• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Control like a week ago and put it at number 5 on my GOTY. A few days ago I realized it was probably top 3. Today I woke up and decided it was my GOTY, game is straight dynamite.

So far i'm looking at something like:

10. Telling Lies
9. Mortal Kombat 11
8. Fire Emblem
7. Mario Maker 2
6. Bloodstained
5. Power Rangers: Battle For the Grid
4. Resident Evil 2
3. Sekiro
2. Devil May Cry V
1. Control

Still have to finish Star Wars, play Pokemon and Death Stranding but I don't see the list changing too much. On reflection, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or Samurai Showdown might knock out Telling Lies.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but lately all the videos from the GB video app on Apple TV have been freezing for me. The audio will still play normally, but the footage freezes in place constantly for a few seconds.

I was also watching their Stadia video on YouTube, and 17 minutes in I get an error report message. I don't know if GB changed their video codec and it's not Apple TV-friendly, but I wanted to check for any solutions.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
It does. You can look at an entry in your computer that still has spokes and notes and tag it and it'll put a waypoint in the world for you so that's helpful for following leads.

Actually I was kinda in your place for a few months and just needed a little nudge to keep going. If you want, spoiler a pic of your computer screen and maybe I can give you a couple things to look into to hopefully bring you through to the end. It's really worth seeing, even if you have to break the "sanctity" of not getting hints to get there.
I mean... I know it actually helps, I just mean in my case it didn't really help lol... I should check back on it before GOTY tho I'm not sure if there's really anything to spoil for me

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm a bit conflicted on Pokemon Sword/Shield. On one hand I'm having a great time since there's still nothing else that quite scratches the same itch, but it very much feels like a Pokemon game on fast-forward. I'm not even talking about the exp-share or the extra ways of levelling Pokemon, but there just doesn't feel like much content compared to any previous game, especially between towns. There are clear steps forward, like being able to skip some tutorials and explanations and Bede, while a secondary rival, is easily the most antagonistic rival since Silver. But the general lack of content and occasionally bizarre design decision just feels more like rush than anything else. I wonder if the Wild Area ended up being more resource intensive than they'd expected.

Either way I'm not going anywhere near the Pokedex issue. That's where a lot of ire comes from and while I'm not overly concerned with it personally, I get why it's such a big thing for people.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I mean... I know it actually helps, I just mean in my case it didn't really help lol... I should check back on it before GOTY tho I'm not sure if there's really anything to spoil for me
Okay, good you've noticed that, I've seen that several people didn't know about the tagging thing and had trouble getting back to where they were.

But yeah, I'd say it's worth seeing through because like TheRightDeal and Control, I wake up every day thinking a little more of it. It's really sticking with me.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but lately all the videos from the GB video app on Apple TV have been freezing for me. The audio will still play normally, but the footage freezes in place constantly for a few seconds.

I was also watching their Stadia video on YouTube, and 17 minutes in I get an error report message. I don't know if GB changed their video codec and it's not Apple TV-friendly, but I wanted to check for any solutions.

Tried watching the Stadia Quicklook on my Apple TV yesterday and had the same problem. Quite annoying.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

It has an all time great ending, so yeah, i would want to experience that myself if i were you

im sure someone has done a spoiler free walkthrough i would go to that if you had to

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
instead of buying the jedi game and being able to follow conversation i ended up blasting through the first half of Umineko... and i wish i had read that when people were still talking about it. There's a lot of stuff going on there.

I also realised that I prefer to not have choose your own adventure style choices in a story that's actually good. I still enjoy them when there's actual mechanics tied into it, like reputation/mangement systems or figuring something out, but the basic "do i go with A or B" without much context holds little appeal. At that point i just hope i picked the more interesting option instead of it feeling like roleplaying.

one of us, one of us

(I hope you enjoy it! It's something that really means a lot to me, though partially due to that discussion/the friends that I met around it.)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Those esports nominations just flew right over my head.

I get that the FGC isn't the biggest, but I've literally never heard of any of those people.

But Iceborne got a nomination so it's all good.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone surprised at all the DS nominations?
I can't think of any other game that was talked about as much this year.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Geoff Keighley realize Untitled Goose Game was not House House's first game and thus isn't actually eligible for the Fresh Indie Game category it's nominated for?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
one of us, one of us

(I hope you enjoy it! It's something that really means a lot to me, though partially due to that discussion/the friends that I met around it.)

I like it a lot. It also keeps surprising me. Not necessarily the supernatural stuff but how it handles the characterdrama and all the traumas that are abound. It's also bar none the best exectution of the "groundhog day" premise since they brillantly avoid repetion, despite the reset. Instead new layers are added continously.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Best narrative nominations seem super thin and I liked a bunch of the games nominated. I'm bad at remembering stuff but i'm certain there's a lot of worthy candidates missing on that list.

The strategy game lists looks great though. It was a good year for the genre.

May 5, 2018
Interesting choices for The Game Awards to nominate. Kind of surprised Fire Emblem didn't get both an RPG and Strategy nomination but it should win best strategy.

Also nice to see Sayonara Wild Hearts and Untitled Goose Game get a decent amount of love, even though House House shouldn't be in the fresh indie category since they made that stretchy co-op game before (Can't think of the game's name). Baba is You is getting my vote for best indie though!

Neat that Control got a GOTY nomination too. I wasn't sure if it was gonna get a GOTY nomination due to its sales not being super impressive, but its up for the award!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool the TGA thread already has people posting conspiracy theories about Death Stranding's nominations.

As if the idea of some journalists liking it is some alien concept.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Parvati is too popular, sorry
I'm in Chapter 11 and just now he seems to be talking much more than usual but for most of the game he's a subdued mumbling guy which I guess I understand but that's far from best performance material.

You, plebians: Parvati! Reedus!

Me, galaxy brain: Dr. Casper Motherfucking Darling

Po2RCIY.gif

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
After 60 hours of Fire Emblem, I want a mode where I can automate the school stuff and just go straight to the battles.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I didn't think it was a weak year for games but that GOTY category sure makes it look like it was

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool the TGA thread already has people posting conspiracy theories about Death Stranding's nominations.

As if the idea of some journalists liking it is some alien concept.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with journalists liking the game... There is, however, something fishy with the Award's organizer being both best friend with Kojima AND in the game himself and yet, from what it looks like, not even recusing himself....

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
You can just say Waypoint lol

I actually thought I did. Meant to add it in parenthesis along with Easy Allies to show the podcasts I tried. Two that I always see mentioned alongside Giantbombcast.

And yeah, I'm not losing any sleep over the missing stuff in Sword/Shield, I just didn't buy them. And really I don't even have a problem with the trimming down of mon in the game (even if I prefer B/Ws method of only new pokemon till postgame), it's more the complete lack of postgame and how everything seems even more on rails. Maybe it stands out more next to Lets Go since it showed how much of a straight line path the games have become. Stuff like the always on exp is full dumb though. It also seems hard to find any resonable people backing this point of view online and its just a big angry mob going nuts countered with commentators telling everyone "who cares".

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think there's always going to be a bit of unease with shows that both present awards and also advertise upcoming products in the same field. Presenting awards to products in the same show that previously acted as a means of advertising the same products isn't anything new. The only real difference this time is that the presenter and face of the show is personally and professionally involved in one of the nominated products and its principal creator.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just not a very good look.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely nothing wrong with journalists liking the game... There is, however, something fishy with the Award's organizer being both best friend with Kojima AND in the game himself and yet, from what it looks like, not even recusing himself....
Honestly the awards are so nothing that I wouldn't think he'd need to step out even if he was personally stuffing the ballot boxes. It's all a big series of commercials peppered with a couple of feel-good statements about games.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the awards are so nothing that I wouldn't think he'd need to step out even if he was personally stuffing the ballot boxes. It's all a big series of commercials peppered with a couple of feel-good statements about games.
Oh yeah for sure, the whole thing is a complete shitshow no matter what but if he wants to appear serious and legit he should be more transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.