• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Medievil - Second Party
Death Stranding - Second Party
Erica - Second Party
The above games are published by Sony, by a non-first party studio.

Concrete Genie - First P
Days Gone - Forgot that one - First P
MLB The Show - First P
I really don't know what point you're attempting to make.

Games like Death Stranding and MediEvil are first party games, the arrangement of who makes the game is not important. "Second party" is pseudo terminology that some people use in an attempt to diminish the impact of a first party game/production. All of these second party games are not only published by Sony, but are produced by Sony, using their resources, assets and in some cases assisted by some of their other studios.

In 2018 Sony had… Shadow of the Colossus (second party), Detroit (second party), MLB 18 (first party), God of War (first party), Spider-Man (first party) and as well as smaller titles that as you put it "flew so far under the radar". It was their best year this gen, and this year simply could not have been better.

You also forgot to mention Blood & Truth from London Studio released this year.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
This might be my favorite tweet he's posted yet.

giphy.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Said that guy about the Xbox One launch

Pot... Kettle.

Consolewarz never change, I guess (looks like we're on the eve of another, if it ever stopped that is).

Damn, lol
Pick a lane. Either define innovation as inventing something totally new never existed on other platforms, or define it as bringing something new to the console space, refine something already and make commercially accessible.

Your posts are full of contradictions.
On the contrary, I really don't want a woman in my life to hate me like some people hate specific companies.
I find your posts extremely biased to even care about answering. Double standards ftw. I was really bored during my first answer but now...

giphy.gif
You're absolutely right, but about VR specifically:

I've said this before, but to reiterate for this thread. Sony has been in the head-mounted display field since the early 90s releasing their first HMD product in '96. R&D into this tech and motion controls (PS2 prototype) led them to where we are now, and the PSVR is the natural extension of those years of R&D where the tech was able to catch up and is consumer grade. Not only this, but Sony's Magic Lab (Richard Marks, Anton Mikhailov) was already deep into R&D on Project Morpheus before the Kickstarter campaign for the Oculus Rift was announced.
Thank you.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This might be my favorite tweet he's posted yet.

DOMINATING the conversation. Yes, just look at all the Xbox Scarlet discussion going on all around the internet. Microsoft isn't silent at all. Only Sony.

This is all so transparent.

After scrolling through his twitter, everything makes sense now. He really likes Xbox.

And his only recent tweets about Sony are the layoffs.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Isn't there a way to google mentions of different things, I.e. how much they come up on the internet or something? I seem to remember something like that.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think it's entirely appropriate how Sony has been talking about the PS5 considering we're still more than a year out from the launch of that console. They'll no doubt have a full blow out with their hardware/software showing next year, which again, seems timely and reasonable.

On the other hand MS first mentioned their next gen console back at E3 2018, not even a full year after the X launched. I'd rather take the "teasing of bits and bobs" to slowly get me hyped for a console a year out than a company desperately wanting to talk about what's next, showing a talking heads video about "frame rates I've never seen before"

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yet another case of not having anything to talk about yet managing to churn out 20+ paragraphs about nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'd classify 200k likes on the tweet alone in a day or so for part two of slightly more PS5 information as lukewarm, but hey, who knows what the standards are.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
How about Nintendo though?
I can imagine the Switch getting access to xCloud, and PS Now based on the way the cross-play has been received. On the other hand, if xCloud and PS Now are successful, I can imagine iPad and Surface becoming a more viable gaming platforms, and slowing down the Switch's momentum. In fact, HD console gaming might be kind of impractical on the Switch. Personally, if I could get decent game streaming over my cell service, I'd be way more inclined to by a larger phone and use that as my mobile gaming solution.

Oct 25, 2017
"Why is this thread getting so much discussion."

"Ah okay, concern that it's somehow a sponsored hit piece Conspiracy. Okay then."

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'd classify 200k likes on the tweet alone in a day or so for part two of slightly more PS5 information as lukewarm, but hey, who knows what the standards are.

Some people can't adapt to change .
We live in a world where you just drop a trailer or news and it spread like wild fire and get ton of press\hype thanks to social media \ YT etc etc .
Seem he can't handled that or think you need to make a big show about every piece of news.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That was a cold take. Just pure speculation and fear mongering. I hope both consoles do well next gen.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
You have a point, though in fairness, everyone knows to call PS5 by PS5. People who don't follow gaming news would know to search for that. Who the hell knows what to search for for the NeXtBox? Most people don't know what Project Scarlett means. So I don't know that one term is exactly a fair comparison. Now of course that could easily be viewed as a negative for the Xbox brand, as the naming conventions aren't obvious.

Like try searching generic "Playstation" and "Xbox" and you get wildly different results. Do "Game Pass" and "Playstation Now". Etc. etc. You can make the matchup look like whatever you want by how you phrase things.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You have a point, though in fairness, everyone knows to call PS5 by PS5. People who don't follow gaming news would know to search for that. Who the hell knows what to search for for the NeXtBox? Most people don't know what Project Scarlett means. So I don't know that one term is exactly a fair comparison. Now of course that could easily be viewed as a negative for the Xbox brand, as the naming conventions aren't obvious.

Like try searching generic "Playstation" and "Xbox" and you get wildly different results. Do "Game Pass" and "Playstation Now". Etc. etc. You can make the matchup look like whatever you want by how you phrase things.

That's totally fair. I think in the context of this article and this conversation, it's okay to search both by their current known names and see what is trending for both. I just wanted to illustrate that speaking to the demographic of other enthusiasts (the people having the conversation), it's fairly ridiculous to say that"Xbox is dominating the conversation" without providing even a hint of tangible evidence. Like at all. His entire article is based just on how HE feels, which is frankly amateur.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
That's totally fair. I think in the context of this article and this conversation, it's okay to search both by their current known names and see what is trending for both. I just wanted to illustrate that speaking to the demographic of other enthusiasts (the people having the conversation), it's fairly ridiculous to say that"Xbox is dominating the conversation" without providing even a hint of tangible evidence. Like at all. His entire article is based just on how HE feels, which is frankly amateur.
Like, it's literally labelled an opinion article. That means it's...his opinion? I don't get it. Isn't the whole point of an opinion article to say what you're feeling/thinking about a topic? What am I missing? The site is to discuss viewpoints on the gaming business and try to forecast where it's heading.

gamesindustry.biz : The resource for people who make and sell games. [and, I would add, those who invest in them.]

Like, we're not the intended audience for this at all. He's not writing to or speaking for enthusiasts. Did you actually read the article? because the whole line is "Microsoft has dominated the conversation in 2019, but so what?" The sentence itself implies that it likely doesn't matter. Why get twisted?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony started making money on the PS3 in 2010 when it was at only around 20-25 million units sold. After making a profit, they proceeded to sell another 60 million units, not at a loss.

The PS3 was not a failure. It had a really rocky start, but it paid off for them in the end.
Rocky start is really underselling it. SCE lost a net $4.7B from 2006-2014 and it's very likely that PS3 wasn't profitable overall in the end. PS3's upfront losses were actually greater than the profit made from their previous two gens combined. Really the scale there was massive, far bigger than even the RROD fiasco ($1B) for MS was.

Also PS3 had shipped 33.5m by the end of 2009.

I think labeling PS3 a failure isn't accurate in some respects, Sony did very much turn it around and that helped well position them with PS4. It was also a vital component in Bluray winning its format war. But at least financially it's a tough one, PS3 would've ended about any other console maker bar MS.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Like, it's literally labelled an opinion article. That means it's...his opinion? I don't get it. Isn't the whole point of an opinion article to say what you're feeling/thinking about a topic? What am I missing? The site is to discuss viewpoints on the gaming business and try to forecast where it's heading.

gamesindustry.biz : The resource for people who make and sell games. [and, I would add, those who invest in them.]

Like, we're not the intended audience for this at all. He's not writing to or speaking for enthusiasts. Did you actually read the article? because the whole line is "Microsoft has dominated the conversation in 2019, but so what?" The sentence itself implies that it likely doesn't matter. Why get twisted?

I'm confused. Why have a problem with me showing a google trends report because "most people don't know what Scarlett is"...but then point out that the very audience he's writing to...should and probably do know what Scarlett is?

Also, an opinion would be like "I think Microsoft's approach is the more beneficial approach" not something quantifiable like "Microsoft is dominating the conversation". It just seems very amateur.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm confused. Why have a problem with me showing a google trends report because "most people don't know what Scarlett is"...but then point out that the very audience he's writing to...should and probably do know what Scarlett is?
I didn't realize you filtered the google trends search to only register the searches by gaming industry insiders and not the other half billion google users. My bad.

Have a good night.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I, for one was pleasantly surprised to finally receive confirmation that Sony's next system will indeed be called Playstation 5.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
If Sony builds PS5 with the Microsoft/Xbox mentality in mind of a solidly built box that plays videogames really well, they'll be set.

If Sony makes PS5 another Cell attempt or something even close to similar (which it appears they are not) then it'd be bad news.

It seems like Sony is just taking the answers from MS without having to do the work.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
You think the general public knows the code name of the next Xbox when talking about it?

Microsoft announced that name on a big stage and according to this article, that's the way to get the name out there and reach the most people. Something doesn't seem to add up.

At first, I thought this was just a badly researched article that needed to be posted quickly to benefit from the sudden PS5 news.

But after going through his Twitter feed, hell no. That's not the reason. It's classic console warring. People have preferences, journalists have preferences and that's absolutely fine. But that shouldn't have any influence on researching information properly and not spreading misinformation. That's just a bad look for GI.biz and the journalist.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Game Pass is a generation ahead. Microsoft is definitely going to have an early start in terms of knowledge of where the 9th gen is going to take the industry.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony builds PS5 with the Microsoft/Xbox mentality in mind of a solidly built box that plays videogames really well, they'll be set.

If Sony makes PS5 another Cell attempt or something even close to similar (which it appears they are not) then it'd be bad news.

It seems like Sony is just taking the answers from MS without having to do the work.

Funny thing is Microsoft had most of it figured out with the 360. Well balanced power, good price, backwards compatibility, building good relationships with 3rd parties, heavy hitting exclusives across a range of genres. The only real fumble in the early 360 years was the hardware reliability (a big issue admittedly!)

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh no i was quoting this

Is this guy serious? PS5 was trending on twitter that day.

The whole point of Sony doing the Wired articles is to give a little info out until the main reveal. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way. Sorry you didn't get any dibs.

Is this a joke?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I kind of agree with the article. Neither have really revealed anything of much of value about the next gen hardware other than what chip they're based on. Even the stuff sony put out the other day is fluff, just to get the PlayStation name trending a bit. Because the hardware reveal is still a ways off, the real conversation is on what type of plans, features/services we should expect next gen and that is where Microsoft is leading while Sony has remained silent. I don't think the silence is necessarily bad though as it's reminiscent of previous gens it just feels off because of how much Microsoft has been stoking the fire around the actual hardware.

This doesn't really prove much. Extend the years charted and ps5 hasn't really jumped all that much as it's a common iterative search term. Compare something like game pass and PlayStation now, which are newer terms from the last few years and you get an more interesting chart and you see why Microsoft has been talking it up.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This really isn't anything new.

Sony has NEVER been an innovator or a leader in the console space. They are really good at marketing and making their stuff look cool. But they've never been the ones pushing boundaries. Or making new concepts work. Their first controller was a glorified snes pad and clearly was made by people with no idea how 3d games were going to control. Nintendo introduced the analog stick, the concept of dual directional inputs (technically they did this with the dual d pads on the virtual boy, but the n64 pad was designed that people could use the dpad to move and the analog to aim if they wanted.) and expandable controllers.

Microsoft pushed essentially all of the innovation in the online space (after sega got the ball running and proved it could work, of course), and were responsible for the HDD and the push to consoles to act as media centers.

Sony beat everyone to the punch with PS Now....and promptly sat on it for near a decade while Microsoft, with a much smaller catalog of games, made gamepass a smash success right under their noses. And now the new features of ps now are to bring it in line with what gamepass has been doing since jump. Sony flirted with modding on consoles and cross play/cross buy. Microsoft made them happen. And when sony was approached about them, fought tooth and nail to prevent having to play with everyone else. (and I would argue that the only reason they are formally allowing cross play now is because they launch a new console in under a year, and do not want to be seen as anti consumer when people have a choice about platforms.

Hell, even when it comes to console engineering (which used to be a high point for them) they are lagging behind. Microsoft has gone from a giant console, to the weird almost suicidal mess of power bricks and faulty components that was the 360, to the X1, to the xbox one x, which is not only more powerful than the pspro, but manages to be substantially smaller, cooler and nearly silent because microsoft used a new cooling tech that consoles haven't used before.

It hasn't hurt them before, I doubt it will hurt them now.

What MIGHT hurt them is that both Microsoft and Nintendo appear to have hit on strategies that play well to their own strengths, and mitigate what have been their historical weaknesses. The ps1 launched against 2 consoles that were hard to develop for, and that had alienated 3rd parties. That's an easy win. The ps2 had momentum and the competition was either imploding financially, reeling from an unprecedented defeat but unwilling to make the changes necessary to prevent another, or just entering into the console business. The ps4 had an underpowered competitor that was DOA the second it launched, and their main competition was helmed by a guy who was only there to leverage his position into a better paying job at Zynga, which he would then run into the ground.

The only time sony has faced 2 confident, prepared, and popular (or at least not UNPOPULAR) opponents was last gen, and they spent much of it getting their asses kicked. It remains to be seen what will happen if sony can't rope-a-dope their opponents again.
It's hard to tell if this guy is playing a long con in which case it's funny or if he's this delusional.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree with the article. Neither have really revealed anything of much of value about the next gen hardware other than what chip they're based on. Even the stuff sony put out the other day is fluff, just to get the PlayStation name trending a bit. Because the hardware reveal is still a ways off, the real conversation is on what type of plans, features/services we should expect next gen and that is where Microsoft is leading while Sony has remained silent. I don't think the silence is necessarily bad though as it's reminiscent of previous gens it just feels off because of how much Microsoft has been stoking the fire around the actual hardware.

This doesn't really prove much. Extend the years charted and ps5 hasn't really jumped all that much as it's a common iterative search term. Compare something like game pass and PlayStation now, which are newer terms from the last few years and you get an more interesting chart and you see why Microsoft has been talking it up.
Lots of what has been revealed is extremely relevant and Sony continues to beat Microsoft to the punch in reveals especially related to next gen. The article is a bunch of fluff at best.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's because NFL Game pass comes up as the first search.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
wether what we see from the outside is truly indicative of the reality on the inside, the only thing that's certain is they've set themselves up to get an exponentially bad reaction if they fumble their announcement and launch messaging/plans.

its unlikely that will happen, but if it did it wouldn't be helped by the the tone they've cultivated, is what im saying.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
W
wether what we see from the outside is truly indicative of the reality on the inside, the only thing that's certain is they've set themselves up to get an exponentially bad reaction if they fumble their announcement and launch messaging/plans.

its unlikely that will happen, but if it did it wouldn't be helped by the the tone they've cultivated, is what im saying.
What tone is that?