• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
They cut a bunch of the fun categories last year. That was a bummer. The year in review is fine, but I wish they only did it for the "smaller" games they know won't "hang" in any category.

I'm pretty much completely over the debating side of GOTY. Especially when literally none of them ever have convincing arguments and it is always just who is the most stubborn.

I'd be quite happy for them to only do personal lists and scrap the consensus list all together.

I mean, Brad won by attrition against everyone in 2010 for best DLC after an hour of Vinny and crew trying to argue against it and him just being stubborn. It's always been this.

I would be totally ok if each coast had their own debates/awards for dozens of hours and the only cross-coast stuff being the actual top 10, plus a few videos.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I came to listen to Game of the Year. Not Year In Review. 9+ hours before any category deliberations is just tedium. At least do the fun categories on the early days or something. I want debate and deliberation, even if it's over something silly like "Best Shopkeeper" or "Best Surprise" or "Please Stop".

I'd also note that the 2018 format just killed all the fun categories in lieu of a tedious rundown of almost every game released. Even the Best Character category did not make the cut.
I could see where you're coming from if you're wanting more bloodshed and silliness(I'm a big fan of knives and murdering). To me I thought it was a welcome change of pace and it made for a more personal listen to me as I reflected on my own experiences and where I was in the year when I played a game they talked about. Since the approach to talk about a game was not confrontational, it made it easier to get into and reflect. However, I do think what you're saying is fair.

I was only sad that Best Character did not make it. In a year when we had the most best character, Arthur fuckin' Morgan. But also, Brad's passion when it came to RDR2 as he talked about it in various ways made up for it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
2018 was the best GoTYcast since 2012. Really dug the calmer discussions, and thought Abby and Greg were both great

I'd be fine with this year following a similar format. I just need them to bring back Best Character and Worst Game.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
GOTY suffers a lot lately from them feeling like GOTY is where they have some sort of obligation to literally talk about everything that came out during the year, which is probably partially the community's fault for years of "You forget about ____!" "You didn't mention ____!" and the whole project is much more interesting and stimulating to listen to when it's a heated discussion over singular big games with shared experience on the cast. I've always thought that GOTY would improve a lot if they just ditched the top ten list, since most of the time they argue incredibly pointlessly over placements in the 9 and 10 slots - just argue over a top three and it makes the entire process much less fatiguing and lets us focus on the games that are actually going to stick around. But maybe that's just me, honestly, I dunno.

Like, the year in review style is actually a really nice approach for starting the week of GOTY but by the end of it I find it so exhausting to listen to them argue about what #8 is going to be, or what personal favorite gets to wheel and deal its way into #10. That's why the personal and site-wide sides of GOTY should be much more strictly separated, IMO. I always felt like Ryan made that point so well in 2011's deliberations.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The "Best World" discussion was the best proof that they just talk about whatever nonsense to take up time instead of saying anything meaningful. The best part was Jeff looking at them in bewilderment like "what is wrong with you people".

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, nothing they do is going to appease everybody since we all want different stuff from GOTY.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see where you're coming from if you're wanting more bloodshed and silliness(I'm a big fan of knives and murdering). To me I thought it was a welcome change of pace and it made for a more personal listen to me as I reflected on my own experiences and where I was in the year when I played a game they talked about. Since the approach to talk about a game was not confrontational, it made it easier to get into and reflect. However, I do think what you're saying is fair.
I don't mind the idea of them running through all the year's big releases chronologically......but that needs to be like Day One. Not Day One, Day Two, and Day Three.

Ultimately I would rather have them talk about their own personal favorites and standouts, rather than feel this weird obligation to give perfunctory discussion to literally every B and C-list game that got published.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is going on sale this week for $20, so I finally tried the demo. Holy shit that intro and ending the demo right after you get the pig.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I don't mind the idea of them running through all the year's big releases chronologically......but that needs to be like Day One. Not Day One, Day Two, and Day Three.

Ultimately I would rather have them talk about their own personal favorites and standouts, rather than feel this weird obligation to give perfunctory discussion to literally every B and C-list game that got published.
I mean they only talked about games they played. It wasn't that they were obliged to talk about all the games in the year but if at least one person played a game then it will be heard about because otherwise there wouldn't be any other chance.
All this gloom about GotY should result in GBEra doing a top 10 worst GotY moments.
I'm super excited. This time of the year + GOTY content are some of my favorite times of the year.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is going on sale this week for $20, so I finally tried the demo. Holy shit that intro and ending the demo right after you get the pig.
It's a shame not many people gave that game a chance. Granted, it came at the end of the year(4th december, 2018) so I get it. What a banger of a game and soundtrack though.

listen to that fuckin' SAX.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I feel weirdly in the middle about the whole thing because I guess at the end of it all, I just kind of feel like the desire for the big recap of the entire calendar year of video games is just not really the same thing as the rest of GOTY in substance, but also at the same time I really like it. Like, people who complain about it not being GOTY are kind of justified in that since it was an incredibly chill part of last year's deliberations, but they were also not really at all deliberations so if that's what you want to year - to specifically debate the games they like the most against each other instead of doing some sort of video game roll call - then I get why it was a bummer.

My favorite staffer of gamebomb.ru.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
aDt8QYF.png

I mean the composer list on that game is scary as fuck

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Years are a construct set by our overlords in order to create an impending sense of expiration and the harsh truth that we are nothing more than products to be grinded through.

Free yourself of this construct and never worry about what is the best game of the year because a year is just a concept. We are a perpetually moving gradient with no defining stops in life.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
This year is one of the first in, like, ever, that I feel like I want to get some games finished before listening to the GOTY discussions and getting spoiled. Namely Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
It'll probably be one of those things where it gets a brief mention, then promptly forgotten about when they move onto the multiplayer and other stuff. To be fair, I don't expect them to go into a political analysis on why call of duty isn't great on a GOTY podcast. Just not the kinda thing they tend to do.

oh i'm not expecting political analysis at all. the proponents for this year's cod are jeff, dan, and abby. jeff is guilty of "corporations have always been like this what can you do" rhetoric when it comes to heavy issues like this, abby compartmentalizes the whole thing (like a lot of us are wont to do with problematic media) and has already stated that she doesn't want to engage with the single player at all because of what she's heard about the issue, and dan is dan.

but if they're going to bring up industry problems again with the hottest mess category and likely talk about blizzard's handling of the blitzchung mess, i don't think it's expecting too much of them to also bring up the cod stuff. also, alex, god bless his cold, empty heart, already showed he's willing to get openly political before in the goty podcasts with the palmer luckey/oculus bullshit!

i'm not asking them to provide trenchant critiques about the military entertainment complex. i know they're not political commentators. but if they're going to have a whole production about celebrating the games they enjoyed this year and criticizing the industry for its fuck-ups, and one of the games that's likely going to come up during the deliberations is both something they enjoyed and contributed to how fucked up the video game industry is, i think it's only fair that they call out that shit. with the reach and influence they have, especially with how much attention the gotycasts gets, it would be great if they don't give cod a pass.

i don't judge anyone for enjoying the cod, btw. i know they're well made games that for a lot of people feel good to play. but if you're aware of the role these games play in spreading imperialist propaganda, the very least you can do is acknowledge that. by all means praise the mechanics and visuals and audio design and the ~fun factor~. just don't let the political narratives go unchallenged.

anyway uh dark souls 3's spectacle, nostalgia, and challenge indulged the shallow "git gud" gamer in me so i think it's dope af

gina carano was alright in deadpool and haywire where she even played the lead from what i remember

baby yoda only exists on twitter

year recap is nice and chill and the calm before the storm (although i don't actually see this year being too contentious for the top 10)

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This year is one of the first in, like, ever, that I feel like I want to get some games finished before listening to the GOTY discussions and getting spoiled. Namely Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium.
They've already been casually dropping Outer Wilds puzzle spoilers on regular bombcasts, so you definitely should catch up on that. The right spoiler could reveal a huge chunk of the logic behind its mysteries.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I've been thinking it would be nice if they made a weekly show before GOTY where they sit down and play one of the big GOTY contenders for the entire episode so that when it comes to the actual talks everyone at least is familiar with how it looks, moves and sounds. Like that latest thanksgiving stream where Jeff just played more Mister games is ok but why not use that time to start preparing and reflecting on how the year went? It's like Six Scary Frights or whatever the name of that show is but you have a full coastal cast. It's pretty awful when they end up talking about a game in top 10 that one person has played and they all just kind of nod away because no one has touched it so I guess it's good?

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching ChipCheezum's LP of MGSV on the recommendation of that thread awhile back, 10/10 would also recommend, and it's kinda making me want to play the game again. It's such a massive game with some really bad problems, but seeing the open world shenanigans again brings back some fun memories.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nancy Drew game that Abby's been playing has a repetitive soundtrack but it kind of slaps. Some of it sounds like Elder Scrolls music.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo guys I have a bit of an awkward social situation going on:

This guy at my gym, super nice dude, was telling me about his depression/anxiety/anger issues, and I, having gone through all of that shit (either by myself or via family members), told him he could talk to me anytime. I guess this meant something to him because today out of nowhere he sent me a text saying he bought me a pair of SBD knee sleeves, which are essentially the best you can possibly get. So here's the problem:

1. I feel really fucking awkward accepting gifts, especially one that's decently expensive.
2. I rarely even squat with knee sleeves anymore since I'm doing so much high volume work as of late, so he'll probably never see me wear them.
3. I didn't open that dialogue with him for good guy points. I saw a lot of myself in what he was going through and knew he might not have a great support system, because even if you have family/friends they often don't get it.

So I sent him a text saying, "dude thanks! But I'm going to feel super guilty if you don't let me reimburse you." Which was probably not the right thing to say, but I didn't want to have too large of a gap between him telling me he bought the sleeves and me responding.

What do you dudes think?

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yo guys I have a bit of an awkward social situation going on:

This guy at my gym, super nice dude, was telling me about his depression/anxiety/anger issues, and I, having gone through all of that shit (either by myself or via family members), told him he could talk to me anytime. I guess this meant something to him because today out of nowhere he sent me a text saying he bought me a pair of SBD knee sleeves, which are essentially the best you can possibly get. So here's the problem:

1. I feel really fucking awkward accepting gifts, especially one that's decently expensive.
2. I rarely even squat with knee sleeves anymore since I'm doing so much high volume work as of late, so he'll probably never see me wear them.
3. I didn't open that dialogue with him for good guy points. I saw a lot of myself in what he was going through and knew he might not have a great support system, because even if you have family/friends they often don't get it.

So I sent him a text saying, "dude thanks! But I'm going to feel super guilty if you don't let me reimburse you." Which was probably not the right thing to say, but I didn't want to have too large of a gap between him telling me he bought the sleeves and me responding.

What do you dudes think?
If he doesn't let you reimburse him, I would say don't push it. For some people, giving a gift seems like a much easier way for them to say "thanks" than something heartfelt. The hard part is its something he would see you wearing.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
They should do Game of the Year like they did with the Worst 80's Songs: Take suggestions for the worst game, rank them for a few hours and whatever is at the bottom of the list wins.

Oct 27, 2017

Dogpostsonly

Oct 23, 2019
Don't worry everyone I fixed goty. They just got to make longform video skits about them debating the categories whilst they play various games live and ultimately come to no conclusion but make the audio available as podcast form. Then at the end you click a link which auto generates a top 10 for you to get mad or happy about.

Hope you enjoyed my idea I worked very hard on it!
-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.