• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The characters seem fine to me. Seems par for the course for the series. I've enjoyed most of the writing, it's fine. It's getting exhausting hearing everyone's hot takes on how bad the writing is, we get it you don't think it's funny.
That's kinda the thing though: it is par for the course for the series, which is bad 'cause the only Borderlands games that don't have terrible writing are the first one - which mainly just had way less writing than subsequent games, but in a way that made it far more tolerable; they hadn't gone full zany-but-in-a-bad-way yet - and Tales, which is the only Borderlands game with genuinely good writing.

The only Borderlands games I think are actually good are the first one and Tales, so I wish they'd make something more like those.

Nov 3, 2017
Man Borderlands 3 sounds like the most 3/5 game ever.

For what it's worth, BL3 seems like one of those games where there's a bit of a disconnect between critics and general audience. Places like GB and Waypoint seem if not down, at least milquetoast about it. But the game has sold exceedingly well, and appears to have been really well received by consumers.

For me, QLs are a service where if I already know what a game is but want to see some early gameplay I can pull them up and generally get a decent idea of what it looks like. Definitely not the place to go to be informed about a game in the first place though.

I honestly wish they'd move entirely away from QLs trying to be informative and just have them be fun, short-form let's play videos. More stuff like Heave Ho and less stuff like your least favorite QL of choice.

Yeah, I think that's about the best/most QLs have to offer these days. I tend to just watch QLs of games I already like, just to see how the crew reacts to it. Like the Three Houses is one of my favourite recent quick looks since despite Dan not knowing a lot of the intricacies or story of the game, it's fun to see him excitedly playing while Abby and Vinny are being incredulous about all the anime warfare happening

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, BL3 seems like one of those games where there's a bit of a disconnect between critics and general audience. Places like GB and Waypoint seem if not down, at least milquetoast about it. But the game has sold exceedingly well, and appears to have been really well received by consumers.

Sorry to be that person, but I think you mean lukewarm. Milquetoast means something more like cowardly, which I don't think I would say about either GB or Waypoint's critiques!

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
The thing that gets me about their critique about Borderlands 3 specifically is that, I agree overall it's by far not the best the series has to offer and has problems - the writing is the worst its ever been, the jokes are weirdly heavy on the "topical" streamer lingo that makes this game seem dated as fuck already, the menus are laggy, the environment design is messy, in general it feels like a game that should've came out 5 years ago, but what they want it to be instead doesn't sound like "Borderlands at its core, but better" but rather "shared semi-MMO online space where you can customize your armor and just go on missions with friends from a little MMO hub thing but not like Destiny though (but kinda like Destiny though)."

So, I'm in this weird space where I think the game is largely disappointing and not the best it could be, but my vision for what I want the series to be is running in completely the opposite direction because the last thing I want from BL3 is to be an MMO-like shlooter with endless gear treadmills, item levels, raids, and all those baby's-first-MMO Game-as-a-Service trappings, which seems to be their only competing vision even if as critics they've been critiquing the core concept of that kind of game over and over for the last few years. It's some weird video game version of "easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism" thing where you hate the only thing you seem to want but still want it anyway.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
With Puzzle Quest coming out on the Switch today I decided to check out that studio's latest game last night... "Gem of War" on mobile and BOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYY.... That sure is a mobile game....

It actually looks kinda fun and, at first glance, doesn't look like the micro transactions are too bad but that game has SYSTEMS .... Geeeeeezzzzzzz.... There's more menus and sub-menus in that game than in most PC/Console RPGs I have seen... It's a super confusing UI and there's layers on top of layers of stuff.... It's kinda crazy.

Oh also it doesn't appear to work when offline which makes it an instant no-go for me since half of my commute is spent underground without cell signal.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Listening to the Bombcast they're right about Borderlands lacking in any real ambition and the humour falling flat but once the game itself clicks I think it's a really good time. Glad Ben and Jason were at least more enthusiastic about it but Jeff was just depressing to listen to and it really shifted the entire tone of the conversation, Ben wound up practically coming across apologetic for enjoying it.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Said it before, but ever since they stopped doing reviews, their games talk has gotten worse.

The amount of new games that staff members at Giant Bomb have collectively finished this year will be shockingly low. They just don't give a fuck about being critics anymore, yet still try and wear the hat, so there is a direct conflict that comes through on their content that isn't them playing old games.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I feel like it's a combination of a sort of nostalgia they have for the older days of when they did reviews a lot, and their time being shaped at Gamespot, that the staff doesn't want to fully part with the "critic" or "games writer" part of their job, even if it's practically non-existent at this point, but also the fact that maintaining that aspect of the site in their mind is some sort of extra legitimacy that differentiates them from just basically being YouTubers/Twitch streamers even if that's effectively just what they are now (which is fine).

It reminds me of some time in 2013 when Jeff was making a comment about how they don't do shit like "unboxing videos" and literally within months they were doing exactly that with the new consoles and that realization was just kind of barely acknowledged. They are that.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
The characters seem fine to me. Seems par for the course for the series. I've enjoyed most of the writing, it's fine. It's getting exhausting hearing everyone's hot takes on how bad the writing is, we get it you don't think it's funny.
takes aren't really hot anymore seeing as they've been going on for years lol. Funny thing is that the humor is completely subjective. My group of friends all playing borderlands absolutely love the humor and references. That want the cheap laughs to unwind (though hearing their partners watch Bob's burgers or american dad through their mics in party chat should have tipped me off that they'd love this type of humor)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of new games that staff members at Giant Bomb have collectively finished this year will be shockingly low.
GOTY is going to be so weird. Not only because of the low number of games that they've seemingly finished, but also how it seems like most of the staff won't have played a given game when it comes time to talk about it, whereas in previous years you could be damn sure that everyone was going to have at least tried Skyrim or PUBG.

Which games will end up with the most number of staff members that played them? Maybe Control? Maybe Death Stranding? It's going to be an awkward top 10 when games that get in at #4 or 5 haven't been touched by a sizable portion of the staff.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Bombcast they're right about Borderlands lacking in any real ambition and the humour falling flat but once the game itself clicks I think it's a really good time. Glad Ben and Jason were at least more enthusiastic about it but Jeff was just depressing to listen to and it really shifted the entire tone of the conversation, Ben wound up practically coming across apologetic for enjoying it.

that's the gerstmann special :)

it was fucking WEIRD to hear him unabashedly praise control a few weeks ago

GOTY is going to be so weird. Not only because of the low number of games that they've seemingly finished, but also how it seems like most of the staff won't have played a given game when it comes time to talk about it, whereas in previous years you could be damn sure that everyone was going to have at least tried Skyrim or PUBG.

Which games will end up with the most number of people that played them? Maybe Control? Maybe Death Stranding?

this has been a pretty shit year after the banger that was 2018. 2020 is looking to make up for it with some massive releases during those first 6 months.

GB GOTY 2019 is probably between apex and tetris 99. and control i guess. maybe a little re2 remake and death stranding if it hits those styyyyyyyyyyle notes properly

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
takes aren't really hot anymore seeing as they've been going on for years lol. Funny thing is that the humor is completely subjective. My group of friends all playing borderlands absolutely love the humor and references. That want the cheap laughs to unwind (though hearing their partners watch Bob's burgers or american dad through their mics in party chat should have tipped me off that they'd love this type of humor)
Borderlands wishes it were as funny or heartfelt as Bob's Burgers at its best.

(For real tho, I know plenty of people seem to enjoy Borderlands' humour and I don't begrudge them that, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's bad, or could be far better while still appealing to the same people as it does now.)

Sep 12, 2018

CoolPlayfulCrocodileskink-small.gif

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I feel like it's a combination of a sort of nostalgia they have for the older days of when they did reviews a lot, and their time being shaped at Gamespot, that the staff doesn't want to fully part with the "critic" or "games writer" part of their job, even if it's practically non-existent at this point, but also the fact that maintaining that aspect of the site in their mind is some sort of extra legitimacy that differentiates them from just basically being YouTubers/Twitch streamers even if that's effectively just what they are now (which is fine).

It reminds me of some time in 2013 when Jeff was making a comment about how they don't do shit like "unboxing videos" and literally within months they were doing exactly that with the new consoles and that realization was just kind of barely acknowledged. They are that.
Ha yeah I was thinking about this earlier. It's kinda funny that GB has always had a general derision of the streamer/influencer thing but have ended up slowly transitioning into that exact style of content. Which is fine! But I kind of wish they'd fully acknowledge that and stop trying to be critical and just focus on making fun videos, because that's where they're at their best. I think East having embraced that more is part of why their videos are more consistently entertaining (imo).

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
GB Top Three (in no particular order):
Control
Doom
Outer Wilds

Ha yeah I was thinking about this earlier. It's kinda funny that GB has always had a general derision of the streamer/influencer thing but have ended up slowly transitioning into that exact style of content. Which is fine! But I kind of wish they'd fully acknowledge that and stop trying to be critical and just focus on making fun videos, because that's where they're at their best. I think East having embraced that more is part of why their videos are more consistently entertaining (imo).

I really couldn't disagree more, honestly. The fact that GB still act like they came from a press background on, like, a site-culture level, instead of just like every other YouTuber, is crucial to their unique appeal. Besides, it's an intrinsic part of their identity, and I genuinely don't know how they even could move away from it—it colours their goofy fun videos just as much as everything else, because it's simply who they are.

Last edited:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Sayonara Wildhearts devs complaining about signing a bad deal is both unprofessional and pretty funny

So many indie devs will get taken advantage of with these services

May 5, 2018
Yo this fire emblem mission I'm gonna start feels like it's gonna be a terror mission from XCOM.
People in the village of Remire are going crazy and it seems like I need to save those that aren't insane. I'll be simultaneously excited/terrified if a Chryssaid like monster gets revealed at some point.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yo this fire emblem mission I'm gonna start feels like it's gonna be a terror mission from XCOM.
People in the village of Remire are going crazy and it seems like I need to save those that aren't insane. I'll be simultaneously excited/terrified if a Chryssaid like monster gets revealed at some point.
That's the main plot setup of almost every zombie movie and game, heh.

Oct 25, 2017
Their most watched videos in recent years are basically those (like the NES/SNES Classic ones) and press conferene streams aka react videos.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Okay out of curiosity I looked into that Death Stranding thread and... there seems to be already a cult of people who signed up to blindly love the game no matter what? I mean one poster refers to "normal players" as in suggesting "those who don't get it" or what?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They've always been super averse to making the content people want to watch. Endurance Runs being the notable example.

Oct 25, 2017

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Okay out of curiosity I looked into that Death Stranding thread and... there seems to be already a cult of people who signed up to blindly love the game no matter what? I mean one poster refers to "normal players" as in suggesting "those who don't get it" or what?
people got hard into the Kojima can do no Wrong Cult

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I really couldn't disagree more, honestly. The fact that GB still act like they came from a press background on, like, a site-culture level, instead of just like every other YouTuber, is crucial to their unique appeal. Besides, it's an intrinsic part of their identity, and I genuinely don't know how they even could move away from it—it colours their goofy fun videos just as much as everything else, because it's simply who they are.

I would personally love them to play and talk about games on a more critical level more often, but I think the larger point is that, beyond that kind of cultural affectation of being Critics they really dropped any pretense of being functionally different from streamers and YouTubers years ago since by far their most successful aspect of the site at this point is playing videos on stream/goofy gimmick shows/full on let's plays, not to mention just straight up reaction videos. They come from a different place for sure but if the site disintegrated tomorrow and the staff started doing their own independent crowd-funded thing they would just be doing the same kind of videos as they are now.

Years ago I think they had that unique appeal you're talking about - part of what's so unique about the Endurance Run of P4 for example is that Vinny and Jeff are very much not "let's players" or whatever at that point in their lives, they work at a for-real games writing place on a more official level and that extra production value, and their different perspective on the game (in addition to the banter being filled with Jeff talking about going to big review events or even being on TV at the time like X-Play) made it a kind of odd surreal combination. But as production values of YouTube have arguably eclipsed theirs (GB's production value basically peaked with Space Egyptians and the assorted GOTY skits of those days) and they've moved further and further away from even putting thoughts into writing at all, they basically just are gaming YouTubers/streamers now. There was a distinction there a long time ago but basically that's long gone.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

It's a big budget video game is what you saying?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its that rick and morty mentality where some "fans" feel they are able to understand and relate to the show better than most because of their self expressed "high iq", when in reality they are a bunch of wanna be intellectuals who just want something to gate keep. The fact that we have blind kojima fans reffering to people who still need to be sold on that game as normal players ins concerning

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This "at what point did you believe" trend is just the worst. Fucking culty-ass behavior. It's just a piece of media.

is this the handsomest pokemon yet? would you marry him?
EEv7PUOU0AA1J7B
Is this smarmy asshole a Farfetchd evolution? It looks great. I've never seen such self-satisfaction on a Pokemon.

Oct 25, 2017
im trying to not be snarky but it seems to happen to any other game/piece of media, just differing in intensity

Status
Not open for further replies.