• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Vinny Don't Goof

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • Big Dick Daddy Dom

Votes: 128 52.2%
  • It's Terrible. I Love It!

Votes: 49 20.0%
  • No Wrestling Or Anime. Only Video Games.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Give Me The Bird's ass, Or Give Me Death

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Honestly, the narrative was the big issue with Bioshock Infinite and not the gameplay which was fine.

Took a very long time for the level of political analysis to show up in mainstream games criticism to call that out though.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
This was the first game I ever launched on my PC. The art design on Ultra/1440p/144 FPS made my eyes melt

I also found the gameplay held up incredibly well. I'll never understand the revisionist idea that Bioshock Infinite was anything less than a great FPS
Yeah it's absolutely stunning played it originally on high at 1080p at launch and was stunned but now playing at 4k60 at ultra. With Ini tweaks to increase shadows and lighting even higher it still looks incredible. I bet it'd feel so good at 144hz! And yeah I don't get those views at all!

I still stand by the thinking that Infinite had one of the great FPS openers of all time. (Going up to Columbia, Exploring it till you reach the fair)
Yeah it's so great. The boat ride, the launch, the baptism, stepping into Columbia, the beach boy cover Barber shop song, then the raffle. It's just perfect.

Also the fare having the games as tutorials is brilliant

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Honestly, the narrative was the big issue with Bioshock Infinite and not the gameplay which was fine.

Took a very long time for the level of political analysis to show up in mainstream games criticism to call that out though.
Yeah I totally agree the centrist thing Levine went with, "both sides are bad!!" Aged really poorly, and even more so in the current political climate

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Video game writing has gone through a very painful puberty this decade, and while I will argue it has a long way to go it's amazing seeing the differences in writing trends.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Relevant:
Chase-and-Nathaniel-490x337.jpg

Finally a reason to post this pic in GBera

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i feel kinda weird that in my history of video games going back to mortal kombat 2 i have really barely played any of them except for deception which i played for like 50+ hours

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the core Booker/Liz parallel worlds stuff is enjoyable (especially being backed up by gorgeous art, music, and fantastic acting) but there's so much iffy stuff surrounding the story and setting
B:I is an instance where I can sorta look past that stuff and enjoy the parts I enjoy but even then
like.. they bring up all these charged themes and imagery and go about it in some very clumsy ways
and then by the end none of it is even relevant to what that story actually is?? so... why

idk
I love that game but.... yeah

anyway, I will slut shame anyone who has fucked 1000 cars

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Is that next Bioshock game still happening? I want to see what a Bioshock released in 2019/2020s looks like.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
the thing with Infinite is that my issue with the writing wasn't really just the racism/both sides stuff... like that absolutely is an issue I had while playing but I remember there was even a lot of basic "I don't understand why these characters are reacting like this" kinda things, and so on

...but I too bad no real gameplay issues

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

It played fine, I won't disagree, but coming from the lineage it did made it feel like a major step down from the exploration of the Von Braun, Rickenbacker, and Rapture. How encounters would play out in previous games where there was an element of set up and stealth, tackling things your own way, to what effectively turned into something like Call of Duty where I was traversing down murder hallways, having no investment in my inventory, and the environment was more for pulling a Ryckert and eating hot dogs from the trash.

I mostly see it as a game of hugely wasted potential. When I heard it had a "1999 mode" I was hoping for something that really called back to their earlier design sentiments, but it was just "now it's hard mode without a waypoint button!" but I didn't need to use that because the game was so guided anyway. Elizabeth was another maaajor missed opportunity. You have this girl that can literally tap into alternate timelines and the previews played up the kind of weirdness that could come from that. In practice, she was there to generate ammo boxes, health kits, and turrets. Man.

Then Last of Us came out and took all the daddy simulator who shoot bangs attention.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update on the "what game should I play" post from a day or two ago.

I said screw your sensible suggestions and I jumped back into RDR2 after 4 months of not touching it.

I had 1 mission left in Chapter 4 and Iran through Chapter 5 (which is only like 2 hours) in one go. I can totally see how that chapter pissed people off but the long break made it OK for me since most of that time was remembering the dumb controls and aiming feel.

I am going to mainline the shit out of this game and get'er done. I need to start finishing games again.

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the final boss in Sekiro with friends watching. I guess I just needed an audience so I could live vent my frustration.

I'll leave the option boss and the other endings to better players than me. Overall I enjoyed the game, but I didn't love it the way I loved previous From games. It's most assuredly high quality in every department, but unlike DS3 and Bloodborne, I can't see myself ever returning to it.

I'll forever take pride in my insane luck beating (boss name spoilers) Genichiro and Lady Butterfly on my first try.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
It played fine, I won't disagree, but coming from the lineage it did made it feel like a major step down from the exploration of the Von Braun, Rickenbacker, and Rapture. How encounters would play out in previous games where there was an element of set up and stealth, tackling things your own way, to what effectively turned into something like Call of Duty where I was traversing down murder hallways, having no investment in my inventory, and the environment was more for pulling a Ryckert and eating hot dogs from the trash.

I mostly see it as a game of hugely wasted potential. When I heard it had a "1999 mode" I was hoping for something that really called back to their earlier design sentiments, but it was just "now it's hard mode without a waypoint button!" but I didn't need to use that because the game was so guided anyway. Elizabeth was another maaajor missed opportunity. You have this girl that can literally tap into alternate timelines and the previews played up the kind of weirdness that could come from that. In practice, she was there to generate ammo boxes, health kits, and turrets. Man.

Then Last of Us came out and took all the daddy simulator who shoot bangs attention.
Oh yeah, I kind of forgot that Bioshock was a series that tried to be an immersive sim at some point.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update on the "what game should I play" post from a day or two ago.

I said screw your sensible suggestions and I jumped back into RDR2 after 4 months of not touching it.

I had 1 mission left in Chapter 4 and Iran through Chapter 5 (which is only like 2 hours) in one go. I can totally see how that chapter pissed people off but the long break made it OK for me since most of that time was remembering the dumb controls and aiming feel.

I am going to mainline the shit out of this game and get'er done. I need to start finishing games again.
I mainlined it from there too (I did all the stranger missions but ignored everything else) but you still have quite a ways to go. Just take the game at its own pace rather than being like Dan and trying to fight against it.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I have a feeling biofinite was kinda rushed out the door after a certain point just to get the damn thing finished

iirc from people looking into cut content/old footage way back when, the assumption is the the story was massively reworked in the last six months of development or so
which is why Liz is wearing her "iconic outfit" for only a small portion of the game, or how the 1999 mode just became a hard mode instead of having character classes and permanent upgrade options and such as originally intended

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
so my general advice is that if a tool helps that much, you gotta do the first blow yourself and then finish the job using it to be safe

...to be fair I feel like on that specific fight I just sorta got lucky with the tool timing, but

...oh, also, if you want to know a specific approach that would probably get you through it

I thought I remembered this being the case so I checked my recording of beating it and

if you hide after you kill the guys and lure him out, you can totally get a stealth hit to start things off (this might also need a stealth sugar)
I tried stealthing with sugar but he still saw me, maybe I need to try that again but it felt really the AI is cheating, or just not possible to stalth that miniboss.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone like a code for KOTOR on Xbox? Apparently I got one from watching mixer. First to PM gets it.

Edit: Code gone.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Bioshock Infinite was awesome. It, and Wolfenstein are one of the very few 12+ hour linear first person cinematic shootbangs released this decade.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I tried stealthing with sugar but he still saw me, maybe I need to try that again but it felt really the AI is cheating, or just not possible to stalth that miniboss.

If you lose aggro on a miniboss you can stealth attack them. Once he breaks free, just hide until he gives up and starts walking back up the stairs. Just bear in mind that they regain all healthbars when you lose aggro so you have to fight him fairly for the second bar.

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling biofinite was kinda rushed out the door after a certain point just to get the damn thing finished

iirc from people looking into cut content/old footage way back when, the assumption is the the story was massively reworked in the last six months of development or so
which is why Liz is wearing her "iconic outfit" for only a small portion of the game, or how the 1999 mode just became a hard mode instead of having character classes and permanent upgrade options and such as originally intended

Funny enough, when those E3 Anthem versus Release Anthem videos were coming out, Bioshock Infinite was the first game I was reminded of. From what I remember, Infinite was supposedly rebooted completely at least two or three times during development. It's a shame, the earlier versions looked real interesting and could probably run on today's hardware.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
New Mass Alex. Blissful day.

Did you buy the Firecrackers? They help against the Ogre and every other bosses.

Ogre is probably my second least favorite boss fight. Posture will eventually stay up if you get the healthbar low enough.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock Infinite was boring af, and I'm surprised Dan is a fan of it. It's definitely pretty looking, but I've probably restarted that game 5 times or so because I kept falling off.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been OK with BioInf not being a pure immersive sim and being more of a standard shooter, but it wasn't even a good standard shooter.

By the time it came out, I was really tired of games with two weapon limits, and so many things would've felt like afterthoughts if I didn't know that the game was rebooted 3 times in times or whatever. Like, they kept the gun upgrade system, which does not work with a 2 gun limit (which encourages you to keep switching guns as the situation calls for new ones) and they add all of the Vox guns late enough in the game that I tried not to use them because they never got upgraded. And Elizabeth as a helper/powerup was so poorly done.

Best parts were the intro and any huge arena fight with the sky rails, but those were too few and far between.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Hey at least Burial at Sea 2 sorta tried to get back into the more immersive simmy stuff, as surface as it was. ...And all the other problems people have with the DLC.

At least a fully upgraded Peeping Tom vigor was OP. And the preschool teaching kids not to share was good Rapturey stuff.

Edit: Oh God Alex systematically draining planets of resources and then arbitrarily going "eh, just tired of this one" and leaving it at Moderate is breaking my brain.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Confession time; mass Alex is one of my least favourite series and I love the mass effect games. I have tried to keep watching but I haven't even finished the first season

Status
Not open for further replies.