• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• Babby On Twitter

Votes: 36 12.1%
  • Good Luck Vinny

Votes: 94 31.6%
  • When Someone Pings The Heavy Ammo, I Don't Feel Like They Care About Me As A Person

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 87 29.3%
  • A Dark Hedgehog With A Fucking Machine Gun

Votes: 21 7.1%
  • Lol

Votes: 16 5.4%
  • SMART GAME GOING BAMMER

Votes: 25 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
also, is there anything in particular i should get with this epic store $10 coupon? I was thinking about manifold garden.

I was also considering getting donut county on Switch for $9 bucks since I'm going on vacation soon and it seems like a fun plane game

Oct 27, 2017
How does saving in Outer Wilds work? It's hard to ask this question without spoiling a pretty cool early reveal (within the first half hour).

Does it only save after the loop ends?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
How does saving in Outer Wilds work? It's hard to ask this question without spoiling a pretty cool early reveal (within the first half hour).

Does it only save after the loop ends?

yeah, but honestly,
you can get pretty much anywhere in the galaxy within about 3-5 minutes from the start (barring some of the places where you generally need to figure out something before you discover a shortcut/etc)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
also, is there anything in particular i should get with this epic store $10 coupon? I was thinking about manifold garden.

I was also considering getting donut county on Switch for $9 bucks since I'm going on vacation soon and it seems like a fun plane game
I'm mighty tempted by Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, myself.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
LAID BACK CAMP IS BACK

...IN ROOM FORM

*sorry no subs yet

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it's really annoying that the epic store a) still puts prices in USD instead of in my local currency AUD for me and b) really doesn't like my credit card for overwrought antifraud protection or something, so i have to use paypal

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
In the day 2 deliberations during that Mario Maker segment where Jeff specifically mentions how bad the interface and online stuff is and then comments that as people who have built websites over the years to them it's like "how could they get this so wrong" ..man considering the GB website redesign that is really rich.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hi its me, the idiot who is literally going overseas in two days so i decided to buy a shitload of pc games today for some reason

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i beat control just in time to hear all of the control talk during this day's goty episode.

to say that ending felt abrupt would be an understatement.
the game has bosses, so it's kinda confusing how the last stretch didn't have a proper one at all.

i didn't plan on this, but i actually ended up doing all the sidequests, and because of that i had upgraded all the weapons, got all the highest-tier mods for jesse and her guns, and maxed out almost the entire skill tree, with the melee upgrade the only one left untouched. so i did not at all get the complaints about the checkpointing for the final stretch of the game because i just did it all in one go. i felt like a demigod just crushing everything.

hell, for all the hype the ashtray maze got, it didn't ~blow me away~.
when the crew said the encounters there were more interesting, i didn't feel the same way because i just disposed of the enemies there as easily as i did during the previous main missions. aesthetically though, yeah, that section is rad in a way that's distinct from the rest of the game. it was more cathartic and kickass because of what was going on around me while i wasted everyone than some revelatory experience that made me think differently on how i played the game.

i did the mirror sidequest last as well, so the boss didn't stand a chance.

but because i did most of the sidequests as they became available, i did struggle with a couple of the optional bosses, particularly the ones for the anchor and mold sidequests.

100% in agreement with brad on how some enemies just have these absolutely devastating attacks that can catch you off-guard and close to death. there's a disconnect in the difficulty of the story missions and the sidequests because i mostly cruised through the story missions that whenever i tackled a sidequest, i'd be in the same mode of being super aggro, which didn't work nearly as well for the optional bosses. i actually got great use out of the shield for those fights!

in the moment, i was getting really frustrated with those two bosses, but looking back on them now and how i got better and better after each try, i appreciate how their attack patterns got more complex, required faster reaction times, and made you really aware of the environment and mob control, which none of the later main missions really required of me.

also, i'm with brad on the oceanview motel. love that shit. and just everything about the world-building. that thing about the nsc power plant
actually being a fucking sarcophagus for the previous director that's powering the entire building?
i had no idea, and that was cool as hell hearing about it. the universe they set up in this game and how it's delivered is unsettling and fascinating and makes me want to play even more story-related content. had i played alan wake, i might have been even more psyched! i am all in for a sequel.

last thing, i didn't have those "immersion-breaking" moments with the mission pop-ups because i turned that shit off immediately. i still don't get why some of these big developers don't let their games' huds auto-fade when you're not in the middle of combat! the game already gives you the option to turn off elements of the hud! it's so close to being perfect!

control: it's a mighty fine video game that has secured a spot in my top 10 of the year.

---

here's my completely original take that obviously no one else has on the goty format:

they shouldn't bother bringing up games none of them actually care that much about or at least have a strong negative opinion on. games like metro exodus, astroneer, far cry: new dawn, doa 6, the occupation, dauntless, that entire stretch from samsho to horace on this day, madden, and so many more titles all didn't need to be "talked about".

i don't think we'd lose anything if they didn't feel obligated to mention every single "notable" title that they touched. there's going to be one more day of that! i'd like to think if they were to just focus on the games they were truly passionate about during this yearly recap, they could have spent more time on either more fun, wacky awards or shooting one more group video, which i think would be more entertaining for everyone than a bunch of 2-4 minute perfunctory segments where each person from the staff gets to say a variation on "i don't have a lot to say about this/i haven't gone past what we did in the quick look".

i appreciated the entire crew gushing/complaining about and riffing on re2, kh3, apex, tetris 99, anthem, trials, the division 2, sekiro, mk11, bloodstained, judgment, super mario maker 2, remnant from the ashes, control, gears 5, and borderlands 3.

i think i will enjoy hearing the half-hour plus discussion on outer wilds when i get around to it

speaking of which, imma start playing that now

1 gift from Tiamatsword22

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from TiamatSword TiamatSword!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

TiamatSword said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• GOG GOG: KING OF DRAGON PASS - Won by Joeku Joeku (1 entry)

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Christmas duders

huQFDDr.gif

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Manifold Garden is over in 60 minutes and really didn't land for me.

OTOH, Division 2 for $5 USD is a super cheap way to burn like 50 hours

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the Brad video and I think it would've been better if they made three smaller videos out of it.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of doubt it, but it would be nice if Drew stopped by to be in one of their holiday videos. For being in SF he doesn't stop by often enough, but I'm sure he's busy.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This is a disappointing GOTY season because there just wasn't enough time, Thanksgiving was late this year and Beast had less time to travel.

It is what it is. The format will remain the same and we should all just get used to the new GOTY proceedings for the next decade.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Got a new Xbone controller and it had a trial for 14 days of Gamepass in the box and I converted it to Ultimate and got extended for a bunch of time so now for $1 I have Gamepass Ultimate until nearly June again. Sure, why not. I'm sure I'll play Blair Witch this time.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh now they're talking about madden and mainly the frostbite engine
that decision really fucked EA didn't it

To this day I wonder how Dragon Age Inquisition came out as polished as it was.

Yes it had the worst copy / paste fetch quests for side quests I have ever seen but technically that game was very pretty, ran great and was releases on every console available at the time that wasn't the Wii U.

It was the first, and the only time this Frostbite or Nothing push seemed to work out.

Everything since then that didnt have DICE attached has been a big old mess.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Pro strat: make a cat boy and a muscle girl then pay someone to write a story about how they go on adventures together then fuck.
i'll do that for free

"twas the afternoon of the WinterDay and there twas nary a stirring EXCCEPT in the loins of the Show'm the Cat Boy and Dani of Westla the Muscle Cat. oh what adventures they had just finished and there for it was kissing time"

i'd include more but my 724 page smooch scene wouldn't fit in one message apparently?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I wonder how Dragon Age Inquisition came out as polished as it was.

Yes it had the worst copy / paste fetch quests for side quests I have ever seen but technically that game was very pretty, ran great and was releases on every console available at the time that wasn't the Wii U.

It was the first, and the only time this Frostbite or Nothing push seemed to work out.

Everything since then that didnt have DICE attached has been a big old mess.
it was also held together by duct tape and the devs had an absolutely miserable time. i wouldn't say it worked out, although the end product came out more or less okay. all the time and energy spent wrangling frostbite probably could have been better spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.