• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • Big Dick Daddy Dom

Votes: 128 52.2%
  • It's Terrible. I Love It!

Votes: 49 20.0%
  • No Wrestling Or Anime. Only Video Games.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Give Me The Bird's ass, Or Give Me Death

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
All this talk of keeping women off boxarts is just reminding me of when 2K was like "Fuck you, you're not putting Elizabeth on the cover of Bioshock Infinite. It'll be Booker at his most grizzled with a gun and a bunch of fire. End of story."

Which made for a harsh comparison when TLOU had Ellie front and center.
TLOU really ate Bioshock Infinite's lunch and legacy. It was just so much better as a shooter bonding exercise with bleak things to say about human nature. Its telling that the more restrained ending for TLOU hit harder than Bioshock Infinite trying very hard to be mindblowing.

Also both had commentary on progressive issues that were compromised, but that's another issue and at least The Last of Us had subtlety.

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU really ate Bioshock Infinite's lunch and legacy. It was just so much better as a shooter bonding exercise with bleak things to say about human nature. Its telling that the more restrained ending for TLOU hit harder than Bioshock Infinite trying very hard to be mindblowing.

Also both had commentary on progressive issues that were compromised, but that's another issue and at least The Last of Us had subtlety.
Infinite's attempts to tackle religon and racsim are so pathetically shallow that I've written Levine off as a writer until further notice.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D4wtPPfXsAA1yz5
They already had Thanos.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Also Ronda Rouseys bad acting is a insult to the high caliber writing and acting the Mortal Kombat franchise is known for!
Seriously though: She could've donated all of her MMA money to all of the best charities on the planet and say the nicest things to every disenfranchised person she met and I still won't hire her to be a VA.

She's fucking awful.

I must be the only person who is utterly bored by Garrus.
Is this when you're supposed to cancel someone?

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
All this talk of keeping women off boxarts is just reminding me of when 2K was like "Fuck you, you're not putting Elizabeth on the cover of Bioshock Infinite. It'll be Booker at his most grizzled with a gun and a bunch of fire. End of story."

Which made for a harsh comparison when TLOU had Ellie front and center.
god that was so shitty, especially after playing the game and you realize the story is 100% Elizabeth's

at least the reversible cover was nice and artsy

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I must be the only person who is utterly bored by Garrus.
no, you are valid

I really didn't buy him going from frustrated cop to badass space batman who is your bro since my by-the-books Shepard pushed him in the "paragon" direction, but I still like him

would have liked him more if I could have romanced him but thaaaat's mass effect

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Kassandra is bae. Probably my favorite AC protagonist since Evie
Evie was only two games prior but in any case, Bayek and Aya were better anyways. And I've said it before but I feel like Jacob doesn't get enough love, probably because Evie was a great inclusion after their bullshit about playable female characters in Unity so people focused on her (also there's weird time-jumpey shit and you play the game out of order to get equal Jacob playtime).
Exactly, thank you!
god that was so shitty, especially after playing the game and you realize the story is 100% Elizabeth's

at least the reversible cover was nice and artsy
I love that old timey board book look. That was great.

I doubt it'll happen but it would be nice if either of the platform holders mandated reversible cover art next gen (or at the very least the box art again without the logos and whatnot) in lieu of legalese or controller diagrams. It's a relatively little thing that I really appreciate.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Because it was free I've been playing a few hours of Unity and I'll never accept Arno.

That fucking accent, ugh. You meet a dude in the Bastille who sounds like he should be commanding the Black on the Wall in Game of Thrones. In the goddamn Bastille.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Because it was free I've been playing a few hours of Unity and I'll never accept Arno.

That fucking accent, ugh. You meet a dude in the Bastille who sounds like he should be commanding the Black on the Wall in Game of Thrones. In the goddamn Bastille.
the weirdest part is how they still pepper in some french words (and then caption over them). they were deathly afraid of frenchness in the game set in france, for some reason.

it's much better done in acoo from what i've seen.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, and I definitely think ID has been trying to cater to them - the writing in the Doom Infinite trailer especially with its comparing of corporate sensitivity to the alien invasion of Earth. Really, the only FPS studio that goes out of their way not to be pandering to that crowd in some way is Machine Games, and they've got their own problems.

There's also that "calling them demons is an offensive term, call them mortally challenged" joke that borders on the transphobic jokes you see on 4chan and the like. I love Doom and on occassion make maps for the originals and did some modding for 3 way back in the day, but watching that gameplay footage was pretty sus and I'm not surprised alt-righters started harping on it - here's what the neo-nazi sympathiser who develops Brutal Doom had to say about it. It's a masterstroke if you want Doom to be "shocking" again since no one cares about satanic imagery anymore and America's (the core market for most games, no point in pretending otherwise) religious landscape among young people has been dropping over the years. Want to "offend" people and appeal to your core demographics (who are already buying the game) at the same time? Sneak in some dogwhistling. The ones who are into it will love it and you have enough plausible deniability, especially with Doom being such a fucking stupid game concept-wise, that any criticism can be brushed aside as "it's just a game about shooting demons" even among progressives. Especially since the targets of the jokes (trans community, immigrants in the case of that "melting pot" dialogue in the demo) aren't still 100% accepted even by #wokes in 2019.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Ubi really went through the trouble of casting two main VAs while planning for one of them to be the canon protag.

Such a waste of money & time.

Oct 28, 2017
i always intended to play brutal doom some day. now i no longer need to.

There was some thread in the zdoom modding forums many years ago written by someone who had depression and was thinking about committing suicide and the Brutal Doom guy linked him to an amazon link to buy a rope and told him he was giving him the "final solution" when he was called out (he was eventually banned for stirring up shit multiple times). He bad.

Also he used to tell women who made gaming videos to go back to the kitchen in YT comments circa 2013-2014. He's sort of been trying to clean up his act since he has a Patreon and the mod is really popular now, but the mask still drops every now and then like in that Twitter screencap I posted. Also he's a racist.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit it's the Shoot Mania Beta video on GB Infinite right now and that game had a Battle Royale mode back in 2012

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's totally value into showing how a Switch game is running in handheld mode but doing the whole quicklook like that is really dumb...

Status
Not open for further replies.