• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
That character model/animation is pretty good. I should probably pick up AC: Origins and/or Odyssey when I can sometime (have heard other good things about those), but I know they're both time commitment games, and I just checked and the lowest for even the base edition of the games is $20 and $30 respectively. And of course these are Ubisoft games with loads of crap in the season passes. The complete editions are still something like $100 base or more and discount to maybe $50 or $60 at best which is still kinda steep for me to be spending on 1-2 year old games (I guess less in the case of Odyssey it's more like 4 months, but that's still last season's model when it came out before the winter holidays), even if all the added content is actually worthwhile (which it probably isn't, but you get a worse deal if you try and pick and choose.)

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Mass Alex has made me realise how feeble the individual elements of the Mass Effect games are. Like, I remembered the combat being... bearable... and the exploration stuff being... OK... and having the game be "worth it" because of the characters and quests. Similar for ME2 (except the combat was a lot better) And then watching someone else play, it doesn't seem like that at all.

It's these super stilted, almost nonsensical conversations and plot points chained together with video game-ass gameplay encounters, and topped off with some of the worst side content in video games.

It bums me out, man.

Peoples old comparison that OG Mass Effect is like star trek really is more apt when you put it this way. I love star trek, seen every single episode of it multiple times. But boy.....50% of it.......it needs a watch guide

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
If there's one thing Origins does better than Odyssey, it's character animation. The latter has a lot of stiching together generalized animations for back-and-forth conversations with major or minor NPCs. Origins kinda saved its mocap budget for actual cutscenes and instead talking with NPCs is just two people standing in the world you can rotate the camera around.

Edit: That said for some reason Unity and Syndicate still look better to me (at least what I've seen of footage on a modern PC). They really overshot what these consoles could do when they scoped it out.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm Level 25 in The Division...

I've done all the safe house missions.

I have some irks though.

• The bullshit where an enemy is behind me and kills me because I'm focused on what's in front of me.
  • The fact that all these bounties end with some meat head with a shield and Gatling gun.
That's about it.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Mass Effect 3 has some straight up Call of Duty moments. Like when the robot lady is running at you in slow motion and if you don't shoot her enough times you get a game over.
iirc it was patched but in ng+, if you were using the sticky explosive pistol, you literally couldn't get past that part

and then there are the turret sequences, ugh

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Boy, turret sequences. Haven't those more or less dried up? I feel like that was a running gag around 2012 that a lot of games were just doing dull turret sequences as part of some sort of CoD-esque action-scene directing.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Boy, turret sequences. Haven't those more or less dried up? I feel like that was a running gag around 2012 that a lot of games were just doing dull turret sequences as part of some sort of CoD-esque action-scene directing.
I remember Ride to Hell Retribution's first playable section being a turret sequence...

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing Origins does better than Odyssey, it's character animation. The latter has a lot of stiching together generalized animations for back-and-forth conversations with major or minor NPCs. Origins kinda saved its mocap budget for actual cutscenes and instead talking with NPCs is just two people standing in the world you can rotate the camera around.

Edit: That said for some reason Unity and Syndicate still look better to me (at least what I've seen of footage on a modern PC). They really overshot what these consoles could do when they scoped it out.

I feel like this is particularly an Ubisoft hallmark. Show amazingly ambitious reveal trailer, probably at E3 (Watch_Dogs, The Division, etc.) that gets cut back significantly in the final product. I know other studios are guilty of it too, but god damn. And I still kinda want to pick up Watch_Dogs 1 or 2 at some point. Not nearly enough games set in Chicago (one of the real world cities I know best) or San Francisco. I think people generally say 2 is better, but I still kinda want to try 1 for the novelty of the location. The theme for both also tickles me, but I'm aware it's kind of standard Ubisoft open-world fare.

Probably? Shoutout to perhaps the best "turret sequence" of all time in "Death From Above" from the first Modern Warfare where you control the AC-130 as a thermal imaging operator. That particular game had a lot of great set-piece moments. I know MW2 turned it up to 11 though, so a lot of the charm was gone -- I don't remember if I even finished the MW2 campaign all the way through, some of the stuff in that one and latter CoDs was so ridiculous that it has slipped from my mind. I think I played way more of the first Modern Warfare than any subsequent CoD. 2007 was a damn good year for shooters of all sorts.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
iirc it was patched but in ng+, if you were using the sticky explosive pistol, you literally couldn't get past that part

and then there are the turret sequences, ugh

Literally the exact kind of shit the Bulletstorm "demo" made fun of over a year earlier.

Also shoutout to ME2 for having the worst "bloody screen" graphic of all time with those horrible red veins that show up when you're badly hurt.

Still quite fond of the trilogy despite its issues though.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Man this song is SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOD

giphy.gif

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
man apex's monetization stuff sure is bad

the lootboxes aren't great, but worse, you don't even get them every level after a point (20 is when it starts) and the rate only continues to decrease
which means you also have no flow of "crafting materials" so you can't even save up to buy the individual items you want, you have to buy lootboxes to get more of this currency, or rather, the chance to get this currency
you also can get items for characters you don't even have unlocked, which is a really bizarre choice, one that battlefront 2 also made

and then there's the store, where you can currently buy two valentines themed cosmetic items for $11 each, but you actually have to spend $20 if you want one of these (or $30 for both) since they're using disneyland rules to get more money from you than the cost of the thing you actually want to buy

and then we have the weekly items, where you can spend $20 for a skin for a gun you might find in a match, but if you find it on an enemy, you see their skin and not yours
and that's actually kinda cool but only further incentivizes me to never buy a gun skin
oh, and if you want the other color variation, you have to use an inordinate amount of the game's third currency, which you can only gain through leveling at just 600 per level
currently, one of these color variations is 10,500
a new character is 12,000
and you're not even "allowed" to buy these if you unless you buy the featured version with the currency you can buy with real money

and then there's an ultra rare secret cosmetic item for Wraith that guarantees to drop after 500 boxes

I like this game a whole lot and would love to give respawn some of my money but GOOD LORD this stuff fucking sucks

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
i'm actually really curious about crosscode but maybe when theres less games coming out
It is really incredibly good.

Parts of it reminds me of Zelda (especially the dungeon I'm doing right now)... It has a lot of classic 16bit action RPGs vibe but all that is wrapped in a MMO setting that is really cool and unique (especially if you have experience with MMO)... with like guilds and attunement quests and NPCs logging on and off because of real life stuff and joining your party when they are "online". It's a very neat and unique concept.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The Division is good. Like really good.

Also it's extremely satisfying getting new loot in that game.

Bring on that Division 2 open beta woot

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was cool when I could unlock things by playing the game. "Oh I can play as a giant blob of tofu. Cool, Kratos is now a fish."
I'd never pay to dress up a character, as nobody gives a fuck except you.

the number of times I HAVE BEEN COMPLEMENTED ON MY LOOKS in video games is endless
other people care

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It is really incredibly good.

Parts of it reminds me of Zelda (especially the dungeon I'm doing right now)... It has a lot of classic 16bit action RPGs vibe but all that is wrapped in a MMO setting that is really cool and unique (especially if you have experience with MMO)... with like guilds and attunement quests and NPCs logging on and off because of real life stuff and joining your party when they are "online". It's a very neat and unique concept.

i've always wanted a singleplayer thing based off an MMO since the social environment and the unique mix of "NPCs" and "player NPCs" could be rad as fuck

i always heard the dot hack games were like that

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Also shoutout to ME2 for having the worst "bloody screen" graphic of all time with those horrible red veins that show up when you're badly hurt.
Still quite fond of the trilogy despite its issues though.

Yeah the veins on the screen for heavy damage in ME2 were easily one of the worst implementations of such a mechanic/graphic ever.

Man this song is SO FUCKING GOOOOOOOD

I bought CrossCode over the winter sale period cause it looked dope. I still need to play it though -- it IS installed, but that's mostly because it's a pretty small filesize as it has a kind of 16-bit style throwback.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
not a big red mist fan as a specific feedback mechanic. it's a good vague one though, but being reliant on it for close to death sucks

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
man apex's monetization stuff sure is bad

the lootboxes aren't great, but worse, you don't even get them every level after a point (20 is when it starts) and the rate only continues to decrease
which means you also have no flow of "crafting materials" so you can't even save up to buy the individual items you want, you have to buy lootboxes to get more of this currency, or rather, the chance to get this currency
you also can get items for characters you don't even have unlocked, which is a really bizarre choice, one that battlefront 2 also made

and then there's the store, where you can currently buy two valentines themed cosmetic items for $11 each, but you actually have to spend $20 if you want one of these (or $30 for both) since they're using disneyland rules to get more money from you than the cost of the thing you actually want to buy

and then we have the weekly items, where you can spend $20 for a skin for a gun you might find in a match, but if you find it on an enemy, you see their skin and not yours
and that's actually kinda cool but only further incentivizes me to never buy a gun skin
oh, and if you want the other color variation, you have to use an inordinate amount of the game's third currency, which you can only gain through leveling at just 600 per level
currently, one of these color variations is 10,500
a new character is 12,000
and you're not even "allowed" to buy these if you unless you buy the featured version with the currency you can buy with real money

and then there's an ultra rare secret cosmetic item for Wraith that guarantees to drop after 500 boxes

I like this game a whole lot and would love to give respawn some of my money but GOOD LORD this stuff fucking sucks

I mean, in Apex it's still much better than some other predatory games, even games with only cosmetic lootboxes or whatever, especially as a F2P title with no "required" initial buy-in at all right now still.

The dude you linked that spent $500 pursuing a cosmetic in the first week of a game launch is a fool who needs help, even if he could "afford" it. I think I maybe spent no more than $200 total over the period of time that I played Dota 2 heavily, which was about 1200+ hours, mostly over the span of 3 years. Also, while most of those items have depreciated massively, I can still flip a fair few and if I sold absolutely everything at Steam Market buy prices, it's probably at least $50 or so at the low end. If I was luckier or invested more at the time, I could have items from the early days that are now still worth over $100, if not much more. And those were significantly less rare than 1% drops from lootboxes, maybe 5% or 10% if not higher. One very expensive set was just something that was straight on the store for like $12 direct and removed the next day because of community outrage (Alpine Ursa, lol, which is much more tame than most of the shit coming out now.)

The only other F2P (or even P2P) title I have spent a significant amount on microtransactions for I guess would be Hearthstone. Maybe up to a few hundred over a few years as well? And while I don't have the exact playtime stats (probably in the hundreds of hours at least, if not 4 digits), I was certainly going fairly hard for some time in high-level constructed play, which required enough cards at a rate that isn't really reachable by purely F2P players. That's kind of the nature of card games though. Certainly cheaper than many other hobbies, including paper Magic the Gathering (love MtG Arena by the way, but I think I only put around $50 in that so far and haven't played much since open beta launched, even though I was in closed beta for some time.) Also, the factor of playing a card game from the comfort of my own home without having to schedule around and travel to tournaments or whatever is not to be understated. (I still have an older paper MtG collection whose value is likely in the hundreds of dollars, if not low thousands).

And spending the equivalent of maybe $50-$70 or so every 3-4 months for a few years to get hundreds of hours isn't that terrible an investment. I think I paid for a fair few card packs with WoW token gold as well >.>

petethepanda

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Catching up on the Beastcast. Hearing Abby get excited about Animal Crossing has me hoping they do some kind of basic, chill "Abby hangs out, plays Animal Crossing and just talks about whatever" stream whenever it actually comes out. (And speaking of which, I could really go for a Jeff old games stream lately.)
I will never understand people who buy cosmetics in video games.
Counterpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.