• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Money is Yucky, Milk is Yummy!

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • Big Drill Energy

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • Opps All Gokus

Votes: 73 34.1%
  • Different Spaghetti

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • White Castle Crystals

Votes: 45 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I finally joined this site. This place seems to like Giant Bomb. Asides from their GOTY content (which I have consumed in its entirety), what is some good stuff to get started with?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

Does anyone here watch Stuart Ashen? The reason I ask is because he reminds me an awful lot of Jeff. They're both around the same age and are knowledgeable about old games. Their sense of humor is similar, and most importantly, they both despise Funko Pops. I remember Jeff was saying that he wanted to have someone on to talk about old European gaming systems, so my dream content is to have both of them talking about old games. I think some of the people here might enjoy his stuff as well.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Where are you seeing this? All I'm seeing is this:

OkegQGK.png

I'm not sure why now, at the end of 2018, they're going back to Mario Maker but ok
I think this is a way of saying that some of their GOTY choices have stood the test of time better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I finally joined this site. This place seems to like Giant Bomb. Asides from their GOTY content (which I have consumed in its entirety), what is some good stuff to get started with?

Accept nothing less than the second best QL Giant Bomb has ever produced. (The best is of course, Wipeout 2's QL.)

Edit: Though for real, use QLcrew to browse what they've made over the years. Navigating old stuff on their site--even with the redesign collecting shows and stuff together--is still a nightmare. Just pick a game you're interested in and go from there. Or if you have a penchant for a specific duder, you can filter like that, too.

and welcome to GBera.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
because the gameplay is bad and literally still using the same control scheme from GTAV/RDR1(not counting modified quirks like picking up your hat)

and also rockstar is a terrible company that forces crunch on it's employees

and also the online monetization system is literally robbing you

and it's another one of those (open world games).

Could be worse. Could you imagine if GB gave GotY to an Early Access Battle Royale game?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Could be worse. Could you imagine if GB gave GotY to an Early Access Battle Royale game?
Honestly, hindsight has been harsh as hell to that decision. They're making more content for Super Mario Maker than PUBG in December 2018.

They need to port Super Mario Maker on Switch already. Give me something to do on the touchscreen other than browsing the eshop with my tongue.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Honestly, hindsight has been harsh as hell to that decision. They're making more content for Super Mario Maker than PUBG in December 2018.

They need to port Super Mario Maker on Switch already. Give me something to do on the touchscreen other than browsing the eshop with my tongue.

2019 will probably see a metric fuckton of ports. With the money they made on MK8 I don't see how they don't now port over the rest of the even somewhat big games on Wii U. Surprised they haven't already announced Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to be honest.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
2019 will probably see a metric fuckton of ports. With the money they made on MK8 I don't see how they don't now port over the rest of the even somewhat big games on Wii U. Surprised they haven't already announced Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to be honest.
I feel like 2019 on the switch is going to be like 2013 on the 3DS - a massive cavalcade of exclusives in the second big wave for the platform.

I swear I'm not just making that comparison because both years have Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I feel like 2019 on the switch is going to be like 2013 on the 3DS - a massive cavalcade of exclusives in the second big wave for the platform.

I swear I'm not just making that comparison because both years have Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

How many new exclusives are already announced besides Animal Crossing and Pokemon? I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is coming out before 2020.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Backflips in BioForge
Random PC Game: Phantasmagoria
Project B.E.A.S.T.
Until Dawn Playthrough
Contradiction Playthrough

Also, you might want to use QL Crew to search for content since the GB search is garbage.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
How many new exclusives are already announced besides Animal Crossing and Pokemon? I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is coming out before 2020.
Probably that Retro Star Fox thing.

The actual new gen of Pokemon definitely.

The mech game.

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Another 2013 parallel!)

And let's not forget...

FITNESS BOXING

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sergeant in the Rockstar Defence Force I'll have you know

From my perspective it's more questionable why so many feel to need to try to publicly and loudly shit on RDR2, a game that outside this thread and the Waypoint bubble is pretty much universally regarded as one of the best of all-time

I think it's partly because hugely popular things will always illicit a backlash, however juvenile and detached from the actual product that backlash is, and partly people who are unable to look beyond some of the behind the scenes issues with Rockstar and judge the game on its own merits

I don't agree with the later, but at least it's more respectable than the former

But I guess humans are emotional creatures prone to err just like 2018's best new character, Arthur Morgan

RDR2 GotY 2018
Every game that gets that initial burst of glowing reviews goes through a critical reassessment. I think it's disingenuous to 1. dismiss it as criticism taking place in a Giant Bomb/Waypoint bubble when Patrick, Austin, and Rob Zacny had called out their personal concerns with the game from the jump and 2. other media groups have started reflecting on the game:
Russ Frushtick for Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/28/...mption-2-rdr2-no-power-curve-problem-bad-gta5
Mike Williams for US Gamer: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/red-dead-redemption-2-controls-bad-good-horrible-or-immersive
Matt Reynolds for Wired UK: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/red-dead-redemption-2-review-rockstar
Steven Scaife for Slant: https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2#disqus_thread

Three of the four articles were posted within RDR 2'd launch window, while the US Gamer article was posted about a month after the game's release. They can't all be characterized as part of a "juvenile" post-release backlash. Also, they're not all focused on Rockstar's labor concerns, which should be taken into account when critically thinking about the game.

Sep 12, 2018
Every game that gets that initial burst of glowing reviews goes through a critical reassessment. I think it's disingenuous to 1. dismiss it as criticism taking place in a Giant Bomb/Waypoint bubble when Patrick, Austin, and Rob Zacny had called out their personal concerns with the game from the jump and 2. other media groups have started reflecting on the game:
Russ Frushtick for Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/28/...mption-2-rdr2-no-power-curve-problem-bad-gta5
Mike Williams for US Gamer: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/red-dead-redemption-2-controls-bad-good-horrible-or-immersive
Matt Reynolds for Wired UK: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/red-dead-redemption-2-review-rockstar
Steven Scaife for Slant: https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2#disqus_thread

Three of the four articles were posted within RDR 2'd launch window, while the US Gamer article was posted about a month after the game's release. They can't all be characterized as part of a "juvenile" post-release backlash. Also, they're not all focused on Rockstar's labor concerns, which should be taken into account when critically thinking about the game.
As my game of the year I love that RDR 2 has inspired so much debate, I just wish the same happened with a similarly acclaimed game that underwhelmed me the most this year: God of War

ket

Jul 27, 2018
As my game of the year I love that RDR 2 has inspired so much debate, I just wish the same happened with a similarly acclaimed game that underwhelmed me the most this year: God of War

GoW went through the exact same thing. YouTubers like Matthewmatosis, TheGamingBrit, and Joseph Anderson have all heavily criticized it for its story and gameplay (particularly the combat).

Sep 12, 2018
GoW went through the exact same thing. YouTubers like Matthewmatosis, TheGamingBrit, and Joseph Anderson have all heavily criticized it for its story and gameplay (particularly the combat).
I've seen the Matthewmatosis video and agree with it almost wholeheartedly but I haven't seen nearly as much debate around here as well as in articles on the merits of the game. Like for all of Red Dead's naysayers in this very thread whenever it gets brought I feel like I'm the only one to do this with God of War, heh.

I think part of it is definitely Red Dead being the more recent game with a raggedy and deliberate nature that is part of the whole point of the experience whereas GoW is the epitome of a slick, accessible and pretty AAA product.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for giving me a list of h8rz

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the GOTY stuff kick off next week, or the week after?

I'm jonesing for those sweet, sweet deliberations.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I've seen the Matthewmatosis video and agree with it almost wholeheartedly but I haven't seen nearly as much debate around here as well as in articles on the merits of the game. Like for all of Red Dead's naysayers in this very thread whenever it gets brought I feel like I'm the only one to do this with God of War, heh.

I think part of it is definitely Red Dead being the more recent game with a raggedy and deliberate nature that is part of the whole point of the experience whereas GoW is the epitome of a slick, accessible and pretty AAA product.

Also RDR2 is a much more highly anticipated game then GoW.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Arthur's "bwoay" has a heavy Southern accent while Kratos' "boy" is great for memes.

Difficult choice

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Casual reminder that John Marsden was knocked out of the Best New Character running that year by Francis York Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.