• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Great interview with Matt Booty by Ben Hanson on the Game Informer Show.

Timestamped segment:

Pulled out some quotes below to go with the thread title, but you should give the full segment a listen. Matt Booty talks about a lot of things including how the acquisitions have clauses to allow for a divorce (not that they plan to) that "leaves things better than how we found them". Specifically referencing Twisted Pixel and that situation. Also talks about studio acquisitions in general, Obsidian having more games in development, Halo Infinite, chance of xCloud on 360 among other things.

On what games can be multiplatform or not (following on with what he's talked about previously):
Ben Hanson: So if a studio like Double Fine wanted to keep releasing multi-platform, I know Psychonauts 2 is still coming to other systems out there, but if they were interested in staying multiplatform moving into the future even though they are a Microsoft Studio would you allow such a thing?

Matt Booty: Yeah, I think we would. I think that the question is less binary than should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation and more, does it make sense for the franchise? In other words is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game. And so something like Minecraft, I think it was a no-brainer that we were never going to try and take anything from players that existed on those platforms and certainly we've added platforms since that acquisition. But then we're obviously going to have our big franchises like Forza and Halo and Sea of Thieves, where those games are designed from the outset to really exist on Xbox, I think that will continue.

Following on from that, The Outer Worlds 2:
Ben Hanson: So something like for Outer Worlds, I'd imagine that you're planning an Outer Worlds 2 being like a big Microsoft exclusive moving into the future as well then?

Matt Booty: Yeah, I think that'd be that kind of game, and you know from what we've seen of Outer Worlds, my hope is that that's something we can build and that it really becomes you know enduring franchise and it really starts to grow and we can expand that. I think that it's a great universe they've created and I think about what are the things that you need for a franchise to kind of bear weight? You know, like what can it withstand? Iis it a narrative, is it a set of characters, is it a set a universe that's big enough that you could start to add onto it and that's what I love about what Halo has created. It can support, you know, all kinds of novels and fiction, comic books...

As a reminder, Private Division has the publishing rights for The Outer Worlds with Microsoft now owning the IP. I guess this points to something having been worked out for the future (under the assumption PD has the first right of refusal for the Outer Worlds)? It's a hypothetical but Matt Booty really goes in on wanting to grow that IP.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well theres some almost-confirmation at least. They are just taking the hit with the games already announced elsewhere, but stuff like Psychonauts 3, Outer Worlds 2, and Hellblade 2 will definitely not be coming to Playstation

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If Outer Worlds 2 and The next double fine game come out for PS4 wtf was the point?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's always been obvious that if Microsoft wanted publishing rights to OW2 it would happen.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's messaging is so confusing. Phil says he wants people to stop thinking about games as a device and wants you to play your games everywhere. They they turn around and say some games are only for their devices. Just make up your mind

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Why would he deny more platforms and customers of the first game from experiencing outer worlds 2?

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
He also mentions Perfect Dark being an important IP for them, so at least he knows people want a new game.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's messaging is so confusing. Phil says he wants people to stop thinking about games as a device and wants you to play your games everywhere. They they turn around and say some games are only for their devices. Just make up your mind
Why would he deny more platforms and customers of the first game from experiencing outer worlds 2?

I don't see what's so confusing, it's spelled out already. If there's a hook to get into the Microsoft system, they will use it to their advantage. One way to do it is the obvious, offer the first entry to everyone and watch them come home to Xbox for the sequels.

In Minecrafts case, it's already a carrier for the xbox virus. Mwahahaha you're already infected!

Oct 25, 2017
Well theres some almost-confirmation at least. They are just taking the hit with the games already announced elsewhere, but stuff like Psychonauts 3, Outer Worlds 2, and Hellblade 2 will definitely not be coming to Playstation

Well he literally said they would allow Double Fine to do it if they wanted to. Probably unlikely, but may also depend on the caliber of the game. Small games maybe, potential blockbusters nope. Or something that will never happen like allowing Xbox Live integration!

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
He also mentions Perfect Dark being an important IP for them, so at least he knows people want a new game.

One one hand, that's nice to hear. On the other, it's lip service that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'm not putting any stock into a revival until I see it with my own eyes.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS gamers simply wont invest in the microsoft ip if they know in advance that they can't play the sequel.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This was also a very curious part of the interview, Ninja Theory was mentioned in the same breath as Rare with Sea of Thieves in finding ways to build large worlds.

I wonder what Ninja Theory is up to...

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
My big take away was the acquisition team is looking for more studios.

20 by 20 !

Believe!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
This was also a very curious part of the interview, Ninja Theory was mentioned in the same breath as Rare with Sea of Thieves in finding ways to build large worlds.

I wonder what Ninja Theory is up to...

I think you're both misinterpreting slightly what he said, he was talking about building tech that could help them create near AAA level games without commiting hundreds of people to said project ( ala Hellblade)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
People need to stop thinking MS doesn't care about Xbox Hardware sales. It's a ludicrous concept.

When Phil, etc. talk about "it's not about hardware sales" what they mean is "EVERYTHING isn't about hardware sales." No company on this planet spends 10s of millions R&D'ing a piece of hardware that they don't care about the sales of, let alone hardware that comes with a store that sells loads of products they get a cut of, along with retail licensing.

I think we'll continue to see MS be really open to just about everything coming to PC, be open to mobile platforms.. and possibly even some completely multi-plat games. But they'll also still seek out Xbox Exclusives, at least "Console exclusives."

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're both misinterpreting slightly what he said, he was talking about building tech that could help them create near AAA level games without commiting hundreds of people to said project ( ala Hellblade)

Specially mentions large, expansive game worlds. It seems a bit too specific for me.

Last edited:

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
People need to stop thinking MS doesn't care about Xbox Hardware sales. It's a ludicrous concept.

When Phil, etc. talk about "it's not about hardware sales" what they mean is "EVERYTHING isn't about hardware sales." No company on this planet spends 10s of millions R&D'ing a piece of hardware that they don't care about the sales of, let alone hardware that comes with a store that sells loads of products they get a cut of, along with retail licensing.

I think we'll continue to see MS be really open to just about everything coming to PC, be open to mobile platforms.. and possibly even some completely multi-plat games. But they'll also still seek out Xbox Exclusives, at least "Console exclusives."

Yup, very much this. Xbox consoles are still going to be (an important) part of the whole.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I mean all first party will be Xbox or xcloud or pc. Not sure how much more on point that can be.

The great thing about that phylosophy is you basically can be available to console, mobile and pc markets while still having "console" exclusives.

Oct 26, 2017

Absolutely.

Xbox hardware is extremely importantant for their whole strategy. They are leveraging their unique position as a traditional platform-holder and their parents company expertise with Cloud Computing with Azure to position themselves on all possible fronts. Hardware, services, software. They are the only company with this possibility.

Google has to build a player base from nowhere, Sony is doing their own stuff with PSNow but they aren't going as hard as MS with XCloud.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say they are talking about xcloud vs actually porting a game. Nadella and Phil want xcloud on everything. That's how you would play those games

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Yeah we can't use definitive, all encompassing statements when talking about what's important. It's about context. Microsoft cares more about users than hardware. Hardware is one way to capture certain segments of users. So it matters. It's just that they accept people skipping consoles because they can play on PC...and eventually mobile. They're ok with the trade.

If in 5 years Microsoft has only sold 25 million Scarlett's but has 150 million MAUs, Xbox is a success. Consoles will still get made. Maybe not at a loss or breakeven margin like today but they'll still get made.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad Phil finally found someone like Booty to run 1st party. There was a huge void left there after Phil stepped up to save Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Booty seems to have a great mentality regarding to directing their first party studios. Can't wait for the ~future~.

Also makes clear that first party acquisition isn't the only way to bring content so i hope they get a bit better on the publishing side as well

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The interview is worthwhile watching besides the first party quotes.

Finally some more clarity about Xbox games staying within the Xbox ecosystem. This 'good guy Microsoft' narrative was beginning to be a bit problematic. They obviously want their first party to be first party with reasons to invest into the Xbox ecosystem, but this is obviously now spanning the console, PC and xCloud. If those older multiplat games create more fans, this will be a win-win for them. It's also great they're doing this because we've seen what Epic would do. For some smaller titles, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
It's a no brainer.

Microsoft is not going to become a third party publisher like EA or Ubisoft.

If they have an IP that just make sense to publish on as many devices as possible, they'll do that, ala MineCraft, MineCraft Dungeons, and whatever else they might develop in the future.

Otherwise, they're still trying to make their ecosystem as desirable as possible. Outer Worlds 2 is not going to be any platform that MS doesn't own - Xbox or Windows. That's good. I want MS to still want to compete, and I want their competitors to want to compete against what they're doing.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This confused me more tbh.
He makes it seem like games that would benefit from more people being in the network, e.g. minecraft, makes sense, but stuff like cuphead and hellblade I wouldn't say really do, though I think cuphead is a great fit for the switch and hellblade was very welcome surprise.
And then he contradicts himself further saying sea of thieves would likely stay on xbox, surely that's the biggest game that would benefit from more people being connected and sea of thieves has already been optimised for a "potato pc" so surely that is possible to port to switch if wanted.

I understand it's a tough thing for MS to decide or to allow these things though. I feel they need things to sell systems (though that's increasingly less important for them), and then simply what's best for the games. I think they've been great with handling it so far though, I feel they were really the first to bring forward this idea of having their published games on other systems and its gradually become more accepted.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019

Agreed. It's been such an annoying narrative to see everywhere.

MS are embracing more ways in which to make money, but yeah, they absolutely want to be compete in hardware. Just look at the company as a whole. You can get Office 365 on iOS devices, but MS are still pushing the Surface brand because they value its business. They're not turning down opportunities to make money off people not in their ecosystem.

Oct 27, 2017
Does a sequel admittedly not showing up on your platform of choice prevent you from wanting to pick up these games?

Would selling more on these other platforms make them rethink this business plan?

For me personally, this just made me lose interest (only own a PS4) despite once looking forward to OW and Psychonauts.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt people were stupid enough to think this wouldn't be the case going forward. Why would MS invest in these studios and then allow them to release their games on all platforms?

The only way other platforms (outside of PC) will see sequels to those games is through XCloud.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'd assume contractually they are doing the opposite of "taking the hit". I'd guess MS left out all currently developed games from their contracts therefore not taking on any costs related to them. If you were to buy exclusivity to a game that's about to be released, you'd probably have to pay some kind of compensation to the publisher for profits lost ... unless it's a current moneysink like Titanfall 1.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Sounds good! Hopefully the sequel will be on a much larger budget, so we get next gen worthy animations, visuals, physics, etc.