• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I'm mad at god. I curse him. I denounce him and all he has created.....and then I saw Shenmue 3

Votes: 100 32.7%
  • Pogi Boy Swag

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • We Love Crime And God

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • SAY NOPE TO DOPE!

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • VirginLoser Has Invited You Into Their Apartment

Votes: 97 31.7%
  • Erotic French Fries

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Your Gateway To The Zen Of Gaming

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Remember that her specific genetic code was contained in the space code they got.
Ah, good point. I wonder what it was about her that made them target her. Maybe that she was so open to working with and even empathizing with SAM?
Yup this.
I am pretty sure it was always her, plus when all the multiverse attempts at the end they were all dead Emmas none of the other people.
The slow zoom out where you see all the stations in orbit around Saturn was maybe my favorite moment in the whole game.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ah, good point. I wonder what it was about her that made them target her. Maybe that she was so open to working with and even empathizing with SAM?
Yeah I think possible she was the one that was the most similar amongst all the different versions of the universe, maybe everyone else had made different decisions and her path was the closest to baseline that they wanted her as the most consistent person, but yeah I don't know.
I have been thinking about this game since I beat it.
The slow zoom out where you see all the stations in orbit around Saturn was maybe my favorite moment in the whole game.
Yeah it was so great!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
There's a good Waypoint interview with the director about this - it was done intentionally to kind of fit with the game's theme of nostalgia subversion.

Oooh, I'll check this out when I finish then- thanks for it!

I've never really played text adventures before so I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to other games but for me it was mostly working fine except for a bit near the end of the game where I clearly wanted to do something but couldn't figure out what he wanted me to say exactly... After like 5 min of trying different expressions I looked up a guide and go through it 5 sec later.

It's not like I'm some expert or played a lot myself, but I used to be very interested in IF and its creation; this would be the early 2010s so Twine was starting to get popular but wasn't fully dominating yet. There was a time late in high school where I kept a textbook for/introduction to Inform 7 (the language used for a lot of parser-based IF) in my bag, and I guess I never actually read/did most of the tutorial but I did gain some understanding of how it works. So I was thinking of my very very vague memories of that and wondering how they approached it instead, hah.

My specific issues/stuff I noticed so far was mainly just a lot of problems with synonyms/basic phrasing.

Sometimes it was felt weirdly hard to look at a thing (it was very late last night so maybe I'm already misremembering, but I think even just "look" sometimes fails vs the thankfully loading screen provided "look around"), and it often gave a very lacking description of areas after anyway.

Similarly it sometimes feels restrictive with the verbs used to move around places - also because it doesn't place the adjoining areas in specific directions - so that could sometimes take some tries; sometimes it was best just to default to "leave". It also took me a few minutes to leave the crash site in episode 2 as it took a while to become clear to me that the wreckage was blocking me. Actually, perhaps a better explanation for this frustration is it giving a default error prompt for most things. I feel like other games would more often give you something like a "you can't do this because _". Instead it kinda relies on the (again very brief and sometimes weird to access) results of looking to reveal what's interactable?

Though I'm sure being so rigid made it easier for them to handle specific things separated from traditional "what can I interact with in this scene" logic like stopping the alarm in episode 1, or trying "turn around" near the end of that, and so on. So I totally get why they took that approach, it just can mess with me when I'm expecting it to adhere to certain basic conventions, haha.

I think SU just has a really limited text input thing. It doesn't recognise many terms, misunderstands several, and in general is a very guided experience designed to shepherd you to the end.

It is functional, but is just a conduit for the game to explore other elements.

(quoting out of order but)

Yeah, I said more above about specific cases in the spoiler, but that's kinda the heart of it too.

Since it's trying to guide you/has a very limited scope, it's almost certainly something very specifically looking for certain actions. Compared to using a full set of "verbs and nouns" style rules to it all.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah don't compare stories untold to actual text based games. I spent a ton of time playing those types of games in the eighties and nineties and SU uses it as a mechanic but it's super limited in favour of the story they're trying to tell you.

It's a great plot device but at the end of the day that's all it really is

Though I adore the aesthetic

Oct 27, 2017
I only just noticed that bloodstained is 70aud on the Eshop. Surely I can't be the only one who though this was a $20-30 game?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably in the last chapter of Plague Tale now and the story has taken a (predictable) turn into something I really, really, really don't like.
It's not that it's bad, it's just a type of story I have never liked.
I can't even articulate what it is about this that I don't like, I just don't. It's not that the game executes it badly or anything.
Edit:
I just have always hated the "Little kid gets super powers" trope (?). Hate it. No idea why

Last edited:

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
It was fantastic overall. I did think some of the sci-fi story beats were a little cliche

Such as clones/multiple versions of the crew, a dark entity/spirit 'taking over' the ship, etc
They were not clones, they were the same people from different versions of the universe, they played into the multiverse theory a lot the images you use especially the ones at the end even showed this. They actually stuck to current string theory pretty accurately. It wasn't cliche but just really good hard sci fi though if you are not up on all that stuff it could def be seen as cliche.

Edit: I realize I now sound like this guy: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/292/836/dec.png
I will see myself out now.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I am watching upf and Jeff's anti-Vsync stance even on non Gsync/Freesync monitors is the most offensive thing anyone on this site has said.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am watching upf and Jeff's anti-Vsync stance even on non Gsync/Freesync monitors is the most offensive thing anyone on this site has said.

It sounded like he had a bad experience with a game forcing a double-buffered v-sync. He mentioned something about a game's framerate halfing. Even without that, there are better solutions like Fast Sync that make v-sync almost useless today (on PCs)!

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
It sounded like he had a bad experience with a game forcing a double-buffered v-sync. He mentioned something about a game's framerate halfing. Even without that, there are better solutions like Fast Sync that make v-sync almost useless today (on PCs)!
Adaptive vsync can also be used on consoles.

Fast sync is just Nvidia's branding for it.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
They were not clones, they were the same people from different versions of the universe, they played into the multiverse theory a lot the images you use especially the ones at the end even showed this. They actually stuck to current string theory pretty accurately. It wasn't cliche but just really good hard sci fi though if you are not up on all that stuff it could def be seen as cliche.

Edit: I realize I now sound like this guy: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/292/836/dec.png
I will see myself out now.
Fully aware they were not clones. My point was that "crew sees another version of themselves" is overdone and honestly not that interesting

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adaptive vsync can also be used on consoles.

Fast sync is just Nvidia's branding for it.

Is it? Seems more advanced than adaptive vsync to me!

NVIDIA manages to make this possible by introducing a new additional "Last Rendered Buffer" that sits right between the Front and Back buffer. Initially, the GPU renders a frame into the Back buffer, and then the frame in the Back buffer is immediately moved to the Last Rendered Buffer. After this, the GPU renders the next frame into the back buffer and while this happens, the frame in the last rendered buffer is moved to the front buffer. Now the Last Rendered buffer waits for the next frame, from the back buffer. In the meantime, the Front buffer undergoes the scanning process, and the image is then sent to the monitor. Now, the Last Rendered Buffer sends the frame to the front buffer for scanning and displaying it on the monitor. As a result of this, the game engine is not slowed down as the Back buffer is always available for the GPU to render to, and you don't experience screen tearing as there's always a frame store in the front buffer for the scan, thanks to the inclusion of Last Rendered buffer.

whereas adaptive vsync keeps vsync engaged at the targeted refresh and disengages when the fps goes below the refresh to avoid even harsher dips due to the gpu not having to wait as long for a new frame

I also just realized that fast sync only works when the framerate is above the screens refresh rate which makes it not nearly as useful as sounds. Seems oriented towards competitive games

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I love RDR2's simulation aspect so much. The game does such a good job of immersing you in Arthur's world and his identity, that it always resulted in me roleplaying him in all three of my playthroughs.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah you're right I was thinking of adaptive sync and and adaptive vsync. Not fast sync as I never use it due to:

Fast sync is great for latency but yeah you need to be running at a framerate that is multiples of your refresh rate.

Rtts has a scan line sync that is pretty sweet it lets you have the tear at a certain horizontal line. Thus getting the responsiveness of no vsync and no annoying tearing if you put tear at top or bottom of screen. Consoles will use this method in certain games

But with scanline sync to work properly you don't want to be utilizing more than 60%/70% of your gpu

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're right I was thinking of adaptive sync and and adaptive vsync. Not fast sync as I never use it due to:

Fast sync is great for latency but yeah you need to be running at a framerate that is multiples of your refresh rate.

Rtts has a scan line sync that is pretty sweet it lets you have the tear at a certain horizontal line. Thus getting the responsiveness of no vsync and no annoying tearing if you put tear at top or bottom of screen. Consoles will use this method in certain games

But with scanline sync to work properly you don't want to be utilizing more than 60%/70% of your gpu

Didn't know RTSS had that feature! Will check it out!

Also just started up Plague Tale on my rig and it is eating my GPU up! 90%+ usage at 1440p ultra settings on an RTX 2070 in the very first scene! The CPU is at 15% lmao

Gonna have to play a bit and see if it's just this scene that runs like this. Maybe ultra is too ultra!

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Didn't know RTSS had that feature! Will check it out!

Also just started up Plague Tale on my rig and it is eating my GPU up! 90%+ usage at 1440p ultra settings on an RTX 2070 in the very first scene! The CPU is at 15% lmao

Gonna have to play a bit and see if it's just this scene that runs like this. Maybe ultra is too ultra!
Yeah that game used my 2080ti at 90+% at 4k60 ultra on the first few levels they're the the most graphically intensive in the whole game. It was 60-88% for the rest of the game

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
shoot i got the space jump and screw attack in steamworld dig 2 and then i blasted through the rest of the game in like an hour

well that was fun

time to go see how fast speedruns are

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I miss Ryans laugh. :(

0120_mqoct.gif

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
so uhhhhhh
I think I got Alice killed like really early in the game

and I feel bad

but it also might mean I don't have to do the Kara segments this replay so

I don't feel that bad

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I am using NVIDIA ansel and it accidentally got set that high lol

No wonder why it took so long to take the picture
Oooh. I forgot that was a thing.
I'm pro V-Sync

Screan Tearing is the worst thing that can happen to a game right now
Yeah, I'm playing ACO-2 with it off and the screen tearing destroys part of my soul every time it happens. It's incredibly distracting in a way that an uneven framerate isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.