• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I'm mad at god. I curse him. I denounce him and all he has created.....and then I saw Shenmue 3

Votes: 100 32.7%
  • Pogi Boy Swag

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • We Love Crime And God

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • SAY NOPE TO DOPE!

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • VirginLoser Has Invited You Into Their Apartment

Votes: 97 31.7%
  • Erotic French Fries

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Your Gateway To The Zen Of Gaming

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get the gambling comparison at all. What makes gambling addictive is that it when you are losing money you always feel like you are just one bet away from recouping your loss, so you continuously sink money into it chasing the big win that will dig you out of your hole.

I guess I just don't have much sympathy for the person that becomes addicted to chasing That One Sick Skin.
Lootbox mechanics prey on the exact same parts of the brain that make gambling addictive. Whether there's monetary wins involved or not is irrelevant to how it works psychologically. You should consider yourself lucky that you're maybe not vulnerable to that type of stuff but it works because it's exploitative and it circumvents logical decision-making. It does deserve your sympathy.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
You need to go back and fix the timeline.

Good luck.

Gacha games, and stuff like Farmville (which I'll call "social games"), are much more insidious than that. It's not about one skin, it's about harboring an ecosystem where players feel compelled to have all of the best stuff so they can either compete or just keep up with others. Such games aren't actually designed for average users--they're microtargetting that tiny percentage of players that are psychologically vulnerable to addictive game design. These games are actually lures for whales, which is where (IIRC) the vast majority of their revenue comes from.

It's exploitative and wrong. However you feel about the people participating in playing, the companies involved know exactly what they're doing.

While there's lots of mobile games that work like this (clash of clans, etc.) the more popular gacha games are much more focused on FOMO than needing high tier units to clear content imo. What they do is produce characters you care about and make them very difficult (read: expensive) to obtain but today is a special rate up and it might not be that expensive! And that skin is only available this month, if you don't get it now you might never get it. Oh and here's a free pull to get you started.

Also rate up is a lie, yadda yadda yadda.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering buying a clicker game upfront, upon approaching the end of Time Clickers (the final steam achievement)...

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an expert by any means but from what I've read that part of the gambling that keeps people addicted is not actually winning money. It's the anticipation as the wheels spin. That's also why games have fancy unpacking animations. Basically the time it takes between you hitting "open" and actually seeing what you got is the part that's stimulating the brain.

The reason gambling addiction is a crippling disease is the fact that you will put yourself well into debt hoping that you can win to get yourself out of debt.

Someone spending a lot of money on gambling or lootboxes isn't an issue if they can afford it. That's why I don't get the gambling comparison. Nobody is falling further and further into debt hoping they hit a streak of luck to save them with lootboxes.

Of course they're designed to positively stimulate the brain, all video games are.

EDIT: I'm happy to disagree on this, as I'm aware lots of people are convinced they are gambling. But as someone who was borderline addicted to sports gambling at one point in my life and had to separate myself from it entirely, I just don't see it.

Sep 12, 2018

200w.gif

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason gambling addiction is a crippling disease is the fact that you will put yourself well into debt hoping that you can win to get yourself out of debt.

Someone spending a lot of money on gambling or lootboxes isn't an issue if they can afford it. That's why I don't get the gambling comparison. Nobody is falling further and further into debt hoping they hit a streak of luck to save them with lootboxes.

Of course they're designed to positively stimulate the brain, all video games are.

EDIT: I'm happy to disagree on this, as I'm aware lots of people are convinced they are gambling. But as someone who was borderline addicted to sports gambling at one point in my life and had to separate myself from it entirely, I just don't see it.
You can disagree that it's not like that for you but there is actual research that the problem is closer to gambling than you think https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190501114406.htm

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
You can disagree that it's not like that for you but there is actual research that the problem is closer to gambling than you think

I'm not saying it isn't close to gambling. I'm saying it isn't gambling, and it isn't a problem.

EDIT: For the record I hate lootboxes and wish they would go away completely. I just don't think it needs too be mandated.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, I don't really care if lootboxes get banned/regulated, I'm just sick of the conversation around it, so I don't know why I am actively participating in it. Ignore me.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it isn't close to gambling. I'm saying it isn't gambling, and it isn't a problem.

EDIT: For the record I hate lootboxes and wish they would go away completely. I just don't think it needs too be mandated.
ok so you're just ignoring actual scientific studies to dig your heels in. cool, good to know you're not actually interested in it at all.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I agree that lootboxes and similar mechanics should be age gated

But allow adults to be idiots with their money.

Unless you also want to abolish gambling altogether.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just learned that Maneater is a shark GTA RPG and now I'm suddenly super interested in it.

Whatever twisted mind came up with it, I approve.

Sep 12, 2018
This whole Loot Box/Surprise Mechanics thing reminds me of that Paul F Tompkins bit about him working at a novetly hat store with a guy coming in, pointing to a crown and saying "hey let me see the king hat".

"Oh you can't purchase the King Hat with your Value Papers? Well let me show you to the Go Away Hole."

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of UPF will be Mario Maker 2....can't wait for the Giant Bomb series to return.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just don't have much sympathy for the person that becomes addicted to chasing That One Sick Skin.

the main issue I think is that a lot of gacha games almost explicitly target children without saying that they target children (no whippy i'm not talking about you)

Oct 25, 2017
Is it becoming more than just a storefront or something?
It's doing the Playnite thing where you can link all of your other storefronts to it.
I have linked UPlay/Steam/Battlenet and the Microsoft store to it so far and it really works.

It even shows me the achievments of Gamepass games which, hilariously enough, the Microsoft App doesn't

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
"It's psychologically similar to gambling but isn't gambling" is not an intelligent position

There's lots of things that are psychologically similar to gambling but aren't seen as a big deal.

Gambling has a particularily destructive impact on society, which is why it's as regulated as it is. Opening card packs doesn't, which his why it isn't.

Not saying lootboxes don't need to be looked at (an age restriction is only a matter of time imo). but just because something has similar psychological effects as gambling doesn't make it automatically as dangerous.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted on picking up Steamworld Quest on my Switch... In part because I want to support the devs even tho, technically, the only game of theirs I really liked is Dig 2 but I have a ton of respect for them.
It scratched my Slay the Spire itch enough that I think Incan wait on Slay the Spire until it's on sale in the eShop.

Status
Not open for further replies.