• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• VirginLoser Has Invited You Into Their Apartment

Votes: 67 25.6%
  • All Your Favorite Personalities Will Be Back Soon

Votes: 89 34.0%
  • I Just Shoved My Asshole Into A Bullet

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Here's Some Fucking Spaghetti

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Butter, Milk, Eggs & Dairy

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 52 19.8%
  • It's Time To Go, You Sad Old Bag

Votes: 13 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Megasoum the character on the loading splash page thing in the MW4 alpha is practicing proper trigger discipline so that main screen background is possibly either temporary or an oversight?

It does look goofy though, this one guy perpetually walking forward and looking left and right. Like a character in a horror movie who is being chased down by the killer or something.

Edit: looootta weed emblems and stuff here. A lot of the art is this weird mashup or oldschool hippy stuff and acid rock and intense military fetishism. This has a real fuckin' weird vibe.
Yeah apparently it's already fixed in the latest build.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to love Metroidvania's, but two that really didn't jive with me after getting a ton of love was Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.

Gimme Guacamelee and Yoku's Island Express over either of those two.

I actually really like Hollow Knight, but feel like I'm down on that game because I don't think it is one of the greatest games of all time like some people talk about it. Like I think it is on par with Guacamelee and Ori.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like Hollow Knight, but feel like I'm down on that game because I don't think it is one of the greatest games of all time like some people talk about it. Like I think it is on par with Guacamelee and Ori.
Hollow Knight's better than Guacamelee just by virtue of not having a bunch dated memes in the background.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is it controversial to like Timespinner more than Ori? Because that's where I'm at.

In retrospect, everything about Ori feels manufactured. Like it's very much designed to be An Award-Winning Video Game, in a way that I find kinda offputting. The story is what gets me the most, being this toothless tale with a really weak, open-ended resolution (because An Award-Winning Video Game gets a sequel). The more it tried to impress me the less interested I got.

Timespinner, meanwhile, just felt very satisfying from beginning to end. I love everything about that game, but what was particularly impressive was how much the gameplay and story intertwined. It's so dang imaginative.

I think I'd like Ori more if it was just those escape sequences. That's like the one situation where everything in Ori comes together.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Its the smallest thing but the noise you make when you attack in Ori always completely disrupted the atmosphere for me and I put it down after a couple hours

Hollow Knight is the only souls-like I've ever gotten into (and eventually beat)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, everything about Ori feels manufactured. Like it's very much designed to be An Award-Winning Video Game, in a way that I find kinda offputting. The story is what gets me the most, being this toothless tale with a really weak, open-ended resolution (because An Award-Winning Video Game gets a sequel). The more it tried to impress me the less interested I got.
Ori had enough stuff going for it to not make me feel like it was "The Artist" of Metroidvanias. The movement felt amazing, especially once you got the bounce powerup, and I thought the "make a checkpoint wherever you want by spending resources" was a great idea and I wish more games straight up stole that idea.

The story was pretty toothless, but I never got the impression that it was done to make it award-bait. It reminded me of all of those not-Disney animated movies that were coming out in the early 90s.

Combat was really lackluster, especially compared to Hollow Knight and Guacamelee, but Ori 2 already looks like it has better fights so fingers crossed.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Hollow Knight is a masterpiece in my mind, but I get why it doesn't land with some people, since it's doing a pretty specific thing with its formula. It always kind of annoyed me how weirdly dismissive Ben and Brad are about it, but GB isn't the place I go to for opinions on slow-burn games.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Er... I forgot you could attack in Ori. Always felt really unnatural to use IMO.

Liked what I played of Hollow Knight, but I'd have to be in a very specific mood to play it and I'm not there yet. It's got a really killer style that makes me just want to love it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't finish Ori but I never got how that tear-jerking intro connected to the rest of the game. It definitely has that Made for Awards feeling a bit.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Motion to excommunicate anyone who submits the same question to the Bombcast and Beastcast in the same week.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Metroidvanias, more people should try out Song of the Deep. It's super charming and different from all of the others by virtue of only taking place underwater.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They need a Question Bucket so they can never pull the same one for both 'casts.

The Question Bucket solves all problems.
Speaking of Metroidvanias, more people should try out Song of the Deep. It's super charming and different from all of the others by virtue of only taking place underwater.
Now that it's Sony's Song of the Deep I'm sure it will find a large and lasting appreciation.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's gonna step up to the plate to be up in arms over Dan saying he loves Metroidvanias but dislikes both Ori and Hollow Knight?

Edit: Also, I need to start drinking Metamucil. I thought I was getting enough fibrous foods (dark veggies and beans/legumes) but apparently not. I just went several circles deep into hell on the toilet.
If you wanted a true cleanse, you should have had some Haribo sugar free gummy bears, friend.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to love Metroidvania's, but two that really didn't jive with me after getting a ton of love was Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge.

Gimme Guacamelee and Yoku's Island Express over either of those two.
I bounced off of Yoku's Island Express super hard.

I caved at the end of Hollow Knight when the difficulty overwhelmed me, and I never went back to it.

I enjoyed Axiom Verge, but I felt cold about it at the end.

Guacamelee was fine, but I didn't love exploring the world.

The true uncrowned king is The Mummy Demastered.

The last Metroidvania I fell hard for was probably SteamWorld Dig 2. Now that's a fucking game.

Its the smallest thing but the noise you make when you attack in Ori always completely disrupted the atmosphere for me and I put it down after a couple hours

Hollow Knight is the only souls-like I've ever gotten into (and eventually beat)

Let me also recommend Salt and Sanctuary, which Austin and Patrick also brought up when Austin was raving about Remnant: From the Ashes on a recent Waypoint Radio.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
They could also, you know, check the other podcast? Takes like three minutes to skip through the email section.

Of the people on the crew, Jeff seems to be the only one who cares and I think it's because he actually listens to the Beastcast.

I doubt the crew much cares, it's more just annoying for listeners. The crew is getting questions from it and most likely have different views and conversations anyways so I doubt they really care that much.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need a Question Bucket so they can never pull the same one for both 'casts.

The Question Bucket solves all problems.
They could also, you know, check the other podcast? Takes like three minutes to skip through the email section.

The Question Bucket is literally setting up a shared Google Doc, copying and pasting the question emails into it, and deleting or otherwise marking the question as read once it's been read. It's an easy, low-lift solution to make the listeners' experience better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They need to physically print and serial number all emails, with an East and West copy, drop them in a bucket (one for each Coast) and ritualistically remove them from both buckets as they are read.

It's the only way.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
They need to physically print and serial number all emails, with an East and West copy, drop them in a bucket (one for each Coast) and ritualistically remove them from both buckets as they are read.

It's the only way.

It also needs some dry ice or liquid nitrogen as well as dramatic music and camera angles every time they pick one.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Listening to the Beastcast today - when Vinny was talking about the hockey jerseys, he said something about their old boss wouldn't buy it for them but their new boss would? I thought Jeff was the "boss"? Or are they talking about someone from CBSi?

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jeff and Vinny are equal in terms of rank. Jeff being head of editorial and Vinny of video. It's probably about some higher-up from CBSi.
(Haven't listened yet)

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't finish Ori but I never got how that tear-jerking intro connected to the rest of the game. It definitely has that Made for Awards feeling a bit.

The key is to not give even the slightest fuck about any narrative elements in your platform exploration games.

The game looked gorgeous and the platforming felt right.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think it's meant to establish a motherly relationship from Naru to Ori, and her death to establish the threat the Spirit Tree's demise has on the forest. This has some relevance with regards to the villain and the ending.

Kuro (the owl) destroyed the Spirit Tree in a rage and aimed to prevent Ori from reviving it, since the light it shone looking for Ori is what inadvertently killed her children. When Naru is revived, she goes looking for Ori and finds them about to be killed by Kuro. When Kuro sees her desperately trying to protect Ori, she realises she can't bring herself to kill someone else's child. She then notices the fire spreading to her nest and revives the tree herself to stop it, dying in the process.

Not all of this is explicitly spelled out of course, but I think there were definitely meant to be parallels drawn between Naru and Kuro.

Last edited:

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I see an article or headline about some gaming news probably way less often then the gbeaste... But how do I know more about each need story lol

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The Bombcast was pretty lonely this week but I enjoyed it well enough.

Btw Abby should always host the Beastcast. She does a great job.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
"The baby monkeys are super stupid, they gotta watch their mom do stuff to learn how to do them" -Known dumb man Dan Ryckert

Sep 12, 2018
"The baby monkeys are super stupid, they gotta watch their mom do stuff to learn how to do them" -Known dumb man Dan Ryckert
"It's frustrating being a kid; you have so little control of your world. You have to trust that people are working in your best interest. You have such little agency and no personal experience to inform you. It's amazing to watch my kids try to solve problems, only using the toolset we are helping them build each day." -Vinny

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
"It's frustrating being a kid; you have so little control of your world. You have to trust that people are working in your best interest. You have such little agency and no personal experience to inform you. It's amazing to watch my kids try to solve problems, only using the toolset we are helping them build each day." -Vinny
It was a serious omission that that article didn't mention Vinny's oldest child, Dan Ryckert.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Dan talk about Ancestors left me completely confused, listening to Patrick talk about it told me it's a weird kind of art piece and definitely not for me. I guess I could have also got that from Dan, but I just wasn't listening at all.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Metroidvanias, let's revisit what the expert, Jeremy "T-Frog" Parish, said are the best:

12. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
11. Toki Tori 2
10. The Mummy Demastered
9. The Messenger
8. Iconoclasts
7. La-Mulana 2
6. Chasm
5. Yoku's Island Express
4. Guacamelee
3. Hollow Knight
2. SteamWorld Dig 2
1. Axiom Verge

You know what's missing from that list?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Metroidvanias, let's revisit what the expert, Jeremy "T-Frog" Parish, said:

12. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
11. Toki Tori 2
10. The Mummy Demastered
9. The Messenger
8. Iconoclasts
7. La-Mulana 2
6. Chasm
5. Yoku's Island Express
4. Guacamelee
3. Hollow Knight
2. SteamWorld Dig 2
1. Axiom Verge

You know what's missing from that list?
Timespinner!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I for some reason never thought of Steamworld Dig as a metroidvania for some reason, but that would probably be my favorite on that list actually.

Oct 27, 2017
I for some reason never thought of Steamworld Dig as a metroidvania for some reason, but that would probably be my favorite on that list actually.
I don't really consider either of the games Metroidvanias. They have similar concepts but the execution is completely different IMO. I enjoy both games but what I get out of them is not the same kind of enjoyment I get from playing a metroid game.