• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked Cloth Map again. Does anyone know what Drew has been up to? Has he been anywhere since Mongolia? And wasn't there a "Yugoslavia" video at some point? Or maybe I'm confusing that with something else.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching Silence of the lambs for the first time in years. And only because the superior Manhunter is not on Netflix.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
this is completely incomprehensible to me. playing a well-written game, going on a story mission, with a podcast on. That's just... something else.

of course if you told me you played shit like borderlands with a podcast on, yeah, sure.

yeah, I'm definitely someone who listens to podcasts a lot during games, but as a rule I never do it when doing story sequences or even just entering a new area in general, cause I want to hear the new music, and so on

...and then I was into the atmosphere enough for Control that I'm pretty sure I actually never put one on even while during lots of side stuff/exploring, hmm

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to a lot of podcasts when I play a game but only
A. if the story in the game doesn't interest me
B. if the soundtrack/sound effects and atmosphere aren't "essential"

So for example I play a lot of Dicey Dungeons while listening to a podcast. But I wouldn't play Control or SWH or even Metro Exodus without the sound on

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm really digging a game's story I would never listen to a podcast while playing. I also would never listen to anything else if I'm watching a movie for the first time.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
weirdly I find the music in Dicey to be part of the fun in a way that means I usually just listen to it... and so the 10+ hours I played like that followed by so much Control in the past week is probably why I'm behind on podcasts, now that I think of it, huh

but kinda zoning out in that way can be nice too, plus in Dicey I've certainly had some runs where I needed to use all of my concentration (and then absolutely fucked it up because I did not just break out a pen and paper; fucking Witch, I got so close to having an absurdly broken turn to survive and then just failed to do the math to make it work on top of messing up the order of spell creation, twice, I was so close, why, anyway)

I ended up playing some during a FatT stream last weekend, though, and had a very good run still

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Do any of you listen to Podcasts at a different speed? I always hear about doing it a 1.5x or something and I think that's nuts.

Same thing with audio books.

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of you listen to Podcasts at a different speed? I always hear about doing it a 1.5x or something and I think that's nuts.

I don't increase the speed, but I do turn on Trim Silence for many podcasts. It adds up surprisingly fast. I have something like 20 hours of trimmed silence over the past few years.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people do it when they're trying to cram a lot of podcasts in, but I cannot live that life. It sounds too bizarre. (Though frankly I could be listening to podcasts while working and just usually don't, so I do have a lot more time than others do for it.)

similarly, the removing silences thing (when applied to every podcast and not specific ones) is weird to me because I would generally trust the person editing them to not put a ton of needless silence in; it feels like that would really mess with stuff like comedic or dramatic timing, or even music, but I guess I'm listening to podcasts where those things exist, hmm

EDIT: ...lol had not seen above post when I hit post, but, yeah

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I live that 1.5x life and it's hard to go back. Your brain adjusts pretty quickly. Turning it off makes everyone sound like they're in slow motion.

Audio books, I don't go much higher than like 1.2x to make sure I don't miss anything.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
About to fall in the Risk of Rain 2 hole again that I only just barely escaped when it launched. Hälp!

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people do it when they're trying to cram a lot of podcasts in, but I cannot live that life. It sounds too bizarre. (Though frankly I could be listening to podcasts while working and just usually don't, so I do have a lot more time than others do for it.)

similarly, the removing silences thing (when applied to every podcast and not specific ones) is weird to me because I would generally trust the person editing them to not put a ton of needless silence in; it feels like that would really mess with stuff like comedic or dramatic timing, or even music, but I guess I'm listening to podcasts where those things exist, hmm

EDIT: ...lol had not seen above post when I hit post, but, yeah
I definitely don't use Trim Silence for everything. I don't use it on the Bombcast, for example. My Law podcasts, on the other hand, don't have any need for comedic timing. It's not just trimming several seconds at a time, mind, but sometimes a half or quarter of a second. You don't even notice it, really. It just makes everyone sound a bit more eloquence at times.

I never trim audiobooks.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried the Modern Warfare beta. Call of Duty continues to very much not be for me. The super low time to kill makes it feel like i'm playing hide and seek: gun edition since whoever sees the other person first wins, feels like there's little room for outplaying like in a Halo or Overwatch. My hunt for a modern multiplayer shooter that can hold my interest long term continues.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried the Modern Warfare beta. Call of Duty continues to very much not be for me. The super low time to kill makes it feel like i'm playing hide and seek: gun edition since whoever sees the other person first wins, feels like there's little room for outplaying like in a Halo or Overwatch. My hunt for a modern multiplayer shooter that can hold my interest long term continues.
Yeah, the TTK is trash in MW. I'm already looking forward to Blops 5.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

I've been searching since SOCOM 2.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

I only listen to audiobooks maybe once or twice a year. Whenever I'm on long drives. I pick goofy stuff to listen to because if I'm sure I'd like it I'd rather read it.

So I usually end up not liking it too much but I'm already half through and there's still nothing else to do on the drive so then I just speed it up. It's not hard to follow still and it ends sooner!

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Work, 2*20min commute everyday and listening while cleaning/doing dishes already makes me run out of interesting podcasts at 1x speed.
Had to start a relisten to the WW1 show on Hardcore History to always have something in the pipeline.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might finally watch Batman:TAS after I'm done with ER....

Where does the two movies (Mask of Phantasm and Mr. Freeze) fit with the show? Anybody knows if I'm supposed to watch them between specific seasons or something?

May 5, 2018
I gotta boot up the Goose Game at some point. But Dang It Fire Emblem is hooking me in hard with its Paralogue Battles.

Also screw Monica for killing Jeralt (my dad) and even divine pulses couldn't stop it. And Leonie is talking up as if she's Jeralt's greatest apprentice and starts bashing me for not appreciating him enough DAYS AFTER I SHED TEARS OVER MY DYING FATHER! But for real that B Support unlocking after Jeralt dying had to be an error because it felt like it took place before his death.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Rorie's idea of watching movies on a second monitor while playing e.g. WoW is so good. I wish I had a dual-monitor setup...

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't use Trim Silence for everything. I don't use it on the Bombcast, for example. My Law podcasts, on the other hand, don't have any need for comedic timing. It's not just trimming several seconds at a time, mind, but sometimes a half or quarter of a second. You don't even notice it, really. It just makes everyone sound a bit more eloquence at times.

I never trim audiobooks.

Ohh, which law podcasts do you listen to? (RIP, First Mondays.)

Also, I tend to switch between 1.5 and 2.0 speed depending on the podcast. At this point, the one podcast I listen to at 1.0 on a consistent basis is the Beastcast.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Rorie's idea of watching movies on a second monitor while playing e.g. WoW is so good. I wish I had a dual-monitor setup...
Giant Bomb has basically been my second screen content for years now.
Yeah I ALWAYS have at least one video on my second screen... Either GB, Youtube or Twitch (I have a GBI Twitch tab opened permanently in Firefox)... I also keep a Twitch stream on mute most of the time on my TV which is on the other side of my main monitor...

I couldn't live without dual monitor nowadays

Oct 25, 2017
Same, it's pretty subtle so I rarely ever notice it
Yep. Very occasionally I'll catch an odd little stutter but it's not often enough to worry about. I found even 1.25x speed to be very distracting. I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually but I don't see the need.
Ohh, which law podcasts do you listen to? (RIP, First Mondays.)

Also, I tend to switch between 1.5 and 2.0 speed depending on the podcast. At this point, the one podcast I listen to at 1.0 on a consistent basis is the Beastcast.
I never miss an episode of Opening Arguments. I've dropped off the other ones for lack of time, but I used to like Mueller She Wrote and Amicus. Are there others I should be listening to?

I can't imagine listening to stuff at 2x speed! I feel like it would trigger my anxiety.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Has any gone through the hassle of changing spam/generic signup email addresses? Between having to open an Epic account to get Control on the PC and while doing that, receiving a two-factor authentication text from EA in Russian, I think it's time to get off the ancient yahoo address I've used since I was a teenager. I've moved all the email that I actually read to my real email address, but I need one for generic signups, and I'm positive my yahoo one has been compromised in one of god knows how many data breaches. But I don't know what to move to that would have some amount of security and longevity.
If your email itself is compromised, just get 2fa and change your password.
I have an ancient aol email I used for years that I just have forward everything to a similar gmail account now

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
You know that feeling when you decide to play a game and it happens to be like the perfect timing to play it?

This is me with Arkham Knight right now... I played it and enjoyed it when it first came out but I kinda randomly decided to play it again recently (I think it was after Joeku mentionned it in here) and I am 200% onboard in it right now... Fuck I love that game and I seriously think that it is my favorite of the trilogy (I've never really played Origin past the first couple of hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.