• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
death stranding's setting and premise doesn't even seem that weird or "wacky" or "i don't know what's going on!!! so incredibly weird!!" that people have been saying. i get that kojima has a reputation for being so strange and impossible to understand but his writing really isn't

the afterlife sprung a leak and now there's invisible ghosts and afterlife water that makes you age (and thus die) faster. most people blow up when they die but other special people can swim back to their bodies. now people live in bunkers because of it and to transport stuff you need people (preferably special people) to act as couriers. it's a metaphor for the internet. there's some ancillary stuff about people with ghost powers or babies with ghost powers. there you go. that's it. that shonen manga ass, cheap young adult fiction series ass premise is the whole thing. it just does it with a lot of pauses and and Strange Expository Dialogue and slow pans and shaky cams and people crying to music but that's the whole thing, there's no big mystery

like if there was some YA lit series called TIMEFALL: BOOK 1: ORIGINS starring sam porter bridges as a plucky teen people would be like "okay that's par for the course for this kind of teenage focused high concept sci fi" and move on
This is funny because I was watching the QL with my partner and she turned to me and said "this is basically just a YA premise" and yeah. It's that but with Kojima Sauce. I think the premise and aesthetic is kinda cool but the leaden dialogue and clumsy metaphors kind of kill my interest.

Sep 12, 2018
I love Vinny during Bloodstained, he has the vibe of a man being shown video games for the first time and he's simultaneously intrigued/amused and done with it.

Oct 27, 2017
This is funny because I was watching the QL with my partner and she turned to me and said "this is basically just a YA premise" and yeah. It's that but with Kojima Sauce. I think the premise and aesthetic is kinda cool but the leaden dialogue and clumsy metaphors kind of kill my interest.

my partner is actually writing a book about weird ground ghosts and floating islands so it was weird seeing death stranding be....that

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
almost everything about the game comes off not too different than any other game, i think -- aside from bad character naming. the dead are coming back, america is fucked, get the wi-fi going again, it's all pretty straightforward. the thing that gets me, and what was there from the start, and has been integral to the promotion of the game, are the jar babies that don't get acknowledged as more than equipment. that's always been where i just kinda roll my eyes.

had those never been a thing i feel like i could actually take the game with a modicum of seriousness.

I blame Kojima for trying to hype up his game as a "new genre" and "you'll hate it until halfway through". If he had just said it was a 3rd person survival game with stealth elements and asynchronous multiplayer components I think the backlash would've been tempered.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I blame Kojima for trying to hype up his game as a "new genre" and "you'll hate it until halfway through". If he had just said it was a 3rd person survival game with stealth elements and asynchronous multiplayer components I think the backlash would've been tempered.
thats a pretty bad description of the game though

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I often wonder how much of that was just poor translation.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you whoever took my idea for Stand by R.E.M. and told the crew. I couldn't watch this live so bless up.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
the literal worst thing about this community and.... any community that follows people who talk about stuff for a living is, they have a real hard time understanding that opinions aren't always fully formed immediately when you try something. she could have gotten a read of the game based on her limited experience. in most cases that might be it, or maybe after talking about it with some colleagues she may have revisited it, or not. since they have to talk about stuff every week, for hours we get to hear opinions that sometimes maybe aren't fully informed. there's nothing malicious in that, necessarily. so intead of trying to fucking crucify someone maybe do what vinny suggests and shut the fuck up?
Vinny didn't say to "shut the fuck up."

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Then move on we shall. People shouldn't send hate their way, doubly so towards Abby. For me, it's hard to see a game that finally got this stuff right to be criticized for it, but I should try and collect those thoughts and write something more expansive and less reactionary. I suppose I'd encourage others to do the same. By writing about how Disco got so much about tackling race and gender right, we make a much more convincing argument than responding to people who've already passed on the game.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Sure, but you gotta reduce your game to at least some elements that players recognize, or else you risk describing it with a flowery adjectives and non-game language that'll just come off as pretentious. Which is exactly what happened with Death Stranding.
Sony exclusives marketing in a nutshell lmao

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Not wading into this, but he very literally said exactly that.
When you make a post about something, yes, you are 'wading into' it.

And I didn't know that! I thought that Reddit post is all people were referring to. I'm sure there's been much more noxious pushback on Abby's statements than I've seen, so I guess it isn't surprising. Was that directed at people making personal attacks on Abby?

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
When you make a post about something, yes, you are 'wading into' it.

And I didn't know that! I thought that Reddit post is all people were referring to. I'm sure there's been much more noxious pushback on Abby's statements than I've seen, so I guess it isn't surprising. Was that directed at people making personal attacks on Abby?

It was on the Beastcast today, he said it to "the fans of the game" who are being rude. They have been getting a bunch of personal attacks it sounds like.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Disco Elysium is a good game.

It really is. Glad to see some level headed reviews popping up on other big sites like Kotaku and Polygon. When they brought it up last week I couldn't even tell what they were talking about. It was like they tried to play it while doing three other things at the same time. I get people not sharing the same opinions on something, and no one should be harassed for their take, but it just seemed like something they could have passed on bringing up.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
It was on the Beastcast today, he said it to "the fans of the game" who are being rude. They have been getting a bunch of personal attacks it sounds like.

Yeah, that stinks.

While I really don't think people should be making personal attacks on Abby for her statements, I think the idea (expressed in this thread, not by Vinny that I've seen) that it should be verboten to express disappointment with DE's reception at sites like GB is pretty silly. Sure, maybe it was a partly-formed opinion. No, it isn't indicate of how all of GB feels. Even so, games journalists and players are constantly bemoaning how little nuance or political engagement can be found in most games—largely justifiably so, I think! In light of that, it's frustrating to see a game that very much gets it right getting accused of bigotry (as at GB) or nihilism and pretension (as at Waypoint).

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can I play Disco Elysium in a handheld like fashion or without a gaming PC. Actually this question is more why did Nvidia stop making the Nvidia Shield Portable.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, that stinks.

While I really don't think people should be making personal attacks on Abby for her statements, I think the idea (expressed in this thread, not by Vinny that I've seen) that it should be verboten to express disappointment with DE's reception at sites like GB is pretty silly. Sure, maybe it was a partly-formed opinion. No, it isn't indicate of how all of GB feels. Even so, games journalists and players are constantly bemoaning how little nuance or political engagement can be found in most games—largely justifiably so, I think! In light of that, it's frustrating to see a game that very much gets it right getting accused of bigotry (as at GB) or nihilism and pretension (as at Waypoint).
I think you nail it here. It can't be expected for GB to cover the game perfectly, but its hurtful to accuse a game of being its antithesis and that makes people emotional.

Again though I think the solution is to drop it and just continue writing about how much DE nails it. Seriously if you didn't check it out cause you thought it was a hurtful and problematic game, you should really check it out cause it's not that.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
death stranding's setting and premise doesn't even seem that weird or "wacky" or "i don't know what's going on!!! so incredibly weird!!" that people have been saying. i get that kojima has a reputation for being so strange and impossible to understand but his writing really isn't

the afterlife sprung a leak and now there's invisible ghosts and afterlife water that makes you age (and thus die) faster. most people blow up when they die but other special people can swim back to their bodies. now people live in bunkers because of it and to transport stuff you need people (preferably special people) to act as couriers. it's a metaphor for the internet. there's some ancillary stuff about people with ghost powers or babies with ghost powers. there you go. that's it. that shonen manga ass, cheap young adult fiction series ass premise is the whole thing. it just does it with a lot of pauses and and Strange Expository Dialogue and slow pans and shaky cams and people crying to music but that's the whole thing, there's no big mystery

like if there was some YA lit series called TIMEFALL: BOOK 1: ORIGINS starring sam porter bridges as a plucky teen people would be like "okay that's par for the course for this kind of teenage focused high concept sci fi" and move on

I think that's a great write up. I also don't think the weird ideas have to be explored in an YA beating you over the head with blatant over-explained metaphors kind of way.

After hearing about the premise I couldn't help but think of the 2001 Kiyoshi Kurosawa film Pulse. It deals with the idea that there's no room left in the afterlife so ghosts begin to bleed over into the living world, whilst the human characters fall victim to becoming totally isolated without having any genuine connections in their harrowing time due to the cultural effects of the way Japanese society developed and an increasing reliance on technology in our personal lives. It's an amazing horror film and explored the themes without treating the audience like children 20 years ago.

Then two decades later Kojima references the US/Brexit being big influences for DS whilst it seemingly has nothing to say about immigration, race, and xenophobia. Instead it just throws a bunch a sci-fi concepts together to tell a simple story of us needing to become closer.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I think you nail it here. It can't be expected for GB to cover the game perfectly, but its hurtful to accuse a game of being its antithesis and that makes people emotional.

This is something Abby and Dan need to work on for QLs imo. They both make snap judgements based on early gameplay and then write the game off and talk about it very dismissively. For Dan, it's tedium or anything he considers boring, and for Abby, it's anything she feels could be problematic.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Death Stranding. In the last cutscene I watched Lindsey Wagner just explained all the different meanings of the word "strand".

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying Death Stranding. In the last cutscene I watched Lindsey Wagner just explained all the different meanings of the word "strand".
I'm a little ways past and everything with that character is needlessly melodramatic.

Actually on a related note my biggest beef with the game by far is that Norman Reedus isn't very good. Whenever he raises his voice above a gruff mumble he just loses what little weight is carried by his frequent silence. He's not a leading man type. There's a reason they cast him as Vegeta in The Walking Dead.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to get into some real Post-Beatles shit, I will start sharing solo tracks by Ringo Starr

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, Abby enjoys wrestling when shit breaks down and they just have to improv and that improv ends up with the the (evil) CEO of the company tearing both his hamstrings.

Status
Not open for further replies.