• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

First stats from Christopher Dring, head of GI.biz, for the past 6 months in the UK. I'll update the thread as soon as the article goes live.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Sony and MS could replenish their stock too? The Series family would've likely been 2nd and PS5 would've sold even more units.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lowkey I'm okay with Xbox as the underdog because right now MS is being super competitive, which I like. I'm glad all 3 are seeing healthy sales, though.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Great to see.

Going to be crazy once PS5 is widely available for purchase.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about right from what we've been hearing and lines up with the end of April estimates I had of PS5 ~270k, Switch ~215k and XBS ~160k. Would probably guesstimate something like PS5 ~400k, Switch ~300k, XBS ~250k, Others ~50k for the first half of the year.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
How's supply been this month? I feel like things are getting better for both consoles

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
With enough supply PS5 should have biggest year in UK since Wii/DS days.
Yeah although PS4's first full year was pretty huge (1.26M) and I think PS5 is still tracking a bit behind PS4 in the UK. Switch last year was around 1.5M and I really don't see PS5 getting there. Of course as you say its all about supply, I don't think there'll be enough though. I'm expecting PS5 to get a bit over a million for the full year.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I'm one of the millions that are still waiting for a chance to get a PS5. I think they can achieve the 22.6 million consoles per fiscal year mark that they project as soon as they are able to produce them.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure 'market leader' is the right term for a console that has only just come out vs a system that has sold a bucket load over the last 4 years+.
It's funny because I remember some posters saying how the switch was still the market leader because it outsold the ps5, using it being old (in comparison) as reasoning for how well it's doing.

Market leader can be argued in two ways, console sales and revenue.

Sold consoles are important from a business perspective but ultimately don't determine how successful a console is these days considering the PS4 in 2018 made more money than the entire PS2 generation which had around 50 million more consoles sold by the end of its run.

Revenue makes sense these days since it determines how much of the gaming audiences money it is getting and in that case, Sony have been the market leader since the end of the PS3 gen (iirc).

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see Sony continuing to deliver PS5s in spite of everything working against them.

insert "market leader" quip here

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I think so too! Maybe >2M.
I am kinda doubtful that there will be enough supply for that. Currently Sony forecasts simply higher sales for PS5 this FY globally launch aligned than for PS4 (so over 14.8 million) without specific number which kinda tells us that they simply don't know how many they can manufacture with the current chip shortages. but we shall see.

Yeah although PS4's first full year was pretty huge (1.26M) and I think PS5 is still tracking a bit behind PS4 in the UK. Switch last year was around 1.5M and I really don't see PS5 getting there. Of course as you say its all about supply, I don't think there'll be enough though. I'm expecting PS5 to get a bit over a million for the full year.

Depends on is it tracking behind PS4 in terms of 2014 vs 2021. Technically so far 2021 for PS5 could be higher than 2014 for PS4 and still overall it could be tracking behind PS4 because launch holiday was higher for PS4.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
something something market leader :P
24d0e59984a2f347ae9addb459dd6bbd.gif

May 12, 2020
Surprised at the serious S/X numbers, S is easy to get in the UK. Available now on Amazon UK if anyone is looking for one.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because I remember some posters saying how the switch was still the market leader because it outsold the ps5, using it being old (in comparison) as reasoning for how well it's doing.

Sold consoles are important from a business perspective but ultimately don't determine how successful a console is these days considering the PS4 in 2018 made more money than the entire PS2 generation which had around 50 million more consoles sold by the end of its run.

Revenue makes sense these days since it determines how much of the gaming audiences money it is getting and in that case, Sony have been the market leader since the end of the PS3 gen (iirc).
Thank you.

This term gets dissected and flip flops more ways then a fish.

Not sure 'market leader' is the right term for a console that has only just come out vs a system that has sold a bucket load over the last 4 years+.
If thats the case....how come no one mentions the PS4 anymore....

This whole market leader thing is wild even for ERA.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
Surprised at the serious S/X numbers, S is easy to get in the UK. Available now on Amazon UK if anyone is looking for one.
That's what I was going to say. I mean I know it's the lesser console but with the availability i thought more people would of gone for it. Just because of the price and the fact it's in stock. Think that console will die an early death to be fair. Once more series x consoles become available on a regular basis not many people will want a series s.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I was seeing XSS in complete supply across various shops when I was looking for black Dualsense today. There are quite a lot of them and it is the only system readily available for pick up in stores. Wonder what the split between XSX/XSS is.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's too bad we can't really draw any conclusions about the demand of these things from this :( COVID supply constraints out here ruining The Discourse.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more to do with the time frame he's referring to. Also, the UK has notoriously been Sony territory, right?

It's honestly probably easier to list regions or countries that aren't Sony territory than to list ones that aren't. PlayStation as a brand is just insanely loved in a lot of places in the world compared to other options, even with the awful ps3 launch it was selling worldwide so it's no surprise the ps4 and ps5 also both sold like crazy. The demand is there for ps5s and if Sony can get the supply flowing more they can probably break the record they expected to break for consoles sold in a year.

Also UK was/is xbox's 2nd biggest market I believe, the 360 did very well in the UK, but that doesn't change that the general public actually like the PlayStation brand and always have done.

Also happy to see the switch doing so well still, I've always wanted a console experience on handhelds but no handheld could perfectly pull it off, switch isn't perfect either for that but it's the closest we've gotten from consoles.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Microsoft regret the Series S.

You can't find Series X anywhere but Series S my local store has 12 in stock and sold none in the last two weeks. The company as a whole has over 100 consoles readily available.

Those resources could have been used to make more Series X.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many of those PS5s have even been turned on, I bet a bunch are sitting on some dudes ebay for $1000

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Sony and MS could replenish their stock too? The Series family would've likely been 2nd and PS5 would've sold even more units.

Not guaranteed that xbox would have been 2nd with equal stock - the regular (and more desirable) switch was regularly out of stock in the UK throughout the pandemic up till at least march this year. Not sure when the situation got better (checked today it's now back in good supply).

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I was going to say. I mean I know it's the lesser console but with the availability i thought more people would of gone for it. Just because of the price and the fact it's in stock. Think that console will die an early death to be fair. Once more series x consoles become available on a regular basis not many people will want a series s.

The problem is that people do know a series x exists and when I went and did the trade in deal to get my series s I was talking to the store workers about the consoles sales for the store and they said they've had a lot of series s stock and people had been wanting the series x. They also said that with the trade in deal they did get a lot of series s consoles into customers hands but it isn't like the series x or ps5 where the moment they put a tweet out that their store has stock of either the stock is gone in less than an hour. I honestly love my series s but a lot of people made an assumption that the general public would rather focus on price than the power of it compared to the series x and I don't think that was the way it'll happen, at least not for a good while. Early adopters for sure know what they want and the fact that we just had a generation where plenty of people knew about the one x and ps4 pro I very much doubt they don't understand the series s/x difference.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder how close PS5 sales are to 10 million. Should be close given if its still ahead of PS4 launch aligned.

Coop

Jan 9, 2020

Did you see the Nintendo profit ?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, would be great to see what Xbox could've achieved if more Series X were in stock. Hope MS get enough out for halo.