• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Do they show a "fast" version of all the moves at the end of a round or whatever in John Wick Hex? Doing everything slow and calculated seems like an okay idea, but there should be a replay of sorts(maybe there is?) of everything chosen at a super fast pace to make it look like the movie

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Do they show a "fast" version of all the moves at the end of a round or whatever in John Wick Hex? Doing everything slow and calculated seems like an okay idea, but there should be a replay of sorts(maybe there is?) of everything chosen at a super fast pace to make it look like the movie

There is a feature like that, but the animation is fucking atrocious. I ended up skipping it for most of my time playing it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

You can watch it back, but unfortunately it doesn't look very good/cool.

I can't fathom why they didn't smooth out the naviation path, instead of having the character literally navigate in straight lines, stopping to reorient at nodes. If they're doing any smoothing, it's too little. I can understand not wanting to put a lot of effort into a thing that is not the gameplay, but.. yeah...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
As soon as I saw the trailer for John Wick Hex I knew it was not going to be for me. There is no way in hell a tactics game is going to convey the sheer kinetic energy of those films. On the other hand, seeing Abby play a bit of SOMA brought back some feelings. SOMA is so good.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Oh no... Is Dan in full "Metro QL" mode for that John Wick QL?

I mean, it's different in that Hex is a rather middling game and not one of the best shooters released in the last 10 years. But yeah, Dan has very much decided he hates the game before they hit record.

I'm also in the camp that a John Wick third person shooter would be fucking boring, but after about 20 minutes I find the action in the movies boring too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
There is, but it looks like an early PS2 sports game trying to make a dynamic TV-like presentation of an exciting goal replay. Noooooot good at all.

Was that ever added to the console versions? Might replay it after finishing AI: The Somnium Cases. If not, I could finally sit down and play Until Dawn as my 'spooky' game.
Once they made the mode official I believe that they patched it I to all versions, yes.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Giving Dan a tactics game to critique feels like a mismatch. Alex and Rorie like John Wick and are surely better placed to take a look?

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
This was absolutely the best way to do that. Shootey action games don't have controls deliberate enough for the kind of intimacy that JW needs. It'd all be half-automated like the latest Splinter Cells' mark & execute stuff, which are closest to that.

22C86ACD6B63855A26DE9D3C5795D626C57E9AC6

5xxpNg.gif

That said JWH does look super janky outside of the actual mechanics. I don't think the vibe really works and trying to tie it together into a cinematic thing at the end of a level doesn't work at all when the animations are that rough.
Yup. Just take that and add an interesting, stylistic world as well as put further emphasis on melee combat.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
haven't watched the john wick hex ql (and probably never will now that i know dan is on it and doesn't like the game!), but yeah, if the presentation isn't on point like it is in the movies, then you done fucked up.

i get abstracting the rapid fire and nigh flawless violence john wick displays in the movies to a tactics-like mechanical structure. i can imagine john approaching fights with that mindset because of how efficient he is at killing, and having it play out in turns can reflect the methodical nature of john dispatching one target after another.

BUT IT HAS TO LOOK GOOD

i can also easily imagine the very limited budget bithell and co got to make this game! having a slick third-person action game with a fast-paced, dynamic combat system was probably out of the question from the beginning.

Neodyn

Mar 23, 2019
Except twitter loves to try and inject tweets from people you don't follow directly into your timeline; that's the whole point of the "top tweets" mode they keep reverting you to against your will.

OTOH (and this is today's twitter pro-tip) you can use lists to partition the accounts you follow and somewhat "opt-in" to what you get exposed to at what time. Want today's terrible news? Open the "news" list, and so on.
Better pro tip: use a client that doesn't show ads or top tweets.

May 5, 2018
Hey, that Killer Queen Black is reviewing fairly well. Too Bad that game seems to require two people to have a Switch and copy of the game each in order to probably do a 4 vs 4 local multiplayer match. Sounds like its still fun online though.

Oct 25, 2017
On iPhone, I just use safari with an ad blocker. Make an icon shortcut too. No point in letting these social media companies access your microphone just to have a dedicated app
On mobile I've used Plume for years. But yeah, I'm really glad phones allow you to block certain permissions.
I've been happily using tweetbot for so long that I couldn't tell you any other current competitors.
I used that years ago and didn't care for it, but using Twitter.com has gotten worse and worse.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I said this earlier in the thread, but John Wick Hex is fun. But the animation is so janky it completely ruins it almost.

The core gameplay is so good. So solid, so fun to play. But they screwed up the most important thing about john wick is that he is fluid and precise.
Watching the replay at the end of the round should be this triumphant awesome moment. Instead it is unwatchable jank.

If you are a strategy game fan it is worth getting on sale someday, because the core is very cool. But boy does the animation let it down

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Concrete Genie looked pretty neat in the Quick Look. Might have sold me on the game and I didn't think it looked great in the marketing footage.

John Wick Hex looks also neat but I don't dig the art style that much. Could make out Ian McShane in the Quick Look but Lance Reddick looked nothing like him. Gameplay looks good imo but the rest might have needed a bit more polish. I wanted to say that it will probably be the first Bithell game that I might skip for more than a bit but then I remembered I also haven't played Volume yet.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I said this earlier in the thread, but John Wick Hex is fun. But the animation is so janky it completely ruins it almost.

The core gameplay is so good. So solid, so fun to play. But they screwed up the most important thing about john wick is that he is fluid and precise.
Watching the replay at the end of the round should be this triumphant awesome moment. Instead it is unwatchable jank.

If you are a strategy game fan it is worth getting on sale someday, because the core is very cool. But boy does the animation let it down

Its downright weird that they didnt just generate a highlight replay, especially since its all on a timeline so they know the exact moments action happens

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I'm so happy that Firefox on mobile supports addons (including ad blockers)
Its what I usually use on my phone, but I like Safari for social media apps for some reason. Firefox doesnt work well with instagram because I fence off Facebook stuff on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Should I send in my quiz to the Beastcast? It's called "Monster Hunter Monster or Razer product".

We got them all: Orochi, Rajang, Basilisk, Fatalis, Ouroboros, Jagras, Vespula, Manticor, Cortos

edit: Several of them are both, I just realised.

May 5, 2018
I'm getting excited for the Spongebob You're Gonna Finish It. I only played the GBA version of Battle for Bikini Bottom and it's very different to the console version (2D platformer). But I know people genuinely like Bikini Bottom as a good 3D platformer. Certainly it's better than DK64 right?

Though it probably won't happen, I'd like to see Abby call in on a separate camera to join in. She seems like the most avid Spongebob fan of Giant Bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.