• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thought this was a very interesting article. It was written in response to the recent PlayStation 5 news, and offers a perspective on both Sony's and Microsoft's plans for next gen and how they differ.

Sony's understated approach to PR in 2019 has been in direct contrast to Microsoft, which has done nothing but talk, talk, talk, talk all year long. Whether it's about new consoles, streaming platforms, subscription services, games... even family settings. Microsoft has been leading the conversation, it has attended all the big shows, and has been sharing its vision in a coherent way. Microsoft has a plan and is happy to tell us all about it.

In a year where you'd expect Sony to be setting out its strategy for widening the gaming audience, it has acted conservatively. It is behaving more like a business worried about protecting its lead rather than extending it.

Sony's PR strategy is perhaps understandable when you consider the criticism it has faced from certain media, particularly around cross-play. There are already commentators proclaiming the return of 'arrogant Sony,' yet the counter to accusations of over-confidence is humility, not avoiding the conversation.

There is no centralised clarity of vision, and regional teams have become frustrated by US oversight and sign-off procedures. It's perhaps no wonder senior names -- whether that's Shawn Layden or regional leads -- are using this opportunity to move on.

This uncertainty has reached the wider business. At the GamesIndustry.biz Investment Summit this year, one indie developer expressed fears that PlayStation "has stopped caring about indies." There's so much we don't know about what Sony is planning next. What are its third-party priorities? Is VR still a thing for it? Is PlayStation Now as significant to them as Game Pass is for Xbox?

It might be PlayStation doesn't quite have all the answers yet and isn't ready for the media scrutiny. Even so, it's not quite the confident showing you'd expect from the dominant platform holder.

PlayStation may have lost some charismatic names, but in Jim Ryan, Mark Cerny and Shuhei Yoshida, they've got some smart leaders more than capable of delivering something exceptional. But that's the thing... we don't know if Sony will do that next year. Is it going to invite the world's media back in? Is it going to face the tougher questions? Will it return to the big stages like E3?

There's some doubt around PlayStation now that wasn't there a few years ago. PS4 sales are slowing (in the UK, console sales are down almost 40% year-to-date) and the industry is looking at Sony to see what's next for the console business. At the moment, Xbox is the one providing all the answers.

Much more at the link:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-09-whats-going-on-with-playstation-opinion

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am much more excited for the Future of Microsoft, especially with Xcloud. But Sony will be fine, there is just a real possibility of next Gen being a more open fight this time.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sure sony will unveil all next year. If we don't have real concrete info at the unveiling then I would be a little concerned.

I just want to hear them talk about how important it is to them, that the system is as close to silent as possible.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And yet we know more about Sony's new console and its game streaming service (since it already exists) than we do about Xbox's.

I think it's fair to call out Sony for missing E3, but the notion that they haven't had a constant flow of communications or updates about the new system, its games or services is frankly bogus.

With respect to the new system, I think we'll get more information from both platforms closer to the release.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's been awhile since both will be on equal footing in their own way. I look forward to it. People are not use to a non stumbling PR Microsoft.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
There's some doubt around PlayStation now that wasn't there a few years ago. PS4 sales are slowing (in the UK, console sales are down almost 40% year-to-date)
Yawn at this doom mongering line. Of course sales of a console that's sold over 100 million are going to slow down and decrease near the end of its life cycle

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't feel like either of them are setting next gen up quite yet. Microsoft is doing a great job at establishing the tone of what services will exist within their ecosystem next gen; however, neither of them are really giving us much to grasp on in regards to what their next box will be. It would be great if Sony came out and announced a gamepass competitor that will be on PS5 to really catch my eye.

Both of them are just dipping their toes into the marketing water for their new console and it's hard to say which one will be more appealing until they jump all the way in. I'll be honest though, the existence of gamepass has me leaning more towards Xbox as of right now.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony isn't exactly known for disruptive innovations in games. Intense refinement, but not as experimental as Nintendo or as paradigm shifting as Microsoft. It's been their strong suit and their keys to overwhelming success, and not something I expect to change, nor is it something I think makes sense to change. Let the competition iron out the kinks and follow suit.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i cant believe that a console near the end of its lifecycle ain't selling as well as it used to

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This uncertainty has reached the wider business. At the GamesIndustry.biz Investment Summit this year, one indie developer expressed fears that PlayStation "has stopped caring about indies." There's so much we don't know about what Sony is planning next. What are its third-party priorities? Is VR still a thing for it? Is PlayStation Now as significant to them as Game Pass is for Xbox?

All of this has been answered already.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Funny how that article is stating the exact opposite than a lot of people in the Xbox thread about who is giving more and more interesting info.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why but I kind of thought GI was better than this. The article is incredibly premature. What did we, the public, know about the PS4 in October 2012? This reads like clickbait and is punctuated by half-truths and outright nonsense.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah - no, i doubt the industry is worried about the 100m consoles per Gen Sony provides them to sell their games.

These media hot takes are the reason why you cant take some outlets serious. Same way people act as if Sony has no streaming service and MS has been providing xCloud for years already and is the market leader. People love to be delusional just so they can push their underdog stories.
There's some doubt around PlayStation now that wasn't there a few years ago. PS4 sales are slowing (in the UK, console sales are down almost 40% year-to-date) and the industry is looking at Sony to see what's next for the console business. At the moment, Xbox is the one providing all the answers.

Console sales slowing down in its 6th year ?

Holy Shit.

Acting as if the Xbox is selling better YoY or more relevant outside of the US/UK.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So the answer is 'gamepass'? Because that's really the coal that is keeping the Xbox train running at this point.

I doubt it's going to be the big differentiator for long seeing how Sony is all-in on PS Now. They'll likely end up as very comparable services.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Why do people need all this theatrics, like it's gonna come out next year.....we pretty much know the specs when it comes to these boxes. Like I'm lost.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds more like some in the media are looking for something to write about, and are uncomfortable with Sony disengaging from them this year, at least in particular wrt next gen talk.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be brought back into the communication chain next year.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Article is kind of clickbaity and full of holes.

Gives me shades of those ridiculous articles before the PS4/XB1 launch.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where i live Microsoft does not have a chance unless Sony messes up big time. Microsoft can talk all they want, in the end everyone buys a PS5. They have a long way to go. In the end, all that matters is games, and that is where they have been lacking for a very long time. Sony can sit back and let the games do the talking, Microsoft has more to convince.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
So the answer is 'gamepass'? Because that's really the coal that is keeping the Xbox train running at this point.

I doubt it's going to be the big differentiator for long seeing how Sony is all-in on PS Now. They'll likely end up as very comparable services.
Well xCloud is exciting because the train of promises hasn't crashed into the wall of network realities, yet.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What a poor article.

Sony's understated approach to PR in 2019 has been in direct contrast to Microsoft, which has done nothing but talk, talk, talk, talk all year long. Whether it's about new consoles, streaming platforms, subscription services, games... even family settings. Microsoft has been leading the conversation, it has attended all the big shows, and has been sharing its vision in a coherent way. Microsoft has a plan and is happy to tell us all about it.

Except it has been the other way around, we've heard more from Sony this year than anyone else.

There's some doubt around PlayStation now that wasn't there a few years ago. PS4 sales are slowing (in the UK, console sales are down almost 40% year-to-date)

Someone has no idea how console sales work or is being purposefully obtuse, console sales slow down at the end of its life cycle.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
The next year of western video game articles is going to be so entertaining.

Lots of Sony is doomed and Microsoft going to dominate headlines until the consoles come out and then it's all don't read too much into initial sales.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this article is kinda of meaningless imo. I'm just not seeing this doom and gloom at all. They will reveal it all in due time.
Exactly

Especially when Sony still sold a good amount of consoles.
They will have their 2nd best year ever making a lot of profits and still have several AAA exclusives coming to PS4 although their new platform will come next year, so yeah of course they don't want to reveal all information yet, they don't need to

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why but I kind of thought GI was better than this. The article is incredibly premature. What did we, the public, know about the PS4 in October 2012? This reads like clickbait and is punctuated by half-truths and outright nonsense.
For what it's worth, In 2012 Xbox 360 was already becoming a PR issue with Don Mattrick and they were already on the downswing and Nintendo was dealing with a flopping Wii U. It was easy to be optimistic about Sony who had a really strong end to the PS3 generation. Now, Sony is up against an Xbox that has a lot of good going for it and a lot of momentum and a Nintendo device that is stomping everything in sales (I wouldn't use the world stomping in Europe though).

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Says himself that Sony is getting ready for next generation.
Console sales are down but the PS4 is still outselling the competition if you take a look at earning reports and compare Q1 and Q2 hardware sell-in numbers.
Everyone and their mother are talking about TLOU2, Kojima's next game and the PlayStation 5.
But 'Xbox is the one providing all the answers.' Lmao.
Awful.
john8pki6.gif

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, that was transparent, I doubt this article would have existed had yesterday's news not happened and trended worldwide.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well xCloud is exciting because the train of promises hasn't crashed into the wall of network realities, yet.

Is XCloud more than a buzzword yet? I mean we have tangible streaming products on Playstation, including console-to-PC/tablet/phone streaming right now. We've had it for years already.

I'm honestly unsure what people expect XCloud to bring to the table.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad MS has a clear focus now and even more confident that Phil is now fully in charge of decisions and budgets. We need strong competition in this industry and I hope both companies go all out next gen.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, In 2012 Xbox 360 was already becoming a PR issue with Don Mattrick and they were already on the downswing and Nintendo was dealing with a flopping Wii U. It was easy to be optimistic about Sony who had a really strong end to the PS3 generation. Now, Sony is up against an Xbox that has a lot of good going for it and a lot of momentum and a Nintendo device that is stomping everything in sales (I wouldn't use the world stomping in Europe though).

That's not remotely the point I was making. We know far more about the PS5 13 months out than we knew about the PS4 13 months out. We know at least as much about the PS5 as we do the next Xbox. The entire premise of this discussion is absurd.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only anecdotal but I've been much more invested and interested in Xbox in 2019 than PlayStation. I'm not surprised that PS console sales are down quite a lot too-it's gotten quite stale IMO.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible how Microsoft is already the winner of next gen, based on absolutely nothing but fucking... "feelings" ?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see enthusiastic media is hitting their normal newscycle when a new gen is announced :p

Yes the unknown grass is always greener...
what a way to seek attention. Journalism nowadays...click click click
Please never use the word journalism for the way these simpletons report gaming news...

ps3ud0 8)

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Is XCloud more than a buzzword yet? I mean we have tangible streaming products on Playstation, including console-to-PC/tablet/phone streaming right now. We've had it for years already.

I'm honestly unsure what people expect XCloud to bring to the table.
I should clarify. It's exciting if you write articles for a tech blog.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This article seems to be the polar opposite of reality. We know more about PlayStation's next-gen plans at this point and since spring.

"Is VR still a thing for it?"
It's the only one of the two delivering VR for consoles currently. Two months back they also revealed that their next VR platform will be purely for the next PlayStation and that they won't be going down the route of a dual/standalone-HMD.

"Is PlayStation Now as significant to them as Game Pass is for Xbox?"
I guess this article was written a week+ ago before slashing the price, including some major games like God of War & GTA5 and the release of a live-action ad...

"I confess I was a bit reluctant to write this piece initially."
Should have stuck to that thought and done a minimum amount of research.