• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
EI3ai_zVUAANA_m.jpg

Oct 29, 2019
I don't remember any boss fights in control giving me any difficulty or bullshitness.

THe only thing i disliked was that very end in the sattelite room. I was ready to stop dying there.
Same here, I only died 3 times in that game, twice by falling off the edge in the last area and once during the last fight. It's weird to me that so many people were saying it was really difficult.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like learning combat in Death Stranding is trivial killed my interest.

If neither the human opponents or ghosts are interesting, then I doubt just traveling will hold my attention.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished Burgle My Bananas. Fun feature, but if they do something like this again I hope the game is either better or worse, haha.
Getting the coins ended up being the only fun thing to do in that series.

I can't wait for Mass Alex to return. Really excited for them to play ME3.
Are they still doing Bloodstained? I haven't watched that series since I want to play that game myself first.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I think today they do BS. I mean Vinny was out for like a month (I know it was much less) so the hiatus made sense. Sadly, I bet they're gonna be shipped off soon to the West so I doubt Vinny will beat Bloodstained before GOTY.

At least that ensures that Jeff's hatred for Dan will prevent Bloodstained for reaching top 10 on any list! /sarcasm

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Totally on board with Vinny calling out Disco Elysium fans. Good on him
They're taking a leftist game and describing it as a "racist's fantasy". That is pretty upsetting for me and others who've played the game.

There's definitely people being weird about it, but this is not a kingdom come where the game actually is a racist fantasy. This game really isn't. If they criticized the things it was and complained about bouncing off, then whatever.

Don't just call random things racist when you don't like them though. Especially when they're actively engaging is criticism of racists.

Oct 29, 2019
Finally finished Burgle My Bananas. Fun feature, but if they do something like this again I hope the game is either better or worse, haha.
Getting the coins ended up being the only fun thing to do in that series.

I can't wait for Mass Alex to return. Really excited for them to play ME3.
Are they still doing Bloodstained? I haven't watched that series since I want to play that game myself first.
Nothing will be as bad as that game/feature. It could have been a great series if it was either planned or laid out. Spending a solid 25 minutes at the beginning of each video just having Dan yell rules that no one understood killed all interest and momentum. Having to stop playing the game to spend 5 minutes doing a wheel spin that gave out the same few outcomes each time also killed the momentum.

I'll say it over and over again, I don't need some stupid gimmick to enjoy Giant Bomb content, I subbed because I like video games and like hearing people talk about video games while playing them. When Giant Bomb turns into some weird twitch stream with bad costumes and relegating video games to the smallest portion of the video and focusing on everything else but the video game, that's when I really question if I should be giving my money to this product.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for weird stuff, the 80's music discussion was great, but it wasn't a feature and didn't take up the place of anything, it was extra bonus content. Which I loved and I would love to see them do more of that bonus type stuff. I just hope they start up Alexy Quest 3 soon, it's been too long and it needs to come back!

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
I'm flip flopping daily between wanting to play Death Stranding or not. The premise and the visual design is fascinating and I convince myself I'm going to buy it, then I see a GIF of Norman Reedus tripping over a rock and chasing his packages down a river and I'm "oh nah there's no way I'll enjoy that". Very conflicting. Think I will wait until a sale or borrow it from a friend.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Calling it quits on Death Stranding. I don't think I could put myself through 40-50hrs of that. Maybe if it was shorter? Idk. The gameplay loop and exploration aren't fun. The small glimpses of fun are overshadowed by the tedious nature of everything.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will be as bad as that game/feature. It could have been a great series if it was either planned or laid out. Spending a solid 25 minutes at the beginning of each video just having Dan yell rules that no one understood killed all interest and momentum. Having to stop playing the game to spend 5 minutes doing a wheel spin that gave out the same few outcomes each time also killed the momentum.

DK64 has no momentum. THe only fun part of burgle my bannanas was the pointless wheel spinning and rule explaining. Every single second that game was on screen sucked.

Except for the slide episode

ket

Jul 27, 2018
They're taking a leftist game and describing it as a "racist's fantasy". That is pretty upsetting for me and others who've played the game.

There's definitely people being weird about it, but this is not a kingdom come where the game actually is a racist fantasy. This game really isn't. If they criticized the things it was and complained about bouncing off, then whatever.

Don't just call random things racist when you don't like them though. Especially when they're actively engaging is criticism of racists.

Abby said that she didn't like the idea of letting players play as a prejudiced person and didn't like that the game could be catering to that audience.

That's it

benj

Oct 27, 2017
What did Vinny say about Disco Elysium?

If they actually used the term "racist's fantasy" to refer to it, that's immensely disappointing. I don't watch GB stuff for hermeneutics, but I usually expect them to be able to distinguish between critique and uncritical representation

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Abby said that she didn't like the idea of letting players play as a prejudiced person and didn't like that the game could be catering to that audience.

That's it

Disco Elysium is the most liberal game i have ever played.

It isn't like when you choose to become a racist the game is like playing along and thinks that it is super cool. It isn't like "well you could play this as racist fantasy or anti racism, either way is fine!"

The game paints racists as idiots

Which is where i think a lot of the DE quick look hate comes from. That isn't what that game is at all. And i don't even think the game tries to hide its viewpoints. The game is often blatantly about politics and unions. And it clearly has a very very liberal perspective.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I think what's putting me off from Outer Worlds, The is just not being into this world's brand of terms and the flow of dialogue

I'm just kinda not feelin it hearing slogans and Law this, Law that, and stilted breaks between every exchange

Oct 29, 2019
Man, that Need For Speed game looks so bland it's kinda incredible. Just the opening few minutes look like the most generic type of racing game ever made. I wish they would go back to making fun racing games. The last Need For Speed I really liked was Most Wanted (mainly because I got it for free from EA for them butchering SimCity) the weird the cars become sentient and float and create a huge wheel destroying the city was so out of nowhere and made the game feel like it was actually having fun being a game, instead of this self serious "pro underground street racer against the man, man!"

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What did Vinny say about Disco Elysium?

If they actually used the term "racist's fantasy" to refer to it, that's immensely disappointing. I don't watch GB stuff for hermeneutics, but I usually expect them to be able to distinguish between critique and uncritical representation
When actually talking about the game he said he is enjoying it the more he plays and sees what it is going for. He didn't have anything really negative to say about the game itself, just a "shut the fuck up" to the fans.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Disco Elysium is particularly liberal. The picture it paints of its world is deeply Marxist insofar as it's very informed by historical materialism. A huge part of the game's writing and plot is explicitly concerned with how inequalities in material conditions, racism, bigotry, etc. dictate individuals' ideologies, and with how social and cultural situations are the product of conflicts between groups informed by different ideologies.

I think the game treats racism with nuance without engaging in both-sides-ism: It explicitly makes racism out to be a condemnable, ugly worldview, but also takes the effects of racism seriously, and treats it (correctly) as a major motivating force in how many people conceive of the world. I wish more games did that, and it's incredibly frustrating to me that people at GB would confuse the presence of racism for the fulfillment of some "racist fantasy"—not least because Disco Elysium does not equivocate about the implicit and explicit violences that racism represents and produces. I'm disappointed, in general, with how many putatively-lefty games writers seem to decry any treatment of racism in games that's more complex than "racism is bad".

When actually talking about the game he said he is enjoying it the more he plays and sees what it is going for. He didn't have anything really negative to say about the game itself, just a "shut the fuck up" to the fans.
That at least sounds a little more measured, but woof.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
death stranding's setting and premise doesn't even seem that weird or "wacky" or "i don't know what's going on!!! so incredibly weird!!" that people have been saying. i get that kojima has a reputation for being so strange and impossible to understand but his writing really isn't

the afterlife sprung a leak and now there's invisible ghosts and afterlife water that makes you age (and thus die) faster. most people blow up when they die but other special people can swim back to their bodies. now people live in bunkers because of it and to transport stuff you need people (preferably special people) to act as couriers. it's a metaphor for the internet. there's some ancillary stuff about people with ghost powers or babies with ghost powers. there you go. that's it. that shonen manga ass, cheap young adult fiction series ass premise is the whole thing. it just does it with a lot of pauses and and Strange Expository Dialogue and slow pans and shaky cams and people crying to music but that's the whole thing, there's no big mystery

like if there was some YA lit series called TIMEFALL: BOOK 1: ORIGINS starring sam porter bridges as a plucky teen people would be like "okay that's par for the course for this kind of teenage focused high concept sci fi" and move on

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
death stranding's setting and premise doesn't even seem that weird or "wacky" or "i don't know what's going on!!! so incredibly weird!!" that people have been saying. i get that kojima has a reputation for being so strange and impossible to understand but his writing really isn't

the afterlife sprung a leak and now there's invisible ghosts and afterlife water that makes you age (and thus die) faster. most people blow up when they die but other special people can swim back to their bodies. now people live in bunkers because of it and to transport stuff you need people (preferably special people) to act as couriers. it's a metaphor for the internet. there's some ancillary stuff about people with ghost powers or babies with ghost powers. there you go. that's it. that shonen manga ass, cheap young adult fiction series ass premise is the whole thing. it just does it with a lot of pauses and and Strange Expository Dialogue and slow pans and shaky cams and people crying to music but that's the whole thing, there's no big mystery

like if there was some YA lit series called TIMEFALL: BOOK 1: ORIGINS starring sam porter bridges as a plucky teen people would be like "okay that's par for the course for this kind of teenage focused high concept sci fi" and move on

So it's Final Fantasy Spirits Within? Alright I'm back in.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

yep

it was the obfuscation of what the game actually was + strong imagery that really sold this game initially, lay it all out and it's actually not that weird

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017

That's it
Nah. She said she didn't have any interest in a game that catered to that audience. Which Disco does not do, quite the opposite in fact.

She had a very surface level and straight up wrong read on the game and wrote it off. Not gonna talk about it again I guess but that's what happened.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Dan mentioned during the Vinnyvania stream that he was writing down ideas during a staff meeting.

Burgle My Bananas 2 confirmed

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I'm just gonna suggest to drop it. Shit must be REAL BAD, when Vinny appears on GB's reddit thread to post the following:

Juuuuust a quick reminder for this thread as I've seen it discussed here already. I am actually enjoying Disco Elysium quite a bit the further I get, as I said this week, but I think the "Of course they don't get it. They wouldn't" and/or making personal attacks on staff members for not enjoying it is too much. There are a lot of pretentious airs about why someone might not "get it" that I also think are nonsense and ignore, what I also think, are valid criticisms. It makes even talking about the game a chore.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

almost everything about the game comes off not too different than any other game, i think -- aside from bad character naming. the dead are coming back, america is fucked, get the wi-fi going again, it's all pretty straightforward. the thing that gets me, and what was there from the start, and has been integral to the promotion of the game, are the jar babies that don't get acknowledged as more than equipment. that's always been where i just kinda roll my eyes.

had those never been a thing i feel like i could actually take the game with a modicum of seriousness.

Oct 27, 2017
the literal worst thing about this community and.... any community that follows people who talk about stuff for a living is, they have a real hard time understanding that opinions aren't always fully formed immediately when you try something. she could have gotten a read of the game based on her limited experience. in most cases that might be it, or maybe after talking about it with some colleagues she may have revisited it, or not. since they have to talk about stuff every week, for hours we get to hear opinions that sometimes maybe aren't fully informed. there's nothing malicious in that, necessarily. so intead of trying to fucking crucify someone maybe do what vinny suggests and shut the fuck up?

Status
Not open for further replies.