• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• I Farted Into Heaven

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Old Man Pecker

Votes: 116 43.1%
  • Dinosaurs Aren't Real

Votes: 113 42.0%
  • I AM A STRONG MAN

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • Justin is Having a Sick Wet Dream

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
comment on digital foundry rdr2 pc trailer analysis

" There will be a mod to resize your horse's testicles "

oh no, he's right

May 5, 2018
Also Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games is coming out the same day as Death Stranding. Clearly neither game is competing because their separate console exclusives. How funny would it be if Dan ended up liking Mario and Sonic more than Death Stranding with a reason being like "Mario and Sonic has that skateboarding mini game that's the closest thing to a good Tony Hawk!"

I honestly can't make the conclusion that Dan hates Death Stranding. He could be pulling a prank on the GB community and well, anyone on the internet interested in DS by making these "hints" that he hates it. However the thought of Dan liking a freaking Mario/Sonic Olympic game more than a new Hideo Kojima game is hilarious.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Also Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games is coming out the same day as Death Stranding. Clearly neither game is competing because their separate console exclusives. How funny would it be if Dan ended up liking Mario and Sonic more than Death Stranding with a reason being like "Mario and Sonic has that skateboarding mini game that's the closest thing to a good Tony Hawk!"

I honestly can't make the conclusion that Dan hates Death Stranding. He could be pulling a prank on the GB community and well, anyone on the internet interested in DS by making these "hints" that he hates it. However the thought of Dan liking a freaking Mario/Sonic Olympic game more than a new Hideo Kojima game is hilarious.

he ended up liking the spyro remake more than rdr2 lol

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It'd be worth listening to his full impressions on the podcast, here (this should lead to the specific timestamp, sort of: PocketCasts' timestamp sharing is apparently flaky af):

His intent is much more clear in context, and for what it's worth, I actually came away from listening to this with a substantially more positive impression of the game than I'd had previously. I'm really interested to hear his further thoughts, assuming he sticks with it.
I don't disagree with everything Austin says here but boy does he make the game sound like humorless eye rolling satire, which I think is unfair. A lot of the writing is closer to classic LucasArts in conversation structure, with absurdity and jokes and laugh out loud observations, not just most writing with big words in a cynical, ugly world.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I don't disagree with everything Austin says here but boy does he make the game sound like humorless eye rolling satire, which I think is unfair. A lot of the writing is closer to classic LucasArts in conversation structure, with absurdity and jokes and laugh out loud observations, not just most writing with big words in a cynical, ugly world.
I actually think the game does a pretty solid job of having genuinely human emotion under its black comedy for the most part, though I can understand coming away from the beginning of the game not feeling that because it takes time for the emotional stakes to really unfold.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounded to me like Austin was still collecting his thoughts on Disco Elysium. Sometimes it feels like Waypoint has the opposite problem of the Bombcast, in that they want to talk about a game in depth, but are doing the work to get there live on air, which can also lead to...nothing really.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Sounded to me like Austin was still collecting his thoughts on Disco Elysium. Sometimes it feels like Waypoint has the opposite problem of the Bombcast, in that they want to talk about a game in depth, but are doing the work to get there live on air, which can also lead to...nothing really.
He was. Austin gives his initial impressions but makes clear that he's still early in the game.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I dunno why people think Disco Elysium is some misanthropic game, that's not really the tone it ever strikes.

Yeah, this is the problem with hot taking a game like this. Not that Disco Elysium is very long, it's a 15-20 hour game.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Wait really? I was under the impression it was like 45+ hours. For some reason.

Huh.
The devs sold it as some 60+ hour game, but it's the usual inflated nonsense. I beat it in 16 hours being pretty thorough reading stuff. Most people are finishing it in the 15-25 hour range. Things will differ based on your reading speed, but it's not some epic length game. And for the better, I found its length to be just right.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks. It's been a while since I've encountered such a big discrepancy in dev playtime vs. actual playtime.

I'm OK with that.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
"Austin: I don't know that it's good writing. I know that a lot of words went into it. I know that a lot of effort went into putting together big words and references to the types of things I'm interested in. I know that it is literary in style, but being literary and style does not mean that it is good art. Do you know what I mean?"

Not judging it but sounds so far away from what I'm into.

In the alternative:

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
that written excerpt of austin's initial take on disco elysium makes it sound like he's just totally down on the game, but that didn't seem to be the case for me when i listened to the whole thing. he made it clear he was just a couple of hours in, that he would be playing more of it because a lot of other critics he trusts are raving about it, and that he has enjoyed parts of what he has played. i understand the cynicism regarding, well, the cynicism the game seemingly presents in the opening hours, and how much trust the game asks of the player to go along with the Serious Topics it plays with and interrogates, especially when the devs have touted how long the game is. thankfully(?), that sounds like an exaggeration.

and honestly, i think it's rather interesting hearing people's thoughts on games as they go through it and potentially hear them change their opinions along the way. i don't think austin was giving a "useless hot take" on the game.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
That's really inflating your gameplay time. 15 to 25 compared to the 60+ the dev talk about? Usually it's inflated by a few hours not twice as much.

Also as someone who hasn't seen anything about DS gameplay yet, now I know about some special currency that allows you to build Bridges. Hmmmmm...

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I dunno why people think Disco Elysium is some misanthropic game, that's not really the tone it ever strikes.
I do get being instinctively turned off by the above-it-all sentiment the game exudes at times when it comes to no-win political scenarios and snarky opinion choices, but I also don't think the tone ever loses its way with self-satisfaction and there's enough sincerity wrapped up in the total package to make it all work for me. Esprit de Corps for example doesn't seem essential on the surface but it's often a surprising source of heart whenever it interjects.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having messed around with Xcloud Halo some more, the tech is cool, but no sane person would want to play an fps like Halo on a tablet or phone. It's so hard to navigate around on that tiny screen.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Jeff's take on Death Stranding will be? Everything about says it's not his type of game. But, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.