• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
The more game review writing in these OTs the better.

We review more games than Giant Bomb does lmao
first time seeing ispoiler

fuck off with that shit, wow that hurts my eyes and brain.

edit: checked options, don't see an optiont o turn that off. well, that sucks. anyways, hope you don't think i'm attacking you personallly. i'm swearing at the feature, not you

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
wow i just got through the upf section where rorie plays that cop game up to jan's story. that's gotta be up there for some of the most awkward, uncomfortable moments where i didn't know if i should laugh or not.

i actually enjoy rorie whenever he's on because of his no-filter tangents, but with his love of the ghost recon games and this recent showing, dude sometimes just exudes that nice white gamer guy with blinders on energy.

glad to know chat during that time was pretty good!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i actually enjoy rorie whenever he's on because of his no-filter tangents, but with his love of the ghost recon games and this recent showing, dude sometimes just exudes that nice white gamer guy with blinders on energy.
oh he is that 100%. he's said some shitty things in the past but he always gets a pass because that's just that no-filter rorie for ya!!!

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brad and Will talking about Eneloops on the podcast. I can confirm they're fantastic. I've used them in my Xbox controllers for years.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I went to Subway after work tonight. Guy comes in and orders behind me. I zone out a bit, and then he says Borderlands 3 and my ears perk up. The guy making his sandwich asks if it's like Grand Theft Auto. The customer then says "No it's a looter shooter." which is something I did not think I'd ever hear spoken aloud in person.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I never miss an episode of Opening Arguments. I've dropped off the other ones for lack of time, but I used to like Mueller She Wrote and Amicus. Are there others I should be listening to?

I can't imagine listening to stuff at 2x speed! I feel like it would trigger my anxiety.

Opening Arguments seems cool! I'll check it out.

I listen to Above the Law, Lawyerist, and Amicus. There's also stuff like I Am The Law, which is great for getting a quick look into various law careers; Justice in America, which looks at the criminal justice system as a whole (lots of shade directed at prosecutors); and More Perfect's first couple of seasons were also good.

Haha, I'm so used to 2x speed now. It's what I do to spend less time listening to news podcasts. :P

On a different note, just finished going through A Link to the Past again. Such a damn fine game. Kind of feel like pulling up the randomizer stream GBEast did now that I'll remember all the stuff Dan was getting so excited about.

Twin Tails

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Subway after work tonight. Guy comes in and orders behind me. I zone out a bit, and then he says Borderlands 3 and my ears perk up. The guy making his sandwich asks if it's like Grand Theft Auto. The customer then says "No it's a looter shooter." which is something I did not think I'd ever hear spoken aloud in person.
why didn't you correct them and say it's actually a shlooter

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Why do ppl think Agent 47, an assassin who gets hired by the rich, is woke lol:

Oct 25, 2017
but the commentary about the excessively wealthy falls flat when the main character is presented, often uncritically, as a tool of the rich and powerful.
The whole thing only works because it is played straight. Every character and NPC is actually serious, but put together it creates an absurd world. Kinda like a Monty Python sketch is making fun of what it is portraying.

Last edited:

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
but the commentary about the excessively wealthy falls flat when the main character is presented, often uncritically, as a tool of the rich and powerful.

I wouldn't say the 2 recent games present that uncritically. While 47 himself doesn't question much, the people surrounding him do.

The story isn't that deep, it's not an in depth critisism of capitalism, but especially in hitman 2 the choice of targets seems deliberate.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a Hitman 3 they have to make a level based on St James Island surely... or a mission to kill high profile pimp for the rich and famous being held in the Manhattan Correctional Facility...

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I wouldn't say the 2 recent games present that uncritically. While 47 himself doesn't question much, the people surrounding him do.

The story isn't that deep, it's not an in depth critisism of capitalism, but especially in hitman 2 the choice of targets seems deliberate.

I'd say only one character questions 47's role in the world and that's only in the beginning of Hitman 2016. The games don't delve that deep into why what 47 does is good/bad (which is fine imo).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say only one character questions 47's role in the world and that's only in the beginning of Hitman 2016. The games don't delve that deep into why what 47 does is good/bad (which is fine imo).

It's been a while but isn't Hitman 2 almost entirely focused on hitting back at their former employer? Unless i completely misunderstood that story.

And the little charactergrowth 47 has in that game is focused on his sense of self/justice. Which is completely warped, but still.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
It's been a while but isn't Hitman 2 is almost entirely focused on hitting back at their former employer? Unless i completely misunderstood that story.

And the little charactergrowth 47 has in that game is focused on his sense of self/justice. Which is completely warped, but still.

Hitman 2 begins with 47 working with the game's version of the Illuminati and ends
with 47 & Diana betraying the Illuminati.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Pitch: A Drew Scanlon feature where Drew has to play the new Nancy Drew game but can only use Dan as a guide.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Hitman 2 begins with 47 working with the game's version of the Illuminati and ends
with 47 & Diana betraying the Illuminati.

right, i filed that under questioning what you do and since the illumanity are all part of the rich and powerful i think it's fair to say the game is a jab against them.

Especially since the game joyfully shows off how shitty they are. The general builds automated war drones, the drug lord exploits the local population, during their big Illumanity meeting they discuss how to exploit climate change economically etc.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
within the bounds of being a hitman hired by rich people to kill other rich people, hitman is pretty woke

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A goose could do everything Agent 47 does, really. Well, except for the shooting, but that's not really a dealbreaker.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Agent 47 isn't really a character. It's more of a vessel for you to see all these evil people and be able to kill them.

The social commentary on those two recent games is pretty clear and on the nose. Rich people are fucking us up. Here is a sandbox to kill them in elaborate ways.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
That's just what they want you to think man. Just because he has a barcode on his head you see him as a product man. Look through the capitalist veil that the MAN has put over us man. He's preventing us from seeing each other as we truly are man.

May 5, 2018
So Game of Thrones won most outstanding drama at the Emmys. As much as I attest to it winning with its final season being lousy for the most part, they probably gave it to GoT simply for being the biggest and most popular show of the decade right? It seemed like they were rewarding the phenomenon more so than the actual craft that went into the season.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
It's all peace love when you've realised that we're all just actors on this play the bourgeois has put on for their entertainment.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
So Game of Thrones won most outstanding drama at the Emmys. As much as I attest to it winning with its final season being lousy for the most part, they probably gave it to GoT simply for being the biggest and most popular show of the decade right? It seemed like they were rewarding the phenomenon more so than the actual craft that went into the season.

So it was an award show?

I gave up on award shows ever since no-one gave an Emmy to Steve Carrel for The Office. Instead the dude from Big Bang Theory won it or something.

I'm just happy when people I enjoy the work off win something but when it comes to "worth" award shows are not a measure of quality.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing new there. Return of the King won the Oscar even though Two Towers was better (though the gap in quality was smaller than earlier GoT and this season).

May 5, 2018
So it was an award show?

I gave up on award shows ever since no-one gave an Emmy to Steve Carrel for The Office. Instead the dude from Big Bang Theory won it or something.

I'm just happy when people I enjoy the work off win something but when it comes to "worth" award shows are not a measure of quality.
Yeah, your Steve Carrell comparison is reminding me of Bob Odenkirk. He was great in Breaking Bad and still is great in Better Call Saul, but I don't think the Emmy's will give him his due.

And true It's nice to see the thing you like or someone involved with that thing win an award. But it shouldn't be a concrete measure of quality

On another Emmy topic, does anyone know what won best animated program?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Catching up on all the content I couldn't watch last week and now on the quick looks. Currently watching the Puzzle Quest one and I start to wonder if the Switch quick looks do good numbers for them. Because the video felt kinda... pointless? 20 minutes of saying "Yeah, it's still Puzzle Quest. Same like 10 years ago. Still enjoyable. Same flaws. But now on Switch!" and I kinda always got a similar vibe from other Switch port quick looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.