• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Late guess for the Best Moment/Sequence category, and shoutouts to Blitzrules240 :

Like, haha, it's funny because the guy is doing a joke song from the 80s about Jesse.

But also, that's right near the end, that's the character of Darling pushing you through and giving you hope to beat the thing (which gets tough) at the 11th hour. It's a littile kick in the ass and a smile along the way. Like, it works on both a meta level of being a late game jokey thing with a character that would fit it and a narrative thing that "hey, this scientist who lost his goddamn mind would reach forward to try to pump up someone who might actually fix things in this fucked up building."

Control is a very good game.

🧨

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
The only reason Dante was fun to play as in DMC5 was because the new weapons having quasi dial combos made it viable to play him like a Platinum character.

And from a story perspective he has nothing interesting to contribute anymore, it's the Goku problem of the legacy protagonist (and by proxy most popular character) being the most boring member of the main cast.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 sorta falls into the same issue a lot of those games do regarding wider influence, there's very different ways to consume them. The ones who bleed for the series get really into every single aspect of the combat, which then means playing through it 3, 4, 5+ times as you ascend the difficulty levels and chase higher ranks. In that sense, DMC5 is incredible as you see what they achieved with Dante alone, how much the player has to really work with, and with this one specifically learning Nero, Dante and V (though V is a lot more mixed).

But most people, and I would imagine especially with journalists, will one and done the game. Pick it up, run through and see the story. For that, DMC is...okay? Though the cutscenes felt less crazy than usual, the game is still pretty wacky, but it then makes issues like half the game being in an ugly flesh hallway stand out more. The whole game went pretty hard on the fanservice route with the Vergil stuff also.

It's pretty much the exact type of game that will always get snubbed for award shows. Very mechanically focused games that don't offer much else usually fall in the same pit, like fighting games, which seem to never get talked about beyond Netherrealm who pump out the cinematic story modes along with it. The bayonettas of the world might grab some nominations and maybe a few wins, but it's pretty much always going to get overshadowed by more traditional stuff.

I'm still not really sure if I'd put DMC5 above RE2 or not, but I'm definitely not surprised RE2 is the capcom game this year getting attention.

I still think it was a huge missed opportunity to not have bloody palace have online co-op. Like there's already a mission in the game that's SUPER short, tied into their weird online thing that was just descending down different floors and fighting. It felt like it was laying the groundwork but then they didn't do anything with it.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya like I said, DMC (and character action games) are kinda game press poison. Games built to be replayed and mastered, not just pick up, play, and move on.

The only reason Dante was fun to play as in DMC5 was because the new weapons having quasi dial combos made it viable to play him like a Platinum character.

And from a story perspective he has nothing interesting to contribute anymore, it's the Goku problem of the legacy protagonist (and by proxy most popular character) being the most boring member of the main cast.

Story wise, ya, of course he has that issue, but I'd still say Dante is maybe the best playing *anything* in any action game. The level of creativity and expression his moveset allows for is unmatched, even against Bayonetta. Dante and his style switch system is just some crazy nonsense and I love it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ya like I said, DMC (and character action games) are kinda game press poison. Games built to be replayed and mastered, not just pick up, play, and move on.

Story wise, ya, of course he has that issue, but I'd still say Dante is maybe the best playing *anything* in any action game. The level of creativity and expression his moveset allows for is unmatched, even against Bayonetta.

Yeah, it's a bummer but I don't think there's really anything about the situation that can change. Not everyone will be into the type of game that asks you to dig really deep into it, so most goty lists end up with "safe" games.

I guess that's part of the reason why there's always so many categories, but genres get smeared so much that those get pretty dumb as well.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a bummer but I don't think there's really anything about the situation that can change. Not everyone will be into the type of game that asks you to dig really deep into it, so most goty lists end up with "safe" games.

I guess that's part of the reason why there's always so many categories, but genres get smeared so much that those get pretty dumb as well.

Ya. It's a bummer, for sure, but not something I'm like bitter or angry about (okay maybe a little bit bitter DMC will never get the wide acclaim I think it deserves). It's still a miracle DMCV even got made and it's genuinely one of, if not, *the* best character action game this generation and maybe one of the best games this gen period. I'm happy it even exists.

Oct 29, 2019
The next OT title should be something that will stand up to the test of time a bit. Jeff's admiration for Temporary Secretary will be hilarious for a good long time, while the other toilet humor choices are already lame and old and not relevant. I don't even see how it could be anything else honestly.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Shitters vs Secretaries
tumblr_pppdknOL2i1y9urzoo1_250.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off of DMCV after after a few hours.

I'm just not the type to learn combos in that type of game, and there's really nothing of value outside of that combat system. The presentation values are sharp, and are technically gorgeous, but the art and level design could not have been more dull.The entire game is set either on a gray road or a red hallway.

I can see why the DMC fans dig it, and that's really what's important. That type of game just isn't for me.

all I'm saying is, DmC was better

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
Personaly I'm realy bummed that everyone's so lukewarm on Astral Chain bc I loved how Platinum brought a lot of Okami style adventure game elements back into their action game house style.
And anyting people realy had to say about it was that the story wasn't as interesting as it had the potential to be, or that the combat wasn't as complex as their other output.

It apperantly sold well and they seemed interested in making sequels so I hope it sticks around, but again just bummed out the adventure game elements didn't resonate with more people.

i love platinum games but astral chain's main problem was that it wasn't fun to play partially because it was stuffed full of half-baked stuff. the visual design and the lackluster story that didn't go anywhere and took way too long to not go anywhere didn't help.

That's what I'm trying to convey, that I love and cherished all that half-baked stuff and I'm bummed to be alone in that opinion.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i love platinum games but astral chain's main problem was that it wasn't fun to play partially because it was stuffed full of half-baked stuff. the visual design and the lackluster story that didn't go anywhere and took way too long to not go anywhere didn't help.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the Astral plains, it is so boring and ugly to look at. Every time I had to go in there, I lost interest in playing in the game. It also doesn't help that the platforming sucks and that the puzzles are completely uninteresting.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Unforunately they barely got halfway through the campaign so I reckon it's not worth starting :(

It was 95% great - the moves where they take 10 minutes to decide what to do were a bit frustrating. But really terrific overall. If only they'd finished it...

That was halfway through the campaign? Man that makes them stopping hurt even more.

... I should install xcom 2

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many small yet deadly flaws in Control that everyone but Jeff picked up on for it to be number 1, but I think he can use executive order to get it up to the third slot

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the Astral plains, it is so boring and ugly to look at. Every time I had to go in there, I lost interest in playing in the game. It also doesn't help that the platforming sucks and that the puzzles are completely uninteresting.

its a game with interesting elements to it but it kind of dinged the platinum fan in me a little on it. very kitchen-sink kind of game with not a great amount of thought as to how it all hung together imho

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
hum. i don't know any of the new thread title references.

maybe the goatse one. dan kept drawing goatse in his tee KO shirt designs?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
lol... Of course Felicia Day is in The Rookie... I'm pretty sure I have only ever seen her with Nathan Fillion.

May 5, 2018
So with the Beastcast having their own question podcast tomorrow, I wonder if they'll read my dumb question about watching Christmas Movies for Film and 40s in November? I've said this before, but Santa's Slay for Film and 40's has to happen.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Blitzmas 2019: Best of May
apps.49740.68306748966338141.e6f96fac-aa67-4f59-9043-10654607aa79.4bb59d7f-53c0-43d1-9ef2-20f2de8e893a

A Plague Tale: Innocence
was low key my game of the year as of the end of May 2019. A Plague Tale combined a story of sibling dynamics across a dreadful plague of rodents. The gameplay combined elements of stealth and puzzle solving as you played as Amicia and Hugo Del Rune as you took on swarms of rats and the Spanish Inquisition. More elemental attacks were added as the game progressed and the story stayed solid throughout my play through.

Plague Tale does take some adventurous creative liberties in its later portions which lead to some WTF moments but overall is a solid game all around that I full heartedly enjoyed. It was the first game of 2019 to leave an impact on me and I will cherish this game for that reason. A Plague Tale: Innocence is the best game of May 2019 and one of my best games of 2019 overall.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
An honorable mention to Observation
observation-normalbanner-01-ps4-us-01oct2018

Observation
which also came out in May was one of the better games I played this year also but I liked a Plague Tale slightly more. Playing as a ship AI called SAM, Observation was an eerie but overall enjoyable sci-fi narrative where you performed functions as the ship AI, solving puzzles by navigating cameras, punching in key codes and solving the mysteries of Observation.

Just a unique and enjoyable gameplay experience I'm glad I took part in.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yea that's the tweet. I was trying to find it in my history but I forgot tweets viewed in TweetDeck don't show up there.

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely can't see Control, nor Outer wilds making it to number one.
Control, too many of them seemed to have issues in the mid to late game.
Outer Wilds, I got the feeling that this was only loved by the beast crew. West wasn't sold on it.

Watch it be Apex, it's the one game that everyone fell into.

I hope dmc v doesn't get a mention. Game was overrated. Personally disliked every minute of it.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Should we be expecting the same stale "holiday" themed content like the last 3 years for this upcoming goty season?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If they're not wearing ugly xmas shirts during the holiday streams, is it really a holiday stream at all?

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The good news is, going by the closure announcement, it seems like the employees are shifting over to Metacritic. No one appears to be losing a job.
Hope so. I worry that they're just waiting till the press will blow over in about a year to start the layoffs.

Speaking of,, the Viacom merger worries me greatly. We will see changes, it's just a matter of what and when, and they could even be good. I am incredibly curious what Jeff's strategy going into this merger is.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, and for the Content Discourse™ from before, I'm really curious to know how the folks that think GB should be a content mill see their average work day going.

Like, clock in at 9 am. Start up stream and make Quick Looks.
11 am. Begin new premium feature.
1 pm. Record mailbag and take a break (that is not recorded)
2pm. coordinate and catch up with other coast during a cross-coast premium podcast
4pm. unprofessional workdays
6pm - end of work day-- 15 hours until next content drop. any prep time cutting into content time can come out of this slot.

Which would make them hyperproductive, creating 2 hours of quick looks, 6 hours of a premium features and a mailbag every day. But... why?

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally it would be
East:
9AM-5PM: Shenmue 2 ER
West:
9AM-1PM:PokeMonday Night Combat
1PM-5PM:Jan Can Cook (Ben Appetit)
Jeff:
Locked in a room with his MiSTer

Neodyn

Mar 23, 2019
Those schedules are absurd. They should be on rotating six hours shifts 24/7 so someone is always streaming to entertain me at whatever hour I demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.