• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

Votes: 159 42.0%
  • Got A Light?

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Shep Shep Is Gonna Ship Ship?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Good Game, Player!

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • We're Going From Four Shitters To Two!

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Those Dogs Was Fuckin'

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • It's A Lockdown, Baby

Votes: 175 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, here's that video mentioned earlier.

This is...sad.

Yes please do. Then teach me the secrets to going back to my own 19 year-old self! I have so much I want to tell him not to do!

You know, I don't know a whole lot about Hammett or any of these guys for that matter, but that's just wild. Almost came off as a comedy skit or something.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
J_Viper Switchfoot's "Meant to Live" is how I have tested literally all headphones I have ever worn, because the opening five seconds of the song are very clear in their left/right channel splits.

In what world is vodka cranberry a "girly" drink? People are weird...
Yeah, the idea was that anything with flavour was bad. The straights are fucked.

You know, I don't know a whole lot about Hammett or any of these guys for that matter, but that's just wild. Almost came off as a comedy skit or something.
Yeah, except it's real. This was actually them in like 2003 or 2004. What a time.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Metallica had a very rough patch in the mid 00... Not only with what is shown in SKOM but also just generally when playing live.

IMO Metallica is one of the best live band around but they fucking sucked live for a while. It was clear the they did not give a shit and never rehearsed the songs. This was especially apparent with Kirk who basically couldn't do most of the solos correctly anymore.

They have mostly come back to the top of their form in the last decade but Kirk still kinda sucks.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Metallica had a very rough patch in the mid 00... Not only with what is shown in SKOM but also just generally when playing live.

IMO Metallica is one of the best live band around but they fucking sucked live for a while. It was clear the they did not give a shit and never rehearsed the songs. This was especially apparent with Kirk who basically couldn't do most of the solos correctly anymore.

They have mostly come back to the top of their form in the last decade but Kirk still kinda sucks.
I think that was the case with almost every pre-90s metal band in that period. I really can't think of a single group that wasn't completely lost in that era.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

This makes the following extremely obvious:

Wrenches, Etheridge, leather penis, fire extinguisher specifics...

The first four albums from Metallica and like the most pristine things ever as manufactured things. S&M is a weird masterpiece that's hard to place but yet entirely works, but other than that, I've never enjoyed any of their live work. They just somehow don't have it outside of the studio IMO. Someone or another in the band doesn't give enough of a shit or is fucking up at all times.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Also, watching the making of for Hardwired is crazy in contrast to the St Anger stuff in SKOM... They are such in a better place now compared to 20 years ago...

Also James and Lars basically do everything and Kirk just comes in one afternoon to record all his solos.

www.youtube.com

The Making of "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct"

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It really fucking sucks that James had to go back to rehab recently, he seemed to be doing so good finally... I really hope he will pull through.

The first four albums from Metallica and like the most pristine things ever as manufactured works. S&M is a weird masterpiece that's hard to place but yet entirely works, but other than that, I've never enjoyed any of their live work. They just somehow don't have it outside of the studio IMO. Someone or another in the band doesn't give enough of a shit or is fucking up at all times.

Ah man I'm the complete opposite. I really love their studio stuff but I actually often prefer them live. I listened to my live playlist of them way more than the album one.

I agree about your ranking tho. The first four albums are masterpieces except for the part where I actually really dislike the production of Kill Em All. The songs are fucking great but James sound like he's singing in a tin can while sitting in a bathroom.

The following three are fucking incredible tho.

Black is... Ok...Meh

Load/Reload... Ugh... There's maybe 2-3 good songs between the two albums.

S&M was really great (and weirdly enough, how I really discovered the band) but it suffers from having been done in the late 90s which means that the setlist has a LOT of Load/Reload stuff.

St. Anger.... Ugh... There's actually 1-2 all right songs on that album imo but the dumbass snare completely destroys any kind of redeeming quality those might have. Again, they are better live.

Death Magnetic is mostly reaaaalllly good.

Hardwired is all right. Lots of meh/forgettable songs but both "Spit out the bone" and "Halo on Fire" are incredible.

Weirdly enough, I think my favorite song from the latest album actually is only on the deluxe version and it's a cover of an old Maiden song... I love the original from Iron Maiden but Metallica's version adds a lot of punch to it.

Last edited:

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
While we're all just chatting figured I'd just bring up two things.

Mountain Dew Zero Sugar: The taste of Mountain Dew muted with less sweetness but still refreshing and carbonated.

Ozzy Osborne's new album Ordinary Man: Fine for what it is, a rocking album with some okay songs, cherish Ozzy making music still.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't know that...that fucking sucks. Hope he can do it.
Yeah... I think he's officially out now (I saw a few articles about his first public appearances since) but the future is still uncertain for the band.

I saw the other day that they pushed back a bunch of shows originally scheduled for spring to the fall.

Alcohol is a bitch and like any other addictions, you never really get out of it for good.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Actually Megasoum I haven't heard a single thing past Death Magnetic (which I only mostly know because of the Guitar Hero game where I ate too much Greek food and threw up after playing a bunch of drums during it)...so can you suggest anything?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Actually Megasoum I haven't heard a single thing past Death Magnetic (which I only mostly know because of the Guitar Hero game where I ate too much Greek food and threw up after playing a bunch of drums during it)...so can you suggest anything?
Well "Hardwired... To self destruct" is the only other album release since DM.

As mentioned in my edit above, the Remember Tomorrow cover is amazing but as far as their actual original material, my two favorite songs from the album are :

Halo on Fire

And

Spit out the bone

I also like Hardwired

And Atlas Rise

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Well "Hardwired... To self destruct" is the only other album release since DM.

As mentioned in my edit above, the Remember Tomorrow cover is amazing but as far as their actual original material, my two favorite songs from the album are :

Halo on Fire

And

Spit out the bone

Alright, I will give these a shot tomorrow and report back. Kinda surprised they only had one album in 13 years, despite the addiction problems, too.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I will give these a shot tomorrow and report back. Kinda surprised they only had one album in 13 years, despite the addiction problems, too.
Yeah it was a long wait...

They did a few weird things between the two like a "Movie" (Through the Never) and the album Lulu which was a collaboration with Lou Reed and regarded as one of the worst piece of media ever recorded on disc to the point where even the band jokes about it now.

(Btw I edited my previous post with more videos)

Oct 27, 2017
Load and Reload are good albums. Obviously they're not Ride/Master/Justice but you can't expect an artist to stay still in time. I think Anthony Fantano probably put it best when he said, just consider how much crap hard rock was shat out in the mid-90s and all of it is forgotten, but Load and Reload still hold up fine. That says something for sure. Although I totally think they should have just picked the best tracks from each album and released one album rather than the two, because there are definitely 5 or 6 tracks we could've done without.

I think St. Anger was their last great record. Obviously much maligned, but I think the songs themselves are great. The production is garbage but the #StAnger2015 project shows how good the actual music is once you clean it up.

Magnetic and Hardwired have their moments but I think at this stage they're well past their ability to write a LP's worth of music. Hardwired probably should've been an EP, I think... there are some godawful songs on that thing, especially on the second disc 😂

My thoughts, anyway ☺️

Oct 27, 2017
At this stage we can safely say Deftones is the only band incapable of putting out a bad record. This will be tested again with their new album this year, but after 20+ years of activity they have, what... maybe 3 bad songs? Maybe 4? Remarkable stuff.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
This thread is bringing me back. I went through a huge Metallica phase 15 years ago. Ride the Lightning is still one of my favorite albums of all time. I forced my parents to listen to S&M when I was in highschool and they weirdly appreciated it

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
he also did master this drum pattern his first trip into the studio after a group of studio musicians couldn't do it without overdub

When you're this precise, it's not a surprise.

nzktUtz.gif

legend.
Oh, here's that video mentioned earlier.

This is...sad.
The Some Kind of Monster documentary is so fucking good.

For as bad as St.Anger is, it kind of had to happen.
Also, watching the making of for Hardwired is crazy in contrast to the St Anger stuff in SKOM... They are such in a better place now compared to 20 years ago...
Yeah. I cannot remember the last time Hetfield sounded this good live so it extra sucks that he had to go back to rehab again. Hope he pulls through.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be into Metallica, including seeing them live multiple times, but pretty much walked away when they decided their best move was to be the faces of suing the internet and crying about starving artists.

Also St.Anger was aptly named, since the production was so fucking bad it made me angry. Loudness-wars lo-fi garbage. Yeah, controversial opinion, I know.

Feb 12, 2019
I have still never seen K-ON. I binged through all of Amagi Brilliant Park today, which is also a very pretty Kyoto Animation series, but one with less "cute girls doing cute things" and more belligerent theme park mascots. It's good and funny and I recommend it. I'm sorry, that's the end of the conversation I can contribute to, as my heavy metal knowledge is lacking. Now I think I might just end up watching K-ON, so thanks for that.

But hey, on the video game front, I've gotten back to Control and I think I really like everything about Control except the part where I play it. No amount of sick telekinesis and dashing can really disguise that the shooting and encounter design is... workmanlike?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Recommend me your must-have Xcom 2 mods. I want to do the bestest playthrough evar
Kexx's Mass Effect stuff is all great. The voice packs that go with the characters (by various authors) are also good. Just make sure you get the mods for WotC or vanilla, not both. (Voice packs work with either, being WotC compatible just enables them for the faction classes.)

More Nations and Names.

Evac All. This is the WotC version. It's a good QoL feature.

Shaken Scars are Back. WotC version. Fixes a bug preventing shaken scars from appearing on soldiers.

Cinematic Rapid Fire (and other abilities). WotC version. Fixes a camera bug affecting a few abilities.

And I can't speak to these two (yet) since I haven't gotten the energy to play XCOM 2 again yet, but A Better Chosen and Mechtronic Total Spark Overhaul.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kexx's Mass Effect stuff is all great. The voice packs that go with the characters (by various authors) are also good. Just make sure you get the mods for WotC or vanilla, not both. (Voice packs work with either, being WotC compatible just enables them for the faction classes.)

More Nations and Names.

Evac All. This is the WotC version. It's a good QoL feature.

Shaken Scars are Back. WotC version. Fixes a bug preventing shaken scars from appearing on soldiers.

Cinematic Rapid Fire (and other abilities). WotC version. Fixes a camera bug affecting a few abilities.

And I can't speak to these two (yet) since I haven't gotten the energy to play XCOM 2 again yet, but A Better Chosen and Mechtronic Total Spark Overhaul.
Thanks, I installed a bunch of those!

Oct 25, 2017
Recommend me your must-have Xcom 2 mods. I want to do the bestest playthrough evar
Apart from the ones already mentioned I would ad Stop Wasting My Time and possibly Perfect Information.
The former just cuts down on unnecessary down time, the later gives you way more information on why your shot percentage is as low as it is, so you can maybe take actions to change that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a mod that kept everyone in permanent suppression fire as a visual effect that really helped make battles feel like, well, battles. Unfortunately I think it crashed the game of a battle went long enough...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I tried Stop Wasting My Time but it made combat feel too frantic. Though the only delay that ever bothered me was when the camera would hang in one spot for no reason, so I might not be the target audience for the mod.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are weird about it. If you have an office job there's no way you're "filthy" in the evening and need to shower before bed. This is some weird germophobic thinking. But you're definitely more smelly if you don't shower in the morning.