• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Source is below.

www.gamesindustry.biz

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is the fourth Zelda to reach No.1 | UK Boxed Charts

Nintendo's latest remaster, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, was the best-selling boxed game in the UK last week,…

According to Lelouch0612 this should mean a debut of around 40k. It's very slightly higher than LA remake's debut in 2019 and slightly below the original in 2011, though that debut was 100% of total sales wheras obviously the boxed version of the HD version is certainly not.

Edit: credit to Limabean01 for posting this in last week's offical PAL thread.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is the fourth Zelda to reach No.1 | UK Boxed Charts

Nintendo's latest remaster, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, was the best-selling boxed game in the UK last week,…

It may well have surpassed sales of the original

Nintendo's latest remaster, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, was the best-selling boxed game in the UK last week, GfK data reveals.

It's only the fourth time a Zelda game has claimed No.1, following Link's Awakening on Switch in 2019, Wind Waker on GameCube in 2003 and Ocarina of Time on N64 in 1998 (when it was Christmas No.1).
Skyward Sword HD sold slightly better at launch than the Link's Awakening remake from 2019 (sales are 1.3% higher). Link's Awakening launched alongside the Switch Lite and during a typically stronger month for game sales (September). On the other side, the UK install base for Switch has increased exponentially since 2019.

The HD version of Skyward Sword sold 9% fewer boxed copies at launch than the original managed way back in November 2011 (when it charted at No.7). Of course, digital sales are not included in these charts and as the Wii version was not available as a download, it's likely that this new version actually sold better at launch than the original.
Having to settle for No.2 on the starting grid is F1 2021. It's quite a slow launch for Codemasters' new racing game, with boxed launch sales down almost 30% compared with last year's game. 34% of sales were of the Xbox version, the PS4 edition accounts for another 34%, and the remaining 32% was on PS5.
Elsewhere, last week's No.1 Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart drops to No.10 after an 80% sales drop week-on-week. Meanwhile, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin tumbles ten places to No.13 after a 68% sales decline in its second week.

TOP 10 software:

top10.png

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Im really tempted to buy it, never played it on the wii slightly put off by a lot of people moaning about its controls etc but then a lot of other reviews say its excellent overall with a few issues here and there.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Damn...that Ratchet decrease. I guess there were no PS5 delivered in the UK last week?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's the 3rd biggest launch of the year btw, only behind 3D World and Resident Evil Village

Top 5 launches in the UK in 2021 :

1. Super Mario 3D World
2. Resident Evil Village
3. Skyward Sword
4. Monster Hunter Rise
5. Ratchet & Clank

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
Im really tempted to buy it, never played it on the wii slightly put off by a lot of people moaning about its controls etc but then a lot of other reviews say its excellent overall with a few issues here and there.
It's excellent overall with a few issues here and there. I'm really enjoying it, I've never played skyward sword before. Zelda games are always great games though.

Jun 17, 2018
I picked this up myself yesterday, although I've not really had any time to play it. Looking forward to spending a few hours on it tonight in bed.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017

It is an excellent game for sure. I played it back when it released and thought the motion controls worked perfectly.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More full priced ports incoming!

At this point I can't failt Nintendo for doing this. People will buy them anyway.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if BotW has, by itself, increased the name recognition of Zelda.

There is of course simply the phenomenon that the Switch really pushes software well.
The Switch launch and Breath of the Wild may have had the most synergistic debuts of all time. Zelda was always a big brand, but the game wouldn't have pulled these numbers on Wii U. The Switch had value, but a lot of people were concerned as well. Breath of the Wild ended up being rocket fuel for it, and I have no doubt the explosive growth of both couldn't have happened without the other.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it for the first time, and it is legitimately incredible.

I find the pacing perfect, the world beautiful, the characters charming, and I'm dazzled by the creativity of it all -- how you're constantly engaging with new mechanics that are consistently fun, and even the areas that lead into dungeons are like dungeons in themselves, in the best way. It's such a dense game. Even the myriad inventory expansions and crafting upgrades have me picking it up whenever I have free time to farm rupees and materials.

I have no idea how I went the last decade skipping this thinking it was the black sheep of the Zelda series. In reality it may be the best of the pre-BotW 3D Zeldas.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it for the first time, and it is legitimately incredible.

I find the pacing perfect, the world beautiful, the characters charming, and I'm dazzled by the creativity of it all -- how you're constantly engaging with new mechanics that are consistently fun, and even the areas that lead into dungeons are like dungeons in themselves, in the best way. It's such a dense game. Even the myriad inventory expansions and crafting upgrades have me picking it up whenever I have free time to farm rupees and materials.

I have no idea how I went the last decade skipping this thinking it was the black sheep of the Zelda series. In reality it may be the best of the pre-BotW 3D Zeldas.
It isn't but imo you are right to praise it. I'm having a blast as well

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
6 Switch titles in the UK top 10, is this normal? I always thought of NIntendo as a bit of a periphery platform over here.
They were but they managed to turned things around during the Switch era.
Dry summer. Would be surprising if it didn't top the charts
F1 2021 isn't a small release by any means. I agree that #1 this week was still the expected but it still managed to be the 3rd biggest launch of the year which isn't nothing.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Good start!

I'm just happy that Breath of the Wild is slowly creeping up the charts once again @ #12 this week. Game is straight fire.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Massive Ratchet drop is 100% because last charting week there was new console bundle stock in and this charting week there was none.

As expected by everyone who talked about bundles last week. Swings both ways. It's gonna result in massive leaps in sales when console stock comes in (because they'll sell 100% of those copies) and then wildly drop the following week when there is no console stock (because it would be impossible - for any game - to match those sales without the bundle stock).

The public didn't suddenly decide they didn't want Ratchet this week en masse. They just bought it in normal amounts whereas the week before benefited massively from bundled copies with new PS5 stock.

Charting positions for Ratchet physical copies in the UK have gone:

Week 1 - Charted at 1
Week 2 - Charted at 1, with an increase in sales (the console bundles launched this week)
Week 3 - Charted at 6 (no new PS5 stock in, big 77% drop in sales)
Week 4 - Charted at 1 (new PS5 console stock in, ridiculous 187% jump in sales)
Week 5 - Charted at 10 (no PS5 console stock in, big 80% drop in sales)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
And wow at UK becoming Nintendo land.

It's such a turnaround. I remember during the Wii U all of the supermarkets basically just rid of their Nintendo sections in the game isle. They were none existent. Now they're the biggest section.

Switch is massive and Switch players buy tons of games it turns out.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Of course Skyward is selling. Link's Awakening sold also well and Skyward is probably better bang for your buck if you think about it.

Not to downplay Link's Awakening but overall it is a shorter game.