• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
So after like 5-6 hours of Anthem spread out across a few days, I updated Destiny 2 and hopped back in to both a capped character and a made a new one and played it for a few hours.

This is the video game equivalent of Target coming into Canada, buying up all the dead Zellers, and opening over a hundred stores nationwide to try to combat Wal-mart without the pricing, the stock chain, or the wherewithal to understand what customers even want. It wasn't truly terrible in it's own right, but there's a million little details that I could look at and go "oh, this is clearly better/easier over here at this established thing instead".

Anthem feels like Exhibit A in misunderstanding expectations and how not to read a room.

You could say the same about Destiny and Destiny 2, especially at launch. Anthem suffers from many of the same problems haha. Almost everything Destiny did wrong was done better elsewhere, it was like they didn't look at any other loot games as an example of how to make a good one. Not saying Anthem is any better in this regard, but I also don't agree that Destiny is a good example to look at lol

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could say the same about Destiny and Destiny 2, especially at launch. Anthem suffers from many of the same problems haha. Almost everything Destiny did wrong was done better elsewhere, it was like they didn't look at any other loot games as an example of how to make a good one. Not saying Anthem is any better in this regard, but I also don't agree that Destiny is a good example to look at lol
Where were things done better than Destiny? Genuinely curious because it has hands down the best gameplay and shooting in any loot shooter.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they will but I hope that Vinny will make sure they get the pre-order DLC for ME3... He's the best character of that game.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
Where were things done better than Destiny? Genuinely curious because it has hands down the best gameplay and shooting in any loot shooter.

I find the movement (flying feels really good except for the aggressive overheating) and abilities far more fun/interesting in Anthem. On Destiny everything has a long cooldown (at least when I played, I only played both games at launch for a few months though, no expansions) so most of the time you are just shooting. In Anthem I am using abilities all the time and most of them feel really good to use (at least everything besides Ranger, haven't played that javelin much). The combo system makes it interesting too, finding the right combination of abilities to use (Whether you are solo or playing with friends/randoms).

The shooting in Destiny is unquestionably better though, I 100% agree on that!

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I find the movement and abilities far more fun/interesting in Anthem. On Destiny everything has a long cooldown (at least when I played, I only played both games at launch for a few months though, no expansions) so most of the time you are just shooting. In Anthem I am using abilities all the time and most of them feel really good to use (at least everything besides Ranger, haven't played that javelin much). The combo system makes it interesting too, fidning the right combination of abilities to use (Whether you are solo or playing with friends/randoms)
Yeah, Destiny seems extremely boring to me after playing Anthem. Abilities and movement are so much more fun in Anthem.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the movement (flying feels really good except for the aggressive overheating) and abilities far more fun/interesting in Anthem. On Destiny everything has a long cooldown (at least when I played, I only played both games at launch for a few months though, no expansions) so most of the time you are just shooting. In Anthem I am using abilities all the time and most of them feel really good to use (at least everything besides Ranger, haven't played that javelin much). The combo system makes it interesting too, finding the right combination of abilities to use (Whether you are solo or playing with friends/randoms).

The shooting in Destiny is unquestionably better though, I 100% agree on that!
They did decrease cooldown time from launch (of D2), but it still primarily a gun game. Guess it depends what you are looking for. But I find double jumping and headshotting someone with a throwing knife - only for their head to burst into a poof of smoke unquestionably more fun than anything I experienced in anthem.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Alex run around The Normandy.... Remember when they added an unskippable full body scan thing on the ship in ME3 that you have to go through everytime you port back to the ship to hide a load screen on consoles but they still left it there on the PC version?

Good times.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
They did decrease cooldown time from launch (of D2), but it still primarily a gun game. Guess it depends what you are looking for. But I find double jumping and headshotting someone with a throwing knife - only for their head to burst into a poof of smoke unquestionably more fun than anything I experienced in anthem.

Yea I agree, definitely different in terms of how they play! PVP in anthem would not be fun at all haha

May 5, 2018
Wow, looking at the new games this week it really is just Anthem and Steins;Gate Elite, unless people are super excited for Farm Together. Otherwise not too eventful this week unless you're really excited for Anthem.

Also can I just say I've been bothered that Giant Bomb hasn't fixed the new games problem where the first games listed are games released 2 week prior. Maybe it intentional that they haven't fixed it, but I never understood why I have to scroll a page down to find out what's releasing this week.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, looking at the new games this week it really is just Anthem and Steins;Gate Elite, unless people are super excited for Farm Together. Otherwise not too eventful this week unless you're really excited for Anthem.

Also can I just say I've been bothered that Giant Bomb hasn't fixed the new games problem where the first games listed are games released 2 week prior. Maybe it intentional that they haven't fixed it, but I never understood why I have to scroll a page down to find out what's releasing this week.
I wish I could scroll through all the months. Not just till March 9th or whatever.

I realize that all of the calendar is not fully filled out, but even something like knowing when Division 2 or Sekiro or Days Gone come out would be useful to me. (Games with release dates already)

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Dzxrv6MWwAAVq-s.jpg:orig

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Linear Bounded Phenogram is the more important new Steins;Gate release this week anyway

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its better than the wire
i've waffled on this over the years and i think i agree. The Wire has a really impressive construction of characters to illustrate the futility of public institutions, but it's bookended by seasons that don't match the heights of the middle three. season 5 is particularly flimsy in comparison and it's disappointing that it kinda doesn't stick the landing. The Sopranos has some points where it falters, but there's never any specific element that the stakes of the show are hinged to the way The Wire was to say, McNulty's antics in season 5, so it never gets stuck in a rut for too long.

it also doesn't help that the real world in the years following the end of The Wire has done a more than adequate job illustrating how fucked up and dysfunctional the institutions highlighted in the show are every day. it's like David Simon is ghostwriting The Matrix :/

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
my Night In The Woods vinyl soundtrack is out for delivery, can't wait

also bought the Gregg Rulz OK shirt yesterday

Chasm of the Abyss

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
UK
The Sopranos is great, but nothing touches The Wire.

David Simon can do no wrong.

At least the debate is Sopranos and not Breaking Bad... such an overrated show.

Oct 25, 2017
ASG was fun and it should be interesting to hear their thoughts as they wrap up.

Also i'm 1000% on-board for them to watch that fucking godawful movie.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the biggest failures of Anthem is in the enemy designs
Destiny's factions got old after a bit, but at least they felt pretty distinct and had different strategies.

Most of the enemies I have fought so far in anthem have been fairly mindless

Status
Not open for further replies.