• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eddman

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I have always liked PlayStation consoles, their exclusives and got excited by the info they revealed about PS5, but...

I'm mexican and living in Mexico and neither Sony or Nintendo give a shit about the latin american market, at least not like the awesome work Microsoft has done with our market since the first xbox. Game Pass is like the best service ever for economies with lower income.

I want to buy all consoles, but if my budget gets tight, I'll get only the MS console, since I find their services more consumer friendly; hopefully Sony improves in that front, PS Now is not even available in my country because our internet services are still too slow for streaming.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Sony has literally three timers the number of studios that Microsooft has - *after* Microsofts studio buying spree. And those studios have a much higher track record in terms of quality of game and score than any of Ms studios except Forza. Microsoft has a *long* way to go before it begins to have a competitive first party suite.
Do Sony have 45 studios? O_O

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
the best part of this article is the author's follow up tweets when he gets called out for how wrong he is. capital Y, YIKES

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Oh no, sales are flat or dropping for Sony. Too bad they have 100m sold ww and still selling base model at $300 (200 at holidays).

Let's hope they do better next gen! Those slackers!

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 is down 40% YoY in UK? How much is XBOX down, then? Thanks MS in advance "for providing all the answers".

But seriously, there are a lot of hot takes in that article. And if the author had paid any attention, he'd realize that MS is doing "talk, talk, talk, talk" (sic!) since the very beginning.

It seems the biggest problem is the reveal on Wired

lol GTFOH. So it is bullshit concern. And jealously.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not on some of the big aspects, we dont know about their commitment to BC, we do from MS, we dont know about plans for PSNow and its support for next gen, we do for MS, controller compatibility? VR? Launch games ? MS have been quite vocal about their intentions and commitment so far, more so then Sony, the article is right about that.
What a load of misinformed dredge.

This just further confirms that some people don't know what they're talking about at all, and are using what they know about to raise up Microsoft and bring down Sony.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You guys all made fun of Yikes but now the joke's on you and you're all saying it like normal. Ha!

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha. What a moron.
He basically acts like all Sony will do to reveal the PS5 are these two Wired pieces and the PlayStation Meeting ain't happening early next year ;D His article and tweets don't make any sense to me. I like how Sony is teasing us until they announce the PlayStation Meeting.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sony has literally three timers the number of studios that Microsooft has - *after* Microsofts studio buying spree. And those studios have a much higher track record in terms of quality of game and score than any of Ms studios except Forza. Microsoft has a *long* way to go before it begins to have a competitive first party suite.
lol

Both have 15 studios actually :)

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He basically acts like all Sony will do to reveal the PS5 are these two Wired pieces and the PlayStation Meeting ain't happening early next year ;D His article and tweets don't make any sense to me. I like how Sony is teasing us until they announce the PlayStation Meeting.
He also says he's never seen such a lukewarm reception to a console reveal. Like wtf.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It los them a fuckload of money. As a consumer l, though, they produced the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, with native HDMI in, HDCP support, backwards compatibility, and other stuff. So I didn't feel like it was a failure, even at launch. But it definitely was a failure for Sony.
Sony started making money on the PS3 in 2010 when it was at only around 20-25 million units sold. After making a profit, they proceeded to sell another 60 million units, not at a loss.

The PS3 was not a failure. It had a really rocky start, but it paid off for them in the end.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think Sony will follow all the steps MS is taking, and they will be more successful than MS (Kinda sad for MS to be honest)

Don't be. Sony will be more successful than MS in console market with PS5 even if MS would launch with better product. And that is ok as long as MS and Nintendo can manage to do good and profitable business in the same space, and Sony won't abuse it's success to keep blocking content from other platforms.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sony was doing so well yesterday morning with the buzz around the new PS5 info, only to apparently be doomed again by the end of the day.

They just can't catch a break I guess. :-/

Oct 31, 2017
It seems the biggest problem is the reveal on Wired

giphy.gif

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I still think sony are just teasing to send Microsoft into a false route, and then BOOM they will release more secret at the official release status. I could be wrong...

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Here we go again...
End of the day Xbox has A LOT more to prove going into next gen than Sony does, so of course they are throwing as much info out there to get as much attention as they can. Plus MS is turning into a service based business so will be pushing their services like XGP and XCloud.

Personally I prefer the way Sony are releasing info as nothing they have released at this point is worthy of a stage announcement. I like waking up on a random Tuesday/Wednesday and seeing the internet abuzz with new info.
No doubt if they did choose to announce this at an E3 or Gamescom it would be torn down for being nothing info.

I'm sure we will get an event next year with details worthy of the hype it'll create.

Plus as others have pointed out, how long ago was this written??

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I have always liked PlayStation consoles, their exclusives and got excited by the info they revealed about PS5, but...

I'm mexican and living in Mexico and neither Sony or Nintendo give a shit about the latin american market, at least not like the awesome work Microsoft has done with our market since the first xbox. Game Pass is like the best service ever for economies with lower income.

I want to buy all consoles, but if my budget gets tight, I'll get only the MS console, since I find their services more consumer friendly; hopefully Sony improves in that front, PS Now is not even available in my country because our internet services are still too slow for streaming.
Mexican here too, but Microsoft's services only exist because their lack of compelling games. Mexico's Black Friday is surprisingly generous, a year or two after launch, PS5 will be more than accessible and probably a better catalog. Which is funny because the first year is usually the slowest in console releases. The Switch is honestly a scam (price in Mexican pesos) but in our Black Friday, it often goes as low as 300 usd. Which is what it should cost in the first place, but you get my point.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Do you think PSNow is a legitimate competitor to gamepass when gamepass adds brand new releases at launch and every first party game releases day and date?

I get that Sony is making the right moves with PSNow, but until they commit to it in a way that Xbox has, it just is not as good as a service for people who want brand news games the day they're released.

Gamepass is probably the only advantage Microsoft has over Sony going into next gen. It's up to Sony to determine if it's a serious enough advantage for them to start offering new games at release.

I don't think gamepass is enough for Microsoft to "win" against Sony. I think Sony has the edge easily going into next gen, but I'd still like them to seriously compete against gamepass.
I think this has been discussed to death but right now Sony has the iron hot IPs selling millions.

They are not going to put day1 their Last of us 2, Spider-man, Death Stranding etc etc because these will sell tons. It wouldn't make sense to put them on PS Now. They can just keep adding their older catalog to it to increase the value (Unhcarted, GTA, GOW I think was added recently)

So you are comparing apples to oranges. The thing to note is that Sony has that streaming segment covered and they are following their own path on that front. It's ok that it's not a good value to you but it does reach a good portion of gamers who are into that. Since Sony has had a different strategy this gen, ps fans just have different expectations.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Worried about what? Sony is launching a product called PS5 next year and they have ~100mil loyal customers locked into it's ecosystem with PS4. They can't fail.

Worried about the way sony is not communicating with third party devs? It's literally what the article is about. Also people would have said that the successors tothe 360 and ps2 could not fail and look how that turned out. Both companies managed to turn things around but it cost them a lot of blood, sweat and money to do so.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't actually have to do anything. They've only been on top because everyone else messed up for the last 25 years. Except the Wii which is the exception that proves the rule. I don't see why this will ever change. All the other companies will continue to mess up or get bad luck and give it to Sony.

Sony's been on cruise since Twisted Metal 1 in 1960. They woke up for a minute to kill Dreamcast, and went back into a coma where they luck into success over and over.

Arrorgent Sony. Arongant sony. Ara.. Arrararwh...

Arrow
Gwent?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't actually have to do anything. They've only been on top because everyone else messed up for the last 25 years. Except the Wii which is the exception that proves the rule. I don't see why this will ever change. All the other companies will continue to mess up or get bad luck and give it to Sony.

Sony's been on cruise since Twisted Metal 1 in 1960. They woke up for a minute to kill Dreamcast, and went back into a coma where they luck into success over and over.

Arrorgent Sony. Arongant sony. Ara.. Arrararwh...

Arrow
Gwent?
1960, Damn lol

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every gen this is the talk, then every gen the two consoles perform and do the same stuff . It's fun journalism I guess, but both are just gonna be neat looking mid tier gaming pcs with custom OSs.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
So where is the concerning news??
Specs have only recently been confirmed to devs. But we knew that from Matt.

Something we also know is they've restructured and so there'll be job losses as departments are consolidated. For some reason he believes this is the PS5 reveal. And calls out those who point out Sony officials have confirmed the full reveal will be next year.

It's all very strange. GI.biz recently hosted an industry event and Sony didn't take part. MS where a keynote speaker. Maybe that's his grief? Unfortunately that thread has been jumped on by the usual fanboys. So he's unlikely to reply again.

What's he getting uptight for? Sony aren't even dropping bombs in the Wired articles, they're just dishing out tantalising tidbits. You can start your concern when Bloodborne 2 is announced in the fifth paragraph of a written piece that was published on a random Tuesday.
Just as the print press died away. We're now seeing digital sites sidelined by platform holders own news outlets. Ironically I think Wired is a print magazine. Although obviously this was exclusive online.

Last edited:

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Worried about the way sony is not communicating with third party devs? It's literally what the article is about. Also people would have said that the successors tothe 360 and ps2 could not fail and look how that turned out. Both companies managed to turn things around but it cost them a lot of blood, sweat and money to do so.

I didn't see any reason to worry about PS5 as that article was based on "one indie developer expressed fears" on a summit. And only Sony turned PS3 into success as MS haven't turned things around for Xbox even with the best console HW and free games (with subscription).

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like this new approach from Sony. Focus on current games that will be big. And drop hints/teases in articles about the future.

Kudos!

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
To me, the games matter most. Sony has had excellent first party and third party exclusives since the PS1, with the PS3 being the weakest link. I can't say the same for Xbox. It's been my biggest complaint of Xbox. Halo, Gears of War, and Crackdown never did it for me. 360 was the last Xbox console I owned.