• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The "use your own console for streaming" will be free for everyone, because well, it's your hardware and bandwidth. Streaming from xcloud will certainly be included with Gamepass.
We don't know this. The most recent article I can find is from September, and there's no announcement of what the fees/subscription structure will be.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a PlayStation fan. PS4 was my main console this gen. That said I don't have blind brand loyalty. Prior to this gen, my main console was the 360. I've been a video game fan long enough to know that, historically, the company that is on top one gen might not be on top the next gen. I personally believe Sony has done a piss poor job explaining their next gen plans. That said, PS5 isn't coming out until next year, so they may just be keeping things close to their chest...BUT I'm really skeptical they can pull it off. Microsoft has been much more on point as far as messaging. They are way hungrier. I get the feeling they are determined not to have a repeat of the disaster that was the Xbox One. Stuff like Game Pass and cross play and their streaming plans for next gen, plus their push for backward compatibility, seem way more forward thinking than Sony, who is coming off as resting on their laurels a bit due to the success of the PS4. The apparent shake up/power struggle within Sony's higher ups, i.e. Sean Layden's sudden departure, doesn't bode well either. It makes Sony seem like they are confused and unfocused. I also get the sense that Sony is just relying on power again to sell the PS5, which is fine, but the market is much more different now than it was when the PS4 launched. Streaming is absolutely going to be big next gen, I believe, and Sony doesn't seem to have a clear focus on that front. Yes they have PS NOW, but they haven't had clear messaging or a plan on that front since it was launched. Their streaming plans are relying on Microsoft's servers for next gen. It's almost like they had no streaming plan at all and scrambled to play catch up at the last minute. I would love for Sony to prove me wrong, but they have been giving off all the wrong signals for awhile now, whether it be their response to cross play or their super awkward E3 presence the last time they were there to them dropping out of and canceling other shows/media briefings. I'm just not getting good vibes from Sony, unfortunately.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
User Banned (1 week): system warring over a series of posts
The Dual Analog Controller?
Shareplay?
Remote play?
PSVR?
PSNow?

Also, yeah, the Dreamcast was the first internet-connected console, but people forget that the PS2 had it's broadband adapter out a year in front of Xbox Live.

I won't be commenting on elements I have covered in other posts. You can see the reply to psvr and remotelyplay elsewhere.

Dual Analog: Dual directional inputs were I believe first used by the virtual boy. (I think technically you could have used them on the snes, but that makes my point even more.) It had a pair of d-pads. one for movement, one for the camera. The N64 was designed in such a way that the analog stick could be used to aim or to move and you would still have another directional input. hence the three prongs and the Dpad, analog and C buttons.

It's a bit rich to give sony credit for dual analogs when they launched a system without dual directional inputs of any kind, nor analogs and only put those in as one of their numerous rereleased controllers to compete with what nintendo had at launch.
It's like nintendo inventing peanut butter, jelly, sandwiches and as they are explaining how to combine all three, sony smashes them together and you say they created the PB&J. If sony gets credit for that final logical step, it is only possible because nintendo invented every element of it and brought them together and pointed out the necessity for such an option which sony had previously ignored.

Shareplay is a neat accessability feature. No shade there. Pity they paywalled it (MUCH shade there)

And I did not forget that the ps2 had braodband. But they didn't do anything especially useful with it. They had barebones online that put all the onus on the individual developers and caused online play to wary wildy in quality. Want to play Ratchet? Make a profile. Want to play killzone? Make another profile. Want to play SOCOM? Make yet another bloody profile. Want to talk to any of the people who you met playing any of these games and play other games with them? Hope you can find them on AIM or MSN messenger. Microsoft killed all that hassle in one fell swoop. Sony took what sega had done and largely tried to duplicate it. Microsoft did something new. Hence innovation.

PSnow is just sony's rebrand of Gaikai. A technology they did not invent, but bought after it was already established. It's like giving microsoft credit for inventing the fallout franchise just because they currently employ the people who made it.

See the lengths you have to go to here? See how other platforms don't need to make such stretches? I'm not saying sony is bad, or that you are dumb for liking them. I'm pointing out an area where they have lagged behind their competition. Microsoft has struggled with console build quality. Nintendo is reluctant to do anything online except sell things. Sony is not the most innovative company in the industry. Which is germane to this original post - specifically the OP was suggesting that is would somehow hurt sony going forward and I was pointing out that I felt it would not because it never had before.

I swear, only on resetera could I say 'Op is wrong, sony is not doomed' and be attacked for being insufficiently pro sony. (which is more a general statement than one directed at you, since you've been more respectful than most. Still, funny.)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To me, Sony barely saying anything about the PS5 isn't their trying to keep their lead or whatever; it's their wanting to keep everything under wrap so they can make waves when they eventually pull the veil off the console. They want a repeat of the PS4 media frenzy that gripped the industry back in 2012 and 2013.

It's how I've been perceiving the situation, anyway.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I will never get over how the sony faithful leap to defend a corporation so aggressively. I hope one day to love a woman the way you love a multinational corporation.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I am much more excited for the Future of Microsoft, especially with Xcloud. But Sony will be fine, there is just a real possibility of next Gen being a more open fight this time.
Yeah especially nin is back in the race it will be hard to dominate the market, but sony knows that and I think they cooking something real good.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I won't be commenting on elements I have covered in other posts. You can see the reply to psvr and remotelyplay elsewhere.

Dual Analog: Dual directional inputs were I believe first used by the virtual boy. (I think technically you could have used them on the snes, but that makes my point even more.) It had a pair of d-pads. one for movement, one for the camera. The N64 was designed in such a way that the analog stick could be used to aim or to move and you would still have another directional input. hence the three prongs and the Dpad, analog and C buttons.

It's a bit rich to give sony credit for dual analogs when they launched a system without dual directional inputs of any kind, nor analogs and only put those in as one of their numerous rereleased controllers to compete with what nintendo had at launch.
It's like nintendo inventing peanut butter, jelly, sandwiches and as they are explaining how to combine all three, sony smashes them together and you say they created the PB&J. If sony gets credit for that final logical step, it is only possible because nintendo invented every element of it and brought them together and pointed out the necessity for such an option which sony had previously ignored.

Shareplay is a neat accessability feature. No shade there. Pity they paywalled it (MUCH shade there)

And I did not forget that the ps2 had braodband. But they didn't do anything especially useful with it. They had barebones online that put all the onus on the individual developers and caused online play to wary wildy in quality. Want to play Ratchet? Make a profile. Want to play killzone? Make another profile. Want to play SOCOM? Make yet another bloody profile. Want to talk to any of the people who you met playing any of these games and play other games with them? Hope you can find them on AIM or MSN messenger. Microsoft killed all that hassle in one fell swoop. Sony took what sega had done and largely tried to duplicate it. Microsoft did something new. Hence innovation.

PSnow is just sony's rebrand of Gaikai. A technology they did not invent, but bought after it was already established. It's like giving microsoft credit for inventing the fallout franchise just because they currently employ the people who made it.

See the lengths you have to go to here? See how other platforms don't need to make such stretches? I'm not saying sony is bad, or that you are dumb for liking them. I'm pointing out an area where they have lagged behind their competition. Microsoft has struggled with console build quality. Nintendo is reluctant to do anything online except sell things. Sony is not the most innovative company in the industry. Which is germane to this original post - specifically the OP was suggesting that is would somehow hurt sony going forward and I was pointing out that I felt it would not because it never had before.

I swear, only on resetera could I say 'Op is wrong, sony is not doomed' and be attacked for being insufficiently pro sony. (which is more a general statement than one directed at you, since you've been more respectful than most. Still, funny.)

You said Sony has never been an innovator or a leader in the console space.

Posters here, including myself, are pointing out that's an incorrect statement, and they've provided examples of why it is not.

You also seem to be willing to give credit to other companies for innovating in the console space by applying a second standard: PSVR doesn't count because PC did VR first, but online play counts despite PC, the Dreamcast, and the PS2 doing it first.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Jesus man, you seriously should take a chill pill. Like it or not Sony has inovated and that's a fact. Can't bother to provide more details as other poster have done it and judging by your long ramblings, you like to listen to your song dismissing and may even say getting offensive, other people's posts. We get it.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gut feeling says Sony will have some really good stuff to show off next year. Hell, full BC across all of PlayStation would be incredibly tempting, since I've missed out on a number of older PlayStation titles. The only thing that can stop Sony is Sony.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
You can tell the current generation is coming to an end and a new one is about to start, when the doom and gloom articles start popping up. It never changes.

Don't take the bait.

Jun 23, 2019

Wow. You definitely have some kind of grudge against Sony to be this willfully ignorant. You want to say that Sony didn't innovate? Ok, that's your prerogative. Just don't try to take things that Sony has done and spin it into sounding like every single thing that Sony has done with Playstation is copying almighty Nintendo or whatever else corporation you want to prop up.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll never get over how the sony faithful leap to defend a corporation so aggressively. I hope one day to love a woman the way you love a multinational corporation.

Said that guy about the Xbox One launch

Because all of that was rectified before launch and the ps4's lineup for the first 2-3 years was abysmal.People forget that while microsoft was putting out games like quantum break and sunset overdrive and doing amazing things with KI support, sony was trying to convince everyone that the order was worth 60 dollars, and that the free copy of drive club that they promised for launch would arrive any day now, and totally not be a fraction of the game they promised. It got so bad andrew house apologized to the shareholders.

Pot... Kettle.

Consolewarz never change, I guess (looks like we're on the eve of another, if it ever stopped that is).

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of the term "FUD". Fear uncertainty and doubt, the next gen is truly upon us.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
reactionary article. but i wouldn't go far as to call it clickbait. it's a converstation worth having... civilly (spoiler alrert: and the world refused to change)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Posters here, including myself, are pointing out that's an incorrect statement, and they've provided examples of why it is not.

You also seem to be willing to give credit to other companies for innovating in the console space by applying a second standard: PSVR doesn't count because PC did VR first, but online play counts despite PC, the Dreamcast, and the PS2 doing it first.
Thread is attracting folks with hot takes, not worth it anymore. Sony is scrambling to play catch up with PSNow, lol.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not satisfied with Kaz hirai's bow from eight years ago. I demand another bow.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is as simple a narrative as Nintendo consoles are for kids.

It's not like Sony weren't pushing for camera/motion controls since the ps2 era. Or being the first console manufacturer to release a VR headset. Or being the first to streaming and game sharing over the internet. They revolutionized game distribution with the ps1. They made a huge push with user generated content on the ps3 as well.

Honestly if you objectively evaluate these console warrior narratives, they all fall to pieces.

It's only console warrior stuff if you think I'm saying "Sony doesn't innovate" which I wasn't, I've already responded to other people taking this post personally.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The PS5 isn't out for another year and people want a full reveal and game lineup by now. Calm down people. I would say by this point we know more about the PS5 than we do about the next Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
And yet we know more about Sony's new console and its game streaming service (since it already exists) than we do about Xbox's.

I think it's fair to call out Sony for missing E3, but the notion that they haven't had a constant flow of communications or updates about the new system, its games or services is frankly bogus.

With respect to the new system, I think we'll get more information from both platforms closer to the release.
But they aren't getting the details first so why won't Sony come back to he media!

"we don't know if Sony will do that next year. Is it going to invite the world's media back in?"

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Sony isn't exactly known for disruptive innovations in games. Intense refinement, but not as experimental as Nintendo or as paradigm shifting as Microsoft. It's been their strong suit and their keys to overwhelming success, and not something I expect to change, nor is it something I think makes sense to change. Let the competition iron out the kinks and follow suit.
Except that PlayStation 1 thing, the Blu-ray fight, Dslrs for awhile

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
For months now some outlets have been trying to spin a narrative in order to make it seem like there's a huge fight coming next generation that Sony is somehow completely unprepared for.

The truth is that Sony is heading into next gen with the exact same momentum they've had since 2013, while Microsoft has chosen a very different direction with their business, and they're doing very well for themselves too.

I understand saying it like it is wouldn't generate as many views, though.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that PlayStation 1 thing, the Blu-ray fight, Dslrs for awhile

Sony has been a disruptive force to reckon with, but largely not because of their innovations. They never sell their gimmicks as "the next big thing" until it already is the next big thing.

That was the idea that they rode the PS4 to success on., "This plays games. You share your games by handing them over to your friend."

My point was never that Sony doesn't innovate, just that they don't push those innovations as their main attractions to the scale that the other 2 do. Their most notable examples have been BD on PS3 and DVDs on PS2. It's kind of been a while since we've seen them get aggressive with something in that aspect.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Ultimately what its going to come down to is the games, and that is something that Sony has consistently knocked out of the park. Games sell consoles, not the other way around.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
this is the same site that reported that clickbait article that jason kind of debunked?

they are doubling down on their "Sony's messaging is confused and they are in trouble"

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm getting flashbacks to when Adam Sessler insisted that Sony would have online DRM just like MS, and that we shouldn't believe their PR.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oh, man I forgot about DVD (PS2) and Blu-ray (PS3) players in a console. And built-in wi-fi (PS3), and HDMI out (PS3)

They're small features, sure, but they were console firsts.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's gonna be right around even this run plus the Switch doing good.

I mean one advantage XBOX has is this guy is gone.
05-21Mattrick_Web.jpg

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is just playing it smart imo. They are keeping a lot of info on hardware, and their next gen titles under wraps until 2020 for the big events.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
"Scarlett is dominating the conversation"

Does Dring realise PS5 was trending on Twitter?

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
See, I don't get this. What MAJOR announcements have they been making? It seems like they've been continuing the same strategy for the last two years. There have been some acquisitions, but for me, it's felt like most of the stuff pertaining to the future of the platform has been hot air. I don't REALLY know anything specific about their strategy other than making gamepass more ubiquitous.
I think it might just be their announcements not being as interesting for you; for me stuff like the work they put into BC, the Gamepass stuff (specially on PC), the PC game announcements (like MCC), the number of studio acquisitions tell me that they have a plan on strengthening their position and addressing some of the complaints.
And this is coming from a mainly PC gamer who owns a Ps4 and not an Xbox.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will never get over how the sony faithful leap to defend a corporation so aggressively. I hope one day to love a woman the way you love a multinational corporation.

On the contrary, I really don't want a woman in my life to hate me like some people hate specific companies.
I find your posts extremely biased to even care about answering. Double standards ftw. I was really bored during my first answer but now...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Things are really simple, the way I see it.

Microsoft have been talking a lot these past couple of years because their business model has been significantly shifting towards subscription models and platform-agnostic gaming. They've created services, bought studios, to carve out their niche. Of course they've had to explain why they're doing all this, and how all that stuff is going to work to potential customers.

Sony's plan for next generation is simply a direction continuation of the strategy they've had for the entire gen. You know, that strategy that's going to allow Playstation 4 to go over 120 Million units sold or something, and that helped their first party titles break records left and right. There really isn't much to explain because the hardcore and casual markets alike are already very familiar with all that stuff.

But how about we make all that stuff sound really worrying instead ?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
"Scarlett is dominating the conversation"

Does Dring realise PS5 was trending on Twitter?

See, whenever an actual journalist makes claims like Chris Dring I expect them to have some information or data to back it up. You know, some comparative social media metrics, or some analysis involving actual numbers.

I've learned that this rule doesn't really apply to games journalism.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

You're absolutely right, but about VR specifically:

I've said this before, but to reiterate for this thread. Sony has been in the head-mounted display field since the early 90s releasing their first HMD product in '96. R&D into this tech and motion controls (PS2 prototype) led them to where we are now, and the PSVR is the natural extension of those years of R&D where the tech was able to catch up and is consumer grade. Not only this, but Sony's Magic Lab (Richard Marks, Anton Mikhailov) was already deep into R&D on Project Morpheus before the Kickstarter campaign for the Oculus Rift was announced.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think it might just be their announcements not being as interesting for you; for me stuff like the work they put into BC, the Gamepass stuff (specially on PC), the PC game announcements (like MCC), the number of studio acquisitions tell me that they have a plan on strengthening their position and addressing some of the complaints.
And this is coming from a mainly PC gamer who owns a Ps4 and not an Xbox.
Yeah my main platform is PC and I rotate between that and PS4 and switch for exclusives, but honestly other than a few things Microsoft has a lot of work to do for me to decide to resubscribe to their PC gamepass after this trial period. There is great stuff on there but so much of it has little appeal to me.

I am VERY excited for Master Chief Collection, but after that there isn't much else from them that's got me clamoring.

Sony and Nintendo meanwhile have me very excited for their future games over the next year.