piece rather than a good analysis imo.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
like how Xbox has been leading the conversation on cross play, backwards compatibility, services etc and Sony has been forced to respond. PlayStation didn't really give a shit about cross play or BC until the competition did it, and I'm pretty sure god of war wouldn't be on PSNOW if gamepass wasn't putting first party games on the service.
PS didn't give a shit about cross-play with Xbox or Nintendo, well that's not accurate they straight up don't want to, so they probably give a shit. They were doing cross-play with others before the gen even started and the only thing the forced them to change was locking Fortnite accounts, as they had full cross-play and progression for that game from the get go and anyone who took advantage was getting fucked when they opened it up to XB1 and Switch.
Saying they'll have BC when every one of their systems but PS4 has had BC isn't a response to MS either, it's a response to the PS4 lacking it. They've said barely anything either, so hardly even a response.
Your guesses mean nothing, if they go full day 1 you'll have a point, they've had 1st party stuff on PSNow before Game Pass even existed.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Ps Folks: We're tired of press being baity and bashing PS

Xbox Folks:

EQ3W3eo.png

358e1fab46dc84a2ccedc2e20c88661df2904c1d.gif

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Price will probably be $499
You don't get what they are putting in there for $399
Yeah the cost to Sony has to be pushing $500+. But they can subsidize a lot. There's no denying that the $399 PS4 launch price was a huge part of why PS4 took the generation. They must have a huge war chest at this point so I won't be surprised if they shoot for the moon and come in at $399.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
honestly, the article talks about communication, yet from an outsides POV, Sony dominate the conservation on Social Media, PS5 is leading the trends.

I use this website for gamingjobs and it feels like this is a reaction from a person in the office who couldn't stand positive press about Sony, like their previous article cited 'our sources' and if you follow UK politics our government couldn't get a deal so they blamed everyone bar themselves citing 'sources'. at the moment it feels reactionary.

I'm not going to throw accusations out but I am getting increasingly curious of something being for negative press @ Sony, I've seen this site and one popular youtube channel who were pro Playstation until they couldn't get free stuff from sony any more and then Phil Spencer comes onto their channel and since then they have been pretty much throwing Sony under the bus and saying Microsoft as the toast of the town.

Sony gaming wise have dominated the market with a smart plan and strategy, they have at least 3 big titles releasing every year to near universal acclaim, meaning Halo is struggling to stay relevant in the shooters genre with the fortnites, cod's and destiny's of now. Gears 5 was amazing but was received among the populace to be better than God of War not really.

Microsoft have brought a ton of studios sure, but in terms of AAA titles against Sony, a majority of them and in no negative light against them cannot release a AAA title to the quality and acclaim of a Spider-man or God of War.

I personally know Sony staff here in the UK, to say their communication is poor is laughable. Sony had a quietish 2019 because they saw the future in 2020 for PS5 and this article cites less sales in 2019, erm it's the last year before a console is release and PS4's outsell Xbox worldwide but at least a few million.

Xbox honestly and I'm a fan of both consoles, concentrate too much on the west, from a standpoint of the article I can cite they are TERRIBLE in Japan, meanwhile Sony are amazing and so are Nintendo, does that mean Microsoft are dominating the conversation nope, they may be in certain areas but not WORLDWIDE

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Man this article is awful. It's like they want to drum up some kind of controversy around Sony as if anyone gives a fuck.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah the cost to Sony has to be pushing $500+. But they can subsidize a lot. There's no denying that the $399 PS4 launch price was a huge part of why PS4 took the generation. They must have a huge war chest at this point so I won't be surprised if they shoot for the moon and come in at $399.
If they are that ballsy I will pick one up at launch instead of waiting for a pro.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Anything else to add? Or you realize the you failed to make a point so doing a driveby because you have nothing else to say?
The XB1 was more expensive and weaker, there's no stretch in calling the PS4's $399 price point embarrassing for MS. It's not even the first they've embarrassed someone in such a way, they killed SEGA with a press conference segment that was just "$299"

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Anything else to add? Or you realize the you failed to make a point so doing a driveby because you have nothing else to say?
If you don't see nothing baity in a headline saying a company "humilliated" another, I really don't have nothing more to add.

EDIT: But tbh I HAVE something more to say. I don't agree with most of the article, in the sense that I think that with different approaches both companies are doing fine regarding how they anticipate their future plans. My point is that on the Xbox side we have had terribly baity headlines, articles saying Microsoft should sell Xbox to amazon, and even websites mocking Xbox on twitter but if someone dares to say media can have a bias against xbox is persecution complex. Yet there have been 9 pages overreacting over a single article, calling out the site as baity, and even calling out the entire press over bashing Sony.

There are people here developing a persecution complex OVER A SINGLE ONE ARTICLE.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I get what the writer is trying to convey, he just doesn't do it very well. For a business site, he's not really giving alot of figures and stats etc. He says MS is making inroads etc, but doesn't back it up with numbers. Is he just referring to an E3 show and some articles and ads?

And alot of people here seem to be bringing up BC, cross play, and services.

There own website has done articles saying crossplay has fuck all effect on mass consumer. BC? People seem to forget cell processer. It will be available next gen.

Services are there from each and with no official figures from MS for gamepass, it's a bit of a reach to suggest there gonna be leading the pack in 12 months.

And its far, far easier to get up to speed on services, than it is content.

Or Unless he's only talking about UK side only? Maybe the advertising there is different?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is down 40% YoY in UK? How much is XBOX down, then? Thanks MS in advance "for providing all the answers".

But seriously, there are a lot of hot takes in that article. And if the author had paid any attention, he'd realize that MS is doing "talk, talk, talk, talk" (sic!) since the very beginning.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Well yes, you mean like how most of them do it? Both the PS4 and the Xbox One were revealed in events before E3. That isn't anything new.
And very few companies need E3, but it makes for a damn awesome event for us, consumers (and especially us enthusiasts). A daily event every year to look forward to and to schedule around full of hype, excitement, and everyone having a good time.

Is that such a bad thing?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't see nothing baity in a headline saying a company "humilliated" another, I really don't have nothing more to add.
If you don't see how the weaker system being more expensive isn't embarrassing, you had nothing to add to begin with. The policies were completely reversed for a reason.
You could probably easily find a dumb article about how MS are desperate to sell off Xbox or something because PlayStation is too strong (edit: ah I see you brought this up in your edit), but you went with one that is a completely reasonable take after what happened at that E3. MS were embarrassed big time, they embarrassed themselves too though, wasn't all Sony.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox need only bring the games now. We're waiting (a long time already).

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I honestly believe there's no point in making this generation a spectacle. Every game won't be "visibly" next gen. There's a lot of small things that will make playing games better but for the most part, showing the system off doesn't make sense. The drip feed of text content makes absolute sense.

I doubt we will see Sony at e3. I doubt we will see a Sony reveal event. I absolutely believe we will see a stream of a prerecorded video showing off the PS5 called state of play.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I'm not worried about Sony at all. I'm still worried about Microsoft though.

Despite the excellent Xbox One X, the incredible value of Gamepas, and their promising Xcloud, I'm still worried about their exclusives.

As much as I used to adore Halo, love Gears and Forza, it's time for some new major exclusives, because that's what I personally want from a console.

Oct 27, 2017
They still got big games they don't want to outshine. They still have some left in the tank, everyone else is already looking for next gen. Tough spot.

Feb 21, 2019
Nah. Sony is still refining what it means to be a console gamer. I am curious to see what Microsoft does because as of now, they can';t go toe to toe with Sony on the games (exclusives) but they can leverage HOW they play the game.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
For a company that's been talking about next-gen since summer 2018 we currently know less about their next-gen console than we do about the PS5. Sure they also now and then talk about xcloud, but other than xcloud being a streaming service we don't know much about it.