• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
xY9XSo9.gif
Every male teenageer losing their virginity.

Edit: I regret that this became a top-of-page post.

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the protagonist in Jedi fallen order lool like he fell down a YouTube hole of Kylo Ren videos.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play any Strand Game yet because I was extremely sleepy while trying to play a little more LM3

but I did finally play a bit of Spirit Hunter: NG, so my VN backlog is actually going to be dealt with, hopefully; unfortunate that I didn't get to it within October, since I wanted to get to more horror things in the Spoiky Month and thanks to this and some delays it'll only be after, hmm

tomorrow I will deliver boxes, I guess

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
I think I've reached the point with Disco Elysium talk to where I'm starting to feel like a crazy person for not loving it in the same way a lot of people seem to. I'm almost capable of empathizing with the general dismissiveness that game is getting on Giant Bomb, if only because it's not a bunch of hyperbolic "All RPGs are ruined forever now because I played a spinkick communist hobocop, Game of the Generation"

Also, Disco Elysium is probably one of my favorite games of the year. It just didn't come together for me the same way it seemingly has for others.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't blame people for talking about Disco a lot. It's a niche CRPG with very little marketing that is practically unstreamable, word of mouth is basically all it has. I don't think the discourse will blow up on he same scale as Undertale but I can see it maybe reaching Hollow Knight levels. But as the Death Stranding discourse has shown, "I like/dislike what you dislike/like" continues to be a hurdle people cannot get over, and while you may believe someone's judgement on a game is inaccurate or misrepresentative, pushing back against that often just entrenches their position. Some hills aren't worth dying on.

Disco Elysium fervour is reminding me of Undertale around its release and leading towards GOTY time. But less fun?

At the very least, Disco hasn't reached the "distasteful sexualised fanart" stage that got me to bail out of the deeper Undertale fandom.

Last edited:

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I'm fortunate enough that I've never had a fanbase turn me off from experiencing a game, movie, show, album, etc.

If anything, I tend to tune out all the hostility and overbearing nature of fandoms. What sticks to me is when I read or listen to a reasoned and measured case explaining what's so special about a thing. If the argument is presented well, whether it's through writing or talking, the enthusiasm for the thing naturally radiates from the person making the case.

Of course, I can say all this because I'm just some nobody on the internet and don't have a following, an audience, or a big enough presence that attracts attention from the worst of fandoms. I don't have hundreds or thousands of people directly and incessantly telling me I need to play this game or that I'm playing it wrong or that I'm not giving it a fair shot, all the while mixing in jabs at how I look and talk and wild assumptions about my personal life and what I do on my own time. I can write a negative first impression without having to worry about receiving a ton of feedback from passionate fans telling me I'm wrong. I don't think I'm equipped for that, and I have a degree of respect for today's content creators/critics/personalities/influencers or whatever the fuck you call people with an online following who can keep doing their thing without flipping out every time they get a deluge of comments/emails/DMs from strangers who have psycho-analyzed them for their media consumption habits.

anyway time to go deliver these smart drugs and 200 pounds of resin to these oxy fiends at the distro

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't blame people for talking about Disco a lot. It's a niche CRPG with very little marketing that is practically unstreamable, word of mouth is basically all it has. I don't think the discourse will blow up on he same scale as Undertale but I can see it maybe reaching Hollow Knight levels. But as the Death Stranding discourse has shown, "I like/dislike what you dislike/like" continues to be a hurdle people cannot get over, and while you may believe someone's judgement on a game is inaccurate or misrepresentative, pushing back against that often just entrenches their position. Some hills aren't worth dying on.

Pretty much.

Disco is worth seeing for the stuff it does with dialog choices in particular. It's also in a genre and tone that can be a hard sell.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I think I am with Ben in regards to the animated Aladdin movie. Probably more towards the bottom of the renaissance era. I like the supporting cast but during the movie I am always waiting for the next song because the movie is kind of boring.

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium fervour is reminding me of Undertale around its release and leading towards GOTY time. But less fun?
You're badly misremembering the height of Undertale popularity if you think they're in any way similar. Elysium has some diehards talking about it, you couldn't get away from Undertale if you ran in certain circles.
I like Disco Elysium and also I think its portrayal of union workers as lazy entitled ruffians is really weird

I would be legit shocked if a game that isn't Death Stranding won Most Disappointing
That's not really true in regards to its portrayal of union workers though?

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've played Death Stranding for around 12 hours over these past two days so I'm obviously enjoying it immensely.

I do have doubts as to whether this gameplay loop can be entertaining for another 40 or so hours and then another 100 for the platinum trophy.

The dialogue and cutscenes are typical Kojima bad. I am wondering how it manages to poop itself in the end like Vinny and Alex says it does because it already seems like everything is done through exposition. I am still intrigued where it all goes.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Abby didn't just say she didn't like the game, she implied it was morally weird because she made a character intentionally dumb then didnt understand that would impact on the dialogue choices. I haven't played the game but it was just a bad Quick Look. Sometimes Giant Bomb are wrong and that is ok.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Abby didn't just say she didn't like the game, she implied it was morally weird because she made a character intentionally dumb then didnt understand that would impact on the dialogue choices. I haven't played the game but it was just a bad Quick Look. Sometimes Giant Bomb are wrong and that is ok.
Not signposting the consequences of choices is a creative/design risk that can backfire. Not really fair--at all--to blame Abby because she didn't look up a guide before playing.

The reaction to Abby's (and, GB's) thoughts on DE has been gross to witness. It's toxic fandom, 100%.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
#Blitzpressions: Precious Cargo (Death Stranding for PlayStation 4)
EI5lUGVXYAAi2up

Going mostly blind into Death Stranding, I knew a couple things.

I knew Hideo Kojima was involved and I knew it was basically a delivery game. What I didn't expect is to actually be into all the intricate systems and gameplay loop so far. As I started up the game, I took in the beauty of the deformed nature of the terrain, the scenic landscapes as Sam trudged along a path, the swelling music kicking in, I muttered under my breath "this is going to be an experience"

Death Stranding much like Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be a divisive game and divide a player base for a second straight year. Death Stranding is full of bullshit. You have a health bar, a stamina bar, you have a device which tells you how deep the water is, how rocky the terrain is, there's a certain weight limit Sam can handle before his overburdened. Now personally, I like to just click auto arrange cargo and take my work like that. It took up to an event in the first episode for me to really say "Alright, I'm into this" but after that, I was hooked.

I have played Death Stranding for five hours, in those five hours, I have made deliveries, I have picked up loose cargo and delievered it to the ports of Bridges buildings. I'm not going to bother talking about the story, while it is quite intriguing, it's just a lot of Kojima nonsense. Most times I am just sitting in front of the screen saying "Huh" and "How much THC was Kojima on when he wrote this".

I will say I do find the characters and nature of this story intriguing as all hell but I am also just watching the cutscene and rolling my eyes at times at all this "rebuilding America" motif. Sam is a fine protagonist, he's nothing special but he's not forgettable by any means, I mean he talks to himself to keep himself motivated to continue on his hike. And as you journey across, you will find devices left by other players and this is where Death Stranding shines. It's connecting gamers to work together so all of us can enjoy this game a little more. Like this is my ladder, I left it here for you and that's pretty damn cool.

The Like system while unique and friendly is overall just fluff. Sure, I appreciate you left me this ladder or a motivational sign, have a few likes while I tap the track pad. I will say it is a great edition to the game though. But what is really keeping me in this game and I'm gonna sound like a crazy one here is the damn deliveries. I love navigating the terrain, being careful cross the raging waters (though I have experience being swept away and dropping my cargo), I could do without the BT sections but eh, they're fine as a stopgap to the destination. Dropping off the requested cargo and getting your results screens and getting that S rank is so good. I LIKE THE DELIVERIES AND I CAN'T DENY IT ANYMORE.

Yes, you will do a lot of walking in the earlier portion of this game, Yes, this game is full of intricate systems but they all work for me. Maybe I have the patient of a saint? My friend who watched along side me said he would not be able to tolerate this game but here we are. So as I auto load my cargo, set my path, navigate the terrain and make my way to my destination, I can say as of right now, I do not regret buying Death Stranding.

If I learned anything and while it's not the biggest thing, I've learned that whenever Dan Ryckert hates a game, I end up really enjoying it so if you're reading this, Thanks Dan.

I will probably be putting a few more hours into Death Stranding this weekend. The story is not what I bought this game for, I bought this game to play a unique delivery man action adventure.

FedEx Quest.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
#Blitzpressions: Precious Cargo (Death Stranding for PlayStation 4)
EI5lUGVXYAAi2up

Going mostly blind into Death Stranding, I knew a couple things.

I knew Hideo Kojima was involved and I knew it was basically a delivery game. What I didn't expect is to actually be into all the intricate systems and gameplay loop so far. As I started up the game, I took in the beauty of the deformed nature of the terrain, the scenic landscapes as Sam trudged along a path, the swelling music kicking in, I muttered under my breath "this is going to be an experience"

Death Stranding much like Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to be a divisive game and divide a player base for a second straight year. Death Stranding is full of bullshit. You have a health bar, a stamina bar, you have a device which tells you how deep the water is, how rocky the terrain is, there's a certain weight limit Sam can handle before his overburdened. Now personally, I like to just click auto arrange cargo and take my work like that. It took up to an event in the first episode for me to really say "Alright, I'm into this" but after that, I was hooked.

I have played Death Stranding for five hours, in those five hours, I have made deliveries, I have picked up loose cargo and delievered it to the ports of Bridges buildings. I'm not going to bother talking about the story, while it is quite intriguing, it's just a lot of Kojima nonsense. Most times I am just sitting in front of the screen saying "Huh" and "How much THC was Kojima on when he wrote this".

I will say I do find the characters and nature of this story intriguing as all hell but I am also just watching the cutscene and rolling my eyes at times at all this "rebuilding America" motif. Sam is a fine protagonist, he's nothing special but he's not forgettable by any means, I mean he talks to himself to keep himself motivated to continue on his hike. And as you journey across, you will find devices left by other players and this is where Death Stranding shines. It's connecting gamers to work together so all of us can enjoy this game a little more. Like this is my ladder, I left it here for you and that's pretty damn cool.

The Like system while unique and friendly is overall just fluff. Sure, I appreciate you left me this ladder or a motivational sign, have a few likes while I tap the track pad. I will say it is a great edition to the game though. But what is really keeping me in this game and I'm gonna sound like a crazy one here is the damn deliveries. I love navigating the terrain, being careful cross the raging waters (though I have experience being swept away and dropping my cargo), I could do without the BT sections but eh, they're fine as a stopgap to the destination. Dropping off the requested cargo and getting your results screens and getting that S rank is so good. I LIKE THE DELIVERIES AND I CAN'T DENY IT ANYMORE.

Yes, you will do a lot of walking in the earlier portion of this game, Yes, this game is full of intricate systems but they all work for me. Maybe I have the patient of a saint? My friend who watched along side me said he would not be able to tolerate this game but here we are. So as I auto load my cargo, set my path, navigate the terrain and make my way to my destination, I can say as of right now, I do not regret buying Death Stranding.

If I learned anything and while it's not the biggest thing, I've learned that whenever Dan Ryckert hates a game, I end up really enjoying it so if you're reading this, Thanks Dan.

I will probably be putting a few more hours into Death Stranding this weekend. The story is not what I bought this game for, I bought this game to play a unique delivery man action adventure.

FedEx Quest.
Well damn I bought it for my brother, but you've convinced me to give it a shot

After I finish Outer Worlds of course

ket

Jul 27, 2018
i mean GB seems to mostly dislike death stranding so maybe if the new star wars game turns out to be great then yeah it could be on the goty list. it's the last big release of the year after all (well, there's also shenmue 3 on Nov 19th but yeah I don't see that getting on the list).

Status
Not open for further replies.