• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumors about amount of story content are true ehhhhh
I've seen some of the stuff, and it seems more full and interesting than XY or Sun and Moon ever did.
1) those are massive cuts
2) I disagree, a game that sells as well as Pokémon does should not release in such a sad state

and considering GF really only does patches for critical bugs it'll probably be that way until they sell the "fixed" version next year for another $60
They are massive cuts, and I don't blame people for being angry about them, but they've led to a feeding frenzy where every single sub-par angle or little technical quirk is being held up as a horrendous embarassment, and that's just not consistent with what I've seen. This isn't some WWE-style technical catastrophe, this is a traditionally-handheld developer's first original HD game, and looks it.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
People being mad at game companies reusing models/animations will always be funny.
every game fucking does it. You would too if you were a developer.

I mean yeah, using it as an excuse for the number of pokemon is dumb.
But i have seen gifs comparing npc reactions to past games. And that is the price you pay when you have to pump out games with such frequency

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People being mad at game companies reusing models/animations will always be funny.

They only have themselves to blame by lying, but the lie was made at the point where they were being fucking hammered on all sides for the decision- absolutely nothing they said could have calmed people down.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
They only have themselves to blame by lying, but the lie was made at the point where they were being fucking hammered on all sides for the decision- absolutely nothing they said could have calmed people down.
Yeah, corporations should lie when they're backed into a corner due to their own mismanagement 🙄

Gamefreak is a massively profitable company. They don't need an unpaid defense force.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, corporations should lie when they're backed into a corner due to their own mismanagement 🙄

Gamefreak is a massively profitable company. They don't need an unpaid defense force.
Didn't say that, but go off I guess.

Game Freak have brought a gang of shit upon themselves. I don't see the need to contribute.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

But i have seen gifs comparing npc reactions to past games. And that is the price you pay when you have to pump out games with such frequency
asset creation is honestly such a waste of resources

movies don't build every tiny thing from scratch, there are warehouses full of goofy props and anything else can just be bought out of a store

i dont know why people get mad at asset reuse, it's a chair who cares. why creating whole things from scratch every game became the norm ill never understand

but at this point they've got the pipelines so if they switch now thousands of artists will be out of a job probably

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Okay in Outer Wilds I have now figured out Quantum Entanglement. That's really cool but I'm not yet sure where else to apply it, since you need complete darkness for it to work so not that much outside of Ember Twin's cave is even suitable for it. Maybe something in Brittle Rock, I dunno. Speaking of, I also got inside that observation dome on the south pole and that diorama showing the Eye of the Universe (assuming that's what that explosiony-looking symbol represents) teleporting around the distant reaches of the system was super cool.

Also I really enjoy the peace that comes along with sitting in a place after exploring it thoroughly, knowing I don't really have time to do anything else, and waiting for my death while the tunes just linger around me. I got onto the Sun Station and after getting through all the information there, saw the thing that said I had about 45 seconds to live, so I just turned to face the Sun at watched the end come in silence. It was very serene.

So thanks again Jubbe and Tharp for reminding me to get back into this. I'm head over heels and will be getting back in once I'm home this evening, as much as I don't want this to be over.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
asset creation is honestly such a waste of resources

movies don't build every tiny thing from scratch, there are warehouses full of goofy props and anything else can just be bought out of a store

i dont know why people get mad at asset reuse, it's a chair who cares. why creating whole things from scratch every game became the norm ill never understand

but at this point they've got the pipelines so if they switch now thousands of artists will be out of a job probably
They've been using the same Pokémon models since X/Y. Again, the only reason anyone cares about this is due to the lying. I haven't really seen GF take much shit for reusing them previously.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The ba mashed potatoes are amazing, but their need to push the crispy potatoes for Thanksgiving on "regular" people seems almost snooty. They know their food for sure, it just comes off as bad imho.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay in Outer Wilds I have now figured out Quantum Entanglement. That's really cool but I'm not yet sure where else to apply it, since you need complete darkness for it to work so not that much outside of Ember Twin's cave is even suitable for it. Maybe something in Brittle Rock, I dunno. Speaking of, I also got inside that observation dome on the south pole and that diorama showing the Eye of the Universe (assuming that's what that explosiony-looking symbol represents) teleporting around the distant reaches of the system was super cool.

Also I really enjoy the peace that comes along with sitting in a place after exploring it thoroughly, knowing I don't really have time to do anything else, and waiting for my death while the tunes just linger around me. I got onto the Sun Station and after getting through all the information there, saw the thing that said I had about 45 seconds to live, so I just turned to face the Sun at watched the end come in silence. It was very serene.

So thanks again Jubbe and Tharp for reminding me to get back into this. I'm head over heels and will be getting back in once I'm home this evening, as much as I don't want this to be over.

I'm glad you got back into it. It's an exceptional game. It's crazy how satisfying progressing and learning in it can be despite the fact that it's just knowledge. Slowly creating those threads and understanding how things tie together is wonderful. Can't stop thinking about it, I love Outer Wilds so much.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I always feel like Brad and Jeff are on the verge of denouncing the all-digital all-live-service gaming landscape we are heading to but are reluctant to admit it because they don't want to be the old men yelling at clouds.

I have no fear of that being 25.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you never had good mashed potatoes then
It's not about the mash, it's about what you do with it. It's like having pasta without a sauce.
You're probably both right, I've had mashed potatoes like maaaaaybe a dozen times in my life and every time i was bored to tears after 3 bites because there was nothing else going on with it.

Maybe try and eat good mashed potatoes.

Don't tell me how to live my life!!!

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I considered making a thread over in Gaming based on that portion of Bombcast but the Pokémon reviews have that place up in flames enough as is.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad you got back into it. It's an exceptional game. It's crazy how satisfying progressing and learning in it can be despite the fact that it's just knowledge. Slowly creating those threads and understanding how things tie together is wonderful. Can't stop thinking about it, I love Outer Wilds so much.
The latest Waypoint podcast has a brief discussion about how emotional Outer Wilds is. I didn't expect that from the game and I think that is what really puts it over the top for me. It's so good. I have not felt like I did during that ending core sequence and the end itself playing any other game really. I'm so cynical when it comes to games writing and storytelling too, like Outer Worlds is so ham-handed it actively pushed me away. Don't get me started on Death Stranding...

Last edited:

_bemusedchunk

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
North of Boston
You're not wrong, but pasta is infinitely more boring than a good mash. Mashed potatoes are starch + fat + salt. Like creamy potatochips :-p

You probably have a palette thats not sophisticated enough to understand the nuances and subtle undertones of some simple home made pasta and evoo with some herbs and some barely-burst grape tomatoes.

Or you can just drown it in ketchup or whatever you folks do.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying Death Stranding. It's a fascinating thing, it also looks and sounds great. I think it will make my Top this year (I guess I have like 5 games there, now?).

I love just transporting stuff around and helping people finish their bridges or other equipment. It's also great to see people finding your own stuff useful. I'm still on chapter 3, I think. Just got a mission to
get rid of a bomb

At the same time, i'm prepared for the game to turn to shit later on.

Outside of Shenmue 3 and maybe Star Wars, and then Children of Morta on the Switch, I don't think i'll be playing anything else this year.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... that IGN Pokemon video review starts off with the reviewer saying it's the best Pokémon game she's ever played (and she's played them all).

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon might be the only game where the fans have meltdowns over the review scores being too high.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been on the fence about Sword and Shield, but if reports are right that it's more streamlined and easier than Let's Go, I'll give it a miss for now and maybe pick it up later if it gets an expanded version.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Everyone replying seriously to this tweet needs to be jettisoned into the sun.
The Grinch socks really makes it. Internet culture, specifically around games is so bad.

I havent been to IGN's website in years, the design now is so simple and fluid unlike their old site

Status
Not open for further replies.