• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• What You Do Will Matter, I Promise

Votes: 42 14.8%
  • I Want To Turn Into A Wolf And Fuck!

Votes: 106 37.3%
  • Business Dave Energy

Votes: 39 13.7%
  • Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 55 19.4%
  • Money is Yucky, Milk Is Yummy!

Votes: 42 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2018
Guys calm down about the GOTY talk. We'll see if Apex Legends gets a weekly stream series. I'm trying to do what I can to not repeat last year's mistake of talking about GOTY too early.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's Final Fantasy VIII's 20th anniversary and I'm thinking about it a lot and I'm slowly realising that, to me, that game was way more formative than I ever gave it credit for even though I never finished it until I was in uni

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
final fantasy 8 is a game i have tried to get into about 4 times and each time i was stymied by a different aspect of the game i found entirely offputting

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
final fantasy 8 is a game i have tried to get into about 4 times and each time i was stymied by a different aspect of the game i found entirely offputting

honestly it is not a great game from a game design perspective but there is something about it and the timing of it for me that really just emblazed it in my mind forever

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

My favorite thing about FF8 is how easily you can break it apart and become overpowered as shit. You can be endgame ready by the end of the first disc with just a bit of effort.

Plus gunblades are cool

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Apex just makes me wanna buy Titanfall 2.

I never had the money to buy it when it launched and the playerbase died off but now it's kinda resurging so I'm tempted

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
this is gonna be like murder island
spend a whole bunch of time lootign
get killed by the first squad they run into
but its good content

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
No one game should "dominate" content ever. It just means even more games are overlooked and that's not great

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More like Ahem because that's the sound Anthem will make when grasping for attention over AL.

Eh, I could be wrong. I don't wish bad on BioWare and hope Anthem is successfully enough for them. But it'll be interesting to see how Anthem does with AL being White Hot right now.

I don't really get why people think there's massive overlap between a F2P FPS Battle royale that's chasing after Fortnite marketshare and a third-person co-op RPG shooter beyond the same publisher being involved. It'd be like saying in 2018 that Red Dead was in trouble because Fortnite existed.

They're very different things, Anthem will succeed or fail on its own merits.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Apex with full Titanfall mobility would be so much better TBH

But yeah - if Anthem flops, it'll be because of competition from that.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us more Blue Bombin'.
Give us Beast in the East II.
Give us Endurance Run: Shenmue 2.
Give us Load Our Last Save: TIE Fighter or Freespace 2.
Give us Gaiden the Ring or Get in the Ring.
Give us This Is the Run: Metal Slug.
Give us more Demo Derby.
Give us more Game Tapes.
Give us more Jeff Gerstmann's Pro Skater.
Give us the rest of Vinnyvania: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.
Give us Cooking with Dan Ryckert and Vinny Caravella.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apex with full Titanfall mobility would be so much better TBH

But yeah - if Anthem flops, it'll be because of competition from that.

I think Rob on Waypoint explained why full Titanfall mobility was never a real option on their podcast that was recorded as the annoucment was being made last week; it wildly increases the skill-gap.

It'd be like flying in Rocket League on steroids. That's not what a F2P game is after if it wants to be successful. They need it to be accessible.

PSA: it's ok to like gravy

Only KFC gravy tho

Oct 25, 2017

Give us more Demo Derby.
Give us more Game Tapes.

There, I fixed it

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
EA should be doing more to cross promote between their games, honestly. Like what's Bangalore doing in the world of anthem, play this quest and unlock some gear or something.

And games don't have to be in the same genre to compete. Everything these days is competing for your time and attention. That's why EA putting both these A-titled games out in the same month is weird.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EA should be doing more to cross promote between their games, honestly. Like what's Bangalore doing in the world of anthem, play this quest and unlock some gear or something.

And games don't have to be in the same genre to compete. Everything these days is competing for your time and attention. That's why EA putting both these A-titled games out in the same month is weird.

You're basically saying they need to Ubi-up. Ubi are the kings of crossovers in on-going games these days.

I don't think BR exist in the old AAA, B categories, they share as much heritage with the likes of Farmvile as Mass Effect. And certainly more in how they'll make money.

The existence of BR didn't slow down COD last year so the idea that Apex Legends alone derails Anthem is fanciful to me. The Division 2 being as good as it looks like being is much more of a threat.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
NY
at least now the expectations for anthem are so low that it could only exceed them

we need more content like brad reviewing the catering at the video game preview events he's been going to

Last edited:

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017

Give us more Demo Derby.
Give us more Game Tapes.

There, I fixed it

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
It's pretty insane how apex already makes Blackout feel archaic and backwards. The ping system should be the standard from here on out.

This is one of the best/worst things about video games due to their mechanical nature, and it being a relatively new major genre only makes it happen more rapidly - iteration makes everything that comes out as time goes on (generally) better, and sadly makes a lot of what came out before harder to enjoy as much. It's happened at an accelerated pace with Battle Royale games in not even two years. It's weird to look back on PUBG at this point, because even though I still appreciate a lot about it (I think it has a place as a slower and more tactical BR game, but I know a lot of people always thought it was a technical disaster) it looks like a total mess compared to the clean polish of Apex or even Blackout, which as you say, even that is now becoming outdated.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
theres so much i love about final fantasy x and so much i think could be improved (voice acting and a bit of excessive nomura design and male gaziness being pretty high among them) but man i think about this game a lot

and if you could skip cutscenes i would probably play it a shit ton more than once every five years

in a lot of ways i think it really does have some of the best that the classic idea of final fantasy has to offer

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I have never understood the difference between chili and chili con carne. Is the latter more soupy? Also how hot are those chilis?

So I've got Arbol, New Mexico, Ancho and Chipotle.

Arbol are the only real hot ones with the rest adding sweetness, fruitiness and smokiness, respectively.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just fully do not enjoy the Battle Royale + Arcade twitch shooter combination. Playing Apex is like playing COD, or Titanfall or whatever. I'm not good, everyone else is faster and better, except I only get 1 try at this and have to go through the whole cycle every time only to fail again. Just can't get gud enough.

Which isn't to say I'm *good* at PUBG but there at least I felt like I had a chance in the early game and could maybe get close to the end before failing.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I think Rob on Waypoint explained why full Titanfall mobility was never a real option on their podcast that was recorded as the annoucment was being made last week; it wildly increases the skill-gap.

It'd be like flying in Rocket League on steroids. That's not what a F2P game is after if it wants to be successful. They need it to be accessible.
Let's not act like battle royale games don't have mechanics that have a large skill-gap. Fortnite's building can give a ridiculous advantage to high-level players.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not act like battle royale games don't have mechanics that have a large skill-gap. Fortnite's building can give a ridiculous advantage to high-level players.

But this already a BR game; adding wall running and mechs to it would increase it further. I'm sure it would be lots of fun for people who are good at those mechanics but it just sets the bar of being 'good' even higher. For a F2P game that equates to turning more potential customers away.

They're dying faster than they do in PUBG.

From the one game of it I played, Apex is a million times faster than PUBG. That's pretty natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.