• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
W
What tone is that?
being much more hands off and conservative with the info they share and their plans for the future, respectively.

its not an unusual thing for a market leader to do, but if it turns out people don't like what they have to offer the most anymore, it could trigger a great upheval. if what they've got is exactly what people want, then their strategy is correct.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
being much more hands off and conservative with the info they share and their plans for the future, respectively.

its not an unusual thing for a market leader to do, but if it turns out people don't like what they have to offer the most anymore, it could trigger a great upheval. if what they've got is exactly what people want, then their strategy is correct.
I mean are they? We know more about their box than Ms'. We know about their streaming plan, we know about how they view generations, we know when ps5 is even releasing. Are you sure they're not releasing info?,

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I mean are they? We know more about their box than Ms'. We know about their streaming plan, we know about how they view generations, we know when ps5 is even releasing. Are you sure they're not releasing info?,
we know about Microsoft's streaming plan too, lol. and yes, the literal technical aspects of each console going forward have been shared in equal detail.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And yet we know more about Sony's new console and its game streaming service (since it already exists) than we do about Xbox's.

I think it's fair to call out Sony for missing E3, but the notion that they haven't had a constant flow of communications or updates about the new system, its games or services is frankly bogus.

With respect to the new system, I think we'll get more information from both platforms closer to the release.
This is my take as well.
xCloud, with it's XB1 based hardware only streamable to mobiles, currently seems like the dumbest launch ever in the history of gaming. Slightly exaggerated perhaps. And what do we actually know about Scarlett? The latest memo is that it's the most powerful console MS has ever made... Well, duh.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
we know about Microsoft's streaming plan too, lol. and yes, the literal technical aspects of each console going forward have been shared in equal detail.
we don't even know the business model of MS streaming plan, do we? is it free for gamepass subscriber? is it available for all games beyond gamepass library? or is it separate subscription fee etc?

all we know is it will have free remote play function using your own xbox. basically same function as PS or Steam remote play.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
we don't even know the business model of MS streaming plan, do we? is it free for gamepass subscriber? is it available for all games beyond gamepass library? or is it separate subscription fee etc?

all we know is it will have free remote play function using your own xbox. basically same function as PS or Steam remote play.
sure, that's true.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
We know nothing about the Scarlett controller, so no, not quite equal.

And Sony began talking about their next PlayStation long before Microsoft did for Scarlett. We knew about it months before Microsoft's E3 video (which was basically nothing new).

We know the name of the next PlayStation, the release window, that bluepoint is working on a PS5 game..

We've seen video of the advantages of the SSD on PS5.

Sony has been way more talkative about nextgen.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
We know nothing about the Scarlett controller, so no, not quite equal.

And Sony began talking about their next PlayStation long before Microsoft did for Scarlett. We knew about it months before Microsoft's E3 video (which was basically nothing new).

We know the name of the next PlayStation, the release window, that bluepoint is working on a PS5 game..

We've seen video of the advantages of the SSD on PS5.

Sony has been way more talkative about nextgen.
what about the controller for ps5 has been revealed?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
what about the controller for ps5 has been revealed?
www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Which is exactly what I ask when Cerny hands me a prototype of the next-generation controller, an unlabeled matte-black doohickey that looks an awful lot like the PS4's DualShock 4. After all, there's a little hole on it, and a recently published patent points to Sony developing a voice-driven AI assistant for the PlayStation. But all I get from Cerny is, "We'll talk more about it another time." ("We file patents on a regular basis," a spokesperson tells me later, "and like many companies, some of those patents end up in our products, and some don't.")
The controller (which history suggests will one day be called the DualShock 5, though Cerny just says "it doesn't have a name yet") does have some features Cerny's more interested in acknowledging. One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.
ADVERTISEMENT

Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects.

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting context has been posted in the comment section of the story, about that last line (the sales).

In the UK, year to date PS4 unit sales are down by 40%; Xbox One is down 35%, both experiencing natural end of cycle declines. PS4 sales this year in the UK are still pretty robust at 94% of Switch and 1.64 times Xbox One. The last paragraph of this article is irrelevant to the overall thesis.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Well actually Netflix is deeply in debt. Their content quality has decreased precipitously over the past few years. They used to be at HBO quality. Now they're at like, CW quality for much of their content. And finally, games aren't movies/shows. Completely different investment in terms of time and money. We all know how technically demanding it is to construct a new game, vs shooting a film in a few months.
For example Red Dead Redemption 2.. probably one of the most memorable games this generation took 5 years to make. It sold bucket loads, and made a ton of money. But that's only because of the pricing model for standalone titles. vs Microsoft making a goofy ass budget game like Sea of Thieves. To me, it is damning that they want to funnel all their 1st party games into Game Pass.

RDR2 took 8 years to make not 5 years.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Microsoft announced that name on a big stage and according to this article, that's the way to get the name out there and reach the most people. Something doesn't seem to add up.

At first, I thought this was just a badly researched article that needed to be posted quickly to benefit from the sudden PS5 news.

But after going through his Twitter feed, hell no. That's not the reason. It's classic console warring. People have preferences, journalists have preferences and that's absolutely fine. But that shouldn't have any influence on researching information properly and not spreading misinformation. That's just a bad look for GI.biz and the journalist.

This is not console warring, this is a journalist not happy because Wired was the only source to have the information. When Sony go to E3 or do a conference all journalist have the same access to information. Here this is not the case.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Well actually Netflix is deeply in debt. Their content quality has decreased precipitously over the past few years. They used to be at HBO quality. Now they're at like, CW quality for much of their content. And finally, games aren't movies/shows. Completely different investment in terms of time and money. We all know how technically demanding it is to construct a new game, vs shooting a film in a few months.
For example Red Dead Redemption 2.. probably one of the most memorable games this generation took 5 years to make. It sold bucket loads, and made a ton of money. But that's only because of the pricing model for standalone titles. vs Microsoft making a goofy ass budget game like Sea of Thieves. To me, it is damning that they want to funnel all their 1st party games into Game Pass.
Do you mean the years they created shows like Glow, Big Mouth, Final Space, Dark Crystal or Stranger Things?

Lol, they even produced a best picture candidate winner of many other awards on pretty much every festival last year.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Premium top shelf cable content. Made from the finest ingredients and never frozen.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (4 Days): Inflammatory Commentary Surrounding the Media and Platform Warring
Looking at tweets this guy is totally a Microsoft fanboy.

Last edited:

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
This is not console warring, this is a journalist not happy because Wired was the only source to have the information. When Sony go to E3 or do a conference all journalist have the same access to information. Here this is not the case.
The Wired angle is fair to some degree. But from Sony's perspective, it didn't matter which outlet got the scoop. Sony's social media channels just posted the links and let the community spread the word. The traditional reveal will come early next year.

The other angle is this is a UK site and journalist. He'll have friends from SIEE on the PR/marketing side. With PlayStation having a more centralised US based structure run by Jim Ryan (former SIEE boss). Many of the journalists contacts will now be sidelined. Hence the discontent stories.

But this is a process that's been ongoing for a couple of years. Sony felt it wasn't efficient or sensible to have PlayStation Europe, US, Asia. Each with their own marketing and licensing strategies. Not when most of us get our news online and we have a global gaming community.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): platform wars
sony has rarely been a leading force in the industry, their forte is repackaging more than innovating

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Looking at tweets this guy is totally a Microsoft fanboy.

There should be an opencritic site with reviewer and journalist info. There could be statistics like this person rates RPGs or games of this company higher than others. And dossier with biased tweets and alike.
It was obvious it is a fanboy article. One day after Sony all the media around them. With good news...

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
sony has rarely been a leading force in the industry, their forte is repackaging more than innovating
K, but u wrong doe.

Like a lot of the things people are heaping praise on Microsoft for currently are essentially iterations on what Sony has done. BC, cross platform play, streaming, instant game collection — all Sony initiatives.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

WOw, at these hot takes.

Do you have any clue what Sony helped do in the previous 2/3 gens?

DVD, BLURAY, and putting games on disc from third party publishers over different regions was something Sony spear headed for multi-regional releases of games for the likes of Square, Capcom, ect.

Oct 30, 2017

giphy.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, if nothing else - this thread kind of shows me that Era needs far more Xbox representation as these conversations are always extremely one-sided.

There's a thriving Xbox community on this site though? I'm not sure this is relevant, this article is poorly researched, dribbling doomsday nonsense, the type which is always picked apart.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Preach. So many lousy takes about Sony not being innovative enough. Who even knows if VR will even be a thing on non-Sony consoles next Gen.

Personally speaking, I hope there isn't a tie between MS' next box and a VR device. If they were to do VR I would hope they go completely standalone like the quest. And even more personally, I would rather they not spend dev resources on VR games.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Sony has had notion controls before they were popular, they had modern VR before it was popular, and they also now have game streaming/subscriptions before they were popular. Sony is constantly innovating but they don't scream it at the top of their lungs like Microsoft PR do.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Nice drive by btw.

There's a reason Sony has been a market leader for as long as they have been in the console business.

Sony has had notion controls before they were popular, they had modern VR before it was popular, and they also now have game streaming/subscriptions before they were popular. Sony is constantly innovating but they don't scream it at the top of their lungs like Microsoft PR do.

So much truth to this.

Microsoft hoots and shouts about power of the cloud, and all that. But it's literally gone nowhere or at least had a good showing aka Crackdown 3.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Reading about the new Steam feature where you can play offline games multiplayer over the internet today. Everybody freaking out about how amazing it is when PS4 had this feature from day one... I played Resi Revelations 2 with a friend that way.

Same with all the xbox play anywhere stuff with scarlett - been available day one on PS4 with remote play but MS are "innovating" right?

XCloud game streaming on Xbox with next gen, amazing innovation, unlike the Sony game streaming available right now with PS Now...

Sony put out games like Dreams and push PSVR but they aren't innovative or forward thinking right?

Yeah I don't know what most the people are smoking here.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, it's not a joke at all.

Yeah you have to be joking.

Sony hasn't made the PS brand as successful as it's become by following what MS has done with XB. You don't get a large variety of games, first party studios built over 10 years to become what they are now, a world wide presence selling hundrends of millions of consoles, by simply following another company. MS would be the last company anyone should follow in that regard seeing how they've never sold as many consoles as Sony has.

Boiling down PS's history of success to just following MS is one of the most idiotic takes i've read. What is it about these articles that brings out such confidence in these factually wrong statements?

That "cell attempt" still saw Sony sell over 90M PS3's by the way. All thanks to MS i'm sure.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Personally speaking, I hope there isn't a tie between MS' next box and a VR device. If they were to do VR I would hope they go completely standalone like the quest. And even more personally, I would rather they not spend dev resources on VR games.
Have you tried Astro bot yet? I see vr as a huge differentiator for local gaming vs streaming; an absolutely perfect selling point if you're looking to sell physical consoles.

MS may not want to invest, but I see that largely as their loss and a gaping hole in what Xbox as a platform can offer.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you have to be joking.

Sony hasn't made the PS brand as successful as it's become by following what MS has done with XB. You don't get a large variety of games, first party studios built over 10 years to become what they are now, a world wide presence selling hundrends of millions of consoles, by simply following another company. MS would be the last company anyone should follow in that regard seeing how they've never sold as many consoles as Sony has.

Boiling down PS's history of success to just following MS is one of the most idiotic takes i've read. What is it about these articles that brings out such confidence in these factually wrong statements?

That "cell attempt" still saw Sony sell over 90M PS3's by the way. All thanks to MS i'm sure.
TIL Sony's gaming history started after the orig Xbox.

Like I said, this thread is attracting hot takes now.

And I don't know if it was mentioned, but the Cell thing had another maybe unexpected positive for Sony, their semi conductor business. That was news to me, it was mentioned recently in some financial report or article.

That the PS4 was successful because it followed MS success with the 360 is wild, lol. How about just focusing on games and making game development easier was what helped both the 360 and the PS4 sell consoles. Didn't realize MS revolutionized those 2 things.