• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Wilds is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. Every run gets more confusing and frustrating than the last, briefly punctuated some cool shit I find. It seems like such a great concept, but then I have to control the space ship, or God forbid the jetpack when I get shot into god damn space through a black hole for missing a jump.

Is there any kind of rewind mechanic? Or at least a quick kill yourself button for when a run is fucked?

I never got anywhere near that stressed out by it
I loved sitting there floating in space waiting for the world to end.

If i wanted to die faster id shoot myself into the sun, which is easy to do even with just the jetpack

Sep 12, 2018
The Outer Wilds is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. Every run gets more confusing and frustrating than the last, briefly punctuated some cool shit I find. It seems like such a great concept, but then I have to control the space ship, or God forbid the jetpack when I get shot into god damn space through a black hole for missing a jump.

Is there any kind of rewind mechanic? Or at least a quick kill yourself button for when a run is fucked?
Nope, one of the things about the game that sucks and lowers it on my top 10 list.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're finding Outer Wilds frustrating, you need to take a look at the computer on your ship that shows you exactly what you know and how it related to other things. Also shows you when you've found everything there is to find in an area. If you are having trouble putting the pieces together than there's not much to be said because that's the crux of the game - putting the pieces together on your own.

Sep 12, 2018
uDOML15.png

????

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair in Wilds you can quit to the main menu and load back in to start a new run and that only takes as long as it takes to reload the world.

But yeah they maybe should have given you a cyanide capsule in your tooth. It would have been especially funny if it was just a single button press so you would accidentally kill yourself occasionally.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
There is a way to skip to the next loop but it requires you to talk to a specific NPC to get the ability to do it.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
If you're finding Outer Wilds frustrating, you need to take a look at the computer on your ship that shows you exactly what you know and how it related to other things. Also shows you when you've found everything there is to find in an area. If you are having trouble putting the pieces together than there's not much to be said because that's the crux of the game - putting the pieces together on your own.

The computer doesn't seem that helpful in figuring out what to do or where I'm supposed to go. What's the indicator that you've found everything there is to find?

Also, is the whole appeal of the game just discovering the nature of the world? Cause at this point I'm not really that interested aside from the groundhog day thing being neat.

About five runs ago I came across the gravity cannon/shuttle to the quantum moon in Brittle Hollow, and been trying to poke holes and figure out what to do in those places. But the quantum moon sucks because there doesn't seem to be any gravity and the jetpack controls just elude me for navigating with any sort of precision. But on Brittle Hollow trying to explore further down just leads to those gravity shoot things that you have to jump from one to the other and I just keep missing them and going through the black hole.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
apparently the Roku is looking at the packets sent by the Switch looking for other nearby Switches and handling it poorly? wild
My switch lite destroys my network when I load up Pokemon. I dont know what is causing it. It reboots my router and disconnects all my streaming devices for a few minutes. Its so weird

Oct 27, 2017
The computer doesn't seem that helpful in figuring out what to do or where I'm supposed to go. What's the indicator that you've found everything there is to find?

Also, is the whole appeal of the game just discovering the nature of the world? Cause at this point I'm not really that interested aside from the groundhog day thing being neat.

About five runs ago I came across the gravity cannon/shuttle to the quantum moon in Brittle Hollow, and been trying to poke holes and figure out what to do in those places. But the quantum moon sucks because there doesn't seem to be any gravity and the jetpack controls just elude me for navigating with any sort of precision. But on Brittle Hollow trying to explore further down just leads to those gravity shoot things that you have to jump from one to the other and I just keep missing them and going through the black hole.

The game gives you a scanner that lets you hear the music from other explorers in the solar system - that's pretty much the biggest nudge in terms of direction and objective. Based on that you'll go from place to place and get a chance to see a lot of the different planets. The computer shows you the different planets, and the areas on the planets and will have some sort of indicator when there's more stuff to find, I don't remember the exact verbiage but it very blatantly tells you there's more to find. Shouldn't be hard to tell compared to areas that are cleared out... I think it's an exclamation mark? I started using the view that just shows the planets but the other view which shows the discreet locations (color coded based on the planet) and lines that connect to other locations allowed me to understand how things related to each other and helped me figure out where I needed to go next.

Either way, if you're not finding the gameplay loop interesting, then it's probably not a game for you. Not that big of a deal. For me it was one of the most satisfying exploration experiences I've had since BOTW with so many moments of discovery throughout the 15 or so hours. Figuring out the concepts of quantum mechanics the game presents, especially how the quantum moon works was a revelation. It's incredibly clever in how it gatekeeps areas like a Metroidvania purely by your understanding of mechanics and the world around you.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

You can talk to the guy on Giant's Deep to learn how to meditate, which immediately starts a new run.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the actual exploration and atmosphere and visuals of death stranding are really interesting and enjoyable

but then people start talking and I can't stand it

I just want to take a relaxing stroll in weird iceland-america and occasionally look at creepy Norman Reedus gravure and coddle a baby

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, is Outer Wilds a rogue like?
I thought it was some sort of exploration/puzzle game?

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
The game gives you a scanner that lets you hear the music from other explorers in the solar system - that's pretty much the biggest nudge in terms of direction and objective. Based on that you'll go from place to place and get a chance to see a lot of the different planets. The computer shows you the different planets, and the areas on the planets and will have some sort of indicator when there's more stuff to find, I don't remember the exact verbiage but it very blatantly tells you there's more to find. Shouldn't be hard to tell compared to areas that are cleared out... I think it's an exclamation mark? I started using the view that just shows the planets but the other view which shows the discreet locations (color coded based on the planet) and lines that connect to other locations allowed me to understand how things related to each other and helped me figure out where I needed to go next.

Either way, if you're not finding the gameplay loop interesting, then it's probably not a game for you. Not that big of a deal. For me it was one of the most satisfying exploration experiences I've had since BOTW with so many moments of discovery throughout the 15 or so hours. Figuring out the concepts of quantum mechanics the game presents, especially how the quantum moon works was a revelation. It's incredibly clever in how it gatekeeps areas like a Metroidvania purely by your understanding of mechanics and the world around you.

I'll have to keep all this in mind. Thanks for such a detailed response. There's a good chance that this just isn't a game for me, which is shame for a lot of reasons. I love exploration and figuring things out when I can, but space as a setting kinda inherently both bores and confuses me so it's already an uphill battle. And it's a bummer to hear so many excited conversations about a game and all the things people are finding while I'm still struggling with how to just go forward in space or circle around a planet to land in a different area. It reminds me a lot of The Witness in that it continually makes me feel like the only guy in the room who doesn't get the joke.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to keep all this in mind. Thanks for such a detailed response. There's a good chance that this just isn't a game for me, which is shame for a lot of reasons. I love exploration and figuring things out when I can, but space as a setting kinda inherently both bores and confuses me so it's already an uphill battle. And it's a bummer to hear so many excited conversations about a game and all the things people are finding while I'm still struggling with how to just go forward in space or circle around a planet to land in a different area. It reminds me a lot of The Witness in that it continually makes me feel like the only guy in the room who doesn't get the joke.

The Witness was my game of the year that Year, Outer Wilds is my game of the year this year.
So yeah, i would just say maybe its just not for you.

The ending is worth seeing, even if the game is not for you. Probably wont hit as hard if you don't go through the realizations of it all.

i would say if you feel that suck just look at something like this https://wiiare.in/19720-outer-wilds-spoilerfree-hints-solutions/
to get you to the next step of the chain.

But everything you need is there. The game isn't like myst or something where the solutions are just crazy. Most of it (except maybe one thing at the end) just requires enough poking and realizations

(but yeah, that jumping section above the black hole is definitely the worst part of the game)

Id also say if you are having trouble with controls, maybe just spend one full cycle just fucking around. No stress. Just practice.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019
I'm assuming the Dated Video is going to be a Playdate of Shenmue 3. I'd love to be wrong and have it be the Shenmue 2 ER and they are keeping the title just the date.... but that seems like it'd be too far fetched.

Also, I think saying "The game isn't for you" is a copout. Any game can be for anyone if you put forth effort into it. Try any approach something with a different mindset and appreciate it for what it is. Unless it is something that goes against your beliefs or moral code, you can just not like something. I don't like Dark Souls, I'm not great at the combat, I think it's boring and relies on too much trial and error and memorization, but I'd never say "It's not for me".

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds also reminded me of The Witness, mostly in the usage of knowledge as gatekeeping. I eventually lost interest in The Witness because inherently the only thing you were ever going to find was more line puzzles and that was not enough to drive me forward. Outer Wilds has so much lore to find and cool interesting locations and concepts to uncover that I wanted to comb through every single planet and find as much as possible.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds has 3 moment of the year contenders for me.

1) Watching the universe explode
2)
The Quantum Moon
3) The End

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I'm assuming the Dated Video is going to be a Playdate of Shenmue 3. I'd love to be wrong and have it be the Shenmue 2 ER and they are keeping the title just the date.... but that seems like it'd be too far fetched.

Also, I think saying "The game isn't for you" is a copout. Any game can be for anyone if you put forth effort into it. Try any approach something with a different mindset and appreciate it for what it is. Unless it is something that goes against your beliefs or moral code, you can just not like something. I don't like Dark Souls, I'm not great at the combat, I think it's boring and relies on too much trial and error and memorization, but I'd never say "It's not for me".
Have you read gaming side ever?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The Witness was my game of the year that Year, Outer Wilds is my game of the year this year.
So yeah, i would just say maybe its just not for you.

The ending is worth seeing, even if the game is not for you. Probably wont hit as hard if you don't go through the realizations of it all.

i would say if you feel that suck just look at something like this https://wiiare.in/19720-outer-wilds-spoilerfree-hints-solutions/
to get you to the next step of the chain.

But everything you need is there. The game isn't like myst or something where the solutions are just crazy. Most of it (except maybe one thing at the end) just requires enough poking and realizations

(but yeah, that jumping section above the black hole is definitely the worst part of the game)

Id also say if you are having trouble with controls, maybe just spend one full cycle just fucking around. No stress. Just practice.
Outer Wilds also reminded me of The Witness, mostly in the usage of knowledge as gatekeeping. I eventually lost interest in The Witness because inherently the only thing you were ever going to find was more line puzzles and that was not enough to drive me forward. Outer Wilds has so much lore to find and cool interesting locations and concepts to uncover that I wanted to comb through every single planet and find as much as possible.
There is only one specific piece of knowledge in Outer Wilds I'd consider bullshit:
Having to sprint into the column of sand and look up after it's mostly passed to get inside the core of the Ash Twin was...dumb, and not particularly "fair" in a way the rest of the game wasn't.

Otherwise it was just a series of Best Moments over and over for like 20 hours.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Having to sprint into the column of sand after it's mostly passed to get inside the core of the Ash Twin was...dumb, and not particularly "fair" in a way the rest of the game wasn't.

Yeah, although I thought a patch ended up making that more clear.
because it definitely wasn't at launch, but I remember reading some patch notes that sounded like they tried to give more hints to that

I think we are having a semantic argument. I am not sure how saying, "yeah i just don't think you'd like it very much" is different. than saying "It maybe isn't for you"

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Outer Wilds has 3 moment of the year contenders for me.

1) Watching the universe explode
2)
The Quantum Moon
3) The End
4) the tenth time you fall into a black hole and throw your controller
5) knowing you never need to go to brittle hollow again

There is only one specific piece of knowledge in Outer Wilds I'd consider bullshit:
Having to sprint into the column of sand after it's mostly passed to get inside the core of the Ash Twin was...dumb, and not particularly "fair" in a way the rest of the game wasn't.

you're goddamn right about that because that small piece of information was the cause of me almost wanting to quit

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
God outer wilds is so fucking good. I spent entire runs just sitting still and watching what happens to planets as time moves on.

Quantum Moon is definitely huge, after all the work figuring out that puzzle I was like 'how could they possibly deliver with whatever I find here' and then they DID. last thing I expected was to meet an actual Nomai, and I love love love that she didn't fully explain things because she's just trying to figure out things like you are.

Another huge thing for me was when I died on the warp core mission. When the credits rolled I was shocked as everything clicked in place.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Outer Wilds finally justified buying a 360 controller for the PC version of Dark Souls all those years ago.

BearPawB

Oct 25, 2017
Also, yeah they added a way to fast foward time at some point:

• Players can now sleep at campfires to fast-forward time. This automatically becomes available after a few loops.
  • Updated writing, art, and level design across multiple planets to clarify the solution to the Ash Twin Project mystery:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
So only learning this because of the bombcast. Fuck yeah Amy Hennig doing something, anything, new. Been waiting forever for her next game. From being disappointed that it was going to be a set thing like Star Wars to being mad that it got canceled, to waiting hearing nothing about her doing anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Having to sprint into the column of sand and look up after it's mostly passed to get inside the core of the Ash Twin was...dumb, and not particularly "fair" in a way the rest of the game wasn't.

WRT that:

I learned about the various towers on that planet and how they worked by getting into the tower and looking up when it aligned with the other planet (IIRC it works the same for the other teleporters as well). The funny thing is, I believe I actually wanted to get to the Sun Station and misunderstood what tower that was so when I went into the broken tower and waited and waited, i basically lucked into getting into the center of the planet. But it made sense to me - you're in the teleport tower and when the ash passes over it, you're basically aligned with the planet itself and it teleports to the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.