• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair to the crew: vague, uninformed information they think they heard but aren't entirely sure about is basically their wheelhouse for discussion. It's an entertainment site with video games.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing some Luigi's Mansion 3 on the work shuttle and then remembered I get really bad motion sickness when I play on the work shuttle. Guess I'll have to wait till I get home.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making use of someone else's ladders and ropes in Death Stranding is a legitimately good feeling.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
feel like pure shit just want her back x

3077880-cp_massalex2_part01_01222019.00_32_21_28.still001.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Australia sucks too, but after listening to Waypoints I don't understand how 90% of Americans aren't constantly screaming in the streets at the injustice of everything

if the LNP ever manages to fuck our healthcare the way Americans have fucked their healthcare, jesus christ, i'll start building barricades in the street myself.

can't believe it was just two weeks ago that the anti-climate extinction laws passed in QLD and now both NSW and QLD are just fucking apocalyptic firestorms

these aren't strictly related but its' better than arguing about disco elysium a game where everything everyone says surrounding it makes me actively want to play it less even though I'm fairly sure i'd like it

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, you also think Cancel Culture is a big problem and think the Left would win if those damn moderates would stop telling workers to stop using racist slurs or sexually harassing women, right?

I'm going to guess the vast majority of people who vote for Bernie largely agree with the actual positions of the "scolds" in society, as far as making things less racist, sexist, and bigoted, as opposed to Patreon funded trust fund podcasters in Brooklyn who think the way to victory is letting people say retard again and think identity politics is terrible (except for of course, the identity politics of white dudes who complain online about identity politics).

I'm not surprised at all CTH is popular - anything that appeals to aggrieved dudes is incredibly popular on the Internet, while in real life, the people who actually won elections were disproportionately women and minorities running on the typical Democratic positions on "identity politics' issues, not anti-woke scolds.

But yes, we're probably not going to agree.
Are you ok?

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
if the LNP ever manages to fuck our healthcare the way Americans have fucked their healthcare, jesus christ, i'll start building barricades in the street myself.

can't believe it was just two weeks ago that the anti-climate extinction laws passed in QLD and now both NSW and QLD are just fucking apocalyptic firestorms

these aren't strictly related but its' better than arguing about disco elysium a game where everything everyone says surrounding it makes me actively want to play it less even though I'm fairly sure i'd like it

Oct 27, 2017
NY
thought they'd eventually do a shenmue 2 ER in the leadup to 3, but now that it's so close to goty there's no chance this year.

instead we got burgle my bananas.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ok I thought maybe we were overdoing "strand game" jokes but the back of this fucking box says

FORMING CONNECTIONS WITHIN THE WORLD AND BEYOND, THE "SOCIAL STRAND SYSTEM" USHERS IN THE NEW "STRAND GAME" GENRE!

so it probably has not been done enough

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
She's also not allowed to like anything for literally any reason she wants like Dream Daddy.

Tbf, not that she is aware of it, but there is a growing trend where western visual novels are considered more "innovative" and "better" by the english speaking gamepress that ignores a lot about what's done in Japan, that those western VNs are basically copying from, that can reek of western exceptionalism.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Tbf, not that she is aware of it, but there is a growing trend where western visual novels are considered more "innovative" and "better" by the english speaking gamepress that ignores a lot about what's done in Japan, that those western VNs are basically copying from, that can reek of western exceptionalism.

I don't deny that stuff like Fata Morgana is roughly a billion times more enthralling to me and will receive no coverage coverage on the site. At the same time some people just find the idea of being a dad dating dads to be more appealing or easier to get into.

Though maybe I'm misremembering things and Abby was claiming it's the best VN ever made rather than it being something that appealed to her that she wasn't excepting.

Edit: Also I kinda don't think the "criticism" came from people being upset that she didn't appreciate other VNs

Last edited:

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you make that thread about the KFC VN game

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the other weird thing is that corporations often shield themselves in a way by employing VN fans and enthusiasts and artists who are just super happy that anybody is funding any VN work in english at all

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't deny that stuff like Fata Morgana is roughly a billion times more enthralling to me and will receive no coverage coverage on the site. At the same time some people just find the idea of being a dad dating dads to be more appealing or easier to get into.

Though maybe I'm misremembering things and Abby was claiming it's the best VN ever made rather than it being something that appealed to her that she wasn't excepting.

I think there were some mentioned of it doing things better than other VNs but eh it's not something I'm going to die in a hill for, especially when it's in the heat of goty where you're tired but still want to get your pick over.

Did you make that thread about the KFC VN game

Nah.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
in the case of dream daddy there's also a conversation to be had about whitewashing queer experiences to make a thing as marketable and as safe as possible to appeal to a predominately straight audience but that's not to say the game doesn't have some merit (though the parent/child relationship being the strongest part says... something), I liked the teacher who secretly loves wrestling

it's basically the kfc game tbh

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
let's all agree to piss on the same spot
Despite seeing a lot of stuff I have yet to see a mushroom. I have a feeling people were told about the indoor pissing mechanic and never looked up the outdoor pissing thing. I don't think I've had that tutorialized yet after 7 or 8 hours.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd hate this dumb game.

I'm just putting don't piss signs everywhere. This is a masterpiece.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference is that they're calling it appealing to racists and sexists. They said it can be a racists' fantasy. And the game can't. So people are reacting pretty aggressively and emotionally. To be clear, folks getting very upset about it is not ok. Just needs to be dropped and moved on from.

Ironically, it seems to me the people accusing Abby of reading DE uncharitably are doing exactly that to her. If she thought the game was racist, I doubt she would have described it in such a middling way; you'd have seen her dismiss it as absolute garbage, or something along those lines. If I remember correctly, she said she didn't enjoy the game playing with that fantasy at all, not that the game was specifically tailored, on a holistic level, to appeal to racists.

It was basically another way of saying she didn't dig the game's tone. People are extrapolating this incredibly dramatic characterization from it, like somehow she intended her comment as a damning accusation, and this is where I can't help but be uncharitable myself and think they're doing that in order to justify their vastly disproportionate reactions to someone not enjoying a game as much as them.

Basically, people need to relax. This is no different from Abby being turned off from something like Bayonetta: you aren't always going to be in the mood to give a game the benefit of the doubt, sometimes even something ultimately executed really well is going to give you a bad feeling, and you're just going to bounce off it. It's not like Abby's gone on a crusade to shame DE or its defenders, so let's not pretend there's some great imperative to protect its artistic integrity from her quote unquote snap judgments.

Status
Not open for further replies.