• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 25, 2018
Thought this was a very interesting article. It was written in response to the recent PlayStation 5 news, and offers a perspective on both Sony's and Microsoft's plans for next gen and how they differ.

Much more at the link:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-09-whats-going-on-with-playstation-opinion

too Early to tell, if anything Nintendo doing a good job with it's early 9th start.........by time the other systems come out the switch will have a 50 mill head start on 9th gen vs the 5 mill head start it had on 8th gen with the Wii U coming out first before ps4

this huge head start give Nintendo a few wiggle room to keep up what they doing with their 9th gen system

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch isn't competing against the other two consoles. A 'head start' doesn't mean anything given the disparity in power, different target audiences and different usage.

Nintendo isn't on the same cycle as the other companies, and even trying to fit them into the 'generation' model doesn't make much sense.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
too Early to tell, if anything Nintendo doing a good job with it's early 9th start.........by time the other systems come out the switch will have a 50 mill head start on 9th gen vs the 5 mill head start it had on 8th gen with the Wii U coming out first before ps4

this huge head start give Nintendo a few wiggle room to keep up what they doing with their 9th gen system

The Switch really isn't in the same race, let's not kid ourselves.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awful article laced with ignorance. I'm surprised this wasn't sent through some kind of fact checking.

Sep 25, 2018
The Switch really isn't in the same race, let's not kid ourselves.

try to tell mediacreate, NPD and other official sales chart who count the switch as a home hybrid console so they compare their sales vs other home consoles and not handhelds

its almost 3 years in March 2020 if you do not know the switch a 9th gen console then where have you been for the last 2.5 years

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
try to tell mediacreate, NPD and other official sales chart who count the switch as a home hybrid console so they compare their sales vs other home consoles and not handhelds

its almost 3 years in March 2020 if you do not know the switch a 9th gen console then where have you been for the last 2.5 years
What they mean is that the switch is mostly additive, and not cannibalizing sales of the other consoles, something that sales analysts have been saying for months if you've been following NPD threads and people like Mat

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Basic logic.
lmao. You think it's the slim margins on console hardware that's behind Sony's record profits?
He's asking you for numbers to back your claim that the Switch is removing sales for the other consoles, not that software makes money. Reading helps. He claimed Switch was additive and not cannibalizing sales from other consoles. You said nonsense about software being money. You have not yet backed up your claim that the Switch is hurting other console sales.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
He's asking you for numbers to back your claim that the Switch is removing sales for the other consoles, not that software makes money. Reading helps. He claimed Switch was additive and not cannibalizing sales from other consoles. You said nonsense about software being money. You have not yet backed up your claim that the Switch is hurting other console sales.

... Perhaps because I never made the claim that the Switch was hurting sales of other consoles?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Sony's like that one kid who cheats off the better students answers and passes anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That would be because Microsoft has been making HUGE changes, because they had to, and Sony has no reason to overplay their cards right now. It's better for them to steadily drip the info like they have been.

Just a standard generational upgrade from PS4 Pro to PS5 is enough to keep their train running perfectly well. They don't need to change up their gameplan like Microsoft is, they can wait and react.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
That would be because Microsoft has been making HUGE changes, because they had to, and Sony has no reason to overplay their cards right now. It's better for them to steadily drip the info like they have been.

Just a standard generational upgrade from PS4 Pro to PS5 is enough to keep their train running perfectly well. They don't need to change up their gameplan like Microsoft is, they can wait and react.

I see it the same way MS needed to push its business into the whole gaming everywhere to put them into a better position in general and for next gen.

I think the wired articles are great ways to interrupt usual reveals on stage and being considered first with information of new systems and it diminishes somewhat the reveal impact of the competition.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hurting the other console makers by eating into their third party software revenue is NOT the same thing as 'eating into hardware sales'

I should have thought that was obvious.
But how much is 3rd party game sales on the Switch hurting PS and XBO when they Switch doesnt even get all the 3rd party games?

Never mind that the split is probably PS4 with the most, XBO then Switch? And I'm not talking about the few where Switch was probably more than XBO. If you mean indie games, that's a topic I don't wanna touch.

First party games still dominate on Nintendo platforms, the Switch isn't an exception, yet.

The post you were responding to was talking about console sales, you injected software sales into the mix.

Last edited:

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely do not understand the doom and gloom for the PlayStation platform.

I don't know how you can read an article that says this:

"Microsoft has dominated the conversation in 2019, but so what? If Sony has kept its powder dry for some major reveals next year, then it might find itself in control during 2020 when it actually matters."

And

"I confess I was a bit reluctant to write this piece initially. None of this is especially new. From the moment Sony backed out of E3, it was clear the company was going into stealth mode ahead of PS5, and we're still over a year away from its launch. And restructures are almost always painful. The time to judge them is not in the middle of the transition, but at the end when the kinks have been worked out."

Is a doom article. This entire thread just seems like a wild overreaction to a pretty sound piece.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
Gamers are going to look at the games. Or basically the brand at this point. Which is Sony. Spoilers.

Sep 28, 2019

"Microsoft has dominated the conversation in 2019, but so what? If Sony has kept its powder dry for some major reveals next year, then it might find itself in control during 2020 when it actually matters."

And

"I confess I was a bit reluctant to write this piece initially. None of this is especially new. From the moment Sony backed out of E3, it was clear the company was going into stealth mode ahead of PS5, and we're still over a year away from its launch. And restructures are almost always painful. The time to judge them is not in the middle of the transition, but at the end when the kinks have been worked out."

Is a doom article. This entire thread just seems like a wild overreaction to a pretty sound piece.
In what way have Microsoft dominated the conversation in 2019?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And

Because it's bullshit.

Microsoft isn't dominating anything, they're just the louder of the two right now (because they have to be). E3's a perfect example of this; Microsoft attended the show, but Sony grabbed just as many headlines as they did, if not more, without making a peep.

And aside from the unfortunate layoffs, there's nothing painful about PlayStation's current state; we're a month away from a highly anticipated exclusive of theirs, a few months away from another, and they've been trending for like 3 weeks straight on generally positive news (again, with the unfortunate news of the layoffs very much being the outlier, and the Layden thing just being abrupt and kinda weird).

Some people are acting like they've been having a rough go of it lately, but they're riding some serious highs right now, commercially and critically. I don't get it.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yawn at this doom mongering line. Of course sales of a console that's sold over 100 million are going to slow down and decrease near the end of its life cycle
Clearly the PS4 is a failure that has not sold 7 billion consoles. It's been 6 years. It should be selling more every single year.

It boggles my mind how someone could write this article and work in the industry. How is he just not laughed out of every place

Jun 23, 2019
Interesting take. I feel you clearly misunderstood my post and you're doubling down on your mistake.

we'll agree to disagree.

lol This guy gets called out and then tries to gaslight the thread. Outstanding.

Clearly the PS4 is a failure that has not sold 7 billion consoles. It's been 6 years. It should be selling more every single year.

It boggles my mind how someone could write this article and work in the industry. How is he just not laughed out of every place

It's almost a literal repeat of last generation going into PS4/Xbone with the media trying to paint a perception different than reality. Last time you had a chance at being right due to no one knowing how PS4 would land. You definitely can't do that this time knowing the stakes and positions of the companies going into the next gen.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
In what way have Microsoft dominated the conversation in 2019?

I'm not going to read the article for you. The writer directly answers that question in like the third paragraph. If you disagree with that, just say, but I don't know why you're asking me a question that the article itself answers.

Because it's bullshit.

Microsoft isn't dominating anything, they're just the louder of the two right now (because they have to be). E3's a perfect example of this; Microsoft attended the show, but Sony grabbed just as many headlines as they did, if not more, without making a peep.

And aside from the unfortunate layoffs, there's nothing painful about PlayStation's current state; we're a month away from a highly anticipated exclusive of theirs, a few months away from another, and they've been trending for like 3 weeks straight on generally positive news (again, with the unfortunate news of the layoffs very much being the outlier, and the Layden thing just being abrupt and kinda weird).

Some people are acting like they've been having a rough go of it lately, but they're riding some serious highs right now, commercially and critically. I don't get it.

"Microsoft isn't dominating anything, they're just the louder of the two right now" yes, that's them dominating the conversation as it currently exists. That's one of the points of the piece. This piece is so tepid, I almost don't know if we read the same thing. It's seems like you read a totally different "Sony is fucking up" piece, whereas I read a pretty tame "there's some uncertainty about Sony going into next gen" piece.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Microsoft isn't dominating anything, they're just the louder of the two right now" yes, that's them dominating the conversation as it currently exists. That's one of the points of the piece. This piece is so tepid, I almost don't know if we read the same thing. It's seems like you read a totally different "Sony is fucking up" piece, whereas I read a pretty tame "there's some uncertainty about Sony going into next gen" piece

That's not dominating the conversation, especially if everyone else is talking more about the other party than they are you.

Even the uncertainty about Sony is much ado about nothing, ergo my take that the piece is bullshit.