• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
GB has always been a fun muck-around kinda site - Waypoint consistently dig deeper into basically every issue. Let's not try and pretend that isn't the case. I just think that suits her skills better.

But she's not going to waypoint, she's going to be a community manager at something else or whatever. How is that any better than giantbomb.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
You can appreciate GiantBomb's output (like I do) and realise that it's not a site that is really made for really in-depth discussions into politics/race etc. like Waypoint is. (or was..? Seems like they aren't going to last too much longer)There's nothing wrong with that, btw.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
But she isn't coming from waypoint, she's coming from being the community manager for the dragon Prince.

Also I enjoy waypoint a lot. Do I in any way put it above what giantbomb does? Not personally, no

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
They all seems to be not in it this year, just going through the motion, which is understandable. All looked miserable together. Guest segments much better.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
But she isn't coming from waypoint, she's coming from being the community manager for the dragon Prince.

Also I enjoy waypoint a lot. Do I in any way put it above what giantbomb does? Not personally, no

The post you quoted was about Natalie, not Danika.

but there's like 0 reason to compare Waypoint and GB in that way here; they both do very different things

that being said

They all seems to be not in it this year, just going through the motion, which is understandable. All looked miserable together. Guest segments much better.

...what are you even talking about specifically? The conference reactions? The two times they were on the couch together (during which Ben and Abby were both sick)?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Giant Bomb will never be this happy again.

zvrhRmd.gif

valeo

Oct 27, 2017

Danika and Natalie aren't the same person.

imo Natalie has more grounding in deeper conversations around games media/politics/race etc; that just doesn't suit Giant Bomb. That is what I'm saying.

Giant Bomb is a place for fuckabout amateur comedians and there's nothing wrong with that.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
The post you quoted was about Natalie, not Danika.

but there's like 0 reason to compare Waypoint and GB in that way here; they both do very different things

that being said

...what are you even talking about specifically? The conference reactions? The two times they were on the couch together (during which Ben and Abby were both sick)?

Ok, nvm, they were all great. Sorry.

muetimueti

May 24, 2018
You can appreciate GiantBomb's output (like I do) and realise that it's not a site that is really made for really in-depth discussions into politics/race etc. like Waypoint is. (or was..? Seems like they aren't going to last too much longer)There's nothing wrong with that, btw.
Why would Waypoint not be around much longer? Are they in trouble?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So any consensus on the best nite show segments?
Once you have a clear, concise, non-ambiguous definition of "best" I think we'll be able to easily choose the winners :-)

Are you judging it based on:-
1. Comedy banter
2. Insights into the industry
3. A particular game or studio you're interested in
4. Something else I've not thought of

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair Twitch having lots of screamlords hamming it up for views and Giant Bomb coming off as unenthusiastic or overly dismissive at times can both be true.

For what it's worth I don't think it was as bad this year though, probably because E3 itself was slightly more lowkey.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair Twitch having lots of screamlords hamming it up for views and Giant Bomb coming off as unenthusiastic or overly dismissive at times can both be true.

For what it's worth I don't think it was as bad this year though, probably because E3 itself was slightly more lowkey.

I rarely find them dismissive and they get exited for a bunch of stuff.

Most of the "jaded" comment i've seen is about them not being exited enough for the right games. Like whatever counts as "Megaton" and "wins E3".

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Danika and Natalie aren't the same person.

imo Natalie has more grounding in deeper conversations around games media/politics/race etc; that just doesn't suit Giant Bomb. That is what I'm saying.

Giant Bomb is a place for fuckabout amateur comedians and there's nothing wrong with that.
Natalie Watson, the Keyblade Master, the Lore Master, and the Joyous Gamer, also has a degree in critical theory and video game studies. That, and having been on podcasts with Austin, Danielle, Rob, and Patrick where they go deep into themes and content, has set her up to participate in deeper conversations than what GB, God bless it, usually has.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Natalie Watson, the Keyblade Master, the Lore Master, and the Joyous Gamer, also has a degree in critical theory and video game studies. That, and having been on podcasts with Austin, Danielle, Rob, and Patrick where they go deep into themes and content, has set her up to participate in deeper conversations than what GB, God bless it, usually has.

I'm not so sure about that, have you heard Dan talk about the deep themes and politically charged subject matter from the metal gear series?

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

There;s a reason why lore reasons is the most meticulous, 100% concise breakdown of the kingdom hearts series with absolutely 0 inaccuracies, with every participant deeply able to engage in the story of kingdom hearts like no other podcast, or even discussion on the internet really.

You could even say that lore reasons is the definitive text on the critical study of kingdom hearts.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what you're arguing at this point but all this is probably unnecessary.

can't we just enjoy the energy drink legality breakdown together

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
my favourite part was listening to waypoint's final segment tie back to the gb@nite segment later.

it was like watching the prologue after the main event and being like 'oh that's why nat was so prepared'

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not so sure about that, have you heard Dan talk about the deep themes and politically charged subject matter from the metal gear series?

My favorite part of Giant Bomb is when Dan and Austin interact with each other because you can tell they like each other and Austin tries so hard to be polite and accommodating to him despite his complete lack of knowledge and insight about anything important. When Austin is being "benevolently belittling" to Dan.

And I say this as someone that really likes Dan.

Sep 12, 2018
My favorite part of Giant Bomb is when Dan and Austin interact with each other because you can tell they like each other and Austin tries so hard to be polite and accommodating to him despite his complete lack of knowledge and insight about anything important. When Austin is being "benevolently belittling" to Dan.

And I say this as someone that really likes Dan.
I loved that Bombcast where an email about Taco Bell spun off into a 25 minute argument about fast food. Dan talked about finally trying a Big Mac because he was "getting more open minded about food" and Austin just burst out laughing.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Completely agree on this, the whole we got criticised for not being excited because we aren't loud felt like it was misrepresenting how GB could get in the past during E3. Just go back and watch the FF7 Remake reveal being accompanied by them going "No", shaking their heads and generally dismissing it with what can best be described as a collective eye roll.

Compare that to this year and them actually commenting on things they liked seeing from that game while bringing up points they were curious about in terms of how it would be handled. Even the weeks leading up to E3 have been more positive, I remember old Bombcast leading up to E3 being them groaning about it being that time of year again for weeks. Now, all credit to Jeff, every time E3 was brought up on a Bombcast he was quick to basically mention that while it is a busy week for them it's also a big deal and he was excited about it.

So yeah, in general I think during the period of time they were criticised for being unenthusiastic it was well warranted, but to their credit they listened and have been great in recent years.

Edit:

If I were to give any feedback this year, it would be more time given to the crews impressions on games that they saw on the show-floor or via appointments, so that we can get more in-depth detailed impressions. Think the likes of Easy Allies do a fantastic job in that respect and Waypoint was also great this year.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Day 2 and this stadia guy is pushing really hard. The internet is always getting better? I never had a data cap until a couple years ago. It's not always getting better.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Day 2 and this stadia guy is pushing really hard. The internet is always getting better? I never had a data cap until a couple years ago. It's not always getting better.

Think that was the most negitive I saw the thread get, during his time on the stream. He was pure marketing mode and a pain to listen to.