• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing their youtube page and I don't see how they post way more stuff. Seems about the same if anything, unless they keep a majority of it on their patreon page. And even then they seem to post small trailers for each one?

May 5, 2018
It probably has already been established, but this is Patrick, right?

sZsIBAF.png
If that's Patrick then he's got some explaining to do getting Orcas from the Russians and vandalizing whale watch boats.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of toxic holes

so I've been playing this the past few nights but did not want to invite more discussion into this thread to avoid spoilers

largely loving it but fuck that black hole on Brittle

so many times I accidentally fell, warped back, did something foolish and either fucking died or went right back in the hole

kept falling into the hole due to messing up launching up off the gravity walls

finally got to the southern observatory, walked outside, accidentally fell in the fucking hole when trying to get back in; took me forever to successfully get there again

I've moved on to other places but I'll need to go back soon...

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing their youtube page and I don't see how they post way more stuff. Seems about the same if anything, unless they keep a majority of it on their patreon page. And even then they seem to post small trailers for each one?

They have a second channel called Easy Allies Plays, which is an archive of their twitch streams and has a whole lot more content. I consider it equivalent to Giant Bomb shows since it's a lot of live group streams with them in a studio talking over a game, rather than edited content.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Got a new laptop coming today (not gaming or anything) but boy does it beat the pants off my current (7 year old) one. Finally, a processor good enough to run Giant Bomb videos in HD again.

I always get excited to fuck around with new technology.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing is when people Online who do not do a job decide that they know exactly what goes into doing a job and how long it should take

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
They have a second channel called Easy Allies Plays, which is an archive of their twitch streams and has a whole lot more content. I consider it equivalent to Giant Bomb shows since it's a lot of live group streams with them in a studio talking over a game, rather than edited content.

Ah ok. I saw that kinda funny had a same deal with a 2nd channel that is mostly pop culture stuff.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
I feel like it gives off the feeling of poor planning when there is a week like this? for me I can feel frustrated at times because a lot feels the same from a couple of years ago when they were fewer people or the same at a coast and the output is the same or less, and in some regards it's stale content in my opinion..

Podcast + unprofessional friday, week after week during some periods doesn't always feel great from West. but I'm also in the boat where I don't really care about quick looks, so that one is partly on me I guess?

I've had these types of discussions with my partner cause we talk through what we should keep and not. and yeah it gets a bit strange cause part of me is like. "I really like these goof balls and want to support their stuff" but there is still money being spent, so for some people there will have to be some more thinking going on.
Am I getting my moneys worth? should I skip a month? how was these last two months will this one be different? etc.

Anyway, I don't think criticism or discussions should be flat out shut down, of course some of it is a little out there. I think it's quite natural to have these questions when there is a monetary exchange going on be it patreon or a subscription like giant bomb.
You could say it even invites that type of discussion in a way, it's important to not let it get out of hand and into the nasty and personal attack territory.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also looking at some of the bigger channels I don't really watch like videogamedunkey and angryjoe and they don't put out as much as people are saying.

Though do the have a twitch schedule as well?

See the problem is most gaming channels are fucking bad. And full of problematic people. My youtube feed doesn't even give me gaming video suggestions lol.

I'd rather a nice and sane schedule with no toxic fuckholes, which is a wonder why I even hang around here.
You could just unsubscribe.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Also let's actually do some research here. So let's count from the last Best of that allowed them to accumulate a week of content, so not the last one but the 2nd last one. It also avoids the weird time where they all go on holiday for thanksgiving and onto the GOTY stuff. From Nov 16-23, let's see their output.

You can not like their content, but if the complaint is volume? This isn't counting the podcasts that aren't posted in video form.

12Ccd3f.png

gJuO538.png

AmTA3m1.png

Vix5jzp.png

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that worries me about a Giant Bomb content drought around this time is that means the GOTY casts are probably going to be unbearably long again when they should be trying to get them shorter.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it gives off the feeling of poor planning when there is a week like this? for me I can feel frustrated at times because a lot feels the same from a couple of years ago when they were fewer people or the same at a coast and the output is the same or less, and in some regards it's stale content in my opinion..

Podcast + unprofessional friday, week after week during some periods doesn't always feel great from West. but I'm also in the boat where I don't really care about quick looks, so that one is partly on me I guess?

I've had these types of discussions with my partner cause we talk through what we should keep and not. and yeah it gets a bit strange cause part of me is like. "I really like these goof balls and want to support their stuff" but there is still money being spent, so for some people there will have to be some more thinking going on.
Am I getting my moneys worth? should I skip a month? how was these last two months will this one be different? etc.

Anyway, I don't think criticism or discussions should be flat out shut down, of course some of it is a little out there. I think it's quite natural to have these questions when there is a monetary exchange going on be it patreon or a subscription like giant bomb.
You could say it even invites that type of discussion in a way, it's important to not let it get out of hand and into the nasty and personal attack territory.

Not in this thread buddy; no discussion can be had here because you should just unsubscribe.

Anyway, a content schedule would be nice; especially from West. East does a pretty good job of it, Wednesday Stream, Friday Stream and sometimes Monday/Tuesday pre-recorded feature; that's more than enough content especially when they throw Quicklooks in.
You don't quite have the same structure on the West, they don't have a series format like Steal My Sunshine or Mass Alex and the features they could do, Game Tapes and Demo Derby they don't want to for whatever reason.
They did pre-record content for this week though, both casts and the Nancy Drew vid? So it's not like they haven't thought about it. Plus as someone said earlier, a quiet week is nothing like it used to be in the past.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm curious, what are the crew's general thoughts on Disco Elysum going into game of the year? Have they been playing it? I'm trying to figure out how quickly i need to get through it.

I finally played enough to watch the quick look, and it seems Abby's first impression was made unfortunately more negative than it should have by thinking that the inner dialog was meant as a developer's suggestion and not a literal inner dialog.

I get why she'd think that since that's what thought bubbles usually are in games, but this game plays a lot on debating against your primal instincts. I thought the opening of the game having you go through a long dialog tree with "Ancient Reptilian Brain" was a good way to teach you to engage with your character's inner thoughts. Everyone has thoughts that'd make them assholes if their brain didn't continue to think through if that thought was right to have.

I'm not that much further than the quicklook, but I'm not yet sure if it's cynical exactly either. It primarily seems very compassionate towards people in bleak situations. I think for it to be cynical it needs to be assigning an active negative judgement on its characters which I'm not seeing. At least at this point of the game, I think it leaves the value judgements to the player, and I find a very positive message in showing people still be human while highlighting the many forces pushing them to be monsters.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Working for CBS has it's downsides.
They have corporate meetings youtubers/patereon people dont have.
They have meetings with ad people and merch people.
They are talking site design issues.

It has advantages for them personally, corporate healthcare, a steady paycheck, studio space etc.
But it does make it so they cant just sit there and pump out videos

So no, I don't think people with a youtube/twitch channel is always a fair comparison.

What they really need are interns.
They need some people to do the dirty work. To compile/upload videos. To write the decks, to do all the 'small' stuff that actually takes a lot of time

Discussion of this stuff is fine. It just gets exhausting when all it is is constant shitting on things. Like, holy shit are there better places to complain, like maybe on the actual site

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, what are the crew's general thoughts on Disco Elysum going into game of the year? Have they been playing it? I'm trying to figure out how quickly i need to get through it.

I finally played enough to watch the quick look, and it seems Abby's first impression was made unfortunately more negative than it should have by thinking that the inner dialog was meant as a developer's suggestion and not a literal inner dialog.

I get why she'd think that since that's what thought bubbles usually are in games, but this game plays a lot on debating against your primal instincts. I thought the opening of the game having you go through a long dialog tree with "Ancient Reptilian Brain" was a good way to teach you to engage with your character's inner thoughts. Everyone has thoughts that'd make them assholes if their brain didn't continue to think through if that thought was right to have.

I'm not that much further than the quicklook, but I'm not yet sure if it's cynical exactly either. It primarily seems very compassionate towards people in bleak situations. I think for it to be cynical it needs to be assigning an active negative judgement on its characters which I'm not seeing. At least at this point of the game, I think it leaves the value judgements to the player, and I find a very positive message in showing people still be human while highlighting the many forces pushing them to be monsters.

Ben seems to love it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I downloaded Darksiders 3 last night from Gamepass but ended up playing Death Stranding all night... I decided to check the ds3 quicklook before going to bed and huh... Maybe I should just replay the first two instead...

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Ben is Disco Elysiums only chance.
Alex and Vinny didn't connect with it, which is a shame.

But still, I think Ben has a chance of getting it in around a 10 spot

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Working for CBS has it's downsides.
They have corporate meetings youtubers/patereon people dont have.
They have meetings with ad people and merch people.
They are talking site design issues.

It has advantages for them personally, corporate healthcare, a steady paycheck, studio space etc.
But it does make it so they cant just sit there and pump out videos

So no, I don't think people with a youtube/twitch channel is always a fair comparison.

What they really need are interns.
They need some people to do the dirty work. To compile/upload videos. To write the decks, to do all the 'small' stuff that actually takes a lot of time

Discussion of this stuff is fine. It just gets exhausting when all it is is constant shitting on things. Like, holy shit are there better places to complain, like maybe on the actual site

Nope. This is the best place honestly.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing twitter trending talking about Perth thinking it's about the bushfires and it turns out to be some K-pop star named perth.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Abby hates it.
Vinny told fans of Disco Elysium to shut the fuck up.
Ben liked it.

So, yeah.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It also avoids the weird time where they all go on holiday for thanksgiving and onto the GOTY stuff. From Nov 16-23, let's see their output.

IMO it's the 'draught' in December that's the issue, and seems mostly GOTY-related because everything stops for GOTY which results in a few good videos on occasion, and 216 man hours worth of podcasts that are barely listenable (YMMV)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
This is talking into a void. I'm not sure how this is the best place for site feedback when most of the crew avoids it lol.
Afaik the crew avoid any kind of social interaction with the community...

It's not like they are active on their own forum or Reddit or whatever... Most of the staff barely use Twitter anymore, Jeff hasn't done a Jar Time in like 5 years. Most of his tumblr are RTs of Dooscent posts.

They kind of almost read the chat from time to time during live streams but it scrolls super quickly and is HEAVILY moderated.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Ben has been playing and enjoying it. I'm not sure about anyone else. They do tend to binge some stuff in the lead up to the podcasts so someone else might have put some time into it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
IMO it's the 'draught' in December that's the issue, and seems mostly GOTY-related because everything stops for GOTY which results in a few good videos on occasion, and 216 man hours worth of podcasts that are barely listenable.

I have listened to every GOTYcast multiple times.

Again, I feel like people who don't want the clusterfuck of a podcast kinda miss the point of why it's some of their most consumed content.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Afaik the crew avoid any kind of social interaction with the community...

It's not like they are active on their own forum or Reddit or whatever... Most of the staff barely use Twitter anymore, Jeff hasn't done a Jar Time in like 5 years. Most of his tumblr are RTs of Dooscent posts.

They kind of almost read the chat from time to time during live chat but it scrolls super quickly and is HEAVILY moderated.

I don't think that is quite fair.
Jeff has a call in show every single week.

I have listened to every GOTYcast multiple times.

Again, I feel like people who don't want the clusterfuck of a podcast kinda miss the point of why it's some of their most consumed content.

Yeah, i feel like im taking crazy pills.

If the GOTYcasts aren't over 3 hours each of infighting and non sensible arguments and bad choices i'm not sure why i would listen.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
My goal was to bring the game as far back to the original PS1 aesthetic as possible (hence me using the '98 skin on Claire) but sadly the game doesn't support a proper 4:3 aspect ratio lol.
Well then, I believe in you. If Disney can zoom and enchance the Simpsons, you can crop and dechance re2

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

If the GOTYcasts aren't over 3 hours each of infighting and non sensible arguments and bad choices i'm not sure why i would listen.
the aftershow mainly replaced jartime which kinda was a bunch of how to get into the industry questions
Don't get me wrong, I love the Aftershow but theres is zero actual serious discussion about the site or content or process at any point... It's all drunk people calling about trash fast food in the middle of night.

That's super entertaining to listen to but it has nothing to do with the kind of community interaction I was talking about.

Hell, most of the staff even avoids going to PAX now which was always considered their big community thing every year.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

If anything last year's wasn't as good because they tried to reduce the amount of in fighting. Still some good shit with Dan's rdr2 wrath.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is talking into a void. I'm not sure how this is the best place for site feedback when most of the crew avoids it lol.

Well they seem to avoid criticism either way so at least this place has fellow community members to talk with. I think if they wanted feedback they would do another member survey again.

On the site and the subreddit, criticism is more likely to get deleted by mods. Their own forums aren't as good as back in the day. YouTube comments are YouTube comments (trash).
The other/old place is just full of complaining but are filled with what seem like the worst people in the world.

Not to pump this place up too much, but this is honestly the only Giant Bomb community I know of where people can post their criticism about the site, have it stay up, read and responded to by other community members, while also having decent people in it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think the content criticisms are sound. Outside of a few features here and there, it feels like GB is currently coasting.

I hope with how "empty" early 2020 is in terms of games will give GB more time to come up with more creative video features.

also make vinny play shenmue 2 for the endurance run

ket

Jul 27, 2018
My issue isn't as much about quantity as it is about quality. I don't want to tell them what to do. I just want them (especially the West) to start doing new and cool stuff again.

same. get on my level was a good crosscoast feature and jeff gertsmann pro skater was neat but gb west content overall has been lackluster

Status
Not open for further replies.