• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://www.gameinformer.com/opinio...-hallmark-holiday-in-games-but-where-is-pride
One year for my brother's birthday, I logged into Runescape right after school, scouring for ingredients to bake him a virtual cake. We met up in-game that night so I could give it to him, and he loved it. I was thankful that we could enjoy the game and his birthday together, since we lived in different homes. I only got to see him every other weekend, but one of the meaningful ways we bonded was through Runescape and its seasonal events. I look back on these days fondly, because today, we no longer play together, let alone talk.

In college, I came out to my friends and family. Most people accepted me when I told them I was gay. My brother didn't. He hasn't spoken to me since. Sometimes it's painful to remember our adventures online, knowing they may never happen again, but I've learned to cope with his decision. Still, I wonder how his perception might have been different if Runescape had recognized Pride the same way it recognized Christmas, Easter, and Halloween with festive, in-game events.

I don't log into Runescape anymore; today, I celebrate my favorite holidays in Overwatch. I pour a haunting amount of time into its annual Halloween Terror event, earning spooky skins and sprays and participating in the co-op mode Junkenstein's Revenge. For Christmas, I show off as Mei in snowball-fight arenas and explore a bevy of maps that get delightful, candy-cane-colored facelifts. There's even an event for the Chinese New Year, where capture the flag maps boast colorful firework displays and certain characters get beautiful, ornamental outfits. In-game seasonal events are one of my favorite ways to celebrate the holidays.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
One of the issues with pride is it feels like every city or country has a diffrent month for pride

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
wat?

I mean, go nuts with the pride in gaming, it's great, but this article is weird. These are holidays?

I mean Mardi Gras mini event might be cool, same with an international women's/men's day thing, but they'd never be comparable to things like Halloween and Christmas/Easter

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
It's typically celebrated in June but it can differ yes. Nothing stopping anyone from celebrating it when they feel though

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I know MMO's like Guild Wars 2 have player run pride events, it would be nice to have an official event though.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fair point, even one I hadn't really thought of. I don't really play games with seasonal events though, so I can't really speak on this.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Most holidays in gaming are celebrated(?) with a sale, like every other consumer product. Of course there are exceptions but aside from Christmas or Halloween it's mostly sales or xp boosts.

Not against it, pick whatever week in summer is the most observed and do something. Would help if it was a big company like ms or Sony that can handle shit heels attacking better.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The issue is, the events normally celebrated are considered "Holidays" and are celebrated at the same time pretty much world wide.

Things like pride, international womens and mens day are movements that happen at different periods in different cultures, I would love for them to be celebrated as well in some way though, why not I say, not sure why people take issue with the opinion piece either tbh.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know Sea of Thieves had this. That's pretty cool

Yeah, was gonna mention. I fly that flag all the time. It was a great showing from Rare.

Good article. Should be a Pride seasonal for games, especially now that they wanna cash in on including queer characters. If you don't wanna just exploit diversity, then actually celebrating it would help.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Man...I cannot begin to imagine how mismanaged a pride event in a game would be considering that 90% of the people who would be working on said things don't understand what pride is or why pride is for LGBTQ+ people.

Parades of leather daddies and burley femmes prancing down the street to "It's raining men" because "that's what the gays do right? That's what pride is right?"

My gay friends told me this a long time ago and I agree with them, let gay people have Pride, don't try inject yourself into it because you're an ally or you want to be supportive, sometimes the best thing you can do is let the people who are the people in question enjoy themselves without the lens of traditional americana.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather just get gay characters at all than corporations avoiding actual homosexual depictions to instead put rainbows everywhere for a week and be self righteous over it

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man...I cannot begin to imagine how mismanaged a pride event in a game would be considering that 90% of the people who would be working on said things don't understand what pride is or why pride is for LGBTQ+ people.

Parades of leather daddies and burley femmes prancing down the street to "It's raining men" because "that's what the gays do right? That's what pride is right?"

My gay friends told me this a long time ago and I agree with them, let gay people have Pride, don't try inject yourself into it because you're an ally or you want to be supportive, sometimes the best thing you can do is let the people who are the people in question enjoy themselves without the lens of traditional americana.
Also this, we already have barely anything anyway

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think anyone is expecting some in-game parade or a gay themed party. Devs can recognize the event by simply adding Pride themed cosmetics. For example, Blizzard could give Tracer an outfit decorated with Pride colors or a emote with her holding a Pride flag.

Of course the first step is getting more gay characters in games. It'd be much more significant to celebrate the event with an actual LGBTQ character.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
The world doesn't consider Pride as a hallmark holiday and that's the truth.

What we can do is include some elements of it (like having pride flags or pride costumes for characters) and see if players are cool with it, if there are, then developers can make full Pride events without concerns.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Doesn't matter if it doesn't have a dedicated time period like declared holidays do, it'd still be cool to see a dev just launch a Pride event at some point in their game.

EDIT: But it feels like the real answer is that gaming generally still harbors a sense of homophobia as the cultural norm from top to bottom, so most are too afraid to gather ill will from doing such a thing. It's mostly moved on to "I'm not homophobic but this makes me uncomfortable" kinda homophobia from what I generally gather. Kinda like some of the replies here already

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It isnt a holiday though?

If very different than Easter and Christmas which are almost universal western celebrations