• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if you weren't following 100% because I can get detailed, like I'm a RICO lawyer detailed when it comes to the game industry. Some stuff just takes a lot to connect the dots. And this post is still gonna take a minute so buckle up:

My comments here in the past day(?) was tied first to the controversy about reviewers not being very good at games in regards to that Xbox (executive's?) comment about a reviewer(s) needing to "git gud" with Anthem basically.

No, I don't think the people I mentioned were bad journalists. I'd say they were good enough journalists/writers/analysts that they got hired into the development side of the industry. The subtle implication is that most people still in pulpy game journalism/reviews/analysis are doing it because they can't get better or more "prestigious" jobs in the games industry or elsewhere (whether in journalism at large or something else).

Though a cushier games journalism job at a respected establishment is still going to be better than a brutal low-level QA job in most places.

FWIW I'm highly interested in tech if not games alone, and would like to work/am studying to work in the field or a related field, if not as an explicit designer/programmer/artist, then a consultant or technical writer. Maybe work as a games or tech historian — had a professor who did that and he was very interesting, but the academic/historical career path is very rough.

I guess what I'm kinda saying, it's about ethics in game journalism and the game industry at large, but without the whole hateful prejudice and discrimination angle, and without doxxing or other vigilante (whether internet-based or physical world) hate crime aspects.

If you want to call me anything, I'm a fierce meritocratist or technocratist, with the huge caveat that I understand the value and necessity of diverse viewpoints to create better goods and services. Whether that's based on gender, sex, race, place of origin, philosophical beliefs, disabilities (or lack thereof - both mental and physical), age, etc. Any identity qualifier you could think of. I believe that knowledge and truthful information is the root of all power.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.
lol, yeah, I'll bet.

Hell of a time to voluntarily clad yourself in the GamerGate cape and still ask to be taken seriously.

Don't let the door hit your ass on your way out, friend.
giphy.gif

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Whenever critics, forums and streamers unite and heavily criticize/hate on a game (justified or not), I feel really bad for the developers of said game. It's a weird feeling to have since I have no interest in Anthem at all.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Whenever critics, forums and streamers unite and heavily criticize/hate on a game (justified or not), I feel really bad for the developers of said game. It's a weird feeling to have since I have no interest in Anthem at all.

If i was a game dev I'd never go onto unofficial gaming forums to see how my game was received.

Sep 12, 2018
I feel bad more for the devs having to release the game in a rushed state because they had a publisher end of fiscal year deadline to reach.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The best kind of shower is after when you get your hair cut pretty thin and it massages your scalp, aaaah

Really Dough is my favorite song off Atrocity Exhibition.
My hair is too thick and luscious to be cut thin, what does this mean?

That said, I'm afraid to ask for a shampoo when I get my hair cut because I don't trust myself to not moan under my breath unintentionally because scalp massages are so sensual.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My hair is very long right now but I'm to fucking lazy to go to a barber.

Thinking about buying a trimmer and just cut it all of myself, but the thing is that I dont know what I would look like with a shaved head.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Jason was doing some good gymnastics on the last Bombcast.

This Anthem, does not sound like my kinda guy.

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem seems like a game that was manufactured soley out of the desire to *have one of those* instead of any genuine creative interest. That's not always inherently a bad thing, but with Anthem... it just feels like an unnecessary and redundant product that is that will likely lead to a lot of Bioware people being out of work.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
man... kiwami is good... well yakuza crime drama is good and familiar faces are good being sent on a ring fetch quest for thirty minutes was less good, but, ya know

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm getting the s10e over the s10 because I fucking haaaaaaaaate the over the edge design of my galaxy s8. It actually makes it hard to interact with the phone when my hands are sweaty because it detects sweat on the side as a touch.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Anthem seems like a game that was manufactured soley out of the desire to *have one of those* instead of any genuine creative interest. That's not always inherently a bad thing, but with Anthem... it just feels like an unnecessary and redundant product that is that will likely lead to a lot of Bioware people being out of work.
I'm looking forward to the inevitable Schreier tell-all article because I really want to know what the hell was going on behind-the-scenes here. Development apparently started all the way back in 2012, two years before Destiny, and I'd be willing to bet halfway through development someone in the power hierarchy gave the order to reboot whatever it was they were making into a shlooter.

May 5, 2018
Anytime I hear about Anthem and it's problems I think about that Simpson's clip where Barney celebrates becoming an astronaut by having non-alcoholic wine. Yet Barney gets drunk anyways and flys off with a jet pack but it quickly runs out of fuel.

Think of Barney crashing as a loading screen or archaic game design decision getting in the way of fun.

In all seriousness, I don't wish bad on BioWare and hope for the best to them. But this is NOT how you want a 6 year old developed product to be.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff made me wait on Anthem. I'll wait for a sale. I was hoping for a good campaign at least and it sounds like it can't even do that.

anotherdoof

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I have a question on the Bombcast Anthem discussion. Never having played WoW or other MMO, what's the connection between Anthem and old MMO design they discussed.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I have a question on the Bombcast Anthem discussion. Never having played WoW or other MMO, what's the connection between Anthem and old MMO design they discussed.
I'm assuming they're talking about the tomb stuff where you need to do like 30 kills with your ultimate and 50 kills in melee or some shit to progress. Old MMO quests were a lot of "Kill 10 rats". So anthem has that old style "kill something an arbitrary amount of times and we'll consider your work complete" deal

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like Jeff his opinion on games he decides he hates is pretty worthless to me

He's usually spot on for single player stuff for me. He enjoyed D2's campaign at least and he hated D1. So far his opinions about Anthem are about the same across the board from other reviewers I follow. Def not gonna buy it day one for an underwhelming campaign and meh endgame content. Hopefully when I get it, it'll have more content added to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.