• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
lol

Microsoft is 100% the reason the disparity between the two is as large as it is.

Sony launched with mediocre games and started charging for multiplayer and both those factors were overlooked because Microsoft fell over themselves to slit their own throat.

All Sony did otherwise was...not fuck up.
People keep saying this about Ps launch titles, but maybe the failure of the Xbox one launch titles was because... people thought they were mediocre too ? Also, everyone forgets that Ps3 had an amazing 2013 and 2014 with strong first party games. This LEADS to a lot of good will, you know.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Another doom and gloom article about Sony and obviously painting MS as the better positioned, like clockwork.
These articles are based on nothing but speculation, this one even worse since yesterday we had ps5 news, we had a recent price drop for psnow, and this week remote play has expanded to all Android devices.
Seem like paid by someone trying to change public perception of reality

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Its like the other article. It doesn't surprise me. It's like end of last gen where there was a bunch of articles that sony was in trouble and Microsoft was going to run away with it. The thing im surprised about thought is the guy that did the article is not in this thread trying to defend it like the last thread.

What was the other article?

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I prefer the way Sony is going about this. Drip feed all the boring little tidbits like how the SSD will improve things etc and then announce a show and blow it wide open with the big reveal and games.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another doom and gloom article about Sony and obviously painting MS as the better positioned, like clockwork.
These articles are based on nothing but speculation, this one even worse since yesterday we had ps5 news, we had a revved price drop for psnow, and this week remote play has expanded to all Android devices.
Seem like paid by someone trying to change public perception of reality

agreed. Phil Spencer tried to gift me an Xbox one x and a couple years worth of gamepass to express "delight and excitement" about the direction of Xbox but I told him no of course.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Article is spot on. That being said I fully expect era to do anything possible to prove that it is Indeed wrong and that sony is our one true savior.

I love Sony btw. Tlou2 hypeeee

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
This really isn't anything new.

Sony has NEVER been an innovator or a leader in the console space. They are really good at marketing and making their stuff look cool. But they've never been the ones pushing boundaries. Or making new concepts work. Their first controller was a glorified snes pad and clearly was made by people with no idea how 3d games were going to control. Nintendo introduced the analog stick, the concept of dual directional inputs (technically they did this with the dual d pads on the virtual boy, but the n64 pad was designed that people could use the dpad to move and the analog to aim if they wanted.) and expandable controllers.

Microsoft pushed essentially all of the innovation in the online space (after sega got the ball running and proved it could work, of course), and were responsible for the HDD and the push to consoles to act as media centers.

Sony beat everyone to the punch with PS Now....and promptly sat on it for near a decade while Microsoft, with a much smaller catalog of games, made gamepass a smash success right under their noses. And now the new features of ps now are to bring it in line with what gamepass has been doing since jump. Sony flirted with modding on consoles and cross play/cross buy. Microsoft made them happen. And when sony was approached about them, fought tooth and nail to prevent having to play with everyone else. (and I would argue that the only reason they are formally allowing cross play now is because they launch a new console in under a year, and do not want to be seen as anti consumer when people have a choice about platforms.

Hell, even when it comes to console engineering (which used to be a high point for them) they are lagging behind. Microsoft has gone from a giant console, to the weird almost suicidal mess of power bricks and faulty components that was the 360, to the X1, to the xbox one x, which is not only more powerful than the pspro, but manages to be substantially smaller, cooler and nearly silent because microsoft used a new cooling tech that consoles haven't used before.

It hasn't hurt them before, I doubt it will hurt them now.

What MIGHT hurt them is that both Microsoft and Nintendo appear to have hit on strategies that play well to their own strengths, and mitigate what have been their historical weaknesses. The ps1 launched against 2 consoles that were hard to develop for, and that had alienated 3rd parties. That's an easy win. The ps2 had momentum and the competition was either imploding financially, reeling from an unprecedented defeat but unwilling to make the changes necessary to prevent another, or just entering into the console business. The ps4 had an underpowered competitor that was DOA the second it launched, and their main competition was helmed by a guy who was only there to leverage his position into a better paying job at Zynga, which he would then run into the ground.

The only time sony has faced 2 confident, prepared, and popular (or at least not UNPOPULAR) opponents was last gen, and they spent much of it getting their asses kicked. It remains to be seen what will happen if sony can't rope-a-dope their opponents again.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Article is spot on. That being said I fully expect era to do anything possible to prove that it is Indeed wrong and that sony is our one true savior.

tenor.gif

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
An article posted by the op "Neat" is like the seal of approval that the article is a shit post or click-bait.

I don't know when you guys gonna learn.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
PSP Go which is all digital before the digital age really kicked off. PS Now has been going on since 2015 and even have PS Vue which is live tv streaming. They are the only major player pushing the VR space but nope XB has the answers apparently.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The PS5 news was just a cover up.

Sony Interactive Entertainment EU reportedly lays off "dozens" amid restructuring
US-based creative services also affected, employee notice given on same day as PS5 details announcement

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony Interactive Entertainment EU reportedly lays off "dozens" amid restructuring

Sony Interactive Entertainment's European branch has reportedly laid off "dozens" amid a multi-division restructuring.G…

If you say it is then maybe it is.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This might be my favorite tweet he's posted yet.

DOMINATING the conversation. Yes, just look at all the Xbox Scarlet discussion going on all around the internet. Microsoft isn't silent at all. Only Sony.

This is all so transparent.

I love Sony btw. Tlou2 hypeeee

No, the article isn't. Layoffs to creative / marketing departments aren't really indicative of trouble at Sony. If this was studio closures or something else, sure I'd be more "concerned". Yes, it sucks that people are out of a job, but let's not forget that this is dozens of people. That could be 24 people. It could be 99 people.

Sony not telling SIEE that they're announcing the PS5 isn't wild either. Information control in a big corporation about to announce their biggest endeavor leading into a new generation is literally as normal as it gets.

Last edited:

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
This might be my favorite tweet he's posted yet.

DOMINATING the conversation. Yes, just look at all the Xbox Scarlet discussion going on all around the internet. Microsoft isn't silent at all. Only Sony.

This is all so transparent.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions and all, but, goddam, I really don't agree with so much of what he said in that twitter thread.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This Christopher guy is just fucking sad. Reading his tweets it's almost like he's angry at Sony, maybe they kidnapped his family or something. Fucking hilarious!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
They have the most successful console of the generation approaching its last holiday season. Why blow that up with a giant megaphone about PS5 that you won't even be selling until NEXT holiday season?

Some guys who write are dumb.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't actually have to do anything. They've only been on top because everyone else messed up for the last 25 years. Except the Wii which is the exception that proves the rule. I don't see why this will ever change. All the other companies will continue to mess up or get bad luck and give it to Sony.

Sony's been on cruise since Twisted Metal 1 in 1960. They woke up for a minute to kill Dreamcast, and went back into a coma where they luck into success over and over.

Arrorgent Sony. Arongant sony. Ara.. Arrararwh...

Arrow
Gwent?
The Wii was a double edged luck Sword. Wii U was a super fail, which unquestionably played a role and should be credit at least 94.2% for the PS3's strong ending. Their luck is unbelievable.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
First impression is that the author is jumping the gun a bit. PS4 is on its sunset. They've already alerted people that PS5 is 2020. We should see the unveiling of their plans in due time.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking for products that provide the utilities that I need to deliver media entertainment in a way that is pleasing to me and my personal interests. I'm hoping that both Sony and Microsoft are able to provide compelling products for those that are purchasing one or both.

Can't be arsed running into every pro Sony or pro Microsoft thread to defend their honor like some. But it is super embarrassing to witness.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This doesn't explain the PS3 turning around and overtaking the 360 at the end of last gen.

Different scenario
As was the gen before it
And the one before that
And the one before that

You can't just apply the same rules to every generation in a world where the market changes all the time. Social media wasn't really what what it is now back in 05/06. Twitter for example only started in 06/07.

You think Microsoft would have survived RROD in 2019? I veeeeery much doubt that. It it still would have put a dent. People forget the pace the 360 was swelling until Kinect came along wasn't much. In fact, The Xbox One was going at the same pace for most of its life. You're also talking about a console that as we know, just doesn't sell much outside it's core 5 markets.

In the end, you're just never really going to see Xbox lead a generation in a world where there's so many markets they either have no presence in (by their own choice) or just sell poorly.

The PS3 turnaround shouldn't have been that much of a surprise to people. Again, in a world where social media wasn't a thing. In 2019, I doubt the PS3 turns it around as well as it did.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Sony has NEVER been an innovator or a leader in the console space. They are really good at marketing and making their stuff look cool. But they've never been the ones pushing boundaries. Or making new concepts work. Their first controller was a glorified snes pad and clearly was made by people with no idea how 3d games were going to control. Nintendo introduced the analog stick, the concept of dual directional inputs (technically they did this with the dual d pads on the virtual boy, but the n64 pad was designed that people could use the dpad to move and the analog to aim if they wanted.) and expandable controllers.

Microsoft pushed essentially all of the innovation in the online space (after sega got the ball running and proved it could work, of course), and were responsible for the HDD and the push to consoles to act as media centers.

Sony beat everyone to the punch with PS Now....and promptly sat on it for near a decade while Microsoft, with a much smaller catalog of games, made gamepass a smash success right under their noses. And now the new features of ps now are to bring it in line with what gamepass has been doing since jump. Sony flirted with modding on consoles and cross play/cross buy. Microsoft made them happen. And when sony was approached about them, fought tooth and nail to prevent having to play with everyone else. (and I would argue that the only reason they are formally allowing cross play now is because they launch a new console in under a year, and do not want to be seen as anti consumer when people have a choice about platforms.

Hell, even when it comes to console engineering (which used to be a high point for them) they are lagging behind. Microsoft has gone from a giant console, to the weird almost suicidal mess of power bricks and faulty components that was the 360, to the X1, to the xbox one x, which is not only more powerful than the pspro, but manages to be substantially smaller, cooler and nearly silent because microsoft used a new cooling tech that consoles haven't used before.

What MIGHT hurt them is that both Microsoft and Nintendo appear to have hit on strategies that play well to their own strengths, and mitigate what have been their historical weaknesses. The ps1 launched against 2 consoles that were hard to develop for, and that had alienated 3rd parties. That's an easy win. The ps2 had momentum and the competition was either imploding financially, reeling from an unprecedented defeat but unwilling to make the changes necessary to prevent another, or just entering into the console business. The ps4 had an underpowered competitor that was DOA the second it launched, and their main competition was helmed by a guy who was only there to leverage his position into a better paying job at Zynga, which he would then run into the ground.

The only time sony has faced 2 confident, prepared, and popular (or at least not UNPOPULAR) opponents was last gen, and they spent much of it getting their asses kicked. It remains to be seen what will happen if sony can't rope-a-dope their opponents again.
lol

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

So this is how your reality is on the console's war-verse ?

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Sony has NEVER been an innovator or a leader in the console space. They are really good at marketing and making their stuff look cool. But they've never been the ones pushing boundaries.

Eye toy in motion controls(2003)
Moves (they shared a presentation for early move technology before 2000)
psp's remote play
First console VR
with a design that the others follow now.

These are some of them

I will not talk about software, because there is a huge difference.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The next generation is not about who can offer the best future technology. It's more about who can package that technology into a coherent subscription model. With its price reduction and addition of God of War/Uncharted 4, Sony is signaling that they will consolidate all their users around PS Now service.

Crucially because PS Now offers game downloads, it essentially makes PS Plus obsolete. While Microsoft will offer two content services (xCloud and Game Pass) that charge separate fees, Sony will have an exclusively online gaming service in PS Plus (a la Live Gold) and an exclusively content based service in PS Now.

Even if Microsoft has a better server farm, xCloud is likely going to create redundancies for users. Game Pass and xCloud will lower one another's value propositions. Especially with Game Pass getting more expensive, I imagine a lot of users will have trouble justifying xCloud.

Sony's challenge will be transitioning PS Plus subscribers who are in it for the Instant Game Library onto PS Now. They have to figure out how to do that without creating immense confusion, and pissing off the user base.

Some possibilities:
–Tell users that by 2021, their Plus subscription will switch to a Now subscription, and new games will no longer be offered onto PS Plus.

–Grandfather users' Instant Game Libraries into PS Now, and offer them with streaming functionality.

–Keep Instant Game Libraries as a legacy service without streaming functionality, and give users the choice between PS Now and PS Plus to access them.

–Substantially reduce the price of PS Plus, being that it will only be an online gaming service, and let users keep their Instant Game Library without having to pay up for PS Now, which they might not prefer as a content model.

–Make online gaming on PS5 free, a la the PS3 days, and require a PS Now subscription to access legacy Instant Game Libraries (only downloadable).

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
The next generation is not about who can offer the best future technology. It's more about who can package that technology into a coherent subscription model. With its price reduction and addition of God of War/Uncharted 4, Sony is signaling that they will consolidate all their users around PS Now service.

Crucially because PS Now offers game downloads, it essentially makes PS Plus obsolete. While Microsoft will offer two content services (xCloud and Game Pass) that charge separate fees, Sony will have an exclusively online gaming service in PS Plus (a la Live Gold) and an exclusively content based service in PS Now. xCloud is likely going to create redundancies for users. It's going to be a fundamentally lower value proposition, even if Microsoft has a better server farm.

Sony's challenge will be transitioning PS Plus subscribers who are in it for the Instant Game Library onto PS Now. They have to figure out how to do that without creating immense confusion, and pissing off the user base.

Some possibilities:
–Tell users that by 2021, their Plus subscription will switch to a Now subscription, and new games will no longer be offered onto PS Plus.

–Grandfather users' Instant Game Libraries into PS Now, and offer them with streaming functionality.

–Keep Instant Game Libraries as a legacy service without streaming functionality, and give users the option to subscribe to PS Now to access them instead of PS Plus.

–Substantially reduce the price of PS Plus, being that it will only be an online gaming service, and let users keep their Instant Game Library without getting new titles.

–Make online gaming on PS5 free, a la the PS3 days, and require a PS Now subscription to access legacy Instant Game Libraries (only downloadable).

would you mind quoting the source for separate xcloud fees?