• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds meaner than I want it to, but I dislike Claire's face. She's too pretty, like she was cast in a CW show or something. The performance is fine so far, though. I love the way they lean into the B-movie stuff.

TBF isn't it a b-movie thing to hire the prettiest looking white chick irregardless of acting chops.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Oh no this isn't good...

From Reddit

So, Bioware, would you like to explain why the Challenges of the Legionnaires mission exists? It'd be fine as a side mission you can passively make progress towards while doing other things, but gating main story content behind a bunch of random grinds is just ridiculous. Is it really just padding for time or is there some other reason that the mission was added?

A whole bunch of random things like 50 melee kills, 50 ultimate kills, 3 multikill medals, 3 world events, open 15 chests, find 10 random tiny collectibles on the ground, etc.

I haven't done the grind myself, but the streamer AdmiralBahroo is still working on it after nearly 2 hours

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
BioWare's sense of humor has gotten increasingly grating for me. Like lately they really love creating characters that are capital-Q Quirky, as if they're trying to fill an entire cast with that #adorkable goofball that everyone will write fanfic about where they awkwardly confess their love to the MC and then spill soda on themselves or something

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Oh no this isn't good...

From Reddit
wmkVSO8.gif

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
BioWare's sense of humor has gotten increasingly grating for me. Like lately they really love creating characters that are capital-Q Quirky, as if they're trying to fill an entire cast with that #adorkable character that everyone will write fanfic about where they awkwardly confess their love to the MC and then spill soda on themselves or something

It's like they're trying to be marvel.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
BioWare's sense of humor has gotten increasingly grating for me. Like lately they really love creating characters that are capital-Q Quirky, as if they're trying to fill an entire cast with that #adorkable character that everyone will write fanfic about where they awkwardly confess their love to the MC and then spill soda on themselves or something

A depressingly large amount of what's left of the Bioware fandom at this point are people who just really want to fuck their Bioware waifus/husbandos. I'm not surprised they're leaning into it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just saw it in the Anthem topic:
Once you do ~10 missions, and get to the freeplay stuff...

Here are the full requirements
  • Artinia: 5 World events, 30 Weapon defeats, 15 weak point defeats, 9 elite defeats
  • Cariff: 3 missions, 30 gear defeats, 15 combos, 3 multikills
  • Gawnes: 50 Melee defeats, 50 ult defeats, 3 legendary defeats
  • Yvena: 15 chests, 25 harvests, 3 javs repaired, 10 collectibles
All four are required to advance the main quest.

Fun Fact: Feat tracking is broken, so the only way to check progress is by manually flying to each tomb to see!

Yay! Isn't locking main storyline content behind an absurd grind fun? /s

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
America has a fuck ton of holidays
There aren't that many, it's just that there's a lot grouped around the end and beginning of the year. September has Labor Day, October has Columbus Day, November has Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving, December has Christmas and New Years, January has MLK Day, February has President's Day. Then there's nothing until Memorial Day in May, then 4th of July. So from now till September there's only 2 more holidays, and not every business observes Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, MLK Day, or Presidents Day

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a sign of a developer not confident in the length of their main campaign at all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's like they're trying to be marvel.
When I started to replay Andromeda I definitely got the sense Bioware was trying their hardest to get that Guardians of the Galaxy tone, and failed horribly.
The main character trying to be a quipy Starlord wannabe was just the worst and clashed horribly with the story they were trying to tell. Fate of a huge group of people is depending on you to find livable planets, and your Father just died? Lets treat everything like a joke.

Watching that new Anthem quicklook and it definitely doesn't seem any better. If anything the annoying chatter is even worse because the people chatting with you on coms is almost constant.

Also, I hate when Giant Bomb leaves strong motion blur on during quick looks. It just makes the videos a blurry mess when it has a lot of quick aiming and movement.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A depressingly large amount of what's left of the Bioware fandom at this point are people who just really want to fuck their Bioware waifus/husbandos. I'm not surprised they're leaning into it.

Eh. The idea this is a particularly significant portion of their audience or even that they're leaning into it is incredibly fanciful

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still coming up with a good path for getting the puzzles done and learning best habits for window boarding and x dodging. I wanna go for S rankings for each difficulty for both A/B
Yeah once you get a plan going it's smooth sailing.

One note on the window boarding is that only the first window (near the first actual save room) is worth boarding. Don't bother grabbing any other boards after that. You will backtrack to the hallway eventually but theres usually only two zombies ready in the set path and i just blast them with the shotgun or nade launcher and run past em.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
That Anthem QL is not pretty for Bioware. It's just Jeff shitting on it for an hour and to be fair to GB a lot of it seems justified (although Jeff's rejection of story in any video game ever is getting more and more extreme).

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Anthem QL is not pretty for Bioware. It's just Jeff shitting on it for an hour and to be fair to GB a lot of it seems justified (although Jeff's rejection of story in any video game ever is getting more and more extreme).

Jeff did this to RDR2 and it was the obvious GotY last year

Again, Jeff is great but his tastes are so eclectic as to be almost meaningless if you're using his impressions to make a buying decision or simply form an opinion on if a game is going to be good for you. Unless you happen to map your own likes and dislikes very closely to his, of course. His taste is very much removed from any sense of the mainstream, more that any other member of staff and maybe even the video games media as a whole, honestly.

If you want to use him to confirm a pre-existing negative opinion of something, I'm sure it's great and cathartic to watch him not like a game. And that's no knock against anyone in particular, because I've been there too.

Last edited:

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Brad's criticism of the story, lore and characters was totally valid but Jeff was basically "the fact the game making me engage with any story content at all is bad". It's weird to me man but that's his thing right now.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Got a "your order is on its way" email and I was like wtf did I order

totally forgot I pre-ordered the 2x vinyl LP of the Night In The Woods soundtrack, lol

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Brad.

Imagine being made to replay the same missions over and over in a boring loot shooter. That would be TERRIBLE.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah once you get a plan going it's smooth sailing.

One note on the window boarding is that only the first window (near the first actual save room) is worth boarding. Don't bother grabbing any other boards after that. You will backtrack to the hallway eventually but theres usually only two zombies ready in the set path and i just blast them with the shotgun or nade launcher and run past em.
I can do the first maybe quarter before X appears in about an hour. I want to get it down to 45 minutes. As soon as I need to get the clock tower stuff down and X is fully out there is when I kinda start losing track of things and want to run everywhere despite knowing that lickers then clog up the best paths. It is handy that you don't take fire grenade damage at close range so I am judiciously running up against lickers and one shotting them in the face as I bolt past.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Eh. The idea this is a particularly significant portion of their audience or even that they're leaning into it is incredibly fanciful

You're right that them leaning into it is a bit of a stretch but I want to push back on it not being a significant part of their audience - the relationship stuff is absolutely a huge part of Bioware's mainstream appeal, how a lot of the time they get headlines (sometimes for bad reasons - like their awful non-hetero options in Andromeda, but at least they tried I guess) and multiple times in my life when I come across people that don't play that many games, but happen to have played Mass Effect or Dragon Age, they always have some sort of Bioware crush. Hell, back at the end of December I watched a stream of someone playing ME for the first time, and one of the only things she knew about it was how hot she thought Garrus was.

As Bioware's "hardcore" audience has turned more hostile to them I absolutely think an increasingly large share of their fanbase are people almost primarily interested in the relationship side of it. That writing has become more Joss Whedon-y is just a happy coincidence for that.

If you want to use him to confirm a pre-existing negative opinion of something, I'm sure it's great and cathartic to watch him not like a game. And that's no knock against anyone in particular, because I've been there too.

I don't think Anthem looks great, but Jeff does have a tendency in games with combat systems that have various "abilities" designed to spice it up, to just completely ignore them, which obviously creates a "this is boring" feedback loop. See: How he played through Bioshock. He finds the first, simplest thing that works and just does that.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Man, that Anthem First Impressions video is rough. Jeff starts out accidentally selecting Quick Play (which puts you into a mission you've previously done to help out others), and then both him and Brad are flabbergasted when it's not a new mission. Jeff focuses soley on shooting guns and using zero abilities until Brad has to tell him to do so.

They have a lot of valid criticisms of the game, but man, it seems like something Jeff set out to not like, and was minimally interested in interacting with the game's systems

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can do the first maybe quarter before X appears in about an hour. I want to get it down to 45 minutes. As soon as I need to get the clock tower stuff down and X is fully out there is when I kinda start losing track of things and want to run everywhere despite knowing that lickers then clog up the best paths. It is handy that you don't take fire grenade damage at close range so I am judiciously running up against lickers and one shotting them in the face as I bolt past.
the lickers can easily be sneaked through by walking, usually the only lickers i bother killing are the ones at the lab and maybe the ones near the locker room if i really want to get the extra supplies, but yeah once you have a set path ready x is a non factor. The only time i find some resistance is maybe the library but there's a enough obstacles there to dodge him.

( i make sure to kill most if not all the zombies in the library early to prevent freak occurrences)

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're right that them leaning into it is a bit of a stretch but I want to push back on it not being a significant part of their audience - the relationship stuff is absolutely a huge part of Bioware's mainstream appeal, how a lot of the time they get headlines (sometimes for bad reasons - like their awful non-hetero options in Andromeda, but at least they tried I guess) and multiple times in my life when I come across people that don't play that many games, but happen to have played Mass Effect or Dragon Age, they always have some sort of Bioware crush. Hell, back at the end of December I watched a stream of someone playing ME for the first time, and one of the only things she knew about it was how hot she thought Garrus was.

As Bioware's "hardcore" audience has turned more hostile to them I absolutely think an increasingly large share of their fanbase are people almost primarily interested in the relationship side of it. That writing has become more Joss Whedon-y is just a happy coincidence for that.

I don't think Anthem looks great, but Jeff does have a tendency in games with combat systems that have various "abilities" designed to spice it up, to just completely ignore them, which obviously creates a "this is boring" feedback loop. See: How he played through Bioshock. He finds the first, simplest thing that works and just does that.

I don't mean to be flippant because I know it matters a great deal to people who are effect by and aware of issues surrounding representation, but in terms of the mainstream that stuff genuinely doesn't register with most people. Sure Waypoint or Polygon or Kotaku might run a headline but that's just the bubble we exist within more than anything else. It's not that everyone else is inherently opposed to better representation like GG or something, they just aren't engaged enough to even notice when people who do notice try to bring attention to it. Those sorts of issues wouldn't influence their buying decisions either way, and I certainly don't think it would make a terribly significant impact on sales.

Honestly, I think BioWare made it big by making successive seminal CRPGs in the early 00s. And we can argue about how important relationships were to the immersion, but I think it's that the systems they created were good, enjoyable and the stories weren't completely crap.

User choice more than relationships became a theme for them. Obviously the two are linked but things like the good/bad choice in KotOR or Ashley/Kaiden ME1 are the sorts of choices that stick in my mind, not being able to choose the right diagloue options and getting to see a PG13 fuck scene with a blue alien.

I will say I found the characters in Anthem to be overly chatty, but I'm willing to play the trial from the beginning with an open mind and see if they establish the world and those characters effectively. The demo very much felt like a vertical slice from midway through the game.

Oct 27, 2017
The best Mario game is Mario Kart DS.
Hell yeah.

BioWare's sense of humor has gotten increasingly grating for me. Like lately they really love creating characters that are capital-Q Quirky, as if they're trying to fill an entire cast with that #adorkable goofball that everyone will write fanfic about where they awkwardly confess their love to the MC and then spill soda on themselves or something

Also I totally agree with this. It's obnoxious.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
the lickers can easily be sneaked through by walking, usually the only lickers i bother killing are the ones at the lab and maybe the ones near the locker room if i really want to get the extra supplies, but yeah once you have a set path ready x is a non factor. The only time i find some resistance is maybe the library but there's a enough obstacles there to dodge him.

( i make sure to kill most if not all the zombies in the library early to prevent freak occurrences)
Yea I should just get better at dodging the lickers, but they always seem to be right at the door entry whenever I cross their paths.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ACTUALLY, the Anthem thing sounds straight out of World of Warcraft, where you had to grind shit in order to progress in the later stuff.

Real MMO nerds back me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.