• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• TEMPORARY. SECRETARY.

Votes: 139 35.1%
  • I Wanna Sit Back And Do Jack Fuck

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • I Can't Read, Bro!

Votes: 81 20.5%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 123 31.1%
  • It Came Out Like A Poop

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • You Goatse'd A Question Mark

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • I Managed To Like Captain Dong's Electric Trike

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
The thing that makes these kinds of grumpy posts look so bananas is the fact that Giant Bomb literally has an upcoming section on the website. It only lists things set in stone (so, it won't list UPF/podcasts a month in advance even though it's probably happening) but it's still a heads up.

Now, the content bugbears just feel like a fool's errand to chase. Folks (not specifically you) are demanding: more, better, content; longer content; content focused on old games; content not focused on old games; content exclusively #newreleases; content that is 'fun'; impromtu #content; long-term #content; more #premiumfeatures; more interactions with fans; more #highenergy content; more features featuring person X; less content featuring person X; and so on. The long and short of it is, everyone has their own personal, idealised vision of what 'good content' is, and any attempt to appease one person would leave someone else out in the cold.

Which is why what y'all are demanding is really that GB become a content mill. Only bananapants work hours would stand any chance of satisfying all these contradictory demands. And even then someone would be upset because 'person X is getting too much/not enough content' relative to the rest, and the cycle begins anew.

The reality is, Giant Bomb has a steady drip of content, and a massive free and premium vault. Every member of GB does all they can to satisfy their subscribers (and fans) and I think it shows. So for the small price they're asking to support their efforts, I happy pay it because I am satisfied--and at times, overjoyed--to see them continue their work.

I won't say "unsubscribe", because, frankly, if you want to pay for someone you don't enjoy, go for it; it's your money to waste. But beyond that, it feels toxic to use that patronage as a cudgel to try and change what Giant Bomb is--and has always been. At a certain point you have to accept that it is not they who changed, but you.

It may be painful to hear, but the customer is not always right.
This argument has been going on for years and there is never any consensus. The one constant is that the people who aren't happy clash with the people who are, and the people that don't have any issues with the site generally advise those who do that they changed. This explanation that hey man you changed not them so just move on with your life because I'M still having a blast - that sort of hand waving can be particularly annoying for someone that still loves the site and has genuine, level headed complaints. I know I have my gripes with it and I still have the same taste as ever AND I can clearly see how the site changed to bring on those gripes. I also know better than to complain because my particular issues have no chance of getting resolved.

Over the years it has become quite clear that Jeff isn't all that interested in the opinion of the user base when it comes to steering the website. I'm not saying this in anger or bitterness - it's just how it is. I mean he built it from scratch so it's his dang right to do as he pleases. I have a lot of respect for Jeff in how he bounced back from a bad situation and made something like GB the place it is today. Of course that same approach is one of the reasons the website isn't really growing as much as it could, because they don't really like listening to feedback.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Ya like I said, DMC (and character action games) are kinda game press poison. Games built to be replayed and mastered, not just pick up, play, and move on.

if this was the case then the new hitman, xcom, civilization, and total war games wouldn't be as well received as they are

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
They should use the money CBS saved by reducing the number of shitters to bring Austin back.

Also, the amount of content is fine. Who has the time to watch 2 or 3 plus hours of people playing video games per day?

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I voted for "I Can't Read, Bro!" because I feel it can also be a commentary on most of Resetera not reading OPs and other people's posts when quoting t hem.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On this Beastcast Dan again talks about his fear of hanging stuff. He needs to use picture hanging strips. They're what I use and they're great.

Last edited:

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They should use the money CBS saved by reducing the number of shitters to bring Austin back.

Also, the amount of content is fine. Who has the time to watch 2 or 3 plus hours of people playing video games per day?
If you turn off every video as soon as you see the MiSTer it becomes much more manageable.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Using the upcoming box as an example of positive communication with fans on their schedule is hilarious. It often leads to more confusion than clarity.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I love every single time Dan brings up buying a house and thinking it will be super simple and Bakalar just gets so angry.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I love how everyone here takes "I'd wish they'd talk to us about a schedule and I think the content is lacking".... which is an absolutely fine criticism of a product we pay for, blown completely out into hyperbole.

From last night, we were saying how we'd like a bit more communication. Not saying they have to give us a minute by minute update every day of the week. Everyone uses the Vinny quote from Gaf as the only example of them actually saying what one of them does, and it was hardly a normal week. It was the week they got back from two weeks being at E3 and they had to build the desk that kept falling apart. Again, not really a normal week. Also from a video producer, which seems to be a very different job than the rest of the crew.

Content updates. No one was saying they need to post a moment by moment update, a quick couple minues taken out of the bombcast or Beastcast at the begining of the month to put out would be nice, not a rush of "hey, we'll be doing some stuff, now lets get out of here ---- Music outro cue" that they usually try and fly through at the end sometimes. Heck, maybe put the newsletter to good use and just give a "here is what we have planned for the month! Make sure you stay subscribed!" that would take all of a few minutes to type up and would be a great way to keep people coming back.

Same with just content output in general. We don't need thousands of streams or even every day, but something a bit concrete (which would go hand in hand with the planning thing) of just SOMETHING on a certain day.
Monday: Hour long stream of Jeff's MiSTer Home Game
Tuesday: Bombcast Live and AfterShow
Wednesday: Beast Playdate - Dan's Major Mask Meltdown feat. Majora's Mask
Thursday: Jeff Gerstman Pro Skater 4
Friday: 12-2 East: Beast in the East Kawami
3-5 Westcoast: UPF

See, that's not even really adding anything new, just letting people know what to expect. Sure, there might have to be a last minute change, and everyone understands that, but I'd be so psyched to know that I can just kinda expect a certain feature to be there waiting for me when I come home for work. Instead of just winging everything and never commuting to anything ever (West mostly, Beast is usually pretty amazing on the content side)

No one from last night was making crazy demands, it was all reasonable. Just a bit more communication would go so so so far. Jar Times were awesome and they all but have done away completely with that. The interaction with the fans is very shallow and usually ends up to a handful of softball stuff on the aftershow, like "What do you like, ketchup or dirt on your hotdog" Just kinda pointless talk. A once in a great while state of the site address would be rad but I highly doubt that will ever happen. We just want the site to be the best that it can be, and I honestly don't think it's anywhere near that. Some others might, but I have higher expectations of the site than that. Nothing unreasonable, but somewhere that I can be proud to say "I sub to Giant Bomb" . When I look at the interactions with fans, and the communities of other sites like Easy Allies, or Game Attack, or heck even most YouTube and Twitch Streamers, it just makes me look at GB and see all the negative issues right high above the good lately.

That being said, I'm done with posting here for a bit probably. Every time this issue gets brought up, I feel like we are not allowed to have any, frankly fair, criticism of the site that most of us pay money for at all. Anyone who voices their opinion is looked at like a crazy person. And every response comes back as a massive overreaction and just makes those OPs never want to respond.

I'm sure everyone will just gloss over this and respond with a "well the site might just not be for you". Which I'll respond with "Why? What changed? Because when I subbed back in 2012 it was because I loved Jeff and the rest of the crew hanging out, having good times and talking about and playing video games. Is that not still the site?" Anyways, have an awesome Christmas everyone, I can't wait for GOTY, It seems like a very interesting year for Video Games and I honestly have no clue what the list will be.

This post goes on a bit but picking out some perfectly reasonable issues and sensationalising them into something else that suggests there has been abuse that demands Giant Bomb throw their families in a volcano and shit out videos while chained to a PC is definitely a trend from the people in here who cant stand to see Giant Bomb get any sort of criticism.

"Maybe send out an email once in a while or update supporters like people on Patreon do" becomes "wow you want Giant Bomb to open a video sweat shop"?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I know Alex is mostly a US trucker, but still, there's new trucking CONTENT.

ABOUT THIS CONTENT
Road to the Black Sea brings three new European regions. Drivers will be able to expand their company and deliver to the countries of Romania, known for the forested region of Transylvania and the surrounding Carpathian Mountain range, Bulgaria with its diverse terrain and Black Sea coastline, and the Trakya region of Turkey which is the gateway to Europe's largest city, Istanbul.

A significant parts of Road to the Black Sea map are composed of dense urban areas. From large cities to small humble villages found in the countrysides, truckers will also be able to drive on roads which lead to scenic coastlines alongside the Black Sea.

These regions offer a large variety of industries for players to deliver to and from; including farms, logistics companies, mining and steel industries.

Key Features
  • Romania, Bulgaria, and the European part of Turkey to explore
  • Border crossings - including feature-rich border controls
  • River ferry over the Danube (Dunaj)
  • 20 new major populated cities with garages
  • Europe's largest city, Istanbul
  • Multitude of smaller towns and settlements
  • Over 10,000 kilometers of roads to drive on
  • 22 new companies to drive for
  • 11 new local company docks and industries
  • Most famous landmarks and recognizable places
  • Detailed characteristic Balkan architecture
  • Wide range of brand new unique 3D-assets
  • Lush typical regional vegetation
  • Local AI trains, trams, and traffic cars
  • Horse carts - for Bulgarian and Romanian countrysides
  • Black Sea region achievements to unlock

Last edited:

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
This post goes on a bit but picking out some perfectly reasonable issues and sensationalising them into something else that suggests there has been abuse that demands Giant Bomb throw their families in a volcano and shit out videos while chained to a PC is definitely a trend from the people in here who cant stand to see Giant Bomb get any sort of criticism.

"Maybe send out an email once in a while or update supporters like people on Patreon do" becomes "wow you want Giant Bomb to open a video sweat shop"?
Pretty much

People subscribe to GB for different reasons, I do it to support their annual events - so it would be appreciated if they just kept us more informed. I don't think a quick "hey guys, two weeks in SF takes a toll on us, so don't expect any cross coast podcasts this year, but instead we'll do XYZ etc" is a lot of ask, instead of it just being another thing that quietly disappears like GDC interviews or E3 show floor stuff.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
Pretty much

People subscribe to GB for different reasons, I do it to support their annual events - so it would be appreciated if they just kept us more informed. I don't think a quick "hey guys, two weeks in SF takes a toll on us, so don't expect any cross coast podcasts this year, but instead we'll do XYZ etc" is a lot of ask, instead of it just being another thing that quietly disappears like GDC interviews or E3 show floor stuff.
Speaking of events, did they ever say anything about The Big Live Live show they used to do like every year? is that ever coming back? was so much fun ^^

Sep 12, 2018
re: Beastcast discussion I'd get rid of South Park before Family Guy in a heartbeat. Hell you could make the case that South Park led to the edgy randomness of Family Guy in some regard.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re: Beastcast discussion I'd get rid of South Park before Family Guy in a heartbeat. Hell you could make the case that South Park led to the edgy randomness of Family Guy in some regard.
Tough. South Park probably had more good episodes than Family Guy, which has zero, but it's also edgy centrist nonsense and transphobic to boot.

So fuck 'em both, but I'd get rid of South Park if I had to choose, because fuck enlightened centrism. People watch South Park and actually get their political takes from it, so it's ultimately more harmful imo.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Gamerankings, one of GB's sister sites is shutting down in a few days. The announcement was made today. Makes sense, as Metacritic sort of made it superfluous.

The good news is, going by the closure announcement, it seems like the employees are shifting over to Metacritic. No one appears to be losing a job.
Do not ask me why because I couldn't tell you but I was somehow a GameRankings loyalist since I was using that site way, way past time everyone had moved on to MetaCritic so this makes me sad.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alex saying he would prefer a world where there were no Seth MacFarlane contributions reminded me how that guy was booked to be on one of the flights that were flown into the WTC so we indeed came very close to living in that world. If parallel worlds are a thing its probably the one like right next to our's.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about his comedies, but The Orville is the best current version of Star Trek. It's first couple episodes doesn't know whether it's trying to be a comedy or a sci-fi show but once it dives in to the characters and makes the comedy secondary the show found it's footing and became really good.

Sidenote: Pizza Hut is garbage besides their breadsticks. Somehow they even fucked up bringing back the P'zone.

Dan's not associating Pizza Hut with the sit down places is completely weird especially when he's talking about when he was a kid and when it was best known for all it's sit down aspects. The design of the building, the cups, the salad bar. They most certainly used to be the sit down of pizza places.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about his comedies, but The Orville is the best current version of Star Trek. It's first couple episodes doesn't know whether it's trying to be a comedy or a sci-fi show but once it dives in to the characters and makes the comedy secondary the show found it's footing and became really good.

Sidenote: Pizza Hut is garbage besides their breadsticks. Somehow they even fucked up bringing back the P'zone.
How?

It's a God damned calzone.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
How?

It's a God damned calzone.

I would say they fucked up how the P'zone used to be. They took it away for a long time and recently brought it back. It's smaller, more crust than filling, they changed the coating and seasoning on top. Overall it's just worse than it used to be before they took it away. My guess is it started to cost too much how it was made for the price they were trying to sell it at.

Sep 12, 2018
ELCxbBcUUAARe9F

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say they fucked up how the P'zone used to be. They took it away for a long time and recently brought it back. It's smaller, more crust than filling, they changed the coating and seasoning on top. Overall it's just worse than it used to be before they took it away. My guess is it started to cost too much how it was made for the price they were trying to sell it at.
Yeah, that sounds like they brought it back, designed it to be cheaper to make because the margins are already thin, and ruined it in the process.

The dream of the Lo Cal P'zone Cal Zone is over, another thing that the millennials supposedly killed.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Do yanks order much pizza hut?

They pretty much have no presence here.

I still don't know many people that actually order pizza hut. Pizza hut around me is still very much seen as the place you go when you want a sit down place but also still want pizza.

Smaller mom and pop pizza places get ordered around here more than any real chain besides Donatos, which is still a more local chain.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know many people that actually order pizza hut. Pizza hut around me is still very much seen as the place you go when you want a sit down place but also still want pizza.

Smaller mom and pop pizza places get ordered around here more than any real chain besides Donatos, which is still a more local chain.
I've never been in a sitdown Pizza Hut. The few times I've had Pizza Hut has only been through delivery.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been in a sitdown Pizza Hut. The few times I've had Pizza Hut has only been through delivery.

Do you not have many pizza places around you? I'm genuinely curious if it's a lack of choice thing or something along those lines.

I could probably list 10 places that would deliver pizza to me and I'm not even in a major city and I'm somewhat out of the way from a smaller city. Surprisingly none of those places would be large franchises because most of them are more in the city and won't deliver far enough for me. Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominoes all I can't really get by me, but I wouldn't really order them anyways because of just how many pizza places I have in a smaller city. Out of all of these pizza places there are really only 2 that have a sit down presence that isn't just a couple tables in front of a walk up area. Which is why around here Pizza Hut is more seen as a sit down place, than ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.