• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Okay some dude with '90s hair just came up on stage and bowed like 11 times so I'm back on board for whatever is happening.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
EEP0C1AWsAAwWwz.jpeg

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Oh apparently that dude is a popstar and did a song for the Dragonball Broly movie that just came out?

That's cool I guess. If literally every character in the game is a celebrity that's maybe a statement or something?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
i want to ride with norman while wearing his sunglasses
And slinging back Monster Energy.

Edit: And appreciating my Nendroids.

I know that literally all console games are this but lord, for such an auteur seemingly freed from his old shackles this seems like a really fucking corporate game. Maybe I'll catch flack for this but I guess being enthusiastic about your hackiness is cool now?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Like, I can narrow down my issues with post-MGS3 Kojima to a couple minutes in MGSV:

There's an early bit where you're introduced to the open world with a boring, meandering Troy Baker Ocelot who tells you to Explore The World and dodge the Russians in conflict with the Mujahideen...but there are no Mujahideen. It's just a bunch of outposts several klicks from a border that make no sense for existing and while it feels tremendously good to control almost nothing you do in the game makes any fucking sense.

The resource system is a joke (I'll let Konami take the blame for that), the mobile-esque development system is a mess of timers for no frigging reason, and the characterization of fucking everybody is out the window: Snake, while being a demon, kinda just makes the good dude choice 90% of the time, Ocelot just is kind of rational and doesn't need to be there because he isn't Ocelot 90% of the time, Huey just kind of sucks but nobody admits it until his last scene, and Quiet only made me ashamed of thinking Kojima could be better than that.

Metal Gear Solid V is the best controlling worst game I've ever played.

And hopefully the budget and time made Kojima reign himself in, because I'm worried that DS will be the same.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
From what I saw the game looked pretty boring but I'll buy it because I'm a sucker for zeitgeist and I think it's going to get talked about a lot.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

I've never actually tried it.

What kind of Irishman are you!?

From what I saw the game looked pretty boring but I'll buy it because I'm a sucker for zeitgeist and I think it's going to get talked about a lot.
Dude you know it's gonna be like a quarter wanky Kojima cutscenes. There is no way you will enjoy this.

Though I'm not one to judge; this game could be golden or shit once I touch it but I have to know so I'm gonna get it anyway.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Dude you know it's gonna be like a quarter wanky Kojima cutscenes. There is no way you will enjoy this.

Though I'm not one to judge; this game could be golden or shit once I touch it but I have to know so I'm gonna get it anyway.

MGSV is literally my favourite game of all time, so I wouldn't say there is no way I enjoy it.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have enjoyed every single one of Kojima's game over 20+ years yet I am still terrified Death Stranding is going to suck.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
MGSV is literally my favourite game of all time, so I wouldn't say there is no way I enjoy it.
Given that they just showed a nearly eight-minute cutscene I have a feeling this is going to lean harder into it in a more MGS4 way than a MGSV way.

I love everything shown so far.
Not to pull a Dan but Die-Hardman is an objectively bad name for a character. As was Hot Coldman. As was Skullface. Etc.

Dude needs to reign himself in and stop sucking up his own air so much. MGS2 is probably his peak of relativity and it, despite its insanity, felt constrained compared to what came later.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Not to pull a Dan but Die-Hardman is an objectively bad name for a character. As was Hot Coldman. As was Skullface. Etc.

Dude needs to reign himself in and stop sucking up his own air so much. MGS2 is probably his peak of relativity and it, despite its insanity, felt constrained compared to what came later.

No fuck that.

I want him to crawl up his ass till the point that he can perform colonoscopy on himslf.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've have Dynamite by Mud stuck in my head for a day now. Some of you will know why, others shouldn't look into it for spoiler reasons.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh whatever I don't care about opportunities knick knacks.

I want death stranding to just be Kojima unleashed.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Eh whatever I don't care about opportunities knick knacks.

I want death stranding to just be Kojima unleashed.
Here's the thing though: he was already unleashed between 2006 and 2015. At the latter end he just got constrained by budget and studio clamp but we already got maximum Kojima.

And it was silly and stupid as fuck. And not always in a good way. Who is going to defend the Beauty and the Beast unit over Foxhound or Dead Cell?

Easily, easily, his best work was when he head a collar around his neck, when he had people keeping him in check...when he had constraints. If people want more MGS4 unrestrained Kojima I won't fault them, but I will have no expectation that that will be the best he can do. I, personally, don't want more hour-long cutscenes of rambling, repetitious dialogue. I want him working within confines and being economical with it all. Hopefully this three year-ish cycle for DS is that.

Last edited:

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
yeah the writing will probably be dog shit

but one thing I came away from that demonstration feeling was that the atmosphere seemed phenomenal

shit looked like the san diego parts from blade runner 2049

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing though: he was already unleashed between 2006 and 2015. At the latter end he just got constrained by budget and studio clamp but we already got maximum Kojima.

And it was silly and stupid as fuck. And not always in a good way.

Easily, easily, his best work was when he head a collar around his neck, when he had people keeping him in check...when he had constraints. If people want more MGS4 unrestrained Kojima I won't fault them, but I will have no expectation that that will be the best he can do. I, personally, don't want more hour-long cutscenes of rambling, repetitious dialogue. I want him working within confines and being economical with it all. Hopefully this three year-ish cycle for DS is that.
No but I don't want him to be shackled to MGS. MGS2 is what I consider him to be unleashed. Death Stranding can be a fertile new ground for Kojima to go wild without being tied down by metal gear bullshit.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
yeah the writing will probably be dog shit

but one thing I came away from that demonstration feeling was that the atmosphere seemed phenomenal

shit looked like the san diego parts from blade runner 2049
Big Ideas, Bad Writing?

If that's the box I can put Kojima in I'll be okay with that.

No but I don't want him to be shackled to MGS. MGS2 is what I consider him to be unleashed. Death Stranding can be a fertile new ground for Kojima to go wild without being tied down by metal gear bullshit.
If your hope is MGS2 Kojima after 18 years I'm afraid you are looking in the wrong place. I would fucking love to be mistaken here but I don't think that's the way this is going.

That said I too am very glad he is free to make weird bullshit that isn't the Metal Gear bullshit anymore.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Big Ideas, Bad Writing?

If your hope is MGS2 Kojima after 18 years I'm afraid you are looking in the wrong place. I would fucking love to be mistaken here but I don't think that's the way this is going.

That said I too am very glad he is free to make weird bullshit that isn't the Metal Gear bullshit anymore.

No way man look at how unsubtle he already is with this whole strand connection bullshit. I expect a 90 monologue about how governments use online trolling to create separation at this point.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
my position on the death stranding gameplay - which i skimmed through in about three mins - is that more open world games should let you just stop and bathe in random onsen for a while

that's my kind of power fantasy

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Big Ideas, Bad Writing?

Sure, I think the writing was never his strong suit but imo he's always understood certain nuances of cinema and action blockbuster flare that many game directors don't have, which can then get mistaken as being a great storyteller. Like he really understands tension and suspense but he isn't that great a writer so you get the weird dialogue and nonsensical plot points.

That said, I will say this looks even more incoherent than metal gear so we shall see lol

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I think the writing was never his strong suit but imo he's always understood certain nuances of cinema and action blockbuster flare that many game directors don't have, which can then get mistaken as being a great storyteller. Like he really understands tension and suspense but he isn't that great a writer so you get the weird dialogue and nonsensical plot points.

That said, I will say this looks even more incoherent than metal gear so we shall see lol
Again, I'll say I think he lost that post-MGS3. Like the pacing in 4 and V were horrendous. And even in 3 it was clearly aping a bunch of pre-established norms. At least 2 was early in the "infographic as cutscene" thing.

So in conclusion: Fucking give me whatever you got, Kojima. I wanna see how you succeed and fail. At least you'll take big swings unlike most game directors.

Oct 27, 2017
So in conclusion: Fucking give me whatever you got, Kojima. I wanna see how you succeed and fail. At least you'll take big swings unlike most game directors.
This is where I'm at as well. Even if I don't like some of his games (MGS4) they're always at least memorable. I think MGSV was incredible and one of my favorite games this gen.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Again, I'll say I think he lost that post-MGS3. Like the pacing in 4 and V were horrendous. And even in 3 it was clearly aping a bunch of pre-established norms. At least 2 was early in the "infographic as cutscene" thing.
Oh you're not wrong. 4 and V are messes especially because of the writing and pacing. I guess I meant perhaps, set-pieces? Like to me V's intro and P.T were highs only he could make but as you said, he hasn't done it for a full game since 2 and 3.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This is where I'm at as well. Even if I don't like some of his games (MGS4) they're always at least memorable. I think MGSV was incredible and one of my favorite games this gen.

Gimme hours of fucking going for it, Kojima.

Oh you're not wrong. 4 and V are messes especially because of the writing and pacing. I guess I meant perhaps, set-pieces? Like to me V's intro and P.T were highs only he could make but as you said, he hasn't done it for a full game since 2 and 3.
I am not alone in saying this, but ground zeroes six times over would have been a better game than Metal Gear Solid V. Just six times over of the particular level design and single-camera take. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.