• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of Anthem's woes are solved in its day 1 patch.

The whole rollout of Anthem has been truly baffling, given how many bugs or weird oversights it has. It's rare to see a game come in hot... for like a month straight.
There's an old Bombcast I listened to semi-recently when Jeff was playing through the Borderlands 1 DLC over the Christmas break and he was in agony over the DLC being roadblocked by "Collect ten pizzas! Collect fifteen pairs of panties!" etc, and I can't help but think of that whenever I see people talk about the grind gate in Anthem. It's an insanely outdated thing to just dump a huge collection of grinding goals, but they really did it. It's so wild.
Funny, in one of the early 2011 pods Jeff recounts how Borderlands 2 (DLC?) had a collectathon achievement so torturous that it broke his achievement lust. It was very similar to what you describe.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not even gonna bother with Anthem for a while. I'm still stuck with the pre-order, so I'll have to check it out eventually, hopefully it'll be in a better state

These are all the same warning signs that were popping up around Andromeda. Folks, we might have our early front-runner for Hottest Mess 2019.

Yves, save us

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I fell off Kingdom Hearts 3 soon after finishing the Toy Story world, Anthem is underwhelming, and my PC died. Video games are bad.

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely. You can see Baldur's Gate 2's roots in everything Bioware is, even today.

If you're intent on playing it, BG1&2 Enhanced Editions are the way to go. I'd recommend playing them in order because the stories are intimately connected. And don't be afraid to mod it--there's a lot of good ones out there.
Yeah I have them both on GOG. Cleaned up my library of games this week and cleared out roughly 600 games from my pc game store services. Those two stood out and I held on just in case. Hmm, I bet with a beginners guide video I could get into them. Thank you

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Super loving the RE2 playdates, but I can't help but feel like Abby's backing herself into a corner. I wish Dan would tell her that ammo conservation is kind of important, like he kind of alluded to it by saying she was being bold with her single save strategy. Guess I'm just worried we won't get to the end lol.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah Anthem is preloaded and ready to go but it's a Friday release so I'll be at work but even then, I might not bother playing till I hear more impressions post patch. I might just play more of The Division...

I'm really looking forward to 2 now...despite some of the political nonsense they seem to be implying

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a ranty Gertsmann this morning

Come this year's GOTY season, Jeff will remind BioWare that he is still a threat.
tumblr_ndn8ncxbrD1sqejyvo1_400.gif

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
Super loving the RE2 playdates, but I can't help but feel like Abby's backing herself into a corner. I wish Dan would tell her that ammo conservation is kind of important, like he kind of alluded to it by saying she was being bold with her single save strategy. Guess I'm just worried we won't get to the end lol.
You get enough ammo in every area to kill everything.

On normal anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious if it's possible to get into a state where you are basically unable to finish the game.

Also if anybody is interested in playing Metro, I highly recommend playing on a high difficulty level, otherwise you just get showered in crafting materials (which you use for ammo, health and filters) and if you want to play stealthy it's even easier.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yeah Anthem is preloaded and ready to go but it's a Friday release so I'll be at work but even then, I might not bother playing till I hear more impressions post patch. I might just play more of The Division...

I'm really looking forward to 2 now...despite some of the political nonsense they seem to be implying
For whatever bullshit they want to say about being "not political" (while still being decidedly political), it seems like a really fun game. Sunk hundreds of hours into the first Division with buddies, so I'm excited to give this one a shot, even if it feels like more of the same.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I doubt you can get to a point where you literally can't finish the game, especially on normal, but spending any ammo on Mr. X is just a complete waste. At that point you might as well just straight up discard your ammo (which I think she also did at some point? lol).

Anyway, I think the two important points that they should tell her and that are not spoilery are

1- Manage your ammo
2- Except for the very end of the game, you can always come back and backtrack everywhere on the map so you don't have to pickup everything you see. You can play the game without almost ever filling up your inventory completely. There's plenty of item boxes everywhere. You ESPECIALLY should never have to discard any valuable items because you are low on space.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I doubt you can get to a point where you literally can't finish the game, especially on normal, but spending any ammo on Mr. X is just a complete waste. At that point you might as well just straight up discard your ammo (which I think she also did at some point? lol).

Anyway, I think the two important points that they should tell her and that are not spoilery are

1- Manage your ammo
2- Except for the very end of the game, you can always come back and backtrack everywhere on the map so you don't have to pickup everything you see. You can play the game without almost ever filling up your inventory completely. There's plenty of item boxes everywhere. You ESPECIALLY should never have to discard any valuable items because you are low on space.

For most of the game I was rarely ever even killing zombies. Outside of a few enclosed areas they are super easy to avoid. Abby is going rambo though.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something about EA's Destiny-like coming out just after Activsiion says they want nothing to do with Destiny anymore just seems right.

Oct 27, 2017
Through the entire Leon campaign I pretty much killed every zombie and licker I came across. I mentioned earlier but I ended the game with over 100 rounds of pistol ammo and tons of flamethrower ammo. It was a bit ridiculous.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

1- Manage your ammo
Abby's main problem is that she carries around too much stuff. She only clears two spots in her inventory when she gets to a box. Stop carrying around those damn boards everywhere!

Through the entire Leon campaign I pretty much killed every zombie and licker I came across. I mentioned earlier but I ended the game with over 100 rounds of pistol ammo and tons of flamethrower ammo. It was a bit ridiculous.
Ammo conservation is only really important on hardcore. Otherwise you can pretty much just kill everything. Even when it seems like you are low, the game is just about to give you a bunch more ammo.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah the only way you can definitively run out of ammo on Normal is if you constantly attack Mr X whenever you see him, which unfortunately is what Abby kind of did. I don't really think she has any reason to worry,
considering Mr X isn't an issue for Claire, really. He'll just be dead as far as Claire is concerned after the Sherry section.

After that it'll just be back to regular enemies and Abby has no major issue with those, and the A scenario has one less boss fight at the end anyway. If she was playing Leon B or something I'd be really worried, though.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah between the performance issues with anthem, and hitting that grind quest, I really think I am done with this. What a disappointment for a game I had the lowest of expectations.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome back Dan!

I have a terrible memory for names but I remember you... So that mean you are either cool or a terrible person!

Han Seoul-Oh

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I was replaying through Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I somehow forgot about the part where Lara gets mauled by a cheetah for nearly a minute, kills it, then continues walking like nothing happened and with no injuries.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I only truly enjoyed 10 minutes of Shadow Raider and that was during the Oil field/plant part.

The ending was legit stupid too with it feeling like a whole cutscene was skipped to jump into the happy/joking ending dialogue even though the apocalypse was just happening two seconds ago

And also the part where
she immediately is chill with the bad guy as he is dying even though he is a motherfucker and admitted to being involved with her dad's death the last time that they spoke to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.