• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Money is Yucky, Milk is Yummy!

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • Big Drill Energy

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • Opps All Gokus

Votes: 73 34.1%
  • Different Spaghetti

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • White Castle Crystals

Votes: 45 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you 'get it' when it comes to RDR2's gameplay there's nothing you'll really miss by watching a Let's Play of the story that you would gain by actually playing it, and you'll also never have to deal with another clunky gunfight or worry about your horse tripping over a microscopic pebble if you go off-trail for two seconds again

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Sometimes I wonder the people who complain about how RDR2 feels to play, actually go back and play GTAV or for world consistency sake, RDR1. I think the crux of the matter I feel is that The Wild West ™ as a setting in general is just boring to most people. When people talk about the gameplay it feels like they're talking about Bubsy 3D. It really ain't that bad.
if you 'get it' when it comes to RDR2's gameplay there's nothing you'll really miss by watching a Let's Play of the story that you would gain by actually playing it, and you'll also never have to deal with another clunky gunfight or worry about your horse tripping over a microscopic pebble if you go off-trail for two seconds again
Yeah, no. There are a lot of small interactions you get into that all add up, from the NPC's to the camp stuff.etc

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I suppose you could just watch all the cutscenes...

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder the people who complain about how RDR2 feels to play, actually go back and play GTAV or for world consistency sake, RDR1. I think the crux of the matter I feel is that The Wild West ™ as a setting in general is just boring to most people. When people talk about the gameplay it feels like they're talking about Bubsy 3D. It really ain't that bad.
DM please, people here would never exaggerate.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Nothing about this is true.

Lying about this game is a felony. Paging offices of Joeku

robert-mueller-the-breakdown.jpg

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is that people think the wild west boring, or is it that people think every mission boiling down to a clumsy shootout bookended by fifteen minutes of riding your horse before and after is boring

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I mean how long was the game in development, of course some of the gameplay is going to feel dated
I think the gameplay is unremarkable. It's average but it ain't bad. R* themselves have done better, see Max Payne 3. They could have done that but I guess they vouched for the realism route(heck, auto aim is on by default so it does not become frustrating) which works but it results in a gameplay that's just ok. Like for me if it wasn't for the physics stuff, I would have been bored. Thankfully the sound design and the physics stuff really add a lot to the whole thing.
is that people think the wild west boring, or is it that people think every mission boiling down to a clumsy shootout bookended by fifteen minutes of riding your horse before and after is boring
I think it's the wild west setting. I watch a lot of western films and 95% of them are all about mood, atmosphere and character building. The RDR games have action in them more than all the Italian made western films combined.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
JUST PLAY THE STORY MISSIONS, SEE IT THROUGH
I'm trying! Right around Chapter 3 I decided I was gonna mainline the campaign, but I'm still do far away from the end
I never thought of myself as someone who's watch a cutscenes compilation, but maybe it's time lol

Yeah, no. There are a lot of small interactions you get into that all add up, from the NPC's to the camp stuff.etc
Aside from the aiming, I actually don't mind the gameplay. I actually dig the shootouts because of the strong audio and animation feedback. I'm just kinda tired of it

When I think back to every other game enjoyed this year, there was also something new to look forward to. I know I'd eventually stumble upon a new upgrade in GoW, a killer new suit in Spider-Man, or a new weapon in AC Ody

That feeling never happens in RDR2. I think I've already seen all the guns and outfits, so now it's a matter of spending dozens of more hours mainlining the story, which could end up as a slog as well

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
the main thing I would change is to allow you to skip or shorten looting/picking up animations. like they have a short animation for looting but they only do it when they can't do the main animation.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
For the record I also hated how GTA 5 and the original red dead played too.
Thank you. Because when I played RDR2 I'm like "huh, this is GTAV" but I feel like the setting of GTA itself mitigates the effect of how it plays to a lot of people.
That feeling never happens in RDR2. I think I've already seen all the guns and outfits, so now it's a matter of spending dozens of more hours mainlining the story, which could end up as a slog as well
You do get some interesting guns over the course of the game but the gameplay itself you pretty much see most of how it'll play around the end of chapter 2. The meat & potatoes is the story, world and characters.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not admire at the amount of effort the knife guy goes through for what is essentially a massive goof.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The RDR games have action in them more than all the Italian made western films combined.
i found this incredibly frustrating. by chapter 2 almost all tension had been sucked out of the missions, because each one results in whatever plans laid out giving way to a shootout. it was like "hey Arthur, let's go to town and get a gallon of milk" and after a certain point you just know that there's going to be a bloodbath, because your presence precludes everything going wrong and ending in a bloodbath. after a while i just wished i could be like "y'know what pardner, i'm gonna sit this one out, because every time i show up anywhere, no matter how simple the interaction, it seems like i end up murdering a few dozen people. i'm never the instigator here, yet i've been the common denominator in several massacres in the last couple weeks, so i'm gonna take a breather til i can find an old crone to lift whatever curse that's apparently been following me"

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Even at their worst, both RDRs have better shooting mechanics than GTAV.

Max Payne 3 is still the peak of that genre though

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is it already takes a lot for me to care about a shooty bang bang game, so either the mechanics have to be very good or the other extraneous stuff have to be very good.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
i found this incredibly frustrating. by chapter 2 almost all tension had been sucked out of the missions, because each one results in whatever plans laid out giving way to a shootout. it was like "hey Arthur, let's go to town and get a gallon of milk" and after a certain point you just know that there's going to be a bloodbath, because your presence precludes everything going wrong and ending in a bloodbath. after a while i just wished i could be like "y'know what pardner, i'm gonna sit this one out, because every time i show up anywhere, no matter how simple the interaction, it seems like i end up murdering a few dozen people. i'm never the instigator here, yet i've been the common denominator in several massacres in the last couple weeks, so i'm gonna take a breather til i can find an old crone to lift whatever curse that's apparently been following me"
It really depends on where the story is and what's happening at that point. Like there are a bunch of missions where no shootouts happen. I just never felt like something was forcefully happening. If you spend time in the camp and do the specific side missions with the gang as well as talk with them I'd reckon things would feel more natural. For me how I played was I just focused on the story missions, side missions and all the camp related stuff. I spent a loooooooooooot of time at the camp.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to remind the investigation that Whippy is still in Chapter 2 due to a refusal to do anything in the game other than hunt

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
in my new rdr2 game I went around being a jerk in camp and it cut to Marston knocking Arthur out with one punch and him waking up like twenty feet from camp

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I'm trying! Right around Chapter 3 I decided I was gonna mainline the campaign, but I'm still do far away from the end

I never thought of myself as someone who's watch a cutscenes compilation, but maybe it's time lol

Aside from the aiming, I actually don't mind the gameplay. I actually dig the shootouts because of the strong audio and animation feedback. I'm just kinda tired of it

When I think back to every other game enjoyed this year, there was also something new to look forward to. I know I'd eventually stumble upon a new upgrade in GoW, a killer new suit in Spider-Man, or a new weapon in AC Ody

There's a lot of awesome open world stuff to be found in RDR2.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I got AC: Odyssey on sale and it already has me hooked way more than Origins. I got to the bit where you meet 'The Wolf' and it was fucking awesome.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
kingdom hearts iii 3
in the wild
stay same out there

oh boy I love to be afraid of spoilers for an entire month, especially one during which I will surely have to google things + consult wikis for information during Dream Drop Distance

I will never not admire at the amount of effort the knife guy goes through for what is essentially a massive goof.

it will all be worth it when he becomes a heroic spirit

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Alex on trying to understand where he knows the phrase "this slaps" from. The answer is most likely Danika Harrod.

Status
Not open for further replies.