• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 25, 2019
London
these two things are not similar at all

There is a very strong feeling in the PC gaming community that every news site and outlet was being paid off by Epic if they did not raise the alarm over the exclusivity deals. Therefore, they love to see things like this happen to those same sites.

In reality, many of the people at these sites are just not as hardcore about PC gaming as some in the community are. It's really that simple. Jeff, for example, plays Apex Legends on his PS4 instead of his PC these days because he just prefers it that way.

British

Dec 15, 2018
The publisher are under no obligation to send review copies to anyone. If it was me, I would not sent copies to a publication if I had reason to believe they would not recommend it.

They're running a business, not a public service.

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
As something of an aside to this point...with people bringing up Kane and Lynch/GB's origin and this video above me being posted about that weirdo Fallout 4 nonsense...in both of those cases, Jeff's opinions weren't even *that* far off the popular consensus, if really at all. That dude gave the PC version of Fallout 4 a 4/5 star score, for christ's sake...he didn't rake it over the coals, just simply mentioned on consoles it was buggy as shit. Hey, guess what, it was. Like, what the hell did GB even say about BL3 so far? From the E3 coverage and bomb/beastcasts I've listened to, nothing even remotely coming close to being overly critical was said. Oh, it looks like more Borderlands, for better or worse. What is the *exact* same shit fans who are being defensive of this saying? Hey man, it's more Borderlands, and that's exactly what I wanted! Well...okay? That's...what they've said, what was so scorching that this would be the outcome?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its not Giantbomb's fault Randy Pitchford is a maniac and they just happened to cover his ludicrous antics over the past several months.
Pretty much, Man this is some bullshit. Giant Bomb is one of the few outlets I trust and really what this tells me is that Gearbox is not confident in their game.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The publisher are under no obligation to send review copies to anyone. If it was me, I would not sent copies to a publication if I had reason to believe they would not recommend it.

Of course there's no obligation. But what does this accomplish?

You buy yourself a couple days of better than average coverage because you've "managed" people who you think will criticize you. Great.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
At the end of the day it's their product and their livelihood, even if they are billion times bigger than some Indie studio. They can do what they want to make sure it is a success and in this case they think them keeping it away from from certain outlets will help it. Sure we as consumers are the ones that get fucked but that's always the case with exclusives and similar tactics like same day release reviews which many these same sites are not calling out.
I feel like you're not actually reading the posts you're responding to.

As a consumer, Borderlands 3 being EGS exclusive tells me nothing about the quality of the game itself. As a consumer, Borderlands 3 only getting 'selective' coverage from outlets based on how positive previous impressions were - makes me skeptical about the game itself.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
p sure its not that one, 'cause I'd imagine Randy to be fairly good at writing and/or english, but yeah, I'm certain he's here somewhere. Guy can't do it without reading about himself, re: his constant talk about Jim Sterling whenever he's saying mean things about him.
The funniest thing is that clip of Randy desperately trying to bring up Jim Sterling in a random interview, whilst doing everything he can to not give the satisfaction of saying his name

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Pretty much, Man this is some bullshit. Giant Bomb is one of the few outlets I trust and really what this tells me is that Gearbox is not confident in their game.
I think the game is gonna be fine & this is just a big corporation being petty and trying to flex their muscle.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Quick rough transcript.

[They discuss the reasons outlets state they were denied codes such as security concerns.]

Jeff: "When we inquired about it we were not told 'hey, there are security concerns', we were told - and I'm paraphrasing here - but we were told by a 2k PR representative that based on the sentiment of our E3 coverage that they were going to send it to us closer to launch. So if you want to take that, I feel like that just empties a full magazine into the security concern shit and make it sound a whole lot like they wanted to micromanage reviews for a good day one metacritic. So congratulations to them for their 85 on day one!"

Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Even if GB got it early they'd still review it late lol.
I don't think the story here is really about GB's review, it's about 2K trying to control their review scores for the launch window.

Not referencing the quoted specifically, but it's crazy there are people here defending 2k on this. They can be a business-ass-business if they want, but that doesn't mean you should thank them for it.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
How stupid do you have to be to try to pull this shit on Jeff Gerstmann, of all people? Were they hoping he wouldn't be back from pat leave before the game's launch, or something? Jesus.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

right and giant bomb understand this. what they're saying in the clip in question is that the "security concerns" line 2K are feeding people is bullshit

Nov 2, 2017

Sure. And your decision to undermine reviews would be criticized. Like this thread.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
If you care so much about "dubious coverage" then maybe tell Randy Pitchford to stfu for five minutes and stop making an ass out of himself and dragging down all the people who worked on this game for him.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017

There are few things I care about less than "they're running a business" lol. idgaf about 2K's bottom line.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
lmfao this makes pcgamers 63/100 actually all that much funnier, since 2k/gearbox expected everyone to give the game super high scores.

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

And as a consumer, I'm free to assume that they're doing this because they know the game is sub-par and is going to buckle once under wider scrutiny.

Oct 26, 2017

Sure, but then I would immediately be skeptical of your actual product/service and be way less likely to actually buy it. Or anything from your company in the future.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the game is gonna be fine & this is just a big corporation being petty and trying to flex their muscle.
It might sell fine but when there are almost no console reviews and very little coverage on it, that shows a lack of confidence and more so them trying to keep the metacritic score higher for launch. The game probably will be good but this doesn't show confidence.

And as a consumer, I'm free to assume that they're doing this because they know the game is sub-par and is going to buckle once under wider scrutiny.
That's how I look at it, I've been on the fuck randy pitchford train the whole time but had decided to buy the game because I liked what I see now I am probably going to wait till a big sale.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao wow. It's 2K who are being dubious as hell. Just because Abby and Dan weren't falling over themselves salivating over this game? Gross.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's sort of funny to see GiantBomb and Kotaku call out Gearbox for sending Borderlands 3 review copies select outlets considering when Gearbox made Borderlands 3 exclusive to the Epic store they were pretty much staunch supporters of it. To me this is very similar so I don't see how they can be put off by Gearbox making the reviews exclusive to certain outlets.
That's quite a reach

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't surprise me one bit because it happens more often than you think. Take 2 pulls this crap regularly and not just with games like BL3. Even with RDR 2, Evolve, and every WWE title lots of outlets that weren't going to guarantee a great review got screwed out of access. I remember with RDR 2 I was explicitly told to buy a copy early off the grey market if I wanted to hit review embargo. With BL3 we were following up with the publisher for months only for us tell our contact what was going on because they were clueless of what was happening. Be it the September 12 date for codes or the fact that it was PC only or even the BS 'security issues' excuse, Take 2 appears to take pride in keeping its partners in markets that aren't the US or UK in the dark. It's a shady scene, but for some of us, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As something of an aside to this point...with people bringing up Kane and Lynch/GB's origin and this video above me being posted about that weirdo Fallout 4 nonsense...in both of those cases, Jeff's opinions weren't even *that* far off the popular consensus, if really at all. That dude gave the PC version of Fallout 4 a 4/5 star score, for christ's sake...he didn't rake it over the coals, just simply mentioned on consoles it was buggy as shit. Hey, guess what, it was. Like, what the hell did GB even say about BL3 so far? From the E3 coverage and bomb/beastcasts I've listened to, nothing even remotely coming close to being overly critical was said. Oh, it looks like more Borderlands, for better or worse. What is the *exact* same shit fans who are being defensive of this saying? Hey man, it's more Borderlands, and that's exactly what I wanted! Well...okay? That's...what they've said, what was so scorching that this would be the outcome?

You also have to remember the internet came for Jeff's head when he gave Twilight Princess an 8.8.

Reviews drive everyone in this industry crazy.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lmao who has even said anything to the sound of "it's their obligation to provide a code!"?? thank you for bringing up the fact they're a business though, I don't think anyone here had taken that into account

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
It's actually incredible how many times 2K and Gearbox have managed to unnecessarily shoot themselves in the foot for a game that, really, should be the safest slam dunk this year.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world websites would bind together and just agree to a complete blackout of coverage of any game that wants to pick and choose who gets to review it, purely based on who they think will give positive reviews only. Lets see how 2K/Gearbox would react with zero coverage leading up to launch.

Sounds like a union to me.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

This makes reviews meaningless then?

In my ideal world all reviews for both games and movies would be embargoed for like 1-2 weeks after release. Then they would actually return to being about criticism and less about Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes manipulation.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's been awhile since I watched the footage but I thought in the unfinished Dan and Abby seemed to like it even if they weren't blown away by it.

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head when he said they're trying to manage their metacritic score. Bet they wish they hadn't given pcgamer a review copy right about now.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're not actually reading the posts you're responding to.

As a consumer, Borderlands 3 being EGS exclusive tells me nothing about the quality of the game itself. As a consumer, Borderlands 3 only getting 'selective' coverage from outlets based on how positive previous impressions were - makes me skeptical about the game itself.
I'm with you. I think we as "consumers" should come first and that is my overall argument in that both GiantBomb and Kotaku have strong support stances when it comes to Epic store exclusives in that they see nothing wrong with it as it makes financial sense for studios though it hurts consumer choice. I think this is a similar tactic in that Gearbox thinks it makes financial sense to make reviews exclusive to outlets they they think will review it favorable and again it hurts consumers. In either case they could give one fuck about "consumers", it is about the money.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so completely unable to understand simple hyperbole to make a statement about a thing, you have to counter it by insulting.

Your post clearly doesn't read as hyperbole. Don't expect strangers to read into what you're saying. Doing so results in you looking like a joke.