• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I got really good news today that I can't really go into, but I might be able to do a lot of things I've been planning finally. Going back to school was at the top of that list.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Nioh 2 added Bloodborne weapons.

That makes me at least 10x more interested in it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I have mostly been avoiding getting sick but we went from summer to fall to winter all in a month and it caught up with me. Now all of my face holes are leaking and I want to die...and my orientation for the new job is tomorrow. So that's good.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I don't think Disco Elysium is particularly liberal. The picture it paints of its world is deeply Marxist insofar as it's very informed by historical materialism. A huge part of the game's writing and plot is explicitly concerned with how inequalities in material conditions, racism, bigotry, etc. dictate individuals' ideologies, and with how social and cultural situations are the product of conflicts between groups informed by different ideologies.

I think the game treats racism with nuance without engaging in both-sides-ism: It explicitly makes racism out to be a condemnable, ugly worldview, but also takes the effects of racism seriously, and treats it (correctly) as a major motivating force in how many people conceive of the world. I wish more games did that, and it's incredibly frustrating to me that people at GB would confuse the presence of racism for the fulfillment of some "racist fantasy"—not least because Disco Elysium does not equivocate about the implicit and explicit violences that racism represents and produces. I'm disappointed, in general, with how many putatively-lefty games writers seem to decry any treatment of racism in games that's more complex than "racism is bad".

I remember a few years back, now, I think, following Hbomberguy's curiouscat, or whatever else, one of those sites where people can send you questions for answering that people use for a few months until a new one happens, and he was asked about Kill La Kill, which he, paraphrasing, said that while he had problems with it, he hated the critical theory that basically boils down to "if there is something in this piece of media someone could've ever jerked off to, it is inherently problematic and you can't take anything else out of it no matter what else it's saying or doing." A lot of liberal fingerwagging at DE's inclusions of racism (and other slurs) seem to come from a similar place, just boiling down to "if this game includes racism or allows you to do anything racist, nothing else the game can do redeems it and it is now irrevocably problematic." The whole thing seems like a critical analysis straight out of 2014 or something, it's just so shocking shallow. Critical theory for games from a left-wing perspective has come so far, and developed such nuance since 5 years ago. (Leftist politics in general has evolved so much since then. Its become a lot less stuck-up in the reality of Trump being President, frankly.)

People are allowed to think whatever they want obviously, but Disco Elysium being so trenched in leftist political theory was exactly the wrong thing to pull some sort of surface level pre-judgement. Waypoint's early skepticism of DE was handled from a much better perspective, but Abby is especially prone to instant snap judgements she states in the most blunt way possible and is deeply closed-minded when she reaches her first impression.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my tv shipped

but

it has moved to tuesday

exasperated ack

bury me six feet deep, cover me in concrete

turn me into a street

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Abby saying she bounced off the Witcher because it "starts with a camera up a woman's ass" even though the first scene is with naked Gerald in the tub

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had essential cargo get destroyed and it game overed me after walking like 2000 meters toward my destination.

My brain is mush. This thing might not be for me

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
DE fans are never going to quit, huh.
I just had essential cargo get destroyed and it game overed me after walking like 2000 meters toward my destination.

My brain is mush. This thing might not be for me
Oh you can't just... fail missions? The survival-postman stuff feels so at odds with everything else in the game.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They phased it out because they weren't able to figure out power and battery management at the time. Too much heat. Then they off-loaded those chips to Nintendo for the switch.

If you load custom firmware on the switch you can get Nvidia's GameStream app and use it to stream games from GeForceExperience to your switch.
Can I play Disco Elysium without my own gaming pc with GeForceExperience

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Abby saying she bounced off the Witcher because it "starts with a camera up a woman's ass" even though the first scene is with naked Gerald in the tub
i mean it is a series that started with "gotta fuck em all" collectible cards of the women you bang in the first game so it's not on the best footing with that

Oct 25, 2017
MRRegVe.png

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
At this point, its really just a waste of time to point out all the things she doesnt like because of some made up reason that isn't real. It's at the point of just letting Dan go for worshiping Vince and WWE, and Jeff for only liking fps and old games. It's just not worth discussing anymore.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The whole thing seems like a critical analysis straight out of 2014 or something, it's just so shocking shallow. Critical theory for games from a left-wing perspective has come so far, and developed such nuance since 5 years ago. (Leftist politics in general has evolved so much since then. Its become a lot less stuck-up in the reality of Trump being President, frankly.)

If 2019 leftism is going to depend on Chapo Trap House and other purveoys of "dirtbag leftism" who are less "stuck up" (ie. OK with racism and sexism because they've gotten annoyed by somebody 'woke') think being best buddies with Cumtown and such, nah, I'm good with lots of people not being OK with it.

At this point, its really just a waste of time to point out all the things she doesnt like because of some made up reason that isn't real. It's at the point of just letting Dan go for worshiping Vince and WWE, and Jeff for only liking fps and old games. It's just not worth discussing anymore.

As opposed to the very moderate and nuanced reasons people don't like the things Abby likes, such as Dream Daddy. Also incredibly hilarious you're comparing Dan's support of an actual asshole like Vince McMahon and Abby ya' know, not enjoying a game that sexualizes women.

I'm happy Giantbomb is one of the few places that for example, is perfectly happy not to think The Witcher 3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread or doesn't immediately crown Disco Elysium because it occasionally talks about Communism.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think right after that is a fully naked Yennefer lounging with her back to the camera, which is probably what Abby is referring to.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
If 2019 leftism is going to depend on Chapo Trap House and other purveoys of "dirtbag leftism" who are less "stuck up" (ie. OK with racism and sexism because they've gotten annoyed by somebody 'woke') think being best buddies with Cumtown and such, nah, I'm good with lots of people not being OK with it.

I mean this is a much deeper conversation than a Giant Bomb community thread does justice but I'll just say I think the fact that hard-left politics has gained small footholds in places and has more of a noticeable voice in the political conversation is in large part because it became more self-secure, nuanced, and capable of laughing at itself instead of treating individual instances of problematic behavior as contagious diseases. Chapo (which has many problems - and is also listened to a liked by multiple members of GB and Waypoint ftr) is popular because they decided to actually be funny instead of be scolds.

As far as Abby goes, she's often justified in what she calls problematic, (the Witcher for instance is wildly sexist) my issues with her mostly stem from the fact that her capability in analyzing something doesn't go beyond being able to assign the label. It makes it very evident her coming of age into social politics happened around 2014 when leftist (I hesitate to use the word leftist but people misunderstand "liberal") analysis of games was so much more black and white because it was just coming into its own.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan: I think you can unlock Sonic the Hedgehog

Abby: Oh who cares

I've never felt more seen

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Even when Jeff picks out a recently released game for UPF, he still manages to play Smash TV.

Classic Jeff.
All of the old Midway arcade classics are the most thinly veiled quarter munchers and part of me thinks Jeff's love for them is just stockholm syndrome.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I think right after that is a fully naked Yennefer lounging with her back to the camera, which is probably what Abby is referring to.
Yah this.

The Witcher 3 is male-gazey as fuck, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Abby dismissing it on that basis.

It's one of my favourite games, ever, but acting like Abby's issues with it are nothing more than 'some made up reason that isn't real' is both super shitty, and so easily disproven in this specific case as to make the entire argument laughable.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean this is a much deeper conversation than a Giant Bomb community thread does justice but I'll just say I think the fact that hard-left politics has gained small footholds in places and has more of a noticeable voice in the political conversation is in large part because it became more self-secure, nuanced, and capable of laughing at itself instead of treating individual instances of problematic behavior as contagious diseases. Chapo (which has many problems - and is also listened to a liked by multiple members of GB and Waypoint ftr) is popular because they decided to actually be funny instead of be scolds.

As far as Abby goes, she's often justified in what she calls problematic, (the Witcher for instance is wildly sexist) my issues with her mostly stem from the fact that her capability in analyzing something doesn't go beyond being able to assign the label.

Let me guess, you also think Cancel Culture is a big problem and think the Left would win if those damn moderates would stop telling workers to stop using racist slurs or sexually harassing women, right?

I'm going to guess the vast majority of people who vote for Bernie largely agree with the actual positions of the "scolds" in society, as far as making things less racist, sexist, and bigoted, as opposed to Patreon funded trust fund podcasters in Brooklyn who think the way to victory is letting people say retard again and think identity politics is terrible (except for of course, the identity politics of white dudes who complain online about identity politics).

I'm not surprised at all CTH is popular - anything that appeals to aggrieved dudes is incredibly popular on the Internet, while in real life, the people who actually won elections were disproportionately women and minorities running on the typical Democratic positions on "identity politics' issues, not anti-woke scolds.

But yes, we're probably not going to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.